In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
By: Heather Brown
- 10. Send Her My Love by Journey
Steve Perry is my idol. Always has been, always will be.
- 9. True by Siouxsie and the Banshees
Can't help it...it's just good and sappy.
- 8. The Smiths by How Soon is Now
Morrissey, depression, celibacy in the 80's, the color black...ahh, the joy of my youth.
- 7. The Style Council by You're The Best Thing
I've got a fascination with modsters, peg-legged pants, and Paul Weller
- 6. Soft Cell by What
I had this friend in high school (Christine) who introduced me to Marc Almond and I have been eternally grateful to her because I love both him and all of his music
- 5. In Your Eyes by Peter Gabriel
Say Anything...John Cusack... Romance and being a teenager
- 4. The Cure by Fascination Street
I didn't do drugs as a teenager, but if I had...it would have been to this song.
- 3. Love Comes Quickly by Pet Shop Boys
This song reminds me of everything good that ever happened to me when I was 16.
- 2. Shake The Disease by Depeche Mode
It's D-Mode...there doesn't need to be an explanation. They are simply the Gods of the 80's.
- 1. Nowhere Girl by B-Movie
The all-time best 80's song, unfortunately performed by a band that would disappear, never to be heard from again.
By: Bruno Belgium
- 10. Fade To Grey by Visage
This is where the new romantics started -without visage there would not have been Duran Duran, Ultravox, Spandau ballet and so on...
- 9. Last Christmas by Wham
Each year i am waiting for xmas so mtv will broadcast this warm clip again. (it also has a message about falling in love with your best friends girl...)
- 8. Never Ending Story by Limahl
aaaaaaah the movy about a young boy and his fantasy book --- realy love it
- 7. Safety Dance by Men Without Hats
a real classic party song
- 6. Euroshima (Wardance) by Snowy Red
Where new-beat started in the eighties. Try to find this belgian classic
- 5. Louise by Human League
Such a cool song about meeting your ex girlfriend after al those years
- 4. Break My Stride by Mathew Wilder
maybe the songtitle don't ring a bell but wait till you hear it...
- 3. You Can Win If You Want by Modern Talking
You would be amazed what the germans did for us in the 80's
- 2. Big In Japan by Alphaville
Great eighties classic
- 1. Wonderful Life by Black
This is such an emotional song
The eighties were so cool , so sad that it will never come back... my regards also to Falco, Aha, Thompson twins, Molly Ringwald... You can mail me to talk about the 80's on brunokeerbergen@hotmail.....(i'm from belgium)
- 10. Tomorrow by U2
The best U2 song ever. I don't understand why they didn't play it live in concert. I know it's about Bono's mother death, but...
- 9. Orange Crush by REM
The best REM song, a classic. Terribly sad too
- 8. I Don't Believe You by Talk Talk
Elegant pop and these voice of Mr Hollis so sad... I never understood why they didn't have a great success
- 7. Mistify by INXS
100% pop. They looks so beautiful in the video... I wanted to be like Michael, to wear the same boots and the same hair.
- 6. Synchronicity by The Police
Modern sound in that years.We thought Sting had good ideas and a better future. Sadly we were wrong
- 5. Colder Than The Kiss by Snake Corps
It's impossible not to cry listening it. The chorus is the best I've ever heard.
- 4. The Reflex by Duran Duran
If I think about eighties, I think about Duran Duran. Their best song of their best album.
- 3. How Soon Is Now by The Smiths
Uf, it's only one of the thousand best songs of Smiths. These guitar shaking and the voice of Morrisey is impressive.
- 2. Suedehead by Morrissey
After you listen the song it's impossible to put it out of your head the rest of your life. Thank you Steven Patrick!!
- 1. Torture by The Cure
Perfect in depressive moments. The best band ever
Order from the best (1) to the less best(10). Terrible hesitates to do this list, but good excuse to listen again a lot of good songs. THANKS!!
- 10. If Love Should Go by Streets
A Steve Walsh (Kansas) solo song that I still play all the time.
- 9. Photograph by Def Leppard
Over played at the time, but still holds up.
- 8. Missing You by HSAS
My favorite Sammy Hagar song, great guitar my Neal Schon.
- 7. Sister Christian by Night Ranger
Love this Night Ranger classic.
- 6. Aldo Nova by Rumours of You
- 5. High Enough by Damn Yankees
My favorite Tommy Shaw song, and he has a lot of gems.
- 4. Only Time Will Tell by Asia
Great Lyrics. Awesome vocals. " As sure as the sun will cross the sky, this lie is over."
- 3. Mother, Father by Journey
Haunting. Full of emotion. A great message of faith and hope.
- 2. Survivor by I See You In Everyone
A deep track off their best album.
- 1. Separate Ways (Worlds Apart) by Journey
An awesome love song. Steve Perry Sings this one from the heart.
Music will never be the same, in this era of boy/girl bands, and flavor of the month bands, 80's music has stood the test of time.
By: Steve Fontaine
- 10. Looking For A New Love by Jody Watley
Before all the R&B girls of today, there was Jody. Her new CD "Midnight Lounge" proves that the lady still can sing.
- 9. I Want Your Sex by George Michael
The song was controversial in 1987 because most radio programmers thought it was promoting casual sex. Compared to today's songs, "I Want Your Sex" is a lullaby.
- 8. Ball Of Confusion by Love and Rockets
The lyrics are still as powerful today as they were in 1985.
- 7. People Are People by Depeche Mode
I could have put "Strangelove" or "Never Let Me Down Again". Everything about Depeche Mode is good. But the important thing about "People are People" is the lyrics.
- 6. Addicted to Love by Robert Palmer
I absolutely loved the video on MTV.
- 5. Obsession by Animotion
One word for this song : sexy
- 4. Pale Shelter by Tears For Fears
Listen especially to the extended mix of that song. Just incredible.
- 3. Don't You (Forget About Me) by Simple Minds
Such a great anthem ! It was a blast when it came out in 1985.
- 2. Never Gonna Give You Up by Rick Astley
Sometimes, pop songs are so powerful. Here's one of them...And what a voice.
- 1. West End Girls by Pet Shop Boys
A classic of the 80's
- 10. Danger Zone by Kenny Loggins
Hey do you know TOP GUN? Do you know why Tom Cruise was very popular in this movie?. If you know , you will like this song.
- 9. Living On A Prayer by Bon Jovi
Wo, Woo, Wo. I like intro in this song.
- 8. Self Control by Laura Branigan
Cools song. I like to listen when I driving.
- 7. Every Breath You Take by Police
No Comment for great song.
- 6. Glory Of Love by Peter Cetera
I know this song from movie. I love this guy since then.
- 5. I Just Died In Your Arm Tonight by Cutting Crew
Good song, great lyric.
- 4. Broken Wings by Mr Mister
Cools song! If you don't know, just play GTA : Vice city, you will know.
- 3. Keep On Loving You by Reo Speedwagon
Another great song. Now it is in GTA : Vice city! that make me like this game very much.
- 2. A Groovey Kind Of Love by Phil Collins
Very popular song when I was in highschool.
- 1. Against All Odds by Phil Collins
A great song from movie. I love this song.
- 10. Eaten By the Monster of Love by The Sparks
After first hearing this song it was stuck in my head for days. They great music and the amusing lyrics are a good representation of some of the less known, but still fantastic, music that the 80's produced.
- 9. Take My Breath Away by Berlin
This Top Gun soundtrack contribution actually managed to garner an Academy Award. It's soft yet emotional lyrics will strike a chord with any listner
- 8. C'mon Feel the Noise by Quiet Riot
These one hit wonders struck gold with this fantastic hard rock song. Nothing works a crowd better than cranking this baby up full blast.
- 7. Bad Medicine by Bon Jovi
One of the better hair bands of the decade, Bon Jovi's upbeat and hard-hitting music has stood the test of time and is still irresistable.
- 6. The Reflex by Duran Duran
One of the biggest bands of the 80's, Duran Duran epitomized style and sound. The age of MTV would not have been the same without Nick Rhodes and Simon LeBon.
- 5. Born in the U.S.A. by Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
Springsteen is my generations Elvis and this song was so important to his career. It is a social commentary on life in the U.S. for the millions of hard-working Americans that were shafted by Reaganomics.
- 4. I Love Rock 'n Roll by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts
There were so many female bands in the 80's, but none kicked ass they way Joan Jett could. This is definitely a trademark song, not only for her but for the era.
- 3. Melt With You by Modern English
This song was not popular when it made it's debut in '83 on the soundtrack to the movie Valley Girl, but thankfully it was re-discovered with the help of a Burger King commercial almost ten years later.
- 2. Rock The Casbah by The Clash
No list would be complete without this band. I heard a rumour that this is the song that helped the U.S. Army defeat Noreaga.
- 1. Jump (for my love) by Pointer Sisters
The 80's can be defined as a very up-beat decade and this song exemplifies this statement. You can't help but want to join an aerobics class after listening to it.
- 10. When I See You Smile by Bad English
- 9. Manic Monday by Bangles
- 8. Rio by Duran Duran
- 7. Open Arms by Journey
- 6. Everybody Wants to Rule the World by Tears for Fears
- 5. Walk of Life by Dire Straits
- 4. Power of Love by Huey Lewis & the News
One of the Best Bands of the 80's - I recently got to see them in concert -- they still have it!
- 3. Amanda by Boston
What can I say, it's my name : )
- 2. I Want You to Want Me by Cheap Trick
Recently saw them in concert -- awesome. One of the best songs ever.
- 1. Livin' on a Prayer by Journey
There hasn't been another decade like the 80's -- the clothes, the music, the lingo... I'm a true child of he 80's -- picking only 10 songs is really hard... I can think of hundreds that could easily fit here, but these are some of my favorites! Thanks for letting me contribute!!!!
- 10. The End Of The World by Gary Moore
- 9. Night Train by Guns N Roses
- 8. Metal Health by Quiet Riot
- 7. Kiss by Tears Are Falling
- 6. Wasp by Hellion
"the gods you worship are steel, at the altar of rock n roll you kneel....."
- 5. Slaughter by Fly To The Angels
- 4. 18 And Life by Skid Row
- 3. Alone Again by Dokken
- 2. Shout At The Devil by Motley Crue
- 1. Crazy Train by Ozzy Osbourne
randy rhodes was the best guitarist ever, who knows how he might have changed the direction of 80's metal if his life had not been cut short! really you could pick any of the songs on diary of a madman or blizzard of ozz.
too many good songs and bands to choose from.
- 10. Abigail by King Diamond
King Diamond with is demonic vocal and the guitars of Andy LaRocque and Michael Denner are one of the best combination for a dark song.
- 9. Blood Fire Death by Bathory
The best mixture between black and viking metal, it's a killer with Quorthon's vocal
- 8. Necromantical Screams by Celtic Frost
On dark song with gothic elements and also doomy, this is a true master piece
- 7. Deathcrush by Mayhem
Old School Black Metal for the die hard fans
- 6. I'm Alive by Helloween
The best song from the album Keeper of the Seven Keys I
- 5. Valhalla by Blind Guardian
The best power metal band ever with guest vocal from Kai Hansen the god of power metal
- 4. Evil Eye by Yngwie J. Malmsteen
The most incredible album from Yngwie (Rising Force)
- 3. Pleasure to Kill by Kreator
The band that ruled the German Thrash!
- 2. Visions from the Darkside by Morbid Angel
One of the founders of Death Metal, this is a one of the most evil song.
- 1. The Ninja by Cacophony
Really great guitar from Jason and Marty, oriental style.
I could go like that for another 10 others songs but...The rule is the rule
By: Angelo Zuņiga
- 10. Take Me Breath Away by Belinda Carlise
- 9. Rio by Duran Duran
- 8. Invisible Touch by Genesis
- 7. Eye Of The Tiger by Survivor
el tema de rocky
- 6. I Remember You by Skid Row
balada muy singular
- 5. Drive by The Cars
- 4. The Charming Man by Fleetwood Mac
- 3. When I See You Smile by Bad English
uff la mejor cancion del mundo
- 2. Want Know What Love Is by Foreigner
sin palabras para describir esta cancion
- 1. Carrie by Europe
una espectacular balada de este impresionante banda sueca
una mencion a todas las bandas de rock en espaņol:)
By: Robin (netherlands)
- 10. Kirlian Camera by Edges
- 9. X Mal Deutschland by Sleepwalker
- 8. Joy Division by Love Will Tear Us Apart
- 7. Temple Of Love by Sisters Of Mercy
- 6. Sex Crime by Eurythmics
- 5. Strangelove by Depeche Mode
- 4. Ignore The Machine by Alien Sex Fiend
- 3. Lullaby by The Cure
- 2. Take On Me by A-ha
- 1. Fade To Grey by Visage
My bands and songs rule
- 10. These Dreams by Heart
This songs is totally mystical, and must have been created in a 'wood full of princes'
- 9. I Got You by Split Enz
Kinda a dark verse, with a brighter chorus. It's a different song, I never hear it on the radio...I don't know why?
- 8. Crush On You by The Jets
Of the best pop songs of the late 80's, whenever I hear this song I feel like she's singing to me...Yeah right, in my dreams!!!!
- 7. Oh Sheila by Ready For The World
Great bass line, slappin' and poppin' all night long! This is an excellent dance song...try listening to it with out dancing...impossible!
- 6. Voices Carry by Til Tuesday
Love this song, vocals are killer sexy, and I love the bass work and backing vocals in the outro; the song is kinda spooky too!
- 5. Rythm Of The Night by Gloria Estefan
Gloria Estefan can share the rythm of the night with me anytime, she says it best in this dance masterpiece" forget about the worries on your mind"
- 4. She's A Beauty by Tubes
Killer Song!! I love the intro, and the pre-chrous is radical! How about the melodic backing vocals!! Tubes forever!
- 3. Photograph by Def Leppard
Best rock song of the decade, maybe ever, it's a great songs to rock out to!! Joe Elliott rocks the high voice superbly in this number!
- 2. We Don't Have To Take Our Clothes Off by Jermaine Stewart
Best dance song ever!! I am in love with every aspect of this song, this songs always reminds me of good times...Thanks Jermaine!!
- 1. Something About You by Level 42
There's something about this song! Don't you agree?! Awesome to a new level of awesome, and the level is 42!
Duran Duran is amazing!!!
This Is The 5th Time I Have Entered A Top Ten List, It Is Really Difficult Choosing Ten Songs From The Greatest Decade Ever, This Should Be A Top 100 List, Even Then I Still Wouldn't Be Able To Fit Every 80's Song I Like In It. 80's Rule Chief
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.