In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
By: Alex Peroulias
I didn't want to comment on each and every song in the list but let's just say that there was one criteria that is the same for all - they basically blew me away the first time I heard them and 20 years later I'm still not tired of hearing them. Honorable mentions: The Unforgettable Fire / With or without you / All I want is you (U2), Livin on a prayer / I'll be there for you / Livin in Sin (Bon Jovi), Heaven (Bryan Adams), Move Closer (Phyllis Nelson), Into the night (Benny Mardones), Oh father (Madonna), Patience /Paradise city / Welcome to the jungle (Guns n Roses), Save a Prayer (Duran Duran), Careless Whisper (George Michael), In your eyes (Peter Gabriel), I'm on fire (Bruce Springsteen), Brothers in arms (Dire Straits), Purple rain (Prince), Killing moon (Echo+bunnymen), Back in black / You shook me all night long (ACDC), Dr feelgood (Motley Crue), Kokomo (Beach Boys), Panama (Van Halen), If you leave (OMD), Say you will (Mick Jagger)
Getting ready for the 20 year high school reunion...these are the songs I remember the most from those early days of MTV
- 10. I Was Born To Love You by Freddie Mercury
I could fall in love with this song
- 9. True by Spandau Ballet
great to listen to
- 8. Shout by Tears For Fears
- 7. Radio Ga Ga by Queen
a great song about the radio
- 6. Autobiografia by Perfect
I know that you possibly don't know it,but if you only can please do listen to it,(you know mp3 and so on)there is an amazing guitar,the song is 'autobiography'just listen to it,you'll love it!!!
- 5. It's A Hard Life by Queen
nice lyrics and great video and the voice:)
- 4. The Final Countdown by Europe
it is still popular
- 3. Under Pressure by Queen and David Bowie
this pops into your mind for a long time, the guitar
- 2. Father Figure by George Michael
romantic and sexy
- 1. One Vision by Queen
I love the percussion here
- 10. If I Could Turn Back Time by Cher
- 9. Angel by Aerosmith
- 8. Forgiveness by Eagles
- 7. Don't you (Forget About Me) by Simple Minds
- 6. Don't Dream its Over by Crowded House
- 5. Here I Go Again by Whitesnake
- 4. Home Sweet Home by Mötely Crüe
This Band kicked but
- 3. Every Rose Has Its Thorn by Poison
Bret Michaels = Every young Girls Dream
- 2. With or Without you by U2
Beautiful song, great album. U2s best song.
- 1. Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns and Roses
Come on everyone loves this song.
Growing up in the 80s was the best! Big hair, slouch socks. Regular Nintendo all night long. You could never get enough super Cantra and super mario brothers.
By: Emrah Kolukisa
- 10. Billy Jean by Michael Jackson
No list is complete without Billie Jean.
- 9. I Like Chopin by Gazebo
Well, don't you?
- 8. Smooth Operator by Sade
Great song, great voice.
- 7. Abracadabra by Steve Miller Band
Noa a Serenade maybe but still great.
- 6. Maneater by Hall & Oates
Just listen to it once and you're hooked.
- 5. Come Back And Stay by Paul Young
This is what the 80's is about. This song has the soul of the era.
- 4. Relax by Frankie Goes To Hollywood
Sounds big and pretty powerfull stuff.
- 3. Come On Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners
So fun you ca^'t miss it.
- 2. Sweet Dreams ( Are Made Of This ) by Eurythmics
THE 80's song.
- 1. Down Under by Men At Work
Simply the best
Honourable mentions: Shout by Tears For Fears, It's A Shame by Talk Talk, When Doves Cry by Prince, Last Christmas by George Michael, Too Shy by Kajagoogoo, Do You Want To Really Hurt me? by Culture Club, Don't Go by Yazoo, Moonlight Shadow by Mike Oldfield, 19 by Paul Hardcastle, One Night In Bangkok by Murray Head, Eye Of The Tiger by Survivor, Power Of Love by FGTH, Wild Boys by Duran Duran, Words by F.R. David, Ele Gune Karsi by Mazhar Fuat Ozkan, Girls Just Wanna Have Fun by Cindy Lauper, Mr. Roboto by Styx, Ebony & Ivory by Stevie Wonder & Paul Mc Cartney, Jeanny by Falco and last but not least Russians and Moon Over Bourbon Street by Sting.
- 10. Listen To Your Heart by Roxette
- 9. Personal Jesus by Depeche Mode
- 8. Tell It To My Heart by Taylor Dayne
- 7. Another Day In Paradise by Phill Collins
- 6. We Are The World by USA for Africa
- 5. Stop by Sam Brown
- 4. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun by Cindy Lauper
- 3. Eternal Flame by The Bangles
- 2. Holiday by Madonna
- 1. Thriller by Michael Jackson
By: Syraniss Dalton
There are too many songs I loved from the 80's I could not list all of my favorites.
- 10. Kokomo by Beach Boys
This was a nice feel good hit.
- 9. Every Rose Has Its Thorn by Poison
You gotta hand it to 'em.
- 8. Hungry Like the Wolf by Duran Duran
- 7. I've Had the Time of My Life by Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes
Classic Romance song; one of the best ever.
- 6. Rock You Like a Hurricane by Scorpions
- 5. Life Is a Highway by Tom Cochran
- 4. Under Pressure by Queen and David Bowie
Hopefully Vanilla Ice didn't ruin this famous track.
- 3. Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Leppard
Was there a better song to dance to?
- 2. Here I Go Again by Whitesnake
One of the best build ups to a song in history
- 1. When Doves Cry by Prince
Defined the 80s
Honorable Mention-Ghostbusters by Ray Parker Junior.
- 10. Seventeen by Winger
- 9. Here I Go Again by Whitesnake
- 8. Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Leppard
- 7. Knockin On Heavens Door by Guns N Roses
- 6. Keep On Loving You by REO Speedwagon
- 5. I'll Never Let You Go by Steelheart
- 4. Bringing On The Heartbreak by Def Leppard
- 3. Every Rose Has Its Thorn by Poison
- 2. Bed of Roses by Bon Jovi
- 1. Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns N Roses
By: SoKkErMaNs BaBe
I Love the 80s!!! That was so my time
By: David Loh
- 10. Uptown Girl by Billy Joel
I didn't like the voice of the singer when I first heard it. But the song just drills into me. A great video too. I think most ordinary guy like me would've dream to be Billy Joel in that video. Easy to sing chorus. Very cheerful tune.
- 9. Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Leppard
I can't remember how many thousands times I've played the Hysteria album. I think if I do any further the stylus would've sliced the record. This song is close to my heart because it helped me to communicate with a classmate of mine back in high school. Before that, we were not in talking terms.
- 8. With or Without You by U2
I didn't like this band initially. But I have grown to like the Joshua Tree album. The song started out slow but exploded mid way. Very emotional song, cries of despair. An irish band that make it big all over the world.
- 7. Living On A Prayer by Bon Jovi
My 2nd favourite band. They are the band that make me start the haevy metal craze back in the mid-80s. I was the only student in class listening to heavy metal back then when others were into depeche mode. It's a very encouraging song. Bon Jovi still rocks.
- 6. Faithfully by Journey
Journey is my favourite band. There's so many hits from them which I like eg Open Arms, I'll be Alright Without You, Don't Stop Believing. But faithfully is a haunting tune in a good way. You can feel the songwriter really put his heart into it.
- 5. Africa by Toto
This is a very unique song. I don't even know how to classify this song. But it's the 80s. Great collaboration of instruments. It has a soul searching feel. Another of my favourite sing along song.
- 4. Jump by Van Halen
The synthesizer start to the song really excites me. You wouldn't think they are a heavy metal band when you first hear this song. Very unusual when heavy metal is mostly associated when angst back then. This is a fun song.
- 3. Summer of 69 by Bryan Adams
I wasn't even born in 1969. But again, this song seems to remind us of our childhood dreams and it tells a story.
- 2. Jack and Diane by John Cougar
I'm not an american but the songs seems to remind us of those good old days when we are in high school. I love a song that tells a story. They don't write songs like this anymore. Oh yeah! Life goes on...
- 1. Every Breath You Take by The Police
Hypnotic rhythm. Soulful song. A timeless piece. Strangely, I didn't like it when I first heard it. But it has become my favourite sing along song.
I have been collecting 80s music CDs and records for a while. But I've always keen to know if I missed out any good 80s song and I came across this site through the search engine. As you have noticed from my list, I'm more into rock. The songs remind me of my good old childhood days. Something to fall abck on to when my chips are down.
- 10. Close To Me by The Cure
Words can not express how awesome this song is.
- 9. Everybody Have Fun Tonight by Wang Chung
Okay now, I'm not sure, but I think this song was in a really old old Pizza Hut commericial back in the day. Anyone remember?
- 8. Another One Bites The Dust by Queen
This song has a really great beat to it, you can't help but get up from your chair and dance.
- 7. Eye Of The Tiger by Survivor
Ah, yet another song from the movies. Go Rocky, go!
- 6. Thriller by Michael Jackson
Come on now, you really think I'd make this list and not include "Thriller"? Please. This song made the 80's what it is.
- 5. Hungry Eyes by Eric Carmen
This is such an awesome song. Everytime I listen to it, it makes me want to watch Dirty Dancing again and again.
- 4. Take My Breath Away by Berlin
Two words that make this song great: Top Gun. Two words that make this song suck: Jessica Simpson.
- 3. We Are The World by USA For Africa
The ultimate benefit song of the 80's. Kinda makes me want to get out my lighter...
- 2. Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen
Wayne's World. Need I say more?
- 1. Dreams by Van Halen
Come on now. Synthesizers? So totally 80's. Sounds like the type of song to come on during the last scene or the end credits of an 80's movie. Gotta love it. It's the ultimate guilty pleasure.
If the 80's wasn't the best decade ever for music, then I guess I don't know anything. So many good bands, and even the worst of songs weren't that bad to listen to. Picking your favorite top 10 is hard.
- 10. 'New Year's Day' by U2
Great song! Bono rocks!
- 9. 'Every Breath You Take' by The Police
Great love song, it's so beautiful...
- 8. 'Train in Vain' by The Clash
Poppy beat to it.
- 7. 'Valerie Loves Me' by Material Issue
GREAT SONG! Love it to death!
- 6. 'Shout' by Tears for Fears
Great rebellion song.
- 5. 'With or Without You' by U2
Love this song so much... it's so touching.
- 4. 'Always Something there to Remind Me' by Naked Eyes
I just like this song because it brings me great memories.
- 3. 'Sweet Child O' Mine' by Guns 'N' Roses
One of GNR's greatest songs...
- 2. 'Welcome to the Jungle' by Guns 'N' Roses
Best headbanging song ever!
- 1. 'Enjoy the Silence' by Depeche Mode
I couldn't really decide which songs I liked best so they're in random order. All I know is that they're awesome!
- 10. The Ghost In You by The Psychedelic Furs
Certainly one of their best.
- 9. Only A Memory by The Smithereens
So I liked a girl once who was really into them, so what!
- 8. Dancing (With Tears In My Eyes) by Ultravox
- 7. Sweet Jane by Cowboy Junkies
Sweet, sweet Jane, baby.
- 6. Every Day Is Halloween by Ministry
- 5. Gypsy by Fleetwood Mac
- 4. State Of Emergency by Cactus World News
One of the coolest tunes ever.
- 3. Pale Shelter by Tears For Fears
Not often played on the radio, but definitely one of their best.
- 2. It's My Life by Talk Talk
- 1. Cuts You Up by Peter Murphy
One of the coolest tunes ever.
These are in NO PARTICULAR ORDER and cover NO PARTICULAR GENRE. But I happen to be listening to most of these while going over this list and though they should be included. THANKS!
- 10. Hungry Like the Wolf by Duran Duran
- 9. Land Down Under by Men at Work
Made you want to go to Australia to try a vegiemite sandwich
- 8. Don't Dream It's Over by Crowded House
- 7. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun by Cindy Lauper
Remember her punk hair? How radical!
- 6. Turn Me Loose by Loverboy
what 80s list is complete without Loverboy. I hear they still tour only their venues are quite a bit smaller now
- 5. Miracles by Jefferson Starship
- 4. Tempted By The Fruit Of Another by Squeeze
- 3. Glory Days by Bruce Springstein
I ran into an old friend of mine at a bar and it reminded me of this song we look back on the 80s, our "glory days"
- 2. Carribbean Queen by Billy Ocean
I love the sax solo here.
- 1. Maneater by Hall & Oates
watch out boys, she'll chew you up
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.