Top Ten Lists of Eighties Albums
What are your top ten favorite albums from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: stingr22. Past editor: Junior
By: Andrew Aldridge
- 10. Supertrooper by Abba
Great Swedish music
- 9. Bad by Michael Jackson
The King of Pop
- 8. Thriller by Michael Jackson
The biggest selling album in the world
- 7. The Magic Of... by Boney M
Some good Caribbean music
- 6. You Can Dance by Madonna
Madonna's first few hits with a few added tracks
- 5. Who's That Girl by Madonna
From one of Madonna's many films the - title track was number one
- 4. Like A Prayer by Madonna
Filled with controversy for a great album
- 3. Madonna by Madonna
Features all her great early catchy tunes
- 2. Like A Virgin by Madonna
Considered to be Madge's best album to date
- 1. True Blue by Madonna
Madonna's second biggest album selling 20 millon copies worldwide
- 10. Cher (1987) / Heart Of Stone (1989) by Cher
The albums that reinvented her as a proper rock chick thanks to the writing and production of Bon Jovi/ Desmond Child / Diane Warren and Michael Bolton 4 brilliant songwriters put together to make 2 amazing albums.
- 9. Appetite For Destruction (1987) by Guns N' Roses
Never used to really like this album but after listening to it over and over again realized that every song is completely amazing in fact the two worst tracks here are two of the songs which were actually singles 'It's So Easy' and 'Paradise City'.
- 8. Richard Marx (1987) / Repeat Offender (1989) by Richard Marx
Under-rater over here in Britain but every single (10 in total) from these two amazing albums was a top 5 in America listening to it, it's not hard to see why.
- 7. Greatest Hits (1989) by Billy Ocean
Normally wouldn't put on a greatest hits but this deserved to be here despite only being a collection from 3 of his albums no music collection should be without it.
- 6. Thriller (1982) / Bad (1987) by Michael Jackson
The King's two greatest creations deserved every bit of success they recieved (Biggest selling album ever 60 Million copies - Thriller and Bad sold 30).
- 5. Top Gun (1986) by Soundtrack
My favorite film and album since I was born. Watched the film and listened to the soundtrack more times than any other movie or album.
- 4. Reckless (1984) / Into The Fire (1987) by Bryan Adams
Two more albums with not one bad song. Reckless is completely perfect and the follow up despite sounding completely different still deserves its place here.
- 3. Pyromania (1983) / Hysteria (1987) by Def Leppard
Second only to Bon Jovi in the greatest hair metal albums ever list. Great sound - every song could easily be a number one. Well worth the 5 year wait.
- 2. Born In The U.S.A (1984) / The River (1980) by Bruce Springsteen
Not one bad song on U.S.A the Boss' best album but River had to go on here to because there's too many good songs to leave it off, particularly the title track.
- 1. Slippery When Wet (1986) / New Jersey (1988) by Bon Jovi
The greatest band ever. Bar none. 2 perfect albums - not one bad song on either. New Jersey the slightly better album because it's harder and more Springsteen inspired than Slippery.
11. 1987 ('Whitesnake') / Slip Of The Tongue (1989) - Whitesnake. Liked all of their albums but these two mixed their classic sound with hair metal resulting in two of the best rock albums ever. 12. Tiffany (1987) - Tiffany Surprsingly brilliant debut from a teen who made videos in shopping malls. Not one bad song here and overall the album has a more soft rock sound than teen pop. 13. Heaven On Earth (1987) / Runaway Horses (1989) - Belinda Carlisle Two more brilliant rock albums where every song sounds like a chart topping single and most of them were. 14. The Essential - Journey Another compilation, not technically 80s but CD1 of this one was the 1988 hits compilation and CD2 is all the tracks they couldn't fit on that. Never really got any success in Britain but definitely one of the greatest groups ever. 15. No Jacket Required (1985) - Phil Collins Had to have one album of his on here and this is probably my favorite. Another album of singles from a truly brilliant artist. Couldn't really narrow it down to 10 and there's still loads of my favorites missing and considering I was born in '87 probably loads I haven't discovered. Long Live the 80s.
- 10. Back In Black by AC/DC
A great rock n roll album with great guitar work!!
- 9. Purple Rain by Prince
This man is a genius and a great song writer, his vocals are unique, and this album was a monster of a hit!!
- 8. London Calling by The Clash
A great album which showed in true honesty the English rock scene at it's best!!
- 7. Scary Monsters by David Bowie
A great album with great production!!
- 6. Pictures At Eleven by Robert Plant
Although I personally feel that Plant never had the same magic with Led, I feel that this album was his best solo album and it did have influences from his Zeppelin days!!
- 5. Thriller by Michael Jackson
There is suspicion surrounding his personal life, however the man was a genius when it came to producing music and performing it!! He is a legend in musical terms!!
- 4. War by U2
An Irish band to break on to the scene in such a way showed how talented they were and still are today!!
- 3. Appetite For Destruction by Guns n' Roses
Axl was a great front man!! Slash is one of the great guitar players of our era!! With these combined and other band members talents it produced a monster of an album!! It still sells today!!
- 2. Whitesnake by Whitesnake
Another great rock album!! The vocals on this album are amazing and the guitar work is to be much complimented!!
- 1. Slippery When Wet by Bon Jovi
An unbelievable album, which epitomized the 80s era of rock!
- 10. Bat Out Of Hell by Meat Loaf
- 9. New Jersey by Bon Jovi
- 8. The Wall by Pink Floyd
- 7. Forever Young by Alphabille
- 6. A-ha by A-ha
- 5. Best Of Meat Loaf by Meat Loaf
- 4. Rattle and Hum by U2
- 3. Slippery When Wet by Bon Jovi
- 2. Kick by INXS
- 1. Joshua Tree by U2
By: Rodrigo Gomes da Paix„o
By: BYRON BENGUCHE
Honorable Mention: "Appetite For Destruction" - Guns n' Roses "Tougher Than Leather" and "Rock Box" - Run DMC
Previous List or Next List
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Albums submission page.