In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
By: Tiffany Gibson Jr.
- 10. Take My Breath Away by Berlin
THIS IS MY JAM!!!!!!!!!!
- 9. Walk Like An Egyptian by Bangles
I had to represent my homes, The Bangles. WORD!
- 8. Come On Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners
I lost my virginity to this jam
- 7. Jack And Diane by John Cougar Mellencamp
John Melloncamp is my baby daddy, he is such a hunk
- 6. Only In My Dreams by Debbie Gibson
Debbie is me hero, she is totally tubular
- 5. Here I Go Again by Whitesnake
I love their hair, it's way bitchin
- 4. Tainted Love by Soft Cell
These guys and dudical and this song is dope
- 3. I Think We're Alone Now by Tiffany
Tiff is my homegirl
- 2. I Melt With You by Modern English
This song is trippendicular
- 1. Take On Me by a-ha
The video is K-Rad to the max
Long Live The King Of Pop!!!!
By: J London UK
- 10. Wishing I Was Lucky by Wet Wet Wet
Just a fab song.
- 9. It's A Mystery by Toyah
The Song, The Voice, The Look - blew me away then and still does to this day. 80's don't get much more 80's than this!
- 8. Into The Groove by Madonna
Totally and utterly defenceless against getting up and dancing when this comes on. Madonna at her absolute best.
- 7. Love And Pride by King
'That's what my love yearns for now.....' Probably one of the best records of the 80's - why it's not in more people's top ten I don't know.
- 6. Don't Leave Me This Way by The Communards
Small Town Boy a very close second to this but it had to be DLMTW - The Anthem of 1986. What a combination - Jimmy Sommerville & Sarah Jane Morris.
- 5. Victim Of Love by Erasure
My favourite track from this 80's mega-duo. Wore my Sony Walkman out playing this.
- 4. Down To Earth by Curiosity Killed The Cat
A bit of a one hit wonder - but what a hit!
- 3. Why by Carly Simon
One of the finest songs to come out of the 80's.
- 2. You Spin Me 'Round (Like A Record) by Dead Or Alive
Oh boy have I danced to this one! Great at parties, pumping at the gym and simply a fantasic jump off the sofa and sing kinda song. Amazingly Pete Burns is even wierder now than he was back then - I think he's a woman now!?!?!
- 1. Fade To Grey by Visage
Classic 80's magna-hit and who could forget that video. This is one of those songs that takes you back the instant you hear it, still as good today as it was more than 20 years ago.
That was sooooooooooooooooo difficult. Have really enjoyed reading other people's top tens - tried to be a little different in my selection but it's so tough to choose just ten songs from that mega decade. These could so easily have been in there too: Matt Bianco - Who's Side Are You On, Belouis Some - Imagination, Swing Out Sister - Break Out, Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls, Colonel Abrahams - Trapped, Five Star - The Slightest Touch and anything by the Blow Monkeys.
- 10. Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Leppard
My first hair band song that I memorized.
- 9. Beat It by Micheal Jackson
- 8. She Bop by Cyndi Lauper
Everyone likes this song!
- 7. Maneater by Hall & Oates
- 6. Do You Really Want To Hurt Me? by Culture Club
- 5. (I've Had) The Time Of My Life by Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes
"Nobody puts Baby in a corner"
- 4. Footloose by Kenny Loggins
Good movie good song
- 3. Walk Like An Egyptian by The Bangles
Everyone did the dance
- 2. We Got The Beat by The Go-Go's
- 1. Karma Chameleon by Culture Club
Come on now, who didnt hum this song!
Any 80's hair band is really at the top of my list. Couldn't list them all here though.
By: Marissa Siu
- 10. Situation by Yazoo
Wonderful song, brings back memories of the 1980's
- 9. Erotic City by Prince
Great dirty fun.
- 8. The Message by Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five
- 7. Take On Me by a-ha
- 6. True by Spandau Ballet
The album "True" is just awesome.
- 5. Moments In Love by Art Of Noise
Beautiful piece of music.
- 4. Church Of The Poison Mind by Culture Club
Culture Club is without a doubt one of the best bands of any musical format, of all time. Boy George is just an awesome vocalist.
- 3. The Tide Is High by Blondie
Blondie had 3 #1 Singles between April 80-April 81, before MTV, just Imagine how mucg bigger they could have been. Deborah Harry is an POP ICON
- 2. Call Me by Blondie
They most definative song of the 1980's, rock with a built in techno vibe. Sexual overtones and just a great throbbing dance beat.
- 1. Rapture by Blondie
Their 4th American Number 1 Single in 2 years, and the first ever RAP Song to hit #1, top ten for that matter, back in March 1981.
Blondie, The Go Gos, B'52's, ABC, Cars....This is what brings the 1980's back for me. We could have done without the "Metal, Dire Straits and Soundtrack over kill".
By: The Man
- 10. Rise Above by Black Flag
- 9. Botanical Roots by Black Uhuru
- 8. Between the Wars by Billy Bragg
- 7. Teen Age Riot by Sonic Youth
- 6. I'll Never Forget You by Husker Du
- 5. Look Back And Laugh by Minor Threat
- 4. History Lesson, Part 2 by The Minutemen
- 3. Left Of The Dial by The Replacements
- 2. The Hand That Rocks The Cradle by The Smiths
- 1. Debaser by The Pixies
Hey Darren: the REM song is called "So. Central Rain" not "I'm Sorry".
- 10. The Dance by Garth Brooks
from his self-titled album released in 1989
- 9. The Power Of Love by Frankie Goes To Hollywood
1984's album, "Welcome to the Pleasuredome" also saw hits "Relax" and "Two Tribes" - "The Power of Love" is a great hyperballad
- 8. Switching To Glide - The Beat Goes On by The Kings
From their 1980 album, "The Kings Are Here", this song is a exquisitely enjoyable New Wave double-shot
- 7. Just Can't Get Enough by Depeche Mode
(from their "Speak and Spell" album released in 1981)
- 6. Wanted Dead Or Alive by Bon Jovi
1986's "Slippery When Wet" also gave us "You Give Love a Bad Name" and "Livin' On A Prayer"
- 5. I Want To Know What Love Is by Foreigner
this song is hypnotic due in part to Lou Gramm's soulful lead vocals and the New Jersey Mass Choir's background (from 1984's "Agent Provocateur")
- 4. Come On Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners
from their 1982 album, "Too-Rye-Ay"
- 3. Head Over Heels by Tears For Fears
from "Songs From The Big Chair" which also had hits "Shout" and "Everybody Wants To Rule The World"
- 2. Africa by Toto
(from 1982's "Toto IV" which also had hits, "Roseanna" and "I Won't Hold You Back") - "Africa" is a timeless classic
- 1. Forever Young by Alphaville
(the whole "Forever Young" album is a treat yet Alphaville didn't chart long, and only for "Big In Japan"!)
Level 42 - "Something About You", Gowan - "Criminal Mind", J Geils Band - "Freeze-Frame", Joe Jackson's "Breaking Us in Two", John Cafferty & The Beaver Brown Band - "On The Dark Side", Journey - "Faithfully", Rush - "The Spirit Of Radio", Kenny Rogers "Through The Years", Extreme - "More Than Words", Kool & The Gang - "Cherish", Modern English - "I Melt With You", Naked Eyes - "Always Something There To Remind Me", Ozzy Osbourne's "Crazy Train", Platinum Blonde - "Standing In The Dark", Prism -"Young and Restless", REO Speedwagon - "Take It On The Run", Rockwell - "Somebodyís Watching Me", Soft Cell - "Tainted Love", Steve Winwood - "My Loveís Leaviní", Strange Advance - "We Run", Talk Talk - "Itís My Life" The Cars - "Drive", The Police - "Synchronicity II", The Romantics - "What I Like About You", The Smiths - "How Soon Is Now?", The Cure - "In Between Days", Tom Petty - "Free Fallin', Ultravox - "Dancing With Tears In My Eyes",When In Rome - "If Only" and Yaz - "Situation" all deserve mention as well!!!
aw, there's so much more i want to add! like most of lionel richie's songs, whitney houston, stevie b, steve winwood, peabo bryson, tears for fears, billy ocean, heart, billy joel, REO speedwagon and roxette...to name a few!
By: Zoe Heuzenroeder
- 10. Footloose by Kenny Loggins
I loved the movie so, I love the song!!!
- 9. Take On Me by a-ha
What can I say it's A-HA
- 8. Break My Stride by Matthew Wilder
I don't know who sings it, but i love it
- 7. Girls Just Want To Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper
Well........ GIRLS JUST WANNA HAVE FUN it says it all!!!!!
- 6. Total Eclipse Of The Heart by Bonnie Tyler
Okay, so she can't sing that great... but it's a nice song.
- 5. Get Off My Cloud by Jimmy And The Boys
I can't believe some people hate this song!!!
- 4. 99 Red Balloons by Nena
This is still just a fantastic song
- 3. 99 Luftballons by Nena
I just think this song is great. I think the German sounds fantastic
- 2. Wake Me Up Before You Go Go by Wham!
It's just a great boppy song
- 1. Come On Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Riders
THIS IS THE BEST SONG EVER!!! I LOVE IT SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!
I AM ONLY 15 BUT I LOVE EVERTHING ABOUT THE EIGHTIES. THE MUSIC ROCKS!!!!!
- 10. When The Lights Go Down In The City by Journey
Journey- great band...great song...
- 9. Just What I Needed by The Cars
This song has great lyrics and the cars are totally the 80s!
- 8. What Do All The People Know by The Monroes
Great song...i never know whether to sing or cry when i hear it lolz
- 7. With Or Without You by U2
This song always makes me want to cry...great lyrics and Bono's voice is amazing.
- 6. American Girl by Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers
I love this band and even tho they were still a huge part of the 90s, they can totally be considered an 80s band.
- 5. Blue Monday by New Order
What can I say, I am a HUGE Orgy fan and I needed away to plug them in there...Blue Monday- awesome song and catchy melody...plus its the cover of this song that got Orgy out there...New Order- thank you!
- 4. Enjoy The Silence by Depeche Mode
This band is awesome...theyre lyrics and songs are just absolutely amazing...i dont kno wat else to say!
- 3. I Ran by A Flock of Seagulls
Flock of Seagulls has to be sumwhere on my list...who can forget that haircut?
- 2. Anything, Anything by Dramarama
Yes, for those of you Nightmare on Elm Street fans, (like me) this is a classic one from NOES 4: The Dream Master. Yay Lisa Wilcox! Anyway, this song jus rocks...
- 1. Rebel Yell by Billy Idol
Billy Idol is the essence of the 80s...anything my him can be in my #1 spot!
Yea, David Bowie also rocks so any song of his can be put there...Also Billy Joel- he rocks too!
By: Greer Phillips
- 10. Photograph by Def Leppard
Pour some sugar was more popular but I love the chorus of this song...and the part where he goes "I wanna touch you!"
- 9. Total Eclipse Of The Heart by Bonnie Tyler
I dedicated this song to my boyfriend once when we were in a fight and somehow it explained my feelings better than I ever could myself....I think it saved our relationship....
- 8. Things Can Only Get Better by Howard Jones
I don't think I saw this on the list anywhere, and I love this song! It's so happy and upbeat....plus for some reason, I have a strong memory attached to it about going to the beach and summer camp....must have been summer of 85 I think....anyway, good song
- 7. 867-5309/Jenny by Tommy Tutone
Jenny Jenny, who can I turn to? The best song ever written about the town slut....
- 6. Glamorous Life by Sheila E.
See #2, maybe I just have a thing for Prince and his drum-weilding prodigy, Sheila E....
- 5. Boys Of Summer by Don Henley
I will never get sick of this song, in any incarnation....
- 4. Sister Christian by Night Ranger
I KNOW I'm not the only one to say....ok.....
- 3. Tainted Love by Soft Cell
I love the sexy, deadpan way this is sung, and I especially like the version when he goes into "Where did our love go" by the Supremes....
- 2. Oh Sheila by Ready For The World
Ok maybe it's just me, but I can't NOT shake my ass to this song...."Uh!Uh! Uh! Oh Sheila...."
- 1. She Bop by Cyndi Lauper
This was the first album I ever owned....I was 6 when it came out, and I sang this song all over my house....who knew????
Honorable mentions: Love Song--The Cure, Come on Eileen--Dexy's Midnight Runners, Love is a Battlefield--Pat Benetar, Somebody's Baby Tonight--Jackson Brown, Billie Jean--Michael Jackson, Night Shift--The Commodores, My Sharona--The Knack
- 10. 99 Luftballons by Nena
I spelt it right! It's german :P
- 9. We're Not Gonna Take It by Twisted Sister
Only #9 cuz they freak me out. X.X
- 8. 867-5309/Jenny by Tommy Tutone
- 7. Hurt So Good by John Cougar Mellencamp
- 6. Footloose by Kenny Loggins
- 5. Come On Eileen by Dexy's Midight Runners
- 4. Take On Me by a-ha
Hey its a good song!
- 3. I Ran by A Flock Of Seagulls
If anyone knows the keyboard chords e-mail me. It's a really great for talent shows.
- 2. Broken Wings by Mr. Mister
It's really good.
- 1. Kyrie by Mr. Mister
It's my name for crying out loud!
I'm too sexi for the 80's, too sexi for the 90's. too sexi yeah!
- 10. Cuts Like A Knife by Bryan Adams
you arent Canadian if you dont remember this one
- 9. Cyndi Lauper by Time After Time
another slow song that rocked
- 8. Moonlight Desires by Gowan
great colabiration with yes's lead singer
- 7. Kiss Me by Stephen "Tin Tin" Duffy
Great dance tune at the time
- 6. To The Bone by Whitesnake
Wasnt into heavy stuff then but i still love this song and album today
- 5. I Want A New Drug by Huey Lewis And The News
This song still kicks
- 4. Whisper To A Scream (Birds Fly) by Icicle Works
Not a very well known piece but an awsome track just the same
- 3. She Sells Sanctuary by The Cult
This album is so much more than the one song ,way ahead of its time
- 2. In A Big Country by Big Country
over looked classic
- 1. True by Spandau Ballet
To many first kisses to remember :) and tons of fond memories
i tried to vary the songs so they didnt look like everyone elses ,so when your creating your own 80s compilation youll be able to be have a variety cheers
By: DJ Avadoria
- 10. Reap The Wild Wind by Ultravox
Lush and lyrical.
- 9. Gone Daddy Gone by Violent Femmes
I prefer "Add It Up" but due to its vulgarity it didn't get as much airplay. Anyway, the cool xylo sound on Gone Daddy Gone rules!
- 8. Everywhere That I'm Not by Translator
This band had a great sound; too bad this was their only hit.
- 7. Strangelove by Depeche Mode
"Strangelove" is my favorite Depeche Mode song. 'Cause that's how my love goes.
- 6. Oblivious by Aztec Camera
Roddy Frame was a genius.
- 5. How Soon Is Now? by The Smiths
So many great Smiths songs to choose from, but this one is a classic. Johnny Marr's guitar makes it so.
- 4. I Will Follow by U2
I first fell in love with U2 listening to this song.
- 3. Pale Shelter by Tears For Fears
Beautiful sound; amazing lyrics.
- 2. Love My Way by The Psychedelic Furs
Truly a great song for all time.
- 1. The Killing Moon by Echo & the Bunnymen
Quite simply, a beautiful, brilliant song.
The 80s were a blast until it got all mainstream and the hair bands took over in the latter part of the decade. I could go on and on, but some honorable mentions are: "Mexican Radio" by Wall of Voodoo; "Do You Really Want to Hurt Me?" by Culture Club; "Enola Gay" by OMD; "Love and Pride" by King; "You Spin Me," by Dead or Alive; "Situation" by Yaz; "More Than This" and "Avalon" by Roxy Music; "Rock the Casbah" by the Clash (most of my favorite clash stuff was late 70s, so I didn't include any trax here); "It Must Be Love" by Madness; "Mirror in the Bathroom" by The English Beat; "They Don't Know" by Tracey Ullman; "Burning Down the House" by the Talking Heads; "Genius of Love" by Tom Tom Club; and the only reason I've left out the B52s and REM is because there are too many great songs to list!
- 10. My Sharona by The Knack
1979. Ok, 1979 Is When It All Began. The Knack Is Considered One Of The Greatest Bands Of The Decade And In My Humble Opinion This Song Represents The Same For The 80's As Nirvana's 'Smells Like...' For The 90's
- 9. Day By Day by The Hooters
1985. Try This One For The Same Party
- 8. Your Love by The Outfield
1985. It Rocks The Party
- 7. Valley Girl by Frank Zappa & Moon Unit Zappa
1982. Funniest 80's Song. It's So Bitchen.....I'm Sure....Totally!
- 6. Working For The Weekend by Loverboy
1981. An Excellent Lost-In-Time Band With A Lot Of Big Hits Like 'The Kid Is Hot Tonight', 'Notorious', 'Turn Me Loose', 'Lucky Ones', And More
- 5. The Reflex by Duran Duran
1983. One Of The Most Succesful Bands Of All Times. This Is My Duran's Favorite Song
- 4. Safety Dance by Men Without Hats
1982. What A Year. Probably The Most Popular Song Of The 80's
- 3. Just Can't Get Enough by Depeche Mode
1981. Mother of 80's New Wave. Vince Clarke is the 80's Keyboard Wizard
- 2. Words by Missing Persons
1982. A Genuine 80's Band. Long Live Terry Bozzio
- 1. Don't You (Forget About Me) by Simple Minds
1985. Great Band, Great Song, Great Sound, Great Melody, Great Voice, Great etc.
By: PG in SF
- 10. Everybody Wants To Rule The World by Tears For Fears
if you grew up in the '80s, you can do no less than turn up the volume when this little nugget comes on
- 9. First Picture Of You by The Lotus Eaters
ok, a seconf wild-card
- 8. Name Of The Game by Dan Hartman
ok, who's heard of it? A wild-card selection for me
- 7. The Sun Always Shines On TV by a-ha
out of place, but a fantastic beat
- 6. The Last Kiss by David Cassidy
haunting melody from a teeni-bopper (oxymoron?)
- 5. Every Breath You Take by The Police
still gives me the shivers
- 4. Into The Groove by Madonna
The material girl just *had to* have one in the top10, and this is her best of that period
- 3. The Power Of Love by Frankie Goes to Hollywood
....a really close 2nd place
- 2. True by Spandau Ballet
......but this is my favourite
- 1. Dancing In The Dark by Bruce Springsteen
All in all, the most complete song of the decade.......
-gratuitous # 11 - Bon Jovi - Living on a prayer (or is it You give love a bad name?) 10 is not enough for the best deacde of music ever - I can't even think of 10 songs I liked from the 90's
By: Ian T
- 10. Tainted Love by Soft Cell
- 9. Everybody Wants To Rule The World by Tears For Fears
- 8. Wild Boys by Duran Duran
One of many great songs from the Durans.
- 7. Come On Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners
Still gets everyone up dancing at discos
- 6. Billie Jean by Michael Jackson
- 5. Alive And Kicking by Simple Minds
Concert at Milton Keynes Bowl supported by Big Audio Dynamite,Dr & The Medics and more.
- 4. Careless Whisper by Wham!
- 3. New Song by Howard Jones
Excellent sinth music which sums up the 80's
- 2. Hold Me Now by Thompson Twins
Big T Twins fan in the 80's,got lots of their 12" singles,albums,pic discs etc.
- 1. Relax by Frankie Goes To Hollywood
Probably the best mix of a record I ever heard was on a cassette single of this song.
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.