In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
By: Andres Frohmann
- 10. Sorrow by Pink Floyd
- 9. Waiting for 1989 by Sumo
- 8. Master of Puppets by Metallica
- 7. Message in a Bottle by Sting & The Police
- 6. Girls just wanna have fun by Cindy Lauper
- 5. Innuendo by Queen
- 4. Let's go to bed by The Cure
- 3. One by Metallica
- 2. Friday i'm in love by The Cure
- 1. The Show must go on by Queen
By: Craig Lassner
- 10. 99 Luftballons by Nena
I needed a New Wave rep, I chose this song because it's still so damn catchy and the clap and general tone of the music belie the songs morose lyrics, which tell the story of the beginning of WWIII.
- 9. I Know it's Over by The Smiths
Showcases Morrissey's poetic lyrics full of irony and pensiveness. if you're funny...so clever...so very entertaining...very good looking, why do you sleep alone tonight? Because tonight is just like any other.
- 8. When Doves Cry by Prince
Prince, 'Nuf Said!
- 7. This Must Be the Place by The Talking Heads
- 6. The Message by Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five
In its 7 or so minutes, it doesn't grow tiring for a second. The song gave rap music a social conscience and dont forget the beat.
- 5. Where Is my Mind by The Pixies
Where would music have gone in the 90s if it werent for The Pixies and The Smiths. The song eerily remarkable.
- 4. In Your Eyes by Peter Gabriel
My favorite love song.
- 3. Gangsta Gangsta by NWA
Set the tone for mainstream rap for the next 10 years. Brilliant storey telling.
- 2. How Soon Is Now by The Smiths
That rolling guitar and Morrisey's haunting lyrics "I am human and I need to be loved, just like everybody else does," make for the greatest rock song of the 80s.
- 1. Billie Jean by Michael Jackson
Still the greatest pop song ever recorded. I dont dance and this song just makes me wanna move my feet.
I left out some of the best and most important bands of the 80s, because this is about the songs, so recognition to Run DMC, The Beastie Boys, Public Enemy, U2, Dire Straits, The Police, and 80s hair groups.
- 10. Against All Odds by Phil Collins
People could say this man sucks, but for me this song is something.
- 9. Drive by The Cars
I think this is a humble master piece
- 8. Alone Again by Dokken
Killer Rock ballad
- 7. Love Through the Barricades by Spandau Ballet
No words to describe this song.
- 6. Every Breath You Take by The Police
Marvelous bass in hands of sting
- 5. With or Without you by U2
Perfect from head to toe.
- 4. Purple Rain by Prince
Oh man, apolonia kotero and her awesome body.
- 3. Sweet Child O' Mine by guns 'n roses
Best rock band, this song make me cry.
- 2. It's Over by Level 42
Piece a classic!
- 1. Carelesss Whisper by Wham!
Best song ever!!
Probably I'm missing a few songs like Billy Jean and Wanted dead or alive and groups like Yazoo, but you asked just for ten, so their are.
- 10. Blue Monday by New Order
Hugely influencial and again still sounds fresh
- 9. Wake Me Up Before You Go Go by Wham!
Just a great pop song
- 8. With Or Without You by U2
Hasn't dated at all, still fresh
- 7. Going Underground by The Jam
A bonafide Brit classic
- 6. Waterfall by The Stone Roses
Great memories of this song
- 5. Sowing The Seeds Of Love by Tears For Fears
Massively over-ambitious and over-produced but still fantastic
- 4. Love Will Tear Us Apart by Joy Division
My favourite song ever
- 3. The Killing Moon by Echo And The Bunnymen
A band that had potential to be far bigger than they were!
- 2. Lifes What You Make It by Talk Talk
Great song from an underrated band
- 1. The Queen Is Dead by The Smiths
Possibly the best opening track to an album ever
Special mention to Morris Minor and the Majors with "Stutter Rap" and "Star Trekkin'" by The Firm.
- 10. You Spin Me Right Round by Billy Idol
- 9. Urgent by Foreigner
- 8. Sweet Dreams by Eurythmics
- 7. Welcome To the Jungle by Guns 'n' Roses
- 6. Strangelove by Depeche Mode
- 5. Friday I'm in Love by The Cure
- 4. 99 Luftballoons by Nena
By far, German version is way better than English. [Editor: "99 Luftballons" and "99 Red Balloons" are actually two different songs, since the lyrics of "99 Red Balloons" have nothing to do with the lyrics of "99 Luftballoons"]
- 3. It's the End of the World as We Know it by R.E.M
- 2. Free Falling by Tom Petty
- 1. Don't You Forget About Me by Tears for Fears
For the Record, this song is better than Everybody wants to the rule the world, hands down, off of Breakfast Club Soundtrack
By: Adam Vee
- 10. Fascination by Human League
- 9. I Listen To The Radio by The Members
- 8. You Left Me Just When I Needed You Most by Randy Vanwarmer
- 7. The Riddle by Nick Kershaw
- 6. Baggy Trousers by Madness
- 5. Shout by Tears for Fears
- 4. I Gues The Rains Down In Afrika by Toto
- 3. Der Kommisar by Falco
- 2. Shiny shiny by Hazy Fantazy
- 1. I've Been Waiting For A Girl Like You by Foreigner
Aaaaahhhh, the good ole days of College
Hope you like my list, i'm a huge fan of 80s music and i think those are some of the best songs ever written.
God I love the 80`s.
- 10. Swamp Thing by Chameleons UK
THE most underrated band of the 80s. I hear their influence everywhere, though. I didn't hear them until about 2000. Do me a favor & CHECK THEM OUT!!!
- 9. Imagination by Xymox
I know I heard this song around '89, but unfortunately, I didn't get it taped off the radio, & I didn't hear it again until about '98. That then started my Xymox fascination... they have SO much good music, & still remain (generally) too unknown, if you ask me.
- 8. I Will Follow by U2
This is my favorite U2 song, period. I was a big U2 fan when I heard it in the early 90s. Everything about this song just rocks my world.
- 7. Everyday is Halloween by Ministry
This one definitely isn't a good representative of what Ministry became (I like a lot of the more aggressive & heavier material too), but I still love it anyway.
- 6. She Sells Sanctuary by The Cult
What can I say, this one's just awesome.
- 5. Don't Change by INXS
This isn't their most popular radio song, but after being very familiar with their late 80s/early 90s stuff, I fell in love with this one when I heard it in '92.
- 4. Just Like Heaven by The Cure
This one's definitely been overplayed by now, but still remains my favorite. It's hard to just pick one Cure song... my others would be "Pictures of You" & "In Between Days".
- 3. So Alive by Love & Rockets
I heard this about '91. I didn't know anything about Bauhaus, L&R, or Peter Murphy. I just knew I loved this song.
- 2. Blue Monday by New Order
I didn't hear this until about '92 as well, but oh, it hasn't gotten out of my head since.
- 1. Lips Like Sugar by Echo & the Bunnymen
This is the best song EVER, IMHO. I dunno why I love this song so much... I heard it in '92 after taping a Pearl Jam song off the radio... yah, what a difference (I miss it when radio played VARIETY!!). Anyway, I've been obsessing over it ever since!
This list was a blast to put together because they bring back so many good memories. I may not have been too old enough to really enjoy the 80s, but it definitely made an early impression me as far as my musical listening habits when I heard most of them in the early 90s, & that hasn't really changed too much. Most of the newer bands I've liked since & now are definitely influenced by these bands. These include some of my all-time favorite bands... the only band that's missing here is Depeche Mode, but most of my favorite songs of theirs are from the 90s.
By: Christine Lastrilla
There are SoOoOoOo many 80s songs and i just listed a few favorites from the top of my head.
- 10. Rock You Like A Hurricane by Scorpions
- 9. Cherry Pie by Warrant
- 8. Final Countdown by Europe
- 7. Nothing But A Good Time by Poison
- 6. Photograph by Def Leppard
- 5. I'm Alright by Theme from Caddyshack
- 4. Rebel Yell by Billy Idol
- 3. I Remember You by Skid Row
- 2. It's Tricky by Run DMC
- 1. Kickstart My Heart by Mötley Crüe
By: T. B. Jordan
- 10. Sister Christian by Night Ranger
- 9. Back Where I Started by Box of Frogs
- 8. Life's What You Make It by Talk Talk
- 7. Be Good Johnny by Men at Work
- 6. Wind Him Up by Saga
- 5. The Walls Came Down by The Call
- 4. The Safety Dance by Men Without Hats
- 3. Politics of Dancing by Re-Flex
- 2. She's a Beauty by The Tubes
- 1. The Old Man is Down the Road by John Fogerty
Just 10 great songs off the top of my head that I remember being most excited about hearing on the radio or on MTV back in those days.
- 10. Easy Lover by Phil Collins
- 9. I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight by Cutting Crew
One of the best in 80s [Editor: I changed the artist from Foreigner to Cutting Crew]
- 8. Automatic by Poiner Sisters
One of the best dance hit from 80s !!! Really wicked. If you are listening it you feel the climat of 80s :)
- 7. Upside Down by Pointer Sisters
- 6. Broken Wings by Mr. Mister
Little sad bad good [Editor: I changed the artist from Foreigner to Mr. Mister]
- 5. Smooth Criminal by Michael Jackson
watch the clip !!!
- 4. Let The Music Play by Shannon
- 3. The Tide Is High by Blondie
Climat of sunny Florida or Cuba :D
- 2. Thriller by Michael Jackson
- 1. Out Of Touch by Hall & Oats
I think these hits are the best of 80s.
By: Clarke Juses
- 10. Love In An Elevator by Aerosmith
Joe Perry's Best guitar work yet
- 9. Hot For Teacher by Van Halen
I've Got My Pencil!!!!
- 8. Fade To Black by Metallica
Proves that Metallica has at least a little bit of versitality
- 7. Hell's Bells by AC/DC
A Heavymetal Classic
- 6. Rag Doll by Aerosmith
Aerosmith's best in the 80's
- 5. Crazy Train by Ozzy Osbourne
- 4. One by Metallica
One of the Best Metallica songs ever
- 3. The Number Of The Beast by Iron Maiden
One of the few non glam bands started in the 80's
- 2. Welcome To The Jungle by Guns 'n' Roses
Finally put an end to glam rock
- 1. Master Of Puppets by Metallica
The definition of Heavy Metal....There will be more Metallica
I'm not completely against glam rock, I do like a little Motley Crue and Bon Jovi
By: Tate Meagher
- 10. Out of Touch by Hall and Oates
Great 80s jam!
- 9. Come on Feel the Noise by Quiet Riot
A great song to bong a beer to!
- 8. Jump by Van Halen
One of the best bands of all time, and one of the best songs.
- 7. Here I Go Again by Whitesnake
Song that gets me extremely pumped up and in a good mood.
- 6. Head On by Jesus and the Mary Chain
Great 80s song by an underrated band.
- 5. Land Down under by Man at Work
A very distinctive song, that I still listen to very often today.
- 4. Push by The Cure
This song was never a single, but it is my favorite of their music.
- 3. Your Love by The Outfield
A very catchy chorus that really sets the tone for 80s music.
- 2. Rock the Casbah by The Clash
This band is awesome, and this is their best song. I like the meaning behind it too.
- 1. Big Country by Big Country
One hit wonder, though this song is simply amazing. Very underrated song.
- 10. Electric Boogie by Marcia Griffiths
Best known as the "Electric Slide" you will never go to a dance without hearing this classic
- 9. Time After Time by Cyndi Lauper
Great soft pop song.
- 8. Invisible Touch by Genesis
Best Genesis song of the 1980s.
- 7. Something Happened on the Way to Heaven by Phil Collins
One of Phil's best.
- 6. The Promist by When In Rome
A one hit wonder, but a classic one indeed.
- 5. The Reflex by Duran Duran
Who can resist this catchy song?
- 4. Beat It by Michael Jackson
Van Halen and Michael Jackson for one powerful song.
- 3. She Drives Me Crazy by Fine Young Cannibals
Good, catchy, upbeat song.
- 2. Human by Human League
One of the great #1's by the Human League
- 1. Thriller by Michael Jackson
The greatest 80s, and dance song of all time.
Best remember 80's songs in my books!
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.