Top Ten Lists of Eighties Albums
What are your top ten favorite albums from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: stingr22. Past editor: Junior
- 10. Tango in the Night by Fleetwood Mac
Remember Big Love, Little Lies and Seven Wonders? And those aren't even the best on the album.
- 9. Rio by Duran Duran
At the time, the coolest band around.
- 8. Thriller by Michael Jackson
No 80s list is complete without it...
- 7. The Joshua Tree by U2
- 6. Synchronicity by Police
Too bad they split up.
- 5. Purple Rain by Prince
Is Prince the best musician ever? Probably...
- 4. Appetite for Destruction by Guns N Roses
When Axl was cool...
- 3. Slippery When Wet by Bon Jovi
- 2. Like a Prayer by Madonna
Some of her most ambitious work... And who can forget the video?
- 1. Back in Black by ACDC
Epitomizes the 80s.
By: Alejandro Garrido
- 10. Ride The Lightning by Metallica
Metallica broke metal lines with this album, made them darker.
- 9. Puta's Fever by Mano Negra
The most importnat band from latin music style, fusion is rich and Manu Chao influenced all today's latin music.
- 8. Treasure by Cocteau Twins
A masterpiece, broke with the breakin dark style, made it beautiful
- 7. The Head n the Door by The Cure
The most innovative album from the Cure, broke british pop lines. Disintegration is a good album, but is influenced by Joy Division (Atmosphere, The Eternal) and Cocteau Twins sound
- 6. London Calling by The Clash
The Clash broke British music, ... and broke his style
- 5. Unknown Pleasures by Joy Division
A masterpiece, the real first post-punk album
- 4. Surfer Rosa by Pixies
Both, Sonic Youth and Pixies, changed USA music. it haven't a group today without their "influx"
- 3. Psychocandy by The Jesus and Mary Chains
This album breaks ordinary idea of New Wave, very important in British music
- 2. Daydream Nation by Sonic Youth
Sonic Youth marked points of USA music, Grunge must paid his existence to noise of Sonic Youth
- 1. Closer by Joy Division
The most important album from UK after White Album and The Piper at the Gates of Dawn. Today's British music couln't existing without this album, non Disintegration, Smiths, Radiohead, Placebo, etc.
This albums and bands maybe haven't great instrument players, but they are the most important for their influences in music. Other important albums are Master of Puppets, Kiss me Kiss me Kiss me, The number of The Beast, The Queen is Dead, and others, but they are less important
By: Gabe Ferguson
- 10. Born In The USA by Bruce Springsteen
The Boss blew his creative wad on this album. Starts with two great tracks and ends on four more great tracks.
- 9. No Jacket Required by Phil Collins
They don't make albums like this anymore.... not even Phil himself. By the way, "Don't Lose My Number" should've made his Greatest Hits album.
- 8. Ride The Lightning by Metallica
No matter how much my tastes in music change, this metal-masterpiece will continue to make my list.
- 7. Thriller by Michael Jackson
This album has fallen out of favor with me recently... but since it had always been a top-5'er for me, it still makes the list.
- 6. Back In The High Life by Steve Winwood
The first six tracks on this 8-track album are fantastic.
- 5. Look Sharp! by Roxette
This is wall-to-wall 80s cheese... brilliant.
- 4. Brothers In Arms by Dire Straits
The is simply a talented, musically-diverse band constructing a mindblowing compilation.
- 3. True Blue by Madonna
C'mon.... You can't tell me that top-to-bottom, this isn't her best album...
- 2. Bad by Michael Jackson
Bad, The Way You Make Me Feel, Smooth Criminal, Dirty Diana, Man In The Mirror.... SAME ALBUM!
- 1. Invisible Touch by Genesis
Only album I've ever heard where I enjoy every single track.
Apologies to REM, Van Halen, ZZ Top, Aerosmith, Heart, Guns & Roses, Billy Ocean, Huey Lewis & The News, INXS, Whitney Houston, The Police, and Bon Jovi. No apologies to U2 and Duran Duran (overrated hack bands).
By: ian hadlow
- 10. Rio by Duran Duran
- 9. Mirrage by Fleetwood Mac
- 8. Its A Kinda Magic by Queen
great album. princes of the universe guitar solo is wkd
- 7. Slippery When Wet by Bon Jovi
great up and in your face rock n roll. wanted dead or alive guitaring fantastic
- 6. True by Spandau Ballet
- 5. Unforgettable Fire by U2
great album fantastic songs. pride is a masterpiece
- 4. Bleach by Nirvana
what a start to a career
- 3. Brothers In Arms by Dire Straits
- 2. Thriller by Michael Jackson
- 1. The Joshua Tree by U2
u2 at the peak of their playing power in the 80's still haven't found what im looking for wkd track red hill mining town great
a rather unusual mix but hey they all have great qualities, some more than others perhaps but its a good mixture of music. and yeah i kinda like u2. did u guesss
By: Matt Y.
- 10. Life's Rich Pageant by R.E.M.
The greatest band to ever play together. They're still going strong.
- 9. Hounds Of Love by Kate Bush
Much like Brothers In Arms, this album is truly a great piece of work.
- 8. Hatful Of Hollow by The Smiths
A collection of truly amazing songs.
- 7. Just Can't Stop It by The English Beat
Fantastic dance album.
- 6. New Order by Substance
The ultimate album form the ultimate dance band of the 80's.
- 5. Brothers In Arms by Dire Straits
First CD I ever owned. Title song still sends shivers down my spine.
- 4. Catching up with... by Depeche Mode
I hate to put a "best of" in here, but this one is worth it.
- 3. Duran Duran by Duran Duran
Best side 2 of any album released.
- 2. Lexicon Of Love by ABC
Never really the same after this album.
- 1. The Hurting by Tears For Fears
My favorite album of all time.
- 10. Agent Provocateur by Foreigner
Nothing like mass-produced arena rock. I still want to know what love is.
- 9. Once Upon a Time by Simple Minds
Everybody only thinks of the Breakfas Club and I understand why but "Alive and Kicking" was a much better song.
- 8. Purple Rain by Prince
No matter what color he is wearing this is still his best work
- 7. Frontiers by Journey
"Faithfully" was like marvin gaye's "Let's Get It On" for white people
- 6. I Love Rock n' Roll by Joan Jett
Too bad they dont make straight ahead rock like this anymore
- 5. Kick by INXS
Makes sense that one of my favorite bands would make one one of the best albums
- 4. Hysteria by Def Leppard
Apologies to Pyromania
- 3. Sonic Temple by The Cult
Another album I listen to regularly.
- 2. Heart by Heart
Probably the best comeback album as far as singles on the charts by just about any band.
- 1. Joshua Tree by U2
I know it's falling in line with alot of people but it's still my favorite.
By: Mark Edmonds
- 10. Spike by Elvis Costello
A songmaster showing off.
- 9. Real People by Chic
Dancing on Disco's grave.
- 8. Where Angels Fear To Tread by Mink DeVille
One of the great lost albums of all time.
- 7. Snockgrass by Michael Hurley
A folkie with a sense of humour which is actually funny.
- 6. New Sensations by Lou Reed
Happy Lou?? Is this the end of the world as we know it?
- 5. Freedom by Neil Young
Is "Crime in the City" his best track ever?
- 4. Fegmania! by Robyn Hitchcock
Funny, strange, sick, sad.
- 3. Making History by Linton Kwesi Johnson
Great Great Great reggae album. Dance and be preached at.
- 2. English Settlement by XTC
Art-pop which is both clever and hooky.
- 1. Strange Angels by Laurie Anderson
A pop album about death and wage equality.
So many good albums made in the 80's; so few great ones though.
- 10. Knee Deep in the Hoopla by Starship
I could build a city of Rock and Roll when I listened to this record
- 9. The Seeds of Love by Tears for Fears
If I put this album.. would I sow my seeds of love? :)
- 8. Tug of War by Paul McCartney
This record is very nice. I love all pop tracks on it!
- 7. Different Light by Bangles
I just Walk like an Egyptian when I Listen to this album!!!
- 6. Pipes of Peace by Paul McCartney
This record is also one of Paul McCartney´s best works!! And the Pipes of peace video is also good!!!!
- 5. Slippery When Wet by Bon Jovi
I LOVE THIS ROCK 'N ROLL RECORD!!!!!!!! It really makes me JUMP!
- 4. No Protection by Starship
This is one of the best pop albums in the world for me!!!
- 3. 99 Luftballons by Nena
This is the record of my favourite 80's song. I think I am not right, 'cos I like Nena but I don´t know much 'about her :'(
- 2. Songs from the Big Chair by Tears for Fears
This is a Pop kinda album!! Curt Smith looks very handsome on the cover......*-) But the album is excellent, though Tears for Fears is one of the favorite groups of the boy I love!!!!
- 1. Flowers in the Dirt by Paul McCartney
NO ONE MENTIONS HIM!!!!!! :( I think this is his best solo album. I enjoy every single track, specially "Motor of Love"!! Paul McCartney is my favourite male singer!!!!!!!
Sorry If I don´t include artists like U2, Michael Jackson, etc. But I just have these records of 80's and I'm a big Fan of Paul McCartney. But I tell ya the truth when I say I LOVE 80'S!!! 'cos I love'em and I just have compilations of hits and Paul McCartney Records!!
- 10. The Nephilim by Fields of the Nephilim
The Nephilim is a beautiful dark album that gets better and better each time you play it..The album that followed is even better..
- 9. The Dreaming by Kate Bush
The sound, the songs, the voice it's all so unique and the album still sounds like nothing I've ever heard before.
- 8. Ocean Rain by Echo & The Bunnymen
After seing Donnie Darko I played this one again and re-discovered this beautiful new-wave album.
- 7. Tinderbox by Siouxsie and the Banshees
The Banshees sound accessible yet remain true to their original sound.
- 6. Sulk by Associates
Highly original, experimental and who could resist such a beautiful voice..
- 5. Transcendence by Crimson Glory
Power-metal at its best! Hints of Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden and Queensryche.
- 4. Some Great Reward by Depeche Mode
Synth-bands never sounded as emotional as Depeche Mode did on this album.
- 3. Master of Puppets by Metallica
The album that they could never top. Every song a true metal-classic.
- 2. Operation: mindcrime by Queensryche
Intelligent concept album that's still ahead of its time...
- 1. Dreamtime by The Cult
Every song a true postpunk classic!
Previous List or Next List
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Albums submission page.