In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
By: Bryan Bult
It's kinda hard narrowing it down to 10. I'd have to give honorable mention to: Enya's "Watermark", Everything But the Girl's "Eden", and Indigo Girls' debut.
- 10. Sunday Bloody Sunday by U2
Good. Not their best stuff.
- 9. Running Down A Dream by Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
- 8. Every Rose Has Its Thorn by Poison
Great song. Never heard any other songs by them.
- 7. You Shook Me All Night Long by AC/DC
Good song. Not a big AC/DC lover.
- 6. Free Fallin' by Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
Great 80's song.
- 5. Every Breath You Take by The Police
Great band. Great song.
- 4. Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns N' Roses
Guns N' Roses's best song.
- 3. Pride (In The Name Of Love) by U2
One Of Their Best!!
- 2. Eye Of The Tiger by Survivor
- 1. Sultans Of Swing by Dire Straits
80's music was not the best.
- 10. You Shook Me All Night Long by AC/DC
- 9. We Got The Beat by Go Gos
- 8. Jump Around by House Of Pain
- 7. Atlantic Starr by Masterpiece
- 6. The Postman Song by Stevie B.
- 5. One More Try by Timmy T
- 4. Supersonic by JJ Fad
- 3. We're Not Gonna Take It by Twisted Sister
- 2. Going Back to Cali by L.L. Cool J
- 1. Fight For Your Right by Beastie Boys
Just thought I'd mention some that weren't on the other lists.
By: Chelsea Rae
ME ENCANTA LA MUSICA DE 80's.
By: Karin M.
- I can think of a lot more great 80's tracks, but the list only gives you room for 10, and these are my top 10 list of all time, enjoy!
By: Scary Sherry
- 10. Backfired by Deborah Harry
FIRST SOLO HIT, ANOTHER RAP HIT FOR BLONDIE SINGER, PRODUCED BY CHIC.
- 9. The Message by Grandmaster Flash
- 8. Planet Claire by B'52's
- 7. Situation by Yazoo
- 6. Dont Forget About Me by Simple Minds
- 5. Take On Me by A-ha
- 4. Atomic by Blondie
AMAZING NEW WAVE ROCK CLASSIC.....GO CHECK IT OUT NOW, VERY COOL SONG!!!
- 3. One Way Or Another by Blondie
- 2. Call Me by Blondie
#1 CHARTED SONG OF 1980
- 1. Rapture by Blondie
BLONDIE ARE THE DEFINTIVE BAND OF THE 1980S, THEY HELPED EXPOSE AND CREATE ROCK ORIENTED ELECTRONICA IN THE 1970'S AND PUT RAP OUT INTO THE MAINSTREAM WITH RAPTURE.
- 10. Jack And Diane by John Cougar Mellencamp
School dance staple. I always went for the quasi-tomboy girls in their tight-fitting Levi's and plain-jane t-shirts. You know, the girls that smoked Marlboro reds and would sneak a beer with you behind their fence at 9 PM.
- 9. The Entire Vinyl Confessions Album by Kansas
Introduced me to what is still one of the best progressive rock bands of all time. This is thinking mans' music.
- 8. Need You Tonight by ZZ Top
I remember my first french kiss to this song at the local roller skating rink. She was taller than me, even with skates on. Been a favorite every since.
- 7. My Kinda Lover by Billy Squier
Used to think this song was written so I could use it woo the girls on my street. Innocent times -- watching E.T. on VHS with a neighborhood cutie.
- 6. Mean Street by Van Halen
This song defines my idea of a good rock song.
- 5. Down Under by Men At Work
What can I say? Reminds me of hanging out with the girls and guys at the arcade. Why were girls so much better dressed in the early 80s than girls are now?
- 4. More Than This by Roxy Music
No one has a voice like Bryan Ferry and not many bands deliver the emotion like Roxy Music.
- 3. Rosanna by Toto
- 2. Africa by Toto
Toto was so underrated as a band.
- 1. Don't Stop Believin' by Journey
This song was amazing when it came out and still gives me the same emotional high. Members Only Jackets, malls, arcade games, checking out the girls at the bowling alley. The innocent days of youth and fun.
This list is by no means exclusive and nor is it in any sort of definitive order.
By: Deryk Hambley
- 10. Complex by Gary Numan
Just the instruments alone make this song so creepy...but when the vocals come in it sound remorseful...then back to sad again... It sounds like a really trippy song. Very morbid. A lot better than Cars. "So I'm down to this, I'm down to walking on air. And you're here by my side with all your waving and smiles."
- 9. Everything Counts by Depeche Mode
Another astonishing Depeche Mode track. "The grabbing hands grab all they can...all for themselves. After all its a competetive world. Everything counts in large amounts!"
- 8. Dead Man's Party by Oingo Boingo
A nice little dance tune. "I was struck by lightning walking in my sleep. I was hit by somthing last night in my sleep. It's a dead man's party. Everybody's coming. Leave your body at the door."
- 7. Together In Electric Dreams by Phil Oakley & Giorgio Moroder
I love a good love song. Giorgio Moroder is a genius. I'm a big fan. You should hear some of his other songs, like Chase, I Wanna Rock You, E=MC2 and First Hand Experience In Second Hand Love. "Love never ends...We'll slways be together. However far it seems! We'll always be together, together in electric dreams."
- 6. People Are People by Depeche Mode
Depeche Mode's second greatest song, in my opinon. It really speaks to me when I was going though a rough time. Strange how they can create such downtempo themes and turn them so upbeat and danceable. "People are people so why should it be you and I should get along so awfully."
- 5. Take On Me by a-ha
THE most famous and influencial new wave song of the 80's...it certainly fueled my influence. Why it's so good...I don't know...all I can say is that I've never met someone who hasen't heard this song and been able to say they don't love it. "Take on me. Take me on. I'll be home. In a day or two."
- 4. Do It By Myself by Elektrikalorius
This song is by..get this...a GARAGE BAND. Off of www.garagebands.com. According to ID, it says this song was released in 1985. Its the best song on the website. I recommend you look it up. It expresses a writer's thoughts as he feels he's living life alone with nobody to help him. "But I must do it by myself and on my own. You take my strength to carry on...what can I do..."
- 3. You Spin Me Round (Like A Record) by Dead Or Alive
I have no idea why I like this song, I just so. It sounds a bit..."stalkerish"... "You spin me right, round, baby, right, round. Like a record, baby, right, round, round, round."
- 2. Enjoy The Silence by Depeche Mode
Depeche Mode is probably one of my favourite band (either Depeche Mode, Barenaked Ladies or The Beatles). I can can name at least 20 songs by them that are good. However, the song by them that is the best has got to be this one. Enjoy the silence. Extraordinary synths, extraordinary vocals, and extraordinary lyrics. Put that together and you got one kickass song. Other great song by them (not on list) include Strangelove, Halo, Walking In My Shoes, New Life, Photographic (Some Bizarre Version) and Blasphemous Rumours, just to name a few. I first heard this song at a troubled time in my life, and it hit me very strong emotionally. "All I ever wanted, all I ever needed is here in my arms. Words are very unnessisary...they can only do harm."
- 1. Blue Monday by New Order
I absolutely love this song. This song runs for over seven minutes, and I'm listened to it over 40 times on my iPod. This was one of the first tracks to cross over to house format. And it is absolutely amazing. The synthesizers and drum machines are used immaculatly. Nobody, I mean NOBODY could possible do this song any better. "I see a ship in a harbour. I can and shall obey. But if it weren't for you're misfortune I'de be a heavenly person today."
Other great songs that didn't make it to my top ten are: It's My Life - Talk Talk, Living On The Cieling - Blancmange, Live Wire - Motley Crue, The Warrior - Scandal, Sex (I'm A...) - Berlin, How To Be A Millionaire - ABC, any song by Human League, Too Shy - Kajagoogoo, Promised Land - Joe Smooth, and Relax - Frankie Goes To Hollywood. There are other I could name, but if I were to keep going, I wouldn't be able to stop and thde list would go on forever.
- 10. Street Of Dreams by Rainbow
- 9. Love Song by Tesla
Starts sweet, finishes strong.
- 8. Leah by Donnie Iris
Dynamic rock song.
- 7. Round And Round by Ratt
- 6. Turn It On by Genesis
Raises my spirits.
- 5. Flirtin With Disaster by Molly Hatchet
Great southern rock.
- 4. Everything She Wants by Wham
Dated a girl like that.
- 3. Love Bites by Def Leppard
Great love song with teeth.
- 2. Don't Tell Me You Love Me by Night Ranger
Love the pace of the song.
- 1. Call It Love by Poco
Reminds me of 928 Porsche.
All bring back memories.
- 10. Eye Of The Tiger by Survivor
This is a great song.
- 9. New Year's Day by U2
Can't get enough of U2.
- 8. Eminence Front by The Who
One of the most underated songs in history.
- 7. Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd
Pink Floyd's best song.
- 6. With Or Without You by U2
They use so many different genres in their music.
- 5. Runnin' Down A Dream by Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
Great song, love the solo at the end.
- 4. Free Fallin' by Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
Tom Petty's best.
- 3. Sunday Bloody Sunday by U2
Love it. Their one of my favorites.
- 2. Pride (In The Name Of Love) by U2
One of U2's best songs.
- 1. Every Breath You Take by The Police
By their best song followed by "Roxanne"
Don't like 80's music to much because of AC/DC and other overated bands, but U2, The Police, & Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers were the light in the darkness.
By: Mark Hancock
- 10. New Moon On Monday by Duran Duran
I've always thought this track had a great groove to it. One of the funkiest rock songs of the decade. I was shocked it wasn't a bigger hit.
- 9. Don't Stop Believin by Journey
Steve Perry at his best! I thought he had the best voice of the 80's and this track is a great example of his vocal range.
- 8. Jump by Van Halen
My favorite Van Halen track since I was a big David Lee Roth fan!
- 7. Heart And Soul by Huey Lewis And The News
My favorite Huey Lewis record ever! Heard him perform it live recently and it still sounded great!
- 6. You Spin Me Round (Like A Record) by Dead Or Alive
Still a great song to dance to! I used to think the lead singer was a girl that sounded like a guy!
- 5. If You Leave by OMD
A very romantic record....one of the best love songs from the 80's. Reminds me of a girl named Leslie I used to have a big crush on in high school.
- 4. Jungle Love by The Time
Great party record! The best concert sequence from the Purple Rain film that Morris Day stole from Prince.
- 3. Beat It by Micheal Jackson
I used to look an awful lot like Michael back in the day...he was and still is my musical hero! MJ at his best!
- 2. Don't You Forget About Me by Simple Minds
This song gives me chills everytime I hear it....It was the lead single from one of my favorite movies--The Breakfast Club. Great song!
- 1. I Want A New Drug by Huey Lewis And The News
This song reminds me of my best friend in high school Gregory Hunt....he used to blast this song every time we would take off for a night on the town. It signaled the start of the weekend for me, even to this day!
These are the 10 songs that instantly take me back to the best decade for music EVER!
- 10. People Who Died by The Jim Carroll Band
Edgy, Punk, Funny, Sad... Yah
- 9. Cars by Gary Numan
Hypnotic, catchy, showed what was to come
- 8. Sledgehammer by Peter Gabriel
- 7. Sweet Dreams by Eurythmics
Should be on everyone's list
- 6. Jeopardy by Greg Kihn Band
Supremely underrated band
- 5. Wake Me Up Before You GoGo by Wham!
Laugh, snicker, say what you will... this is the BEST POP SONG ever written.
- 4. Don't You Forget About Me by Simple Minds
If the 80's had to have a theme song, this would be it.
- 3. Lose Your Love by The Outfield
- 2. Owner Of A Lonely Heart by Yes
- 1. One Thing Leads To Another by The Fixx
Simply the best
- 10. Free Fallin' by Tom Petty
What a truthful song.
- 9. It's All Coming Back To Me Now by Pandora's Box
The original version. It takes my breath away.
- 8. One Night In Bangkok by Murray Head
It's about chess. My inner geek rejoices!
- 7. Learning To Fly by Pink Floyd
A great song from my favorite band.
- 6. Welcome To The Jungle by Guns N' Roses
This song is so raw...
- 5. The Reflex by Duran Duran
I love songs about that.
- 4. The End Of The Line by The Traveling Wilburys
George Harrison's voice is so strong on this track.
- 3. Eye Of The Tiger by Survivor
I try to listen to it at least once a day.
- 2. Don't You Forget About Me by Simple Minds
This song is the very definition of the 80s.
- 1. One by Metallica
The greatest song ever recorded.
- 10. Hungry Like The Wolf by Duran Duran
Epitome of the 80s
- 9. With Or Without You by U2
I can't live without them
- 8. Into The Groove by Madonna
80s were so her best time
- 7. Just Can't Get Enough by Depeche Mode
was it the 80s without them?
- 6. Girls Just Want To Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper
really- anything Cyndi
- 5. In Your Eyes by Peter Gabriel
Who can ever forget the sight of John Cuzack standing outside holding up the boombox?
- 4. If You Leave by OMD
Gotta Love all things John Hughes
- 3. Pictures Of You by The Cure
The Cure are the best band ever. My favorite song from them changes from time to time, but Just like Heaven is right there too
- 2. Bizarre Love Triangle by New Order
It took me twenty years to find out the name of this song and who sang it
- 1. Melt With You by Modern English
Like totally the best song, eva. Did you not root for Nicholas Cage to get the like totally hot chick in Valley Girl?
There are so many songs, so little time. The clothes and dos were awful, but give me 80s music any day
- 10. Walking On Sunshine - Katrina & The Waves by George Michael
- 9. The Power Of Love - Huey Lewis & The News by Bon Jovi
- 8. Dance Hall Days - Wang Chung by Def Leppard
- 7. Heaven - Bryan Adams by Bryan Adams
- 6. Money For Nothing - Dire Straits by Prince
- 5. Kyrie - Mr Mister by New Order
- 4. (Don't You) Forget About Me - Simple Minds by Heart
- 3. Faith - George Michael by Duran Duran
- 2. Every Breath You Take - The Police by Guns 'N Roses
- 1. Take On Me - A-ha by The Police
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.