In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
- 10. It Started With A Kiss by Paul Kelly
- 9. Redemption Song by Bob Marley
- 8. Better Be Home Soon by Crowded House
Kiwi band but we call them aussie because they are so good LOL
- 7. Turning Japanese by The Vapours
One hit wonder.
- 6. Walk This Way by Run DMC & Aerosmith
- 5. Walking In LA by Missing Persons
- 4. Walls by Icehouse
Another Aussie band.
- 3. Father's Day by Weddings, Parties, Anything
Another Aussie band. Haunting song if you have kids
- 2. London Calling by The Clash
best band to come out of england
- 1. Mr Damage by The Angels
Great aussie band. Not their greatest but fast. Not heard of much outside Australia
If like some of the 80's aussie stuff try Hunters & collector, Black sorrows, Mental as anything, Radiators, redgum and of course AC/DC.
- 10. There Ain't No Pleasin' You by Chas & Dave
- 9. Mamma Used To Say by Junior
- 8. In The Army Now by Status Quo
- 7. Camouflage by Stan Ridgeway
- 6. Stool Pigeon by Kid Creole & The Coconuts
- 5. I Ran by A Flock Of Seagulls
- 4. Eloise by The Damned
- 3. I Need Love by LL Cool J
- 2. Modern Love by David Bowie
- 1. Angel Of Harlem by U2
I really miss the 80's
- 10. Sledgehammer ( and In Your Eyes, Solsbury Hill) by Peter Gabriel
- 9. Born In The USA by Bruce Springsteen
This song touches me in more ways than one
- 8. Billie Jean by Michael Jackson
Great pop song.
- 7. Under Pressure by Queen and David Bowie
what an underrated song..this has to be on more lists, it's beautiful.
- 6. Walking On The Moon by The Police
- 5. Message In A Bottle by The Police
- 4. Hang Fire by The Rolling Stones
Oh man, so underrated, too beautiful for words.
- 3. New Year's Day by U2
- 2. With Or Without You by U2
- 1. Start Me Up by The Rolling Stones
(not in any particular order)
By: Eric Fremen
These songs aren't necessarily in order. They are all awesome! A lot of 80's songs are awesome, so it's really hard to choose just ten.
- 10. Like A Prayer by Madonna
Heh. Like A Prayer. Probably the hardest song in the world to be bad at dancing to.
- 9. 99 Luftballons by Nena
We're talking the German one here. The English one was no good.
- 8. The Safety Dance by Men Without Hats
We can dance if we want to.
- 7. She Drives Me Crazy by Fine Young Cannibals
I don't know why, but this song just gets stuck in my head for no good reason.
- 6. Turning Japanese by The Vapors
Wow. What a disgusting song. Disgustingly AWESOME!
- 5. Down Under by Men At Work
Vegemite is so gross. Really.
- 4. I Think We're Alone Now by Tiffany
Wait... Why do I like this song?
- 3. Message In A Bottle by The Police
At least I think it's 80's... Sure hope so, it's an awesome song.
- 2. In Your Eyes by Peter Gabriel
Just an amazing song. Really amazing.
- 1. The Heat Of The Moment by Asia
I actually didn't listen to this song much 'til about yesterday. But it really is one of the best songs I've ever heard. Not to mention the fact that the percussion line is really simple to master.
Well I know I'm missing lots of stuff, but even still... How can you take ten years and pick the best 30-40 minutes of music from it?!
- 10. Wanted Dead Or Alive by Bon Jovi
- 9. Africa by Toto
- 8. Learning To Fly by Tom Petty
- 7. Jack And Diane by John Cougar Mellencamp
- 6. Love Bites by Def Leppard
- 5. Heat Of The Moment by Asia
- 4. Romeo And Juliet by Dire Straits
i love this song, it's such a good ballad
- 3. Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns 'n' Roses
great 80s rock
- 2. Summer Of '69 by Bryan Adams
love it, it's great
- 1. Livin' On A Prayer by Bon Jovi
AWEsome song, the best anthem of the 80s, great lyrics, brilliant band
By: Ignacio Mancini
- 10. Rock Me Amadeus by Falco
Who wants to know german to sing it? Amadeus, Amadeus!. Amadeus! Amadeus, Amadeus!. Ohh Amadeus!.
- 9. What Have I Done To Deserve This? by Pet Shop Boys/Dusty Springfield
O.K. I know it is not their best creation, but between the keyboard and the female chorus is glory.
- 8. Gold/True (tied) by Spandau Ballet
Itīs the power against the thrill. I canīt choose. Both songs saved my days.
- 7. We Didnīt Start The Fire. by Billy Joel.
Being an argentinian, I am proud to say that I know the lyrics from tip to toe.
- 6. The Reflex by Duran Duran
When the power of this song can be represented on the DDR floor you reached the sky.
- 5. I Want To Break Free by Queen
In my childhood, It was this song, Heal the World and Private Dancer. sniffff..
- 4. Shout by Tears For Fears
This is my band, ladies and gentlemen. I highly reccomend Greatest Hits album. Itīs the best album made ever for me.
- 3. Take On Me by a-ha
I have 19 versions of this song, which Iīm listening right now. Itīs usseles to resist. I canīt go against this.
- 2. You Spin Me 'Round by Dead or Alive
Again, one song band. Who cares! Watch out, here I come!!!!!!!
- 1. María Magdalena by Sandra
The contrast inthe chorus reaches my soul. Itīs perfect, although she did only that song.
I think god we still have their music!!!!!!!! I am sure the 80s are not going to be forgotten so easily as many people want.
I Am ONly 16, but ithink i put together a pretty good list. Waddaya Think?
By: W. Conley
These may not be my absolute favorite '80s songs, but they are the songs that always take me back and the ones I never get tired of.
By: Matusitz, Jonathan
- 10. Let's Dance by David Bowie
"Let's dance, put on your red shoes and dance the blues." Oh, waw! I love it, I love it, I love it. David Bowie, what a genius!
- 9. Pride (In The Name Of Love) by U2
U2! You name it. This song is about the assassination of Martin Luther King in Memphis. Plus, there is the great voice of Bono.
- 8. You Spin Me 'Round by Dead Or Alive
No comment. It's all good!
- 7. Souvenir by Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark (OMD)
What a beautiful song. I'm in love with so many women when I hear it.
- 6. Relax by Frankie Goes To Hollywood
Frankie Says... Relax. Remember the white shirts? Well, this song is about sex and masochism. Who cares anyway? It's great and I love the melody.
- 5. It's My Life by Talk Talk
This song had been underappreciated until No Doubt remade it in 2003 with an awesome video.
- 4. Take On Me by a-ha
Of course! What do you expect! We all have to include that song in the top 10! Plus, the cartoon-like video...
- 3. Tarzan Boy by Baltimora
This monster hit had no video when it came out in 1985 in Europe, but I love the tune, the beat, and everything related to it!
- 2. Hungry Like The Wolf by Duran Duran
Duran Duran! It's my favorite band of the 1980's. Their song "Hungry Like The Wolf" exemplifies the decade thanks to an explosive MTV video.
- 1. Don't You Want Me? by The Human League
Great synth-pop band, great music, great lyrics, great song! Plus, it went number #1 in the UK and in the US. They deserved it.
By: Mark Merredew
This is my first list...and it's off the top of my head, so the order is fluid. However, these tunes really have personal memories for me of the eightees. M
- 10. I Want To Know What Love Is by Foreigner
I want to know what love is I want you to show me... The greatest thing anyone has ever sung
- 9. Rio by Duran Duran
the songs patriotic what can i say?
- 8. Girls, Girls, Girls by Motley Crue
The song that made me keep listening to rock
- 7. Cum On Feel The Noize by Quiet Riot
the song that got me liking rock
- 6. I Melt With You by Modern English
- 5. Shout by Tears For Fears
A song that once you hear your drumming the beat with a pen for the rest of the day
- 4. Pictures Of You by The Cure
just a real good song...
- 3. Wishing (If I Had A Photograph Of You) by A Flock Of Seagulls
million times better than I ran...
- 2. Hold Me Now by Thompson Twins
When I first heard this song I thought it was tears for fears
- 1. If You Leave by Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark
I dont care if this song was recorded for Brat Pack its the best ever
By: mary roe
- 10. In The Air Tonight by Phil Collins
I still wonder if the rumor about this song is true.
- 9. Like A Virgin by Madonna
What's an 80's List without Madonna.
- 8. You Shook Me All Night Long by AC/DC
The perfect Rock song.
- 7. When Doves Cry by Prince
Prince again. But his songs are great.
- 6. Girls Just Want To Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper
Loved the checkerboard hair.
- 5. Rebel Yell by Billy Idol
I still recommend this album to people, it rocks.
- 4. Every Breath You Take by The Police
Every songwriter wish's they had wrote this masterpiece.
- 3. Dancing In The Dark by Bruce Springsteen And The E Street Band
The Boss rules.
- 2. With Or Without You by U2
Still a really great song.
- 1. Little Red Corvette by Prince
His purple majesty's best song!
The 80's had some really great music. If you can get past the hair bands and techno junk, You'll find that music then blows away the trash they like to call music today.
By: Joseph Madray
- 10. Your Love by The Outfield
- 9. Heat Of The Moment by Asia
- 8. Like A Child by Noel
- 7. I Love Rock N' Roll by Joan Jett And The Blackhearts
- 6. 867-5309/Jenny by Tommy Tutone
- 5. Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Leppard
- 4. Cum On Feel The Noize by Quiet Riot
- 3. Summer '69 by Bryan Adams
- 2. Silent Morning by Noel
- 1. Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns N' Roses
Just 10 !!! That gives the 80ies no justice to many good bands & songs to just put 10.
- 10. Eyes Without A Face by Billy Idol
BILLY IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO VERY BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- 9. Too Shy by KajaGooGoo
Oh thank you vh1! bands reunited Limahl is still beautiful!
- 8. Doot Doot by Freur
Ummmmm am I the only one who knows this one?
- 7. Love My Way by The Psychedelic Furs
OH Richard. YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!
- 6. I Go Crazy by Flesh For Lulu
OH OH OH
- 5. Der Kommissar by Falco
Falco's is better than after the fire's version.
- 4. Forever Young by Alphaville
This is more than a song that was played at graduations in the 80's.
- 3. Charlotte Anne by Julian Cope
No body knows this one sept me.
- 2. Space Age Love Song by A Flock Of Seagulls
Oh my God!!
- 1. Cars by Gary Numan
I would be here all night with my 80's life. I'm so stuck it's pathetic!
- 10. Emotion In Motion by Ric Ocasek
One of the best love songs ever!
- 9. Vienna by Ultravox
Didn't know this one until more recently, but I love it.
- 8. The Sun Always Shines On TV by a-ha
- 7. Shattered Dreams by Johnny Hates Jazz
Can't explain this one, just love it.
- 6. The Promise by When In Rome
- 5. Tarzan Boy by Baltimora
This song just brings back great memories.
- 4. Send Me An Angel by Real Life
- 3. A Little Respect by Erasure
I could have chosen 10 songs just from this band alone!!
- 2. Living In Oblivion by Anything Box
- 1. The Unguarded Moment by The Church
The BEST song for dancing.
This was way harder than I anticipated.
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.