In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
By: Veronica Fernandez
I love 80´s music. I think 80´s music is the best music!!!!!
By: James Kingsmill
- 10. Papa Don't Preach by Madonna
Controversy works well for Madonna. This one was no exception.
- 9. I Wanna Dance with Somebody by Whitney Houston
Whitney's best! Long before she decided she wanted to be Dolly Parton.
- 8. Like A Prayer by Madonna
Controversial video - great song!
- 7. Bette Davis Eyes by Kim Carnes
Love this one too!
- 6. Like A Virgin by Madonna
Touch me for the very first time!
- 5. Lost in your Eyes by Debbie Gibson
I was in love with Debbie. She was so much better than Tiffany.
- 4. Against All Odds by Phil Collins
Movie wasn't great - song was awesome!
- 3. Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler
One of the best songs from the 80s!
- 2. La Isla Bonita by Madonna
One of her forgotten songs that I think is one of her best!
- 1. Alone by Heart
Great power ballad! My favorite song EVER!
- 10. Eyes Of The Tiger by Survivor
A classic from Rocky 3
- 9. The Final Countdown by Europe
Europe who? What other song they did?
- 8. Land Of Confusion by Genesis
A clip so good.
- 7. Hungry Like The Wolf by Duran Duran
Like an indiana jones movie in 3-4 minutes
- 6. Girl Just Wanna Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper
A so joyfull song. Linked to the movie the goonies
- 5. When Doves Cry by Prince
Good song, good music, classic of this time.
- 4. I Love Rock 'n' Roll by Joan Jett And The Blackheart
Still good. Better than many other song made theses days
- 3. Karma Chameleon by Culture Club
This song blast the world like an atomic bomb. Remember every girls dress like the singer.
- 2. Bad To The Bone by George Thorogood
One of the best rock song i ever heard.
- 1. Safety Dance by Men Without Hats
funny cool clip. You can't not sing when your heard that song.
I'm sorry for all songs I've forget.. Simply all there's in LiveAid 1985, is what I love!
Yes i have strange taste... LOL
- 10. She's Lost Control by Joy Division
- 9. Sun Always Shines On TV by A-Ha
- 8. Gold by Spandau Ballet
- 7. Fade to Grey by Visage
- 6. Stripped by Depeche Mode
- 5. Pacific State by 808 State
- 4. Belfast Child by Simple Minds
- 3. Internalional Rescue by Fuzzbox
Pure cheese, but so was the 80s
- 2. Blue Monday by New Order
Biggest selling 12" single of all time. The first ever propper dancemusic record. Indie meets electro-synth.
- 1. Love Will Tear Us Apart by Joy Division
The greatest song ever, let alone the 80's.
- 10. Maniac by Michael Sembello
Album: "Bossa Nova Hotel" (1983) - (Flashdance's theme)
- 9. I've Loosing You by A-Ha
Album: "Scoundrel Days" (1986)
- 8. Love Bites by Def Leppard
Album: "Hysteria" (1987)
- 7. Hurts To Be In Love by Gino Vanelli
Album "Black Cars" (1985)
- 6. Like A Fool by Robin Gibb
Album: "WALLS HAVE EYES" (1985)
- 5. Mystify by INXS
Album: "Kick" (1987)
- 4. Strangelove by Depeche Mode
Album: "Music For The Masses" (1987)
- 3. Don't You Forget About Me by Simple Minds
Album: "Live In The City Of Light" (1987)
- 2. Is This Love by Whitesnake
Album: "Whitesnake" (1987)
- 1. No Stranger to Love by Black Sabbath
Album: "Seventh Star"(1987)
By: Juruby Moreno
- 10. Living On A Prayer by Bon Jovi
- 9. Africa by Toto
- 8. Rebel Yell by Billy Idol
He he, now this is another song that makes you want to get up and shake your...
- 7. In The Air Tonight by Phil Collins
Something about this song is awe inspiring, omnious. Love it.
- 6. West End Girls by Pet Shop Boys
Maybe this group isn't so widely known, but I promise you this, once you hear this song, you won't forget it. I love the begining beat, and it's a good idea to pump up the bass when listening to it.
- 5. Rio by Duran Duran
Ah yes, Duran Duran, what good would a list be without their name on it. I like this song as well as View to a Kill, and Save a Prayer, oh yeah and Reflex.
- 4. Take on Me by A-Ha
This is a song you can really dance to, and it was the best music video I'd ever seen!!! (plus the lead singer is such a hotty)
- 3. Billy Jean by Michael Jackson
Now come on, I know people have a thing against him now, but back in the 80s this guy was a genious. I just love the beat of Billy Jean, although I was considering putting in Thriller cause it was such a good video.
- 2. Can't Fight This Feeling Anymore by REO Speedwagon
Oh this is such a good song to play while lying in your lover's arms.
- 1. (I Just) Died In Your Arms by Cutting Crew
I just loved this song when I first heard it. When I first heard it, it made me want to cry. This is the song of my childhood.
By: DJ LB Jones
- 10. She Drives Me Crazy by Fine Young Cannibals
- 9. Atomic Dog by George Clinton
- 8. Rock Steady by The Whispers
- 7. Save The Overtime by Gladys Knight And The Pips
- 6. Do Your Still Care by SOS Band
- 5. I Want To Be Your Man by Roger feat. Zapp
- 4. Word Up/Candy by Cameo
- 3. Let Me Be The One by Five Starr
- 2. All Fall Down by Five Starr
- 1. Domino Dancing by Pet Shop Boys
By: Sam Domingo
- 10. Don't You Forget About Me by Simple MInds
This song makes you dance, dream and even remember your younger years
- 9. I Think Were Alone Now by Tiffany
Remembering Tiffany as one of my "crush" every time I watch this Video and even dancing in it even when I'm alone and play this song.
- 8. Drive by The Car
The lyrics of the song reminds me of my downs in life, and its true also to everyone. Who will drive us home?
- 7. Heaven is a Place on Earth by Belinda Carlisle
Fits for lovers,specially when your high above being in love.I love this song..
- 6. Time After Time by Cyndi Lauper
Every time I hear this song, it makes me wanna go back to my teenage years and wanna see my first love and my first girlfriend.I let her go...so sad
- 5. Into the Groove by Madonna
Oh I like Madonna, shes one of the beautiful faces among pop icons during the eighties, this songs I put to no. 5 are just the songs that makes me dance also.
- 4. True Colors by Cyndi Lauper
These songs are just such meaningful to me..
- 3. Together in Electric Dreams by Human League
Though I forgot the duo who sang these song, I love playing it so much.I even remember my "girlfriends".. For me this song is one of the best of the 80's. You will just dance everytime you hear it..
- 2. Right Here Waiting by Richard Marx
Coz I'm an emotional person, I make this 3 songs as my top 2 list. I just love hearing and hearing it...
- 1. Take on Me by A-Ha
I love the everything in this song, the mtv, the lyrics, the tempo.. It has story in it! Makes you fall in love again and again and again....This will always be my toplist as long as I live, promise......
- 10. Steal Away by Robbie Dupree
Ah, such a grungy early-80's, Jimmy-Carter-era-ish song with a trace of 70's
- 9. Escapade by Janet Jackson
Feel-good song--catchy lyrics
- 8. I Melt With You by Modern English
Weird, meaningful song--love the British-ness
- 7. Always Something There to Remind Me by Naked Eyes
Ah, this one always puts me in a good mood.
- 6. Two of Hearts by Stacy Q
Peppy, up-beat song--typical dance pop from mid-80's
- 5. Head Over Heels by Tears for Fears
Soothing song with great lyrics...the synthes are more subdued but are still effective.
- 4. Obsession by Animotion
Like a German disco...Sexy and smooth.
- 3. Gloria by Laura Branigan
Oh, I LOVE this song! She has such an amazing voice supported by those incredible synthes!
- 2. Oh Father by Madonna
Deep, touching, and completely heartwrenching--greatest of her ballads.
- 1. Borderline by Madonna
My favourite Madonna song--great synthes, memorable lyrics, awesome video.
Yes, I'm a big fan of Madonna--I grew up on her music. I'm also attracted to the "synthe-pop" of the early 80's. 80's music generally (and I do mean generally, concerning pop) has no deeper meaning behind it: it's pure joy and elation, which feelings are good enough for me.
- 10. I Want To Wake Up With You by Boris Gardiner
- 9. Big in Japan by Alphaville
- 8. Disco Band by Scotch
- 7. Square Rooms by Al Corley
- 6. One Night in Bangkok by Murray Head
- 5. White Wedding by Billy Idol
- 4. Wonderfull Life by Black
- 3. Relax by Frankie Goes To Hollywood
- 2. Purple Rain by Prince
- 1. I Just Called to Say I Love You by Stevie Wonder
The music of the 80s is the only music I can listen to it every day. There should be never such a time again in the future.
By: 80s Child
- 10. Outta Touch Outta Time by Hall And Oates
Just an awesome song
- 9. Hold Me Now by Thompson Twins
- 8. Don't You Want Me? by Human League
This one should be on everyones list!!!
- 7. Cherry Pie by Warrant
One of the best rock songs of the 80s, the film clip also rocks!!
- 6. Rio by Duran Duran
Great lyrics, great instrumentals and great film clip
- 5. Come On Eileen by Dexys Midnight Runners
Another great party song!!!! the film clip rocks as well
- 4. Relax by Frankie Goes To Hollyood
This song is great to party too!!!!
- 3. 500 Miles by The Proclaimers
Great to sing out loud at parties
- 2. You Might Think by The Cars
Some great guiitar and synth work
- 1. Hip To Be Square by Huey Lewis And The News
The best song eva!!!!!
By: Brian Reddington
- 10. Panic by The Smiths
Reminds me of the times when we were all trying to be strange and interesting
- 9. Crash by The Primitives
Power pop/indie, good one to "dance" to in a drunken haze
- 8. Dear Prudence by Siouxsie and the Banshees
This typifies a time in my life when I was on the dole and could only buy one record per week, this was one
- 7. Worm in my brain by Weather Prophets
Another Peel band, just tracked down the album with this on.
- 6. Rags to riches by Crazyhead
Excellent Grebo band, try to find their stuff and buy it!
- 5. White city by Thomas Dolby
Trust me, buy the Flat Earth album, you won't regret it
- 4. Planet Earth by Duran Duran
Saw these guys on the 2004 tour, WOW, still got the hangover!
- 3. Close to the edit by Art of noise
Amazing , one of my favorite bands. Sampled by everybody!!!
- 2. October anywhere by Giant Sand
Heard this on John Peel show in the mid eighties, he was my music mentor, who can take his place?
- 1. Eighties by Killing Joke
Well the title speaks for itself doesn't it?
My taste in music was really diverse thanks to John Peel, I wish it could be a top 100, then I could include The The, The Fall, Cardiacs and PWEI
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.