In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
By: lance layton
- 10. radio clash by the clash
this song also just rocks-sorry, could not come up with anything else.
- 9. one step beyond by madness
this song just rocks.
- 8. punk rock girl by the dead milkmen
this was actually my class song in high school.strange high school.
- 7. flowers of guetemala by r.e.m.
this song is best played during the day while sitting around.preferably drinking beer.
- 6. rio by duran duran
I used to live on a lake.I would take my "boom-box" on my little boat;drive at full throttle.With the wind whipping my hair-made me feel like i was in the video for "rio".?
- 5. just got lucky by joe boxers
if you have heard this song than you know why i picked it.
- 4. tenderness by general public
this song always seems to pop in my head when i think of the 80's-one of those feel-good tap your feet songs.
- 3. disentegration-the entire album by the cure
I went to school for art-this is what i listened to when i was doing my artwork-very inspirational!
- 2. suedehead by morrissey
this was a song my friends and I would sing at the top of our lungs when we were very intoxicated.Try it some time-get the whole party to join in!
- 1. overkill by men at work
this song personally brings back memories more so than any other 80's song.
this was my personal top 10-there are many other top 10 lists i could come up with-this just came to mind at the time.
- 10. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper
We just wanna! We just wanna!
- 9. I Might Like you Better (If We Slept Together) by Romeo Void
Thank You New Wave. The world is a better place because you existed.
- 8. I Know What Boys Like by The Waitresses
Nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah... boys like me!
- 7. Rio/Hungry Like The Wolf/Girls On Film by Duran Duran
This may be cheating, but it just goes to show how awesome Duran Duran is.
- 6. She Sells Sanctuary by The Cult
This song just... rocks something fierce.
- 5. Words by Missing Persons
What are words for, when no one listens anymore?
- 4. Rapture by Blondie
And you get in the car and you drive real far and you drive all night and you see a light and it comes right down and it lands on the ground and out comes the man from Mars and you try to run but he's gotta gun and he shoots you dead and he eats your head. AAAAGGGGHHHHH!!
- 3. Boys Don't Cry by The Cure
Although the Cure made many truly crescent fresh songs during the 80's, this simple, plaintive song is my favorite.
- 2. I'll Melt with You by Modern English
How can anyone not love this song? Mmm mmm mmm, mmm mmmm mmm mmm...
- 1. Bizarre Love Triangle by New Order
One of the best songs ever, not just in the 80's. I dunno.. it just gives me chills, New Order is always excellent...
Like every Madonna song in the 80's was very excellent. Also mad props to Cyndi Lauper for writing a song about masturbation (She Bop)
- 10. Save a Prayer,or THE REFLEX by Duran Duran
Can't really pick which one I liked better!
- 9. Get it on! Bang a Gong! by Power Station
What a funky tune! Plus Andy Taylor, John Taylor, and Robert Palmer!
- 8. Wild Boys by Duran Duran
The video was cool.
- 7. Hungry Like the Wolf by Duran Duran
Can you tell that at one time I was a Durannie?
- 6. Rio by Duran Duran
Makes you just want to hit the beach!
- 5. We Belong by Pat Bentar
Loved the whole thing!
- 4. Jump by Van Halen
The ultimate Bad Boys in rock!
- 3. Re-election Day by Arcadia
Well, got love that Nick Rhodes, Simon le Bon, and Roger Taylor thing!
- 2. Is there Something I Should Know? by Duran Duran
Well, this song got me singing.
- 1. New Moon On Monday by Duran Duran
Couldn't get enough of the whole Seven and the Ragged Tiger!
I had so many pics of Duran Duran all over my room. Plastered from the ceiling and all over the walls until my mom made me take them down. What memories!
By: roberto vega
bonus tracks..cry wolf aha king of pain police major tom peter schilling affair of the heart rick springfield the union of the snake duran duran queen of the broken hearts loverboy stranger in town toto time after time cindy lauper dance hall days wang chung overkill men at work heaven psychedelic furs i ran a flock of seagulls ..........
By: Jason Marcon
- 10. Tears Are Not Enough by The Northern Lights
- 9. One Night Love Affair by Bryan Adams
- 8. New Orleans Is Sinking by The Tragically Hip
- 7. My Town by Glass Tiger
- 6. Subdivisions by Rush
- 5. Patio Lanterns by Kim Mitchell
- 4. Boy Inside The Man by Tom Cochrane And Red Rider
- 3. You're A (Strange Animal) by Gowan
- 2. Tom Sawyer by Rush
- 1. Summer of '69 by Bryan Adams
By: Becky, Princess of Clubs
- 10. Love Plus One by Haircut One Hundred
Ay yi yi yi yi yeah. Yi yi yi yi yi yi yi yeah.
- 9. Sussudio by Phil Collins
It was between this and "Power of Love" by Huey Lewis and the News for Best Horn-Based Pop Song of The Summer Of 1985. Phil is an overall more important artist so I put him on the list
- 8. Morning Train by Sheena Easton
I am the only person on Earth who likes this song. I can't help it.
- 7. Bad Boy by Miami Sound Machine
More subtle than Conga (which I also love!) and less syrupy than her later ballads.
- 6. Touch of Grey by The Grateful Dead
Their first Top Ten hit and the song that brought many new Deadheads into the family. Those of us who stayed are glad we did.
- 5. Take On Me by a-ha
The song is great even without the video, which I consider to be the best video ever.
- 4. Come On Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners
One of the few '80s songs I hear EVERYWHERE...wedding receptions, St. Patrick's Day parties, people's mix tapes. One of the only Top 10 hits of the '80s to feature a banjo.
- 3. Super Freak by Rick James
"She likes the boys in the band/She says that I'm her all-time favorite..."
- 2. Let's Groove by Earth, Wind & Fire
For all my trumpet guys.
- 1. Give It Up by KC
When this came out, I thought it was an old unreleased KC and the Sunshine Band song. I had no idea it was newly recorded. He never lost the magic. Love you Snowy!
- 10. Think of Laura by Christopher Cross
Nothing I could say could possibly justify this selection. I just loved this song.
- 9. Heartbeat City by The Cars
Their most under-rated song
- 8. New Moon on Monday by Duran Duran
Loved that album cover
- 7. Always by Erasure
The remix is great, too. Very rarely the case.
- 6. Zippity Doo Dah by Ric Ocasek
Yes, THAT Zippity Doo Dah. From the Everything But The Mouse album. Walt Disney himself would have approved.
- 5. Holiday Road by Lindsay Buckingham
Theme to the movie Vacation. "My dad says I'm the best french kisser ever". Yuck.
- 4. Jet Boy, Jet Girl by Elton Motello
Gonna make you be a girl?
- 3. Starry Eyes by The Records
Little known band... too bad, they rocked.
- 2. Heartbeat City by The Cars
Oh Jackie... what took you so long? (I'd take my time too if I had to look at Ocasek's big ugly face)
- 1. Forever Young by Alphaville
Let us die young... or let us live forever. Chilling.
By: Tim Hobbs
- 10. Spoons by Nova Heart
- 9. Major Tom by Peter Schilling
- 8. Wonderful Life by Black
- 7. I Got You by Split Enz
- 6. How Soon is Now by The Smiths
- 5. Duel by Propaganda
- 4. Screamin Jets by Johnny Warman & Peter Gabriel
- 3. Fade to Grey by Visage
- 2. Never Never by Tha Assembly
- 1. She Sells Sanctuary by The Cult
Honourable mention goes to: Haircut 100 - Love Plus One Flock of Seagulls - I Ran Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights (was this 80's or very late 70's?) The Flying Pickets - Only You Art of Noise - Close (to the Edit)
By: Alvaro Carrillo
- 10. Owner Of A Lonely Heart by Yes
The best song of 1984!
- 9. I Heard A Rumor by Bananarama
The vocals on this song are great.
- 8. Take On Me by A-ha
The best part of this song is the music.
- 7. Flashdance (What a feeling) by Irene Cara
Great music, great vocals.
- 6. Every Breath You Take by The Police
A great song!
- 5. Everybody Wants To Rule The World by Tears for Fears
I never get tired of listening to this song.
- 4. Tonight, Tonight by Genesis
I like the music for this song
- 3. Beat It by Michael Jackson
The music on this song is cool
- 2. These Dreams by Heart
This song has awesome vocals!
- 1. Notorious by Duran Duran
In my opinion, this is Duran Duran's best song.
Two good songs that didn't make the list are Down Under by Men At Work and Heart and Soul by T'Pau. E-mail me to give your opinion about the list.
- 10. I Love Rock & Roll by Joan Jett & the Blackhearts
Even though it was mentioned earlier that has to be one of the best songs ever in my opinion she has to be the best female rocker ever
- 9. Spies Like Us by Paul McCartney
It Is Probably (with the exception of Ghostbusters)One of the Most Memorable strk. tunes in history I mean you can't tell me that you don't know the lyrics to that song can you?
- 8. Voices by Russ Ballard
It to me has to be one of the most unforgettable songs of the entire eighties
- 7. I'm An Adult Now by Pursuit of Happiness
It is such a truthful song of our life today as mature adults
- 6. Hello Again (Extended Mix) by Cars
One of the best songs to make you get up & dance
- 5. What About Me by Moving Pictures
It's just a beautiful song in my opinion
- 4. Hell Is For Children by Pat Benatar
A great song with a moral message
- 3. I Hate Myself For Loving You by Joan Jett & the Blackhearts
She is the ultimate Rock 'n' Roll queen she may not be the best looking but she is still a hell of a rocker even though it is nowhere near as good I Love Rock & Roll but it is still a great song
- 2. Should I See by Frozen Ghost
That to me has to be one of the best songs of the eighties that has a truthful meaning
- 1. Abracadabra by Steve Miller Band
It had to be one of the most catchy tunes of the entire eighties along with Don't You Want Me by the Human League
1:)Sex AS A Weapon / Pat Benatar 2:)Everybody Wants You / Billy Squier 3:)Welcome To The Jungle / Guns & Roses 4:)Still Of The Night / Whitesnake 5:)Sleeping Bag / ZZ Top 6:) Self Control / Laura Branigan & I can probably go on forever so I think it's time for me to shut up & quit
- 10. Time by Culture Club
- 9. Shock the Monkey by peter gabriel
- 8. white wedding by billy idol
- 7. Baby U left me (in the cold) by Marilyn
- 6. Cry and be free by Marilyn
- 5. like a virgin by madonna
- 4. Karma Chameleon by Culture Club
okay, Culture Club rules.
- 3. Do you really want to hurt me? by Culture Club
- 2. True by Spandau Ballet
- 1. Calling your name by Marilyn
Marilyn was a great singer, i still love him.
- 10. Africa by Toto
gotta love that mellow tune.
- 9. Rock the Casbah by The Clash
Tied with my other fav Clash songs, Tommy Gun, London calling, bank robber, should I stay or should I go, This is radio Clash, Clash city rockers, and I fought the law
- 8. Down Under by Men At Work
Tied with my other Fav Men At Works songs, Who can it be now, Its a mistake, still life, up on my roof, and underground
- 7. Rock Me Amadeus by Falco
- 6. Everybody Have Fun Tonight by Wang Chung
- 5. Saftey Dance by Men Without Hats
Tied with other fav Men Without... songs Living in China, anartica, and pop goes the world
- 4. Rio by Duran Duran
Tied with my other fav Duran Duran songs, Hungry like the wolf, planet earth, the reflex, save a prayer, and girls on film
- 3. Take On Me by AHA
Fav 80's video
- 2. Our House by Madness
- 1. Der Kommissar by After The Fire
Nothing to do with song 1, but just a note that these are in no particular order, just whatever i thought of first 1-10
None of these are in any real order... I could never make a fav top ten 80's list... I have hundreds of favs!!!
By: Josh Cantor
- 10. Keep Your Hands To Yourself by Georgia Satellites
The song is a fun throwback to rock n' blues songs of the 50's. The video is hilarious.
- 9. Can' t Fight This Feeling by REO Speedwagon
Kevin Cronin sings with such emotion. I feel the same emotions he does in this song.
- 8. Urgent by Foreigner
This song has a groove that is so funky it's hard to resist.
- 7. Kissing a Fool by George Michael
This song is a throwback to slow jazzy songs of the olden days performed by the likes of Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, and Nat King Cole.
- 6. Father Figure by George Michael
It truly is a shame that many will remember this legendary pop singer for his infamous bathroom incident. He is a great singer, songwriter, and producer. This song is an example of his best. This ballad is quite seducing.
- 5. Never Gonna Give You Up by Rick Astley
It's amazing how soulful a voice can come from a young man who looks like the neighborhood paperboy.
- 4. Nothing's Gonna Change My Love For You by Glen Medeiros
One of the best love songs ever.
- 3. We Don't Have To Take Our Clothes Off by Jermaine Stewart
Doesn't this guy sound like Steve Urkel?
- 2. Into The Night by Benny Mardones
Nobody sings with as much emotion as this extraordinary individual. Why he didn't have any other hits is beyond me.
- 1. Maneater by Hall & Oates
- 10. I Hate Myself for Loving You by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts
Grrr... I have to put this now cuz the guy I luv just hung up on me! This song really captures my feelings for guys I can't help falling for, even though they treat you rudely. This song is a MUST for expressing your feelings.
- 9. Video Killed the Radio Star by The Buggles
Fun, Fun, Fun.... on my Wedding Singer soundtrack
- 8. You Spin Me Round Baby (Like A Record) by Dead or Alive
Ah, this one is a perfect 80's example! It's so much fun! My friends and I all love to dance to this & just can't stop!
- 7. Don't You Want Me by Human League
Another fun one! "Don't you want me baby, don't you want me, ohhhhhhhh" I could (and do!) sing this walking down the street!
- 6. I Want You to Want Me by Cheap Trick
It's so catchy & easy to learn.. one fun song.
- 5. Somebody's Baby by Jackson Browne
"She must be somebody's baby, she's got to be somebody's baby" ...what a darling song!
- 4. Always Something There to Remind Me by Naked Eyes
This reminds me of all my past relationships...when you just can't let go... it's so sad, but what an amazing 80's hit.
- 3. Jack and Diane by John Mellencamp
This is just a GREAT song... everyone knows it. Life goes on...
- 2. Crash Boom Bang by Roxette
This is the sweetest sad song... Roxette is one of my favorite all-time singers! I'm shocked she's like nowhere on your lists! "Everytime I seem to fall in love...Crash Boom Bang"
- 1. What A Feeling by Irene Cara
It's so upbeat, cheerful, and INSPIRING.... I can never stop singing it!!! Take your passion and make it happen!
This website is awesome! I just found it from surfing the net and it gave me a lot of good ideas for 80's Music.... I can't stop myself from downloading all these songs listed from Napster. I'm only 15 years old so I missed the fabulous 80's era, but I got really into 80's music this year. Now I can't stop myself from falling in love with the songs. 80's music just stays in my head forever..... "I wanna rock and roll all night!"
- 10. any other song not inclued here by various
the 80s just plain and simply ruled...any body who grew up in the 80s will agree
- 9. jesses girl by rick springfield
just thought any song about stealing best friends girl was cool
- 8. come on eileen by dexys midnight runners
punch line to best joke of the 80s...whats worse than ketchup on your shirt?
- 7. parents just dont understand by dj jazzy jeff and the fresh prince
launched the rap craze and the will smith craze that just wont end.
- 6. i love rock and roll by joan jett and the blackhearts
first song i was facuated with
- 5. time (is like a clock in my heart) by culture club
the 80s were about weird hair and gay people and boy george defined both of those
- 4. make me lose control by eric carmen
just a damn good song
- 3. total eclipse of the heart by bonnie tyler
one of the best songs ever
- 2. money for nothing by dire straights
just cuase it said faggot and got away with it
- 1. valley girl by frank zappa
it just defined the valley craze that swept the nation in the early 80s
i really cant find a song on the other lists that dont bring a certain memorie back....so heres my list with nothing new except my own personal reasons...good job everyone...loungeboy
If I listed my top 1000 songs of all time I am sure they would all be from the 80's, I miss it.
Karma Chameleon by Culture Club, Down Under by Men at Work, Crazy For You by Madonna, In Your Eyes by Peter Gabriel, Lost in Your Eyes by Debbie Gibson, For The Longest Time by Billy Joel, True Colors By Cyndi Lauper
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.