In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
Of course, I would be remiss if I didn't add that U2, REM, New Order, Bauhaus, The Cult and a few others are impossible to nail down to one song---so I'm not even going to try.
By: Dj tommy
- 10. No More Lonely Nights by Paul McCartney
Great video efx from 80's.Lonly song
- 9. This Could Be The Night by From BeatStreet Soundtrack
From BeatStreet Soundtrack.love the movie.breakin with this song.Well Back to the 80's BBoy.
- 8. Crazy for You by Madonna
Crazy Love Madonna this love song.Crazy for You Madonna.my 80's sexy idol.
- 7. Automatic by Pointer Sisters
My first english song i buy vinly.
- 6. Almost Paradise by (Theme from Footloose)
Forget who sing this song.Theme from Footloose.really nice love song.
- 5. Shattered Dreams by Johnny Hates Jazz
Turn back the clock,i don't wanna be a hreo.but i only love this song.
- 4. Together In Electric Dreams by Giorgio Moroder & Philip O
Theme from Electric Dreams???forget it.but love this electric music song from Giorgio Moroder.so happy
- 3. I Feel for You by Chaka Khan
Dance Beat song of Chaka Khan with Rap.80's breakdance fave.
- 2. Whan Doves Cry by Prince And The Revolution
Another Song From him.crazy idea the song don't have Bassline.Do u know that?this song make me be a Diehard fans of Prince.The Revolution is the best was him in Peak Time.
- 1. Purple Rain Prince And The Revolution by Prince And The Revolution
I never hear the song for Pop market as 8 min.after 4min is only music.but this make me understand the powerful of him.after 20 year ago.just saw him Live(Frist time) perfrom here(Hong kong).the song still Touching me Cry.
Still People missing some lovely 80's song like Boy George (Love Is Love)-Dan Hartman(I can dream about you)-Elton John(Nikita)-Ashford & Simpson(Solid)-Melissa manchester(Thief of hearts)-Julian Lennon(Too Late for Goodbyes)-USA For Africa (We Are The World)-Aretha Franklin(Freeway of love)-Jocelyn Brown(Somebody Else's Guy)-ZZ Top(Legs)-ready for the world(Oh Sheila )Etc......80's is fun
By: Adam Myers
- 10. Lost In The Supermarket by The Clash
Listen and you will see.
- 9. West End Girls by Pet Shop Boys
One of the best bass lines ever.
- 8. Respect by Erasure
I can't help but smile when this song is on.
- 7. Kiss Of Love by Anything Box
"Peace" is so underrated.
- 6. Darklands by The Jesus and Mary Chain
- 5. Blue Monday by New Order
Everyone should love this band.
- 4. Inbetween Days by The Cure
The Cure can do no wrong.
- 3. Only You by Yaz
So simple, so beautiful...
- 2. Pure by Lightning Seeds
I love this band. Cloudcuckooland is brilliant!
- 1. Dreaming by O.M.D.
It's the saddest song you can dance to ever!
By: Eduardo Elmagnifico
- 10. La Voz De Los '80 by Los Prisioneros.
The best rock band in Chile ever. An anthem.
- 9. Bizarre Love Triangle. by New Order
A very poetic song.
- 8. There Must Be An Angel (playing With My Heart) by Eurythmics
No comments. Too good.
- 7. West End Girls by Pet Shop Boys
An elegant rap-style, synth-pop, sofisticaded song. 1985.
- 6. You Are The One by A-ha
At the end of the 80's, a beautiful, classic pop tune full of arregments. 1988
- 5. Rock the Casbah by The Clash
Another major influence in 80's music. A pretty neat tune, very energetic and fun. 1982.
- 4. Walking on the Chinese Wall by Phillip Bailey
A not so well know song. Better than Phils Collins's "Easy Lover". 1985
- 3. It's a Mistake by Men At Work
One of my really favs, excellent video, and the unique voice of Colin Hay. 1983
- 2. Junge Roemer (Young Romans) by Falco
The Falco's masterpiece. Hedonistics lyrics, pretty nice gtr solo. 1984
- 1. La dolcevita by Ryan Paris
A very stilish italo-pop song. Nice sinth sound. 1985.
Viva chile conchetumadre!!!!
- 10. Tell Me Lies by Fleetwood Mac
this song i just love another fav of my moms and mine, just the beat to it
- 9. Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Leppard
this song is a very awesome song to rock to when you are by yourself to..
- 8. Bette Davis Eyes by Kim Carnes
im not sure if this came out in the 80s i think it did, but again another song you dont wantto your home without
- 7. Alone by Heart
this song i just love to crank and sing, i think all songs from heart are just awesome
- 6. The Boys Are Back In Town by ?
this song is very awesome in the category of rock i like the beat
- 5. Hungry Eyes by Patrick Swayze
this song is just a sexy song
- 4. Unchained Melodies by righteous brothers
this song just makes you want to play with clay with your lvoer, very romantic and soothing song
- 3. When You Were Mine by Cyndi Lauper
this song is fun to sing after you have broke up with your boyfriend that is gay, never happened to me though
- 2. I Need A Hero by Bonnie Tyler
this songs is very fun when you just get out of the shower!haha
- 1. Everytime You Go Away by Paul Young
I love this song it is so soothing and kind of sad, it was my mothers fav song
well i think the 80s music is just a blast and there are other songs that i remember listening to back in the day and i wish i could find them now.I whink the 80s have really come back! and I am glad.great memories
By: Sarah Mathers
- 10. Double Vision by Foreigner
I know this songs from the 70s but its such a good song isnt it about doing 2 girls at the same time while drunk. Double vision baby!
- 9. Rosana by Toto
Toto was always the prom favorite everytime I went to any ones prom the DJ always play Toto.
- 8. Borderline by Madonna
I usta hate this song then I saw Castaway....
- 7. Careless Whisper by Wham!
I like the under dog Andrew Ridgley and this was whams! biggest hit and biggest hit of 1985 but still people give no credit to him he composed the damn thing I think he deserves some credit.
- 6. Lies,lies,lies by The thompson twins
Tom Baitly was my idol I wanted to dye my hair red and start a band and be the lead singer great song positive message too.
- 5. London Calling by The Clash
The clash are the ultimate Rock activists they fought the rights of many who suffer in the world yet still manage to churn out killer hits.
- 4. Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def lepord
Joe Elliot has one of those singing voices that sound nothing like his real voice but it makes the song better.
- 3. Wanted Dead Or Alive by Bon Jovi
This songs a little gore especially in the part when Jons all ''Ive seen a million faces and ive rocked them all'' not a song I recomend for children under 10.
- 2. Sowing The Seeds Of Love by Tears for fears
The songs like 10 minutes of absolute plesure and the videos a land mark.Its my ultimate love song I sing it whenever im in love.
- 1. Abaracadabra by Steve Miller band
This is a hell of a racy song ''Black panties with a angel face'' only Steve Miller could make a song about magic and not make it cheesy but instead a bit risque.
I wanted to put a much deserved ''Footloose'' by Kenny Loggings and ''Land of confusion'' by Genesis. FREEEEEBIRRRDDD!OWW.
- 10. In Your Eyes by Peter Gabriel
- 9. Everybody Wants To Rule The World/ Head Over Heels by Tears For Fears
- 8. Dance Hall Days by Wang Chung
- 7. If You Leave by OMD
- 6. No One Is To Blame/ Things Can Only Get Better by Howard Jones
- 5. The Promise by When In Rome
one of the best ove songs of the 80's
- 4. Something About You by Level 42
- 3. Don't Forget Me When I'm Gone by Glass Tiger
just great...what can i say
- 2. Cars by Gary Numan
great song to drive around to...especially when you get a new um, car...
- 1. Don't You (forget About Me) by Simple Minds
the best song of the 80's from the best movie!!!
By: Ivan Hard - Brasil
- 10. Heaven And Hell by Black Sabbath
- 9. Love Machine by Wasp
- 8. SummertimeGirls by Y&T
- 7. Still of the night by Whitesnake
- 6. Dance The Night Away by Van halen
- 5. Allied Forces by Triumph
- 4. Were Not Gonna Take It by Twisted Sisters
- 3. Rock You Like A Hurricane by Scorpions
- 2. Metal Heart by Accept
- 1. I Love It Loud by Kiss
By: Billy Duncan AKA 80s Freak
11. No Parking on thr Dance Floor-Midnight Star,12. Two, Three, Break- B-Boys,13. Light Years Away-Warp 9,14. Breakdancing-Electric Boogie-West Street Mob, 15. Feel the Force-G-Force feat.Ronnie Gee & Captain Cee, 16. Don't Stop the Rock-Electro 10, 17. Wild Style-Time Zone, 18. We are the Knights-Knights of the Turntables, 19. Freak-a-zoid-Midnight Star, 20. Star Raid-19th Fleet. The above songs I have mentioned are all old skool rap/electro music. All these songs and many more old skool rap/electro are goood breakdancing songs.
By: Tim Westeroff
Some other great artists from the 1980s are: -------------------------------------------- Pixies, Bryan Ferry, Sade, Replacements, Belinda Carlisle, 10000 Maniacs, Vince DiCola, Kim Wilde, Nik Kershaw, Duran Duran, Cocteau Twins, Pretenders, Adam Ant, New Order, Smiths, ABC, Wax, Eurythmics
- 10. Good Heart by Feargal Sharkey
I mean, come on, where is this guy? He got a great voice. Sure can't blame a lack of pathos.
- 9. Billy Gene by Michael Jackson
Okay, I was a contemporary sneering at this fine song at that time. Call me a fashion victim, today I think it's great.
- 8. Walk This Way by Run DMC
For elitist hip-hop-snobs this was the end of civilization as we knew it. "Hell, what's next? LL Cool J on Casey Kasem?" -- Well, umm, yes.
- 7. Something's Gotten Hold Of My Heart by Marc Almond
You could be singled out and roughed up for being a confessing fan of this. I roughed up Milli Vanilli-freaks. Let god pick out the casualties.
- 6. Dolce Vita by Ryan Paris
This was electronic music that did not sound electronic anymore. Antithetical to Kraftwerks Blips'n Beeps in that the gadgets became totally invisible and left the realm of geekdom.
- 5. Sweet Dreams by Eurhythmics
Annie Lennox looked darn good in a suit.
- 4. Relax by Franky Goes To Hollywood
Banned in the UK and Canada. Explicit lyrics about homosexual butt-fucking, concerned parents say.
- 3. Model by Kraftwerk
Finally a boy-group Leni Riefenstahl can agree to.
- 2. She-Bop by Cindy Lauper
No. It's not your warped, oversexed fantasy playing tricks on you. Cindy really is singing about herself wonking
- 1. Rockit by Herbie Hancock
Herbie scoured the earth in search of black ethno-music and found it right in the ghetto of NYC
Capt'n Sensible (Wot!) should go to 11, but this list has room for only 10 items.
By: alexis ferreyra
- 10. El Valor by La Alkoba
- 9. Un Perro Locazo by Tolerancia Zero
- 8. Tu by Gilbert
- 7. Bohemian Raphsody by Queen
um tema espectacular
- 6. Globo by Cabezones
grupo que hace un muy buen nu metal
- 5. Home by Depeche mode
Gore canta los mejores temas , sin duda
- 4. Mas Alla by La Ley
Una Gran Balada
- 3. A Little Respect by Erasure
Bell tiene una espectacular voz
- 2. Jealous Guy by John Lennon
lo mejor de Lennon
- 1. A Questin Of Lust by Depeche Mode
Cantada por Gore, editada en "Black celebration"
By: Jeremiah Mann
- 10. Bad Case Of Loving You by Robert Palmer
Well i've always loved this tune over all the other Robert Palmer tunes and they still play it all the time on the radio
- 9. The Warrior by Scandal
Ok so the video kinda freaked me out as a kid but man did Patti Symth have a nice butt or what?
- 8. Devil Inside by INXS
what more can i say about this song but if you listen closely you'll understand completely.R.I.P Michael
- 7. Good Enough by Van Hagar
Well this is a great opening track to a great CD 5150 and Sammy Hagar pulled no punches on the vocals and he'd record his final VH CD eleven years later "Balance" which really shows Sammy's Progression as a vocalist
- 6. Animal by Def Leppard
This is a personal fav of mine and the mastered the guitar solo in no time
- 5. Love Bites by Def Leppard
Well the title explains it all
- 4. Wanted Dead Or Alive by Bon Jovi
This song holds great meaning to me.can we say Harley Davidson & The Marlboro Man
- 3. She's A Beauty by The Tubes
What can i say this song kicks butt
- 2. Land Of Confusion by Genesis
OKOKOKOKOKOKOK so Phil Collins is on here twice but i've two words for everybody The Video
- 1. Against All Odds by Phil Collins
Well i think this song really shows the power of what music means and it was truly a beautiful song and i still dig it today in 2004
By: joaquin dorronsoro
Cetu Javu is the really really best band of the 80s. No one can dennay it.
By: Imi Mo
- 10. Get The Balance Right by Depeche Mode
To get the balance right, this song is here. Its also good by the way!
- 9. Never Let Me Down Again by Depeche Mode
Put this song on when your driving, crank up the volume and lower the windows, a feel-good rebellious hit
- 8. A Question Of Time by Depeche Mode
Its Just a question of time til u hear this song and love it
- 7. Shake The Disease by Depeche Mode
A wierd song with a wierd "oooooh ooooooh" like theres a ghost in ur room! Only heard this song properly about 20 minutes ago, and its so good its here!
- 6. Strangelove by Depeche Mode
A sad song that I can listen over and over again
- 5. Master And Servant by Depeche Mode
A sadistic song about S&M, mmmm lovely, but a great heavy synth-bass to it and I like that sort of tone
- 4. Blasphemous Rumours by Depeche Mode
This song i so true about me, I never want to start rumours! Another of Depeche's best
- 3. Love In Itself by Depeche Mode
An atmospheric song that gives the impression that love just causes sadness. I only downloaded this song 3 weeks ago, but its so good it hits No.3 here!
- 2. Everything Counts by Depeche Mode
This song puts me into a trance! For some reason it also makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up, and I like that
- 1. People Are People by Depeche Mode
In My opinion, Depeche Mode's greatest song ever! A brilliant industrial sound comprising synthesizers and drum machines. A song that you cant help but sing along to.
Depeche Mode are oen of the greatest electronic-pop band ever, a pioneer in the use of synthesizers and drum-machines, they kick ass, nuff said!
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.