In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
- 10. Tainted Love by Soft Cell
Funky 80 tunes makes this beat rock
- 9. Heaven by Bryan Adams
I was eleven and cried like a baby when broke up with my girlfriend, A classic.
- 8. Witney Houston by Witney Houston
Almost all of her song, the queen of the 80s
- 7. Somewere out there by From the movie
- 6. Take on me by A-ha
- 5. Frankie Goes to hollywood by Relax
- 4. Bellerina girl by Lionel Richie
The memories of the brown eyed girl
- 3. send me an angel by Real life
BMX Movie song
- 2. dancing in the dark by The boss
- 1. Your the greatest by Dennis Kjellin
By: james hook
and lets not forget about: how soon is now-the smiths,alex chilton-the replacements(or for that matter anything by the replacements!!!)bizarre love triangle-new order, rockville-r.e.m, tempted-squeeze,unskinny bop-poison(just seeing if you were paying attention), and ball and chain-social distortion
By: Nick Johnson
- 10. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For by U2 (1987)
- 9. West End Girls by Pet Shop Boys (1986)
- 8. Red Skies At Night by The Fixx (1987)
- 7. Your Love by The Outfield (1986)
- 6. In A Big Country by Big Country (1983)
- 5. Rock The Casbah by The Clash (1982)
- 4. Let's Dance by David Bowie (1983)
- 3. Live To Tell by Madonna (1986)
- 2. With Or Without You by U2 (1987)
- 1. Every Breath You Take by The Police (1983)
I love all these songs from the bottom of my heart. The 80's Ruled.
By: Marty Hogan
- 10. Relax! by Frankie Goes to Hollywood
Don't do it!!
- 9. Too Shy by Kajagoogoo
The band's name says it all!
- 8. In A Big Coutry by Big Country
Love those bagpipes!!
- 7. Just Like Heaven by The Cure
Show Me, Show ME, SHOW ME!!
- 6. Saved By Zero by The Fixx
Classic mood song
- 5. Strangelove by Depeche Mode
Come on now, all these lists and no Mode???
- 4. Silent Morning by Noel
Another MIA from your lists
- 3. Tenderness by General Public
This song got me into the "New Wave" 80's mentality that is still with me today!
- 2. Living in Oblivion by Anything Box
I searched your lists and couldn't believe this one wasn't there!
- 1. Bizarre Love Triangle by New Order
Best, Best!, BEST!!!
I could list about 100 more songs that were true 80's classics, not the radio overplayed "pop" that is listed on the first lists that you have. I'm not being mean, but you guys have left out some really good songs that if they were re-released today would still make the charts. (ie. ORGY - Blue Monday (New Order remake!)) Honorable mentions to : Erasure, Naked Eyes, Oingo Boingo, Peter Schilling, Paul Hardcastle, Motels, Waitresses, etc....
By: Jocke J
- 10. Maria Magdalena by Sandra
Beatiful song by sandra
- 9. Give It Up by KC & The Sunshine Band
You just can't stand still when this comes up
- 8. Venus/I Can't Help It/Cruel Summer by Bananarama
3 equally good songs by the girl group
- 7. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun by Cindy Lauper
Girl Power - NOT, great danceable tune though
- 6. Touch Me by Samantha Fox
Yeah baby, please!
- 5. Love and Pride by Paul King
A catchy little tune by the former VJ on MTV Europe - Paul King
- 4. Look Of Love by ABC
That's the look That's the look -- the look of looooove
- 3. Dolce Vita by Ryan Paris
Makes you think of a summer party by the beach
- 2. Boys (Summertime Love) by Sabrina
The Queen of Summer Dance in this song you just can't dislike
- 1. You Spin Me Around by Dead or Alive
A Great dance tune with a catchy chorus
Theese are my favourite Disco Songs from the 80's
By: Yoni Doron
- 10. Come Back And Stay by Paul Young
- 9. You're In The Army Now by Status Quo
- 8. I Like Chopin by Gazebo
A really special one for me.
- 7. Running In The Family/Lessons In Love by Level 42
Another one of my favourite bands.
- 6. Too Shy by Kajagoogoo
- 5. Africa by Toto
- 4. Shattered Dreams by Johnny Hates Jazz
- 3. We Close Our Eyes by Go West
- 2. True/Gold by Spandau Ballet
one of my favourite bands. also great songs by them: "only when you leave", "i'll fly for you".
- 1. Sara/We Built This City by Starship
it's very strange to me that this band isn't popular among the lists. These are the best 2 songs by them, especially Sara.
It was a very tough decision for me, between the songs I mentioned and: A-ha - Take on me, Dexy's Midnight Runners - Come On Eileen, Hall & Oates - Maneater, Kylie Minogue & Jason Donovan - Especially For You, Mr. Mister - Kyrie, Sade - Smooth Operator, Soft Cell - Tainted Love, Tears For Fears - Shout/Everybody Wants To Rule The World/Sowing The Seeds Of Love
By: Mike Abenoja
- 10. We Built This City by Starship
I can't help but smile when I hear this song. It's too 80's.
- 9. Turning Japanese by The Vapors
My Japanese friend hates this song, and I think that's why I like it.
- 8. Eternal Flame by The Bangles
My sister got me hooked on this song.
- 7. Bon Jovi by Livin' On A Prayer
You can't help but "whoa-o" with this song
- 6. Everybody Wants To Rule The World by Tears For Fears
Off the hook!!!
- 5. Groovy Kind Of Love by Phil Collins
I want this song to be played at my wedding.
- 4. I'll Melt With You by Modern English
How can you not like this song?
- 3. You're The Best Around by theme from the Karate Kid
If this song doesn't pump you up, I don't know what will.
- 2. Need You Tonight by INXS
This is where that imaginary sexy lady tries signaling me.
- 1. Ah Ha by Take On Me
Nothing like trying to reach the high note while driving.
There are too many songs by too many artists to mention. The 80's was too fun. Freakin' awesome!
By: RioMode7/Denise Coquia (I was born in the 80s!)
- 10. Enjoy the Silence/Blasphemous Rumours by Depeche Mode
Couldn't choose between the two, both are great. Even though "Enjoy the Silence was a 90s song.
- 9. Just Can't Get Enough by Depeche Mode
My second most favorite band. In my opinion, they single-handedly gave birth to modern electronic music.
- 8. Boys Don't Cry by The Cure
It's just a fun, fun song, isn't it? I saw them on their Bloodflowers tour.
- 7. Don't You Want Me by The Human League
Wonderfully artistic video. Total euro.
- 6. Obsession by Animotion
It's one of those songs where you have to dance like you're walking down the runway...
- 5. I Ran by A Flock of Seagulls
Another song I think of when I think "80s"
- 4. Get Into The Groove/True by Madonna/Spandau Ballet
"Desperately Seeking Susan" isn't the best movie, but the song will suffice. / I couldn't choose, so I just dropped "True" in there. Beautifully sentimental song.
- 3. Hungry Like The Wolf by Duran Duran
Simon LeBon is gorgeous. Nick Rhodes is gorgeous. John Taylor is gorgeous. I don't care if they're 40. I saw them September 2, 1999 then on September 3, 2000.
- 2. Rio by Duran Duran
I would have liked to say that they should be #1, because they're my favorite band ever, but 2 isn't bad. They always play "Rio" at the end of each set, so it has to come before "HLTW" and they revolutionized music videos.
- 1. Take On Me by A-Ha
Whenever I think 80s, I think of the awesome synth riff!
These songs aren't necessarily my top ten favorite songs; for me to do that would literally take ages. But all of them are among my favorites in general. I could have very well made this whole list Duran Duran, Depeche Mode, and The Cure. But rather these are just the songs that I thought just said "80s".
Many songs I thought I liked back then, haven't held up. These have stayed with me. Some haunt me-- since the 80s was my childhood. They are not in any order. Great songs compel us to sing along.
By: Joanne T
I would also like to mention that i was actually born in the 80s but absoulutely love the beat and sounds of the 80s! Some of these songs I can recall hearing them whilsts in primary school! But i would also like to mention other few hits that were forgotten by other people! 10- Sabrina, Boys Boys Boys (Summertime Love) 9- Richard Marx - Endless Summer Nights 8- Paula Abdul - Straight Up 7- Sheena Easten - What comes Naturally 6- Kenny Logins - Dangerzone 5- Delite - Groove is in the Heart 4- Bangles - Walk Like An Egyptian 3- Icehouse - Electric Blue 2- Giorgio Moroder & Philip Oakey - Together In Electric Dreams 1- Madonna - Material Girl
By: Fritz Gato
- 10. Them by King Diamond
Heard this record along with an interview on ZRock working construction under the Nevada sun. It still made my blood run cold.
- 9. Chanting of the Priest by Venom
What can I say? Church just ain't what it used to be.
- 8. Mean Man by WASP
How was I supposed to know they were a glam band...
- 7. Necrophiliac by Slayer
These guys took the ball from Judas Priest and Iron Maiden and ran with it, baby... :)
- 6. Stone Cold Sober by Thin Lizzy
The best rock band ever even if they did start in the '70s. Phil Lynnot is God.
- 5. Trapped Under Ice by Metallica
NAPSTA FOREVER!!! Metallica's music died with Cliff Burton in Sweden. They just don't know it yet. Losers now, one and all, but this song rocks.
- 4. Circle of the Tyrants by Celtic Frost
- 3. The Claw by Motorhead
Any song about the horizontal dance is ok by me.
- 2. Let it Go by Def Leppard
Just like every other band, they kicked more @$$ before they got famous.
- 1. Breaking the Law by Judas Priest
If this song didn't make you drop out and start growing your hair out, you at least considered it...
Ok, the rest of the lists here are all heavy in pop and bubblegum. I'll admit I even like some of it, but we needed some salt here.
By: Jimmy N
- 10. Paradise by the dashboard light/ Bat out of hell by Meat Loaf/ Meat Loaf
What can i say, rock , new wave, alternative, alien ...whatever you want to call it all sounds great to me, except rap! Even when blondie sang it, it sucked! haha
- 9. Temptation/ Blue Monday by New Order/ New Order
- 8. I Melt With You/ Destination Unknown by Modern English/ Missing Persons
- 7. Dancing in Heaven/ Blue Monday by Q-Feel/ New Order
Who didnt listen to this? Even the metaler's were closet Q-Feeling!
- 6. Nowhere Girl/Love My Way/ Enola Gay by B-Movie/Psychedelic Furs / OMD
New Wave was great, even now that's it's old wave.
- 5. Bad Touch (Let's do it like the discovery channel) by Bloodhound Gang
The best song they have ! Great tune.
- 4. Big in Japan/ The Great Commandment by Alphaville/ Camouflage
What can I say...just another awesome song..actually all of these are my number 1's.
- 3. Twilight Zone by Golden Earring
Makes you bob your head ! Just stay away from the wall ok? haha
- 2. Dis-Moi, Dis-Moi by Mitsou
This is more like a dance song but it's just awesome! Unfortunately it's in french so didnt get much airtime in the states.
- 1. I know there's something going on by Frida
A powerful song. The beat and rythm is just perfectly right for her voice.
Too many to list in just 10 songs!
more songs 5.-Jesus jones- Right here , right now 4.-Simply red- Stars 3.-Pixis-where is my mind 2.- Poul young - everytime you go away 1.-Guns n' Roses- Welcome tothe Jungle
- 10. The Flame by Cheap Trick
- 9. I Don't Wanna Live Without Your Love by Chicago
- 8. Right Here Waiting by Richard Marx
- 7. Angel by Aerosmith
- 6. Bed Of Roses by Bon Jovi
- 5. I Get Weak by Belinda Carlisle
- 4. The Promise by When In Rome
- 3. Roxette by It Must Have Been Love
- 2. Look Away by Chicago
After my very first girlfriend dumped me, we remained on talking terms. She called me and told me all about her new guy. I hung up, turned on the radio and they played a new hit song by the band Chicago. Once I heard the very first line, I broke down in tears and have been a fan of theirs ever since.
- 1. Every Rose Has It's Thorn by Poison
I couldn't believe my eyes when not a single list had this song on it, but oh well. To this date, my all time favorite song ever made.
Notable Mentions: Heart (God I was so in love with these foxy ladies), Firehouse, Cinderella, Whitesnake, Skid Row, Def Leppard
- 10. Don't Stop The Music by YARBROUGH & PEOPLES
Another one I didn't know for years. Sooooo good but I always thought it was spoilt a little with the sqeaky vocal effect near the end.
- 9. The House That Jack Built by JACK 'N' CHILL
Late 80's dance choon which still sounds fresh now. Creative and vibrant, unlike much of today's bland dance.
- 8. Dancing Girls by NICK KERSHAW
Really fresh sound. Well produced. Why have I NEVER seen this video? VH-1 just plays the same old tired videos over and over. Wake up !
- 7. Martha's Harbour by ALL ABOUT EVE
Such a beautiful track all round. Light, airy, and the vocals are exquisite. They had a number of great tracks but this one stood out for me.
- 6. Owner Of A Lonely Heart by YES
Another cracker. First remember it in my early youth when it was used as part of a DJ's jingle / theme. Why don't they make this stuff anymore ?
- 5. Change Your Mind by BILL SHARPE & GARY NUMAN
Two synth boys create a something that I think is a forgotten gem of the 80's but was a classic to those with taste.
- 4. You've Got The Power by WIN
Used on a beer ad if I remember rightly. The energy from this choon is collosal.
- 3. Cacharpaya by INCANTATION
Incredible track which I couldn't find a copy of for years.
- 2. Party Fears Two by THE ASSOCIATES
Billy Mackenzie vocals laid on a musical platform of sheer quality. Like #1, true test of a track is if you never become tired of it.
- 1. Hey Little Girl by ICEHOUSE
Wow ! Never knew what this tune was for years but had it swimming round my head, until I found the 12" single of it. Perfection. Never bored of it.
The best tracks always seemed to me to be the ones that were sort of 'one-offs' or one-hit wonders. I think why they are still popular with me is that they haven't been played to death by VH-1 like all the other mainstream artists. It's also interesting that I only know the videos of a couple of my chosen tracks ! The 80's were pop's greatest time for me, the 70's were best for rock / metal, and the 90's were best for, well, very little. Best year of the 80's - had to be 1988...
By: Paul F.
- 10. One More Night by Phil Collins
This song has so many memories to me in such a time of change...so soothing...so urging in attempt to sing!
- 9. If This Is It by Huey Lewis
I( just liked the flow of this song, and the vocals were high-reaching.
- 8. Things Can Only Get Better by Howard Jones
I played this song in my earliest of high school years to flee from being down. Had an obscure intensity to it.
- 7. Total Eclipse Of The Heart by Bonnie Tyler
An extraordinary ballad.
- 6. Time After Time by Cyndi Lauper
I remember just starting to become a wrestling fan when this song came out!
- 5. The War Song by Culture Club
Love the instrumentation and chorus!
- 4. Sledgehammer by Peter Gabriel
A real "whacky, hammery" touch to a different '80s style!
- 3. One More Try by George Michael
Soothing, spacing, a song that makes you feel...
- 2. Invisible Touch by Genesis
Upbeat, uplifting, and energizing!
- 1. I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues by Elton John
My favorite Elton song of all time; my favorite '80s song, as I was just entering junior high school.
In Neon by Elton John was a more obscure '80s tune that lives with me until this day. It peaked at #34 (I think) on the top 40 for a couple weeks. Until this day, it's hard to find in a Live bootleg album.
- 10. Broken Wings by Mr. Mister
Powerful lyrics and a cool beat makes this song a great hit.
- 9. Down Under by Men at Work
Just a neat, different sounding song. Love the use of flute.
- 8. So Lonely (live) by The Police
This song live is much better than the original studio version. I love the guitar solo in it!
- 7. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For by U2
The Joshua Tree Album is one of the best of the past 20 years. This song takes gospel and makes a powerful love statement.
- 6. Jump! by Van Halen
Power song that just simply rocks! Keeps you jumping!
- 5. Living on a Prayer by Bon Jovi
Great chorus that just makes you want to jump up and down!
- 4. Every Little Thing She Does is Magic by The Police
Such a beautiful love song....
- 3. Summer of '69 by Bryan Adams
This song simply rocks...still sounds great today!
- 2. With or Without You by U2
Best song by my second favorite group! I love how it starts with the bassline and then builds from there with the Edge on guitar.
- 1. Every Breath You Take by The Police
My favorite band of the 80's, the Police just had a unique sound that I love. The guitar riff in this song is fantastic!
I am a 22 year old college senior right now who loves 80's music. The current music scene is such trash with only pop, hard rock, and rap. What ever happened to great songwriting and powerful messages? I think it is a shame that my generation has such pitiful music. Long live the 80's!
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.