In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
By: Jackie Beal
- 10. The Way that You love me by Paula Abdul
A great song. Not to mention she made two videos for it that were both amazing!
- 9. All this time by Tiffany
Cheesy but affective! Great vocals!
- 8. Black Cat by Janet Jackson
A slammin song! The best on Rythym Nation 1814!
- 7. Knockin Boots by Candyman
A great feel good song. Featured that cool hook, "Ohh Boy I love you so...."!
- 6. Cold Hearted by Paula Abdul
First time Paula revealed her sexy side. Radio version also featured a very cool rap!
- 5. Where do broken Hearts go? by Whitney Houston
Whtiney's best ballad to date!
- 4. Opposites Attract by Paula Abdul
One of the funest songs of the decade! Not to mention the amazing video!
- 3. Mickey by Toni Basil
Just a good fun song!
- 2. Madonna by Get into the Groove
One of Madonna's best of the 1980s. Out of all her music this one is the one to dance to!
- 1. Straight Up by Paula Abdul
The song that broke this super star in and made her one of pop music's biggest star. Still holds up today!
- 10. Welcome To The Jungle by Guns 'N Roses
With Jim Carrey lip syncin' to it in the movie "Dead Pool", this song brought fame to this band. Not one of my favorites, but one of the best songs they have ever done.
- 9. The Chair by George Strait
A great love song about how a man tries to be cool and talks to a woman. One of George's greatest songs
- 8. Welcome Home Sanitarium by Metallica
From the best album they put out, the melody change in this song is perfect. Going from calm and soft to lound and hard. The perfect change in the mind of a mad man.
- 7. I Remember You by Skid Row
This song has a special meaning behind it for me. And every time I hear it, it bring back memories of a special time in my life.
- 6. Take On Me by A-Ha
The video is what capture me to this song. A comic strip coming to life with that haunting piano piece in the middle. Not bad for a Danish band.
- 5. The Dance by Garth Brooks
Maybe it is a little close to the 90's or even in the nineties, I can't remember. But I do like this song, again for the memories it brings back. Of the chances we have taken.
- 4. Forever Young by Alphaville
This song make my top five list due to the fact is a song that reminds me of my high school days. A lot of great friends I left behind, and wish I can just see them once again.
- 3. Obsession by Animotion
Don't know what it is about this song, but I just can not get sick of it. The synthesizer in the beginning is addictive.
- 2. You Give Love A Bad Name` by Bon Jovi
Without the boys from New Jersey hitting it big with this song, I don't belive that the glam pop or hair bands whould have ever made it big at all.
- 1. Every Rose Has Its Thorn by Poison
Perhaps the best power ballad ever written. This song opened the door to alot of other glam bands to make it big with their ballads
There are alot of other great songs to mention. Perhaps if there was a top 500 list somewhere, I could fit them all in.
- 10. Fly by Night by Ian Anderson
Great song from former Jethro Tull!!!
- 9. We are detective by Thompson Twins
Yes! I like that!
- 8. Video by Jeff Lynne
Best of Jeff Lynne after Electric Light Orchestra!!!
- 7. I Dont Go To USA by TRIO
Its NEW WAVE! NEW WAVE! NEW WAVE!!!
- 6. Summer in Berlin by Alphaville
Great song from Germany!!!
- 5. London Town by Bucks Fizz
I like Bucks Fizz...
- 4. Never Never Comes by Classix Nouveaux
Best of CN (Sal Solo)! Its New Romantic style!!!
- 3. The Day Before You Came by Blancmange
Great song from ABBA, but i like this version from (1984)!!!
- 2. Love Detonator by Jona Lewie
Yes, you now Jona Lewie (John Lewis!), you now Stop the Cavalry (one of best Christmas Song!), but you never have heard that song!!!!!
- 1. Told You So by Depeche Mode
Depeche Mode is my favorite band from 80's.(1983)
80's - best years for NEW ROMANTICs, for NEW WAVE!!!
By: Cesar CG
Great mention for Icehouse(Electric blue), Bon Jovi(Living on a prayer), Culture Club(It's a miracle), Rick Sprinfield(Don't talk to strangers), Kenny Loggins(Danger zone), Starship(Sara, We built this city), Cheap Trick( The Flame), Crowded House(Don't dream it's over), Michael Sembrello(Maniac), Robert Palmer(Addicted to love), Human League(Human), Madonna(Material Girl), The Clash(Rock the casbah), Wang Chung(Everybody have fun tonight).
By: *Melanie MacLeod
- 10. Any song by Culture Club
Back in 1983 when I was in the first grade, my mother bought me a Boy George T-Shirt because I was soooooo in love with him back then. I wore it to school and walked up to my first grade teacher and said,"See this guy on my T-Shirt?." She said,"Yes." I said,"Well, I'm going to marry him." She totally freaked out and I went back to my seat totally confused. I think I understand why she freaked out now.
- 9. Subdivisions by Rush
Rush was my dad's favourite band. I don't know how many times he saw them in concert. This one's for Dad. Miss Ya, Big Fart!!!!!
- 8. Rock Of Ages by Def Leppard
My mother practically raised me on Def Leppard. I got a cool mom.
- 7. Romantic Traffic by Spoons
BLOOR SUBWAY STATION!!!!!!!!!!!!
- 6. Turn Me Loose by Loverboy
Wow. I'm getting old.
- 5. Don't You Forget About Me by Simple Minds
My Favourite Movie!!!!!!!!!
- 4. Don't You Want Me? by Human League
don't you want me baby? don't you want me, ohhhhhhhhhhhh
- 3. I Ran by A Flock Of Seagulls
This song makes me want to get up and dance every single time I hear it.
- 2. Forever Young by Alphaville
What can I say? I'm in love with this song.
- 1. Total Eclipse Of The Heart by Bonnie Tyler
I think this song is more popular now than it was back then.
Honourable mentions:Phil Collins-Against All Odds, Laura Branigan-Self Control, Martha and the Muffins-Echo Beach(my mother said I knew all the words when this song came out and I'd sing it all the time. She said it cracked people up. Ummm, I don't remember that, though. Midnight Oil-Beds Are Burning. There are soooooo many others like everyone else has said. This site is GREAT!!!!!!!! I've been looking for an 80's site for so long. This site TOTALLY ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By: Rob Brown
- 10. Beat it! by Michael Jackson
How can we not like the song that lifted Michael into superstar status?
- 9. Welcome to the Jungle by Guns and Roses
Just thinking about the song makes my head bang!
- 8. This one goes out to the one I love by REM
This song came out right when we were moving and I had to break up with my high school girl friend. Still reminds me of her...
- 7. One Night in Bangkok by Murry Head
What a song huh?!?!?
- 6. Rock Me Amadeus by The Falco
- 5. Shot through the Heart by Bon Jovi
- 4. Like a Virgin by Madonna
The song that made every 13 years old love her....
- 3. Don't be Cruel by Bobby Brown
Remember how awesome he used to be?
- 2. Do you want to live forever by Alphaville
- 1. Send me an Angel by Real Life
By: Tonya Oyala
- 10. Der Komissar by After the Fire
dont turn around.. oh oh
- 9. Big Time by Peter Gabriel
- 8. Modern Love by David Bowie
david bowie rulesish!
- 7. White Wedding by Billy Idol
its a nice day for a white wedding
- 6. Rock the Casbah by The Clash
I could listen to this song for hours straight and never ever get tired of it.
- 5. West End Girls by Pet Shop Boys
- 4. The Reflex by Duran Duran
This and song #5 on my list are the best dancing songs ever! EVER!
- 3. Sunday Bloody Sunday by U2
This is only one of the tons of great U2 songs. U2 and duran duran were most deffinetly the best groups of the 80s.
- 2. Once In A Lifetime by Talking Heads
Can you get more better lyrics then this?
- 1. Raspberry Beret by Prince
Well, this isnt the most popular song in the world and it seems like im the only one who likes it but i have to put it anyways.
80S RULES AND I AM THE ONLY PERSON IN Hawaii who TRULY appreciates them! (no not really) but can we please get an 80s station in hawaii!
- 10. Start Me Up by The Rolling Stones
A big guitar riff, sexual metaphors...another Stones classic.
- 9. You Can Call Me Al by Paul Simon
This song encompasses every style of music you can think of: folk, rock, synth-pop, African, poetic, funk...
- 8. Jump by Van Halen
Ranks along side "Won't Get Fooled Again" as one of the best and most recognizable synth-rock songs of all time.
- 7. In Your Eyes by Peter Gabriel
I can't think of a more romantic song. Watch Say Anything... and you'll see.
- 6. Every Breath You Take by The Police
One of the most misunderstood songs of all time. IT'S NOT A LOVE SONG!
- 5. Androgynous by The Replacements
Very simple, but its lyrics combined with its swaggering pace make it brilliant.
- 4. Man Out of Time by Elvis Costello
Beautifully written and arranged. Very Brian Wilson-esque.
- 3. Sweet Child o' Mine by Guns 'n' Roses
These guys brought good old sleeze rock to the mainstream in a time when hair metal ruled.
- 2. Dancing in the Dark by Bruce Springsteen
A different direction for the Boss, but it's a perfect teenage anthem.
- 1. Can't Hardly Wait by The Replacements
One of the most diverse and touching songs Westerberg ever wrote
- 10. Our Lips Are Sealed by the Go-Gos
they were not hot.... there lips were not sealed when the record producers came around in the late 80's...
- 9. Too Shy by Kajagoogoo
(this song sucks, but i had to put it)
- 8. Enjoy the Silence by Depeche Mode
- 7. Our House by Madness
- 6. Ashes to Ashes by David Bowie
- 5. Rudy Can't Fail by The Clash
- 4. Where is My Mind? by The Pixies
- 3. Tenderness by General Public
- 2. Bad by U2
- 1. I Confess by The English Beat
These are the best songs in the world!!!
- 10. close to me by the cure
i've waited hors for this i've made myself so sick i wish i'd stayed asleep today
- 9. before too long by paul kelly and the coloured girls
before too long the one that you're lovin' will wish that he never met you
- 8. under the milky way by the church
i think about the loveless facination under the milky way tonight
- 7. tainted love by soft cell
sometimes i feel i've got to run away i've go to get away from the apin you drive into the heart of me...
- 6. More than this by Roxy Music
- 5. china girl by David Bowie
and when i get excited, my little china girls she says "Oh baby just you shut your mouth!"
- 4. How soon is now? by The Smiths
you shut your mouth, how can oyu say i go about things the wrong way...i am human and i need to be loved just like verybody else does
- 3. lovecats by the cure
meow meow (in the video clip to this song the cure had told a real estate agency that they were interested in buying the house so they gave them the key to look it over, they shot the video then gave the key back and said they'd changed their minds....tee hee hee)
- 2. throw your arms around me by crowded house
and we may never meet again so shed your skin and let's get started
- 1. True by Spandau Ballet
i know this much i truuuuuue ha ha ha haaaaaaaa
go the eighties
- 10. Master and Servant by Depeche Mode
Sweet, but aggressive....full of conflicts of emotion, just like most of the great artists of the 80s.
- 9. Tainted Love by Soft Cell
Excellent cover.....very 80s.
- 8. Our lips are sealed by Go Go's
This song has this great break of angel voices. Definitely one of the great girl bands!
- 7. In my darkest hour by Megadeth
The eighties had it's dark sides...
- 6. View to a kill by Duran Duran
No 80s list is complete without them...
- 5. Manhattan Skyline by A-ha
They brought back that viking touch to things.
- 4. Village Girl by Hanoi Rocks
An irresistably peculiar Finnish band. This, however, is the one _great_ song of all their work.
- 3. How soon is now by the Smiths
One of two great guitarrists in the 80s. And perhaps the best song writer, the best poet, of the decade.
- 2. Love will tear us apart by Joy Division
The best tormented voice to reach the 80s. Yes, that's right, Morrissey can go hang (out in the kitchen).
- 1. Sweet Child O'Mine by Guns n'Roses
Well, this is the perfect rock song. Unfortunately, songs of this calibre comes around once a decade.
I honestly think that a great portion of all the great pop songs were written in the 80s. I love the kitch. It made people dare doing things. Sure, there were some really sad instances of tastlessness with no style at all (taylor Dayne, Howard jones, Jason donovan) but some people really pulled it off.
By: Andrew Scott
- 10. Etherything i do i do it for you by Bryan Adams
- 9. Blockbuster! by Sweet
- 8. Tiger Feet by MUD
- 7. relax! by Frankie goes to hollywood
- 6. Billie jean by Michael Jackson
- 5. Waterloo by Abba
- 4. Bohimien Rapsody by Queen
It is a classic and it was their first no1. hit.
- 3. Dont stop me now by Queen
Its just SIMPLEY THE BEST.
- 2. Axel F by Harold Faltimire
This tune is onthe famous films beverly hills cop 1 2 and three.
- 1. Gold by Spandeau Ballet
I just love it it is brilliant.
By: Emma Stanley
- 10. Do you really want to hurt me by Culture Club
- 9. Careless Whisper by George Michael
- 8. View to A Kill by Duran Duran
- 7. Wherever I Lay My Hat by Paul Young
- 6. What is Love by Howard Jones
- 5. Only When You Leave by Spandau Ballet
This was the best song they recorded
- 4. Relax by Frankie Goes To Hollywood
- 3. Take On Me by A-HA
This is so much better than the new version by some 90s band
- 2. Come on Eileen by Dexys Midnight Runners
- 1. You drive me crazy by Shakin Stevens
I don't care what anyone says, Shaky is no. 1
I love the 80s. My only regret is that I was born in '85, so I missed half of the fun!
By: Marc Byron
Great songs of unforgettable decade.
By: Glen Serniuk
- 10. Arctic Summer by B Movie
One of the most underated bands of the eighties. Wished that they had toured my area when I was younger.
- 9. 10 000 Voices by Zerra One
Great song with a little U2 influence. I remember fooling friends into thinking that it was U2.
- 8. Waves by Blancmange
Just a good song...
- 7. Love Vigilante by New Order
A fabulous song by a band whose majority of fans don't know about... Give it a listen
- 6. A month of Sundays by The Church
Not sure why they have discontinued the production of this album. One of the Church's best release.
- 5. Angela by Vitamin Z
Great song by another great band. Wish I could have that song in Digital format.
- 4. Windpower by Thomas Dolby
Great album full of hits. This is just the pick of the litter, but it could have been many others
- 3. In Between Days by The Cure
Saw them in Concert, and it was one of the best shows Ii went to. Reminds me of a great High school dance I was at.
- 2. Whisper to a scream by Icicle works
I was a late bloomer on this band/song, but it has sure stuck with me for many years.
- 1. Feels like Heaven by Fiction Factory
Must have listened to it a million times, and bought the CD just two years ago while in London. Fantastic two albums by this group. I would love to get the second one (Another Story), but I doubt that they are printing this anymore.
Not really in order, but certainly the "top" in my top 10...
By: Kenneth Vassar
- 10. Left of Center by Suzanne Vega
Just when I thought "Luka" was the paramount of her career...
- 9. Everbody Wants to Rule the World by Tears for Fears
Loved it even more when it was featured in a promo for "Dynasty"
- 8. 99 Luftballons by Nena
Well, any song that can add "Captain Kirk" to its lyrics can't be all bad.
- 7. Electric Blue by Icehouse
Went to hell and back to find this single after hearing it only once on the radio a couple of years after its release.
- 6. Whip It by Devo
My first experience to the weirdness that is techno.
- 5. Kyrie by Mr. Mister
- 4. Cars by Gary Numan
Even better without the lyrics.
- 3. Take on Me/The Sun Always Shines on TV by a-ha
Can't hear either one of these songs without the other.
- 2. New Song/What Is Love/Everlasting Love by Howard Jones
Once I heard "New Song", Howard Jones became a personal favorite.
- 1. Erotic City by Prince
My guiltiest of pleasures.
All of these songs I heard incessantly during in the '80's while serving my time in the Army. Dancing gleefully and gaily to these tunes (as much as I wanted) seemly wasn't done.
- 10. love song by the cure
Fav band of all time great lyricsand cool video inside a cave
- 9. pleasure and pain by divinyls
another aussie band that came and conqueored than disappeared. Oh, well
- 8. sex (im a.....) by berlin
Great lyrics straight to the sexual point terri nunn great lead singer
- 7. beat it by michael jackson
great solo by eddievan halen and awesome dancing by mr jackson
- 6. like a prayer by Madonna
What can I say shocking video for that time and she's sexy in it to boot...Hail Madonna shock rocker
- 5. catch me im falling by pretty poison
great dance song one hit wonder .Stilllike it to this day...
- 4. round and round by ratt
Ratt n roll what can isay??
- 3. depeche mode by strange love
cool song from a cool band who i saw in concert
- 2. sex by kix
best live band ever and steve whiteman has a new band funny money who sounds like kix
- 1. still of the night by Whitesnake
Awesome metal song,straight to the point .By far the best guitar solo of the 80s..plus dave coverdale wa lookig sweet and so was tawny his then girlfriend
As far as 90s I like shirley manson(singer but still listen to the 80s which my opinion still kick the 90s butt all over creation....Peace and b. wild
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.