In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
- 10. Do They Know It's Christmas & We Are The World by Band Aid & The American Version
I felt proud to be a human being when the world united with these two songs.
- 9. Calling Your Name And Cry And Be Free by Marilyn
His album Despite Straight Lines was very underrated. He can write some truly beautifully worded songs.
- 8. You Spin Me Round by Dead or Alive
my favourite band of the 80's - everything they did rocked my world.
- 7. Lets Go Crazy, When Doves Cry, Purple Rain by Prince
remember the times?
- 6. Throw Your Arms Around Me by Hunters and Collectors
Still makes me sad
- 5. Catch Me I'm Falling by Real Life
I can still remember skating around a roller-skating rink singing to this song. Great drumming.
- 4. True Colours and Time after Time by Cyndi Lauper
There is no other angelic voice that could comfort the listener through these two songs, like hers.
- 3. Nothing Compares To You by Sinead O'Connor
Who doesn't go there?
- 2. Would I Lie To You? by Eurythmics
My 80's list for Eurythmics is endless - Annie's solo in the 90's is poignant and precise - her eloquence is unmatched
- 1. Smalltown Boy by Bronksi Beat
This song is my most treasured, and so is the album Age of Consent. Jimmy Sommerville "you the man!"
I still have every record I bought from the 80's. Every single, every 12", every album. I must have close to 1000 records. Think I'll treat myself to a new turntable. Thanks everyone, this has been a wonderful trip down memory lane.
- 10. Total Eclipse Of The Heart by Bonnie Tyler
God I wish my voice was that sexy
- 9. Africa by Toto
Although I'd never go to Africa, this song makes it sound great :)
- 8. Boys Of Summer by Dan Henley
Don't you just love his voice?
- 7. Jack & Diane by John Cougar Melloncamp
Classic song that you can still sing to today
- 6. Jessie's Girl by Rick Springfield
My mom wouldn't forgive me if I didn't put this on the list, this is the one song I rocked out and sang with her at his concert
- 5. Don't You Forget About Me by Simple Minds
Song from the best movie ever made, and it fits the soundtrack and vibe of the movie perfectly
- 4. If You Leave by Physcadelic Furs
- 3. It Must've Been Love by Roxette
Awww, this used to make me cry about my ex, but it seriously is a great song
- 2. Take On Me by A-Ha
The song that first made me interested in 80's songs, priceless
- 1. When Doves Cry by Prince
My favorite song of all time actually
80's music kicks ass, even though I'm only 15, I happen to love 80's music
- 10. Rappers Delight by Sugarhill Gang
Between this song and "The Message" Rap got it's roots
- 9. Let's Wait Awhile by Janet Jackson
- 8. Don't Worry Be Happy by Bobby McFerrin
Far and away the most underated muscician of his time ........ LOL well he could play drums on his chest really good ..... Happy Song of the 80's
- 7. Second Chance by 38 Special
another song that bring back memories
- 6. Waiting For The Star To Fall by Boy Meets Girl
I'm glad someone else also put this song on there list , it was a really sweet song , and bring back memories ....... ( understand I was like 8 at the time :)
- 5. Here and Now by Luther Vandross
Some of the best lyrics ever in a love song ;)
- 4. Human Nature by Michael Jackson
IMO Michael Jackson's best song
- 3. Overjoyed by Stevie Wonder
A very happy love song !
- 2. Endless Love by Lionel Richie and Diana Ross
An excellent wedding song , very sweet.
- 1. Nightshift by Commodores
A Song with a nice feel , and a good tribute to Marvin Gaye and Jackie Wilson
- 10. She Blinded Me With Science by Thomas Dolby
Even the midi files are good....well, maybe good isn't the right word...perhaps memorable? I like maniacal way he yells "SHE BLINDED ME WITH SCIENCE!!!!"
- 9. Wake Me Up by WHAM
Forget about George Michael nowadays--and appreciate the song for what it is.
- 8. 867-5309 (Jenny) by Tommy Tutone
This is the number I give out to people who ask. If they know what it's from---then maybe they can call me.
- 7. Video Killed the Radio Star by The Buggles
This is a good song to listen to while you're driving. I'm not sure why. But it is.
- 6. Thriller by Michael Jackson
Michael Jackson and Vincent Price...who would've thought?
- 5. Rock Me Amadeus by Falco
1985-Rockstar Falco performs "Rock Me Amadeus" 2003--still one of the best songs ever.
- 4. 99 Red Balloons by Nena
This song really grows on you. Almost annoyingly so.
- 3. In Your Eyes by Peter Gabriel
Just Listen, close your eyes and take it all in.
- 2. Mr. Roboto by Styx
Two words: Domo Domo.
- 1. Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic by The Police
I twirl around in my room and scream 'MAGIC MAGIC MAAAAGIC' at the end....the song just makes me happy.
- 10. Video Killed the Radio Star by Buggles
I just love the "Oooh-a-oooh"!
- 9. Take On Me by Aha!
Cool video, I didn't really like it on the radio but I got this CD and loved it!
- 8. Walk Like An Egytian by Bangles
It has really funny lyrics, and it's a great song to dance to.
- 7. Kiss On My List by Daryl Hall & John Oates
when you chill-out you could listen to this song
- 6. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper
another one of my eighties idols
- 5. Oh Yeah by Yello
I heard this in Ferris Bueller's Day Off and just started singing it all the time
- 4. I Think We're Alone Now by Tiffany
if somebody asked me to pick Debbie Gibson or Tiffany I'd probably say Tiffany cuz she's one of my eighties idols and has a great voice
- 3. Tainted Love by Soft Cell
it has this robotic thing to it that just made me fall in love with it
- 2. 867-5309/Jenny by Tommy Tutone
I like the guitar solo in it a lot
- 1. Weird Science by Oingo Boingo
i just love this song its great to listen to if you're having a party
I'm such an Eighties Girl.
- 10. Invisible Touch by Genesis
she seems to have that invisible touch yeah! so do you, Phil
- 9. Life Is A Highway by White Snake
you goin my way?
- 8. Pour Some Sugar on Me by Def Leopard
im hot, sticky, sweet from my head to my feet... gross
- 7. Sledgehammer by Peter Gabriel
what can i say? its peter gabriel.
- 6. Safety Dance by Men Without Hats
we can dance, we can dance.. everybody look at your hands!
- 5. Don't You Want Me Baby? by I Dont Know
one hit wonder!
- 4. Thriller by Michael Jackson
- 3. Don't You Forget About Me by Simple Minds
I wish i coulda been in the breakfast club.
- 2. Separate Ways/Dont Stop Believin' by Journey
Steve Perry is the man.
- 1. Jesse's Girl by Rick Springfield
this song is AWESOME! dont you wish YOU had Jesse's girl? Best 80's song by far
foreigner - hot blooded is also good.. it would be 11. I LOVE THE 80's :)
There are SO many more! Why don't the 80's stations play my songs? (and if you say its because my songs suck, you're in for it!) Anyone else out there like any of these?
By: Paul Dayton
- 10. My Ever Changing Mood by The Style Council
Reminds me of the Summer of 84, which I spent working Down The Jersey Shore.My circle was into The Jam, which went on to form The Style Council.
- 9. Whenever Your On My Mind by Marshall Crenshaw
Just plain good.
- 8. The Edge of Forever by The Dream Academy
The second song on the debut album after "Life in a Northern Town" which I also like very much.
- 7. Always The Sun by The Stanglers
So New Wave. It could only be from the 80s when one hears it even for the first time.
- 6. Wouldn't it be good by Nik Kershaw
I just plain like it.
- 5. I'll be You by The Replacements
Here's the deal. You be me for a while and I'll be you.
- 4. Just Like Honey by Jesus and Mary Chain
Brooding and happy all at once.
- 3. Bring on the Dancing Horses by Echo and The Bunnymen
Can be found on the "Pretty in Pink" soundtrack. Echo was one of the 80s underrated bands. That is a good thing for those who liked original alternative to stay that way.
- 2. When Love Breaks Down by Prefab Sprout
Love song with new wave hooks.
- 1. Whisper To a Scream by Icicle works
Good bouncy 80s keyboards and guitars with strong lyrics, but enough edge to not be ruined by commercial radio.
I am more of a new wave aficionado more so than an 80s one. New wave was an 80s genre, but I lean more towards the music of 80s college radio. There was a loyal following of the music and the musicians that I prefer. However, commercial radio never got to the chance to totally ruin these bands. They never got the chance to to give their translation of them to the public. This when alternative was alternative, not mainstream like todays's supposed alternative.
By: Michael Koziol
- 10. Manic Monday by The Bangles
OK, it's a short, sweet and simple song, and it doesn't compare musically to the others, but it is SO 80's - and fun to listen to on a dreary Monday Morning!
- 9. Just Like Jesse James by Cher
I really love this song and would have put it near the top except that I already had one of Cher's up there. As I said my favourite artist of all time, this one just scraped into the 80's being release in late 1989......
- 8. Waiting For A Girl Like You by Foreigner
Couldn't miss out on Foreigner, and I put this one ahead of I Wanna Know What Love Is, really don't know why, just personal appeal. Still played on MIX 106.5 today, sounds like it's come right out of the mid-90's too.
- 7. Another Day In Paradice by Phil Collins
Can't have a best of 80's without Phil. Very deep lyrics in this song, I've known people to cry during this song (just like Total Eclipse).
- 6. It Must Have Been Love by Roxette
Very heartfelt song. I always thought of it as a 90's song [I even saw it on a 'best of the 90's CD'](in fact, Careless Whisper & Total Eclipse remind me of the 90's aswell). There were some nice lyrics there aswell, e.g - I wake up lonely, is there a silence, in the bedroom, all around.....
- 5. Careless Whisper by George Michael / Wham
Such a good song, deserved higher than 5th position, but it already got a lot of mention from others (and I wouldn't wanna seem cliche!) Viva la sax-a-ma-phone!
- 4. Keep Me Hangin' On by Kim Wilde
'Get out - get out of my life'! - it's a fun song, very 80's too, and you gotta love those lyrics.
- 3. You're The Voice by John Farnham
If you've ever heard this song live you'll know what I mean (his last performance @ the 2003 Arias was AMAZING!).
- 2. I Found Someone by Cher
This was my #1 80's song for a while, until I found Total Eclipse. I'm absolutely shocked that this wasn't on anyone's list! It's one of the best songs from my favourite artist of all time: Cher. 'I Found Someone' was the 80's song that prepared her for all her 90's hits like 'If I Could Turn Back Time'. You listen to this song and the power of the music and her voice really blows you away!
- 1. Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler
What can I say? WOW! This is just a pure classic, one of those marathon songs (7 minutes full version) that comes along once in a while and consists of everything a brilliant song should - great voice, great sound, great lyrics. Such an emotional song, kind of like It's All Coming Back To Me Now by Celine Dion in the 90's. I never understood the video though, with all the children (with the freaky eyes) and Tyler was the professor, and there were lots of mythical dancers...........???? Anyway, brilliant song.
I haven't lived a second in the 80's (born in 1990) and so I don't have a great knowledge of the decade. But from what I have heard, these songs totally stand out, and I would encourage everyone to just listen to them if you haven't heard them before. NB - 'If I Could' by 1927 is a great love song, I'm not sure whether it was 80's or 90's though. Also, you won't regret buying 'The Very Best of Cher' - I believe it is the best album to ever come out. I love the 90's but the 80's were the foundation!
By: Engelbert ter Kuile
So hard to choose just 10 i have at least 50 songs from the 80's i still rock to
By: Carver Baker
- 10. Wanted dead or alive/Run away by Bon Jovi
Its a tie because withwanted dead or alive you get a serious side of the group and a feel like wow.Runaways catchy tie.
- 9. Lick It Up by Kiss
Lick it up wierd name great song first video Kiss did without the makeup I guess thats how it got popular I love the albulm too.
- 8. Take On Me by Aha
The whole video consept of the two teens meeting in a comic and falling in love with each other is well cheesy but my-god the ACTION! The motorcycle racing and chasing it turned it from a teen girly video to a guy thing too.
- 7. Love Song by The Cure
The cure silenced the globe with this awsome love song the cure are all about timeing when their in a sad mood they write sad songs like boys dont cry when their happen they wirte songs like just like heaven when their in love they write love song.
- 6. Voices Carry by Til Tuesday
I honestly thought when I first heard this song shed last til Monday but then I got into it and the concept of it is very powerful good 4 her.
- 5. She-bop by Cyndi Lauper
The funniest song ive ever heard and the video was genius the concept of the song im not sure of.
- 4. Wild Boys by Duran Duran
Ill admit it this video was cheesy with that chinese new year dragon pulling Simon Lebon around the ground head first nearly to death.
- 3. Smooth Operator by Sade
The first love song I got into Sades voice is excellent and exotic.
- 2. Back In Black by AC/DC
Dunt, dunt,dunt,dunt,dunt,dunt,dunt,dunt,dunt,dunt,dunt,dunt,dunt, you say that to anyone in the world they'll automatically know this is AcDcs classic song.
- 1. One More Try by George Micheal
George Micheal wow?Powerful words. The video is perfect not too much just George in like a dark attic in his legendary leather coat against a wall with the moon sighly covering half his face and his shadow this song is deep.
- 10. Wishing I Was Lucky by Wet Wet Wet
- 9. Dinner With Gershwin by Donna Summer
I want to get next to you next to you......1987
- 8. No Memory by Scarlet Fantastic
We've got no memory tonight
- 7. Its Over by Level 42
- 6. The Night You Murdered Love by ABC
Its cool outside the night love died.......1987
- 5. Call Me by Spanga
- 4. Lets Wait Awhile by Janet Jackson
- 3. Stay Out Of My Life by Five Star
The pearsons from Essex...1987
- 2. Over The Hills And Far Away by Gary Moore
- 1. Big Fun by Gap Band
Were having big fun.......1987
Homer J Simpson and 1987
By: Leroy Brown
- 10. Saturday Love by Cherelle with Alexander O'Neill
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday Love.....1986
- 9. Move Away by Culture Club
Move Move Move away.......1986
- 8. A Different Corner by George Micheal
Turn a different corner..........1986
- 7. Can't Wait Another Minute by Five Star
- 6. Too Good To Be Forgotten by Amazulu
- 5. Whats The Colour Of Money by Hollywood Beyond
I Know its red........1986
- 4. Amityville (The House On The Hill) by Lovebug Starski
- 3. Shiver by George Benson
- 2. The Wizard by Paul Hardcastle
Ha ha ha ........1986
- 1. On My Own by Patti Labette & Micheal Mcdonald
Once again now.........1986
Leroy Brown and 1986
- 10. Drop The Pilot by Joan Armatrading
I used love this song! reminds me of Sunday nights as an 11 or 12 year old, the one night a week they had half an hour of music videos on TV, maybe it was Saturday.....
- 9. Rebel Yell by Billy Idol
this song rocked!
- 8. Only Shooting Love by Timebandits
a classic eighties song, still have a copy!
- 7. Turn Me Loose by Loverboy
This song has lots of memories
- 6. Fade to Grey by Visage
- 5. Pass The Dutchie by Musical Youth
what 11 year old didnt love this song?
- 4. Final Countdown by Europe
what can I say? just love it!
- 3. Freeze Frame by J Geils band
the first time I heard this song I was roller skating in my tube skirt and BIG shirt!
- 2. Freebird Melody/love Your Way by Will to Power
one of those songs that takes you back!
- 1. Fascination by Human League
dont know why I still love this song, I think its the deep voice in the chorus
Tainted (softcell) land down under (men at work) come on Eileen (Dexy's midnight runners) one love(Bob Marley) too shy (kajagoogoo) more than this (Roxy music)break my stride (Matthew wilder) Addicted to love (Robert Palmer)The walls come down (Wall?) Hit me with your best shot, call me, I ran, super freak, slave to love (bryan Ferry)
- 10. I Don't Like Mondays by Boomtown Rats
typical choice, i know. this song always cheered me up. then i found out what it really was about. then it just cracked me up.
- 9. That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore by The Smiths
one of my favourites ever.
- 8. Seabird Seamoan by Belfegore
- 7. Tarzan Boy by Baltimora
i used to love this video. fun fun.
- 6. The Promise by Arcadia
- 5. Jerusalem by Alphaville
great song. everyone else might have preferred "big in japan" but that's alright too.
- 4. Square Rooms by Al Corley
he's probably selling insurance with rick astley & co.
- 3. Der Kommissar by After The Fire
everyone likes this song.
- 2. Modern Love Is Automatic by A Flock Of Seagulls
proof that the 80s ruled.
- 1. All The Same by A Drop In The Gray
consolation prizes to kon kan - "i beg your pardon", depeche mode - "photographic", kraftwerk - "das modell", and countless others. this was fun.
By: Fernando Goulart
- 10. Dangerzone (Top Gun Theme) by Kenny Logins
Iīm a big movie fan... And the 8Oīs brought some great movies (at least for my age at the time) and some powerfull soundtrack...
- 9. The Captain of her Heart by Double
- 8. Walking on Sunshine by Katrina and the Waves
What a clear and happy song, with a beautiful voice... The movie also helped glue it to our mind...
- 7. Eye of the Tiger by Survivor
This one is a punch in the stomach (no pun intended)... Who doesīt like Rocky (I donīt men Stallone)?
- 6. Waiting For a Girl Like You by Foreigner
This is one of the best love song of all time... Period...
- 5. Africa by Toto
I just love their chorus... And their melody and lyrics are great too... I miss those love songs...
- 4. Maneater by Hall and Oates
The beat is awesome and the lyrics are great...
- 3. Self Control by Laura Branigan
I just love this song... Nice lyrics and her voice is something...
- 2. Wanna Be Startin Something by Michael Jackson
Why did he become this sorry freak? He was a genius... Who canīt dance with this song?
- 1. Something About You by Level 42
The best song in the world, forever... It will be a 1000 years before another song like that comes up...
Damn, how I miss the 80īs (and Iīm only 28)... They donīt make songs like this anymore... And I could list a lot of other awesome groups here, like Men At Work, Dire Straits, Duran Duran, etc., the classics that eveybody loves, and thereīs nothing like it today...
By: Javier The Xavier (Viva Chile!)
- 10. A Little Respect by Erasure
great band, and great sound
- 9. The Cryng Game by Culture Club
- 8. Policy of Truth by Depeche Mode
The king of new wave, again
- 7. Only Wanna be With You by Hootie and The Blowfish
Great! - Not 80s.
- 6. Suicide Blonde by INXS
One of the most popular bands of the 80s, no more words.
- 5. Who can it be now by Men at Work
New wave, one more time here. Tremendous group
- 4. Steam by Peter Gabriel
This is a classical voice of the 80s, Peter Gabriel.
- 3. Take on Me by A-ha
One of the best songs of this group, another new wave master band
- 2. Shout by Tears for Fears
Another inmortal Group
- 1. Depeche Mode by Enjoy the Silence
The kings of new wave, that's all, the best of the best
I can't think of any more great 80's songs than are mentioned above. Ohhh, to have those radio stations again! I have a question; anybody recognize the following chorus "Shangri la, Shangri la Tell me where your heroes are Tell me, where have they gone? In the darkest of dreams, is a land without (seams?) Girl you know Id die for your love" Do you know what it's like to have a song in your head for about 15 years and not know who did it or the correct words???? Please, I would really appreciate the help. Thanks for considering.
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.