In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
By: Kyle Maxwell
- 10. Appetite by Prefab Sprout
Very mellow, but very moving.
- 9. Spy In The House Of Love by The db's
Funky, cool, and much better than all the other songs of the same name.
- 8. Dead Man's Party by Oingo Boingo
Sure, Boingo had better songs, but none summed up the 80's Experience quite so well.
- 7. Stabilizers by Tyranny
The theme song for Angry Young Men everywhere.
- 6. Positively Lost Me by Rave-Ups
Another new wave classic- if you were listening to Huey Lewis in the 80's instead of songs like this, you need to be slapped. Hard.
- 5. She's A Beauty by The Tubes
It took me ten years to finally realize what this song is REALLY talking about.
- 4. Rain by Dragon
Okay, if you haven't heard this song, get on Napster and FIND IT. It's the quintessential mid-80's new wave song.
- 3. Split Endz by Six Months In A Leaky Boat
I'd hate to think that I'm the only person that remembers these song. Yes, "Forever Young" was great, but somebody has to keep the Post Modern flame alive.
- 2. Peter Gabriel by I Don't Remember, I Don't Recall
Remember back before Peter Gabriel sold his soul to the Pop Music gods? This was probably his last truely great song.
- 1. Swamp Thing by Chameleons UK
This just might be the best song of ANY decade. Sadly, now it's regulated to Goth Night at your local dance club, for reasons that elude me. When they sing "Another revolutionary falls from grace" it ALWAYS gives me chills.
My friends, we cannot allow the world to believe that the music of the 80's consisted solely of Cindy Lauper and "Whip It" by Devo. The mid 80's was the most incredible moment in music ever. Let us not forget music like: Euphoric Trapdoor Shoes - Plasticland Pretending To Be Drunk - Sparks Left Of Center - Suzanne Vega Visage - Fade To Grey Furor - Doot Doot Thompson Twins - Roll Over Again Romeo Void - A Girl In Trouble And a thousand others who equally deserve to be named.
- 10. Relax by Frankie Goes To Hollywood
- 9. You Spin Me Right Round by has been remade by various artists
Ahhh. Gotta love this one.
- 8. Mirror in the Bathroom by English Beat
The words alone are enough to intrigue anyone.
- 7. Karma Chameleon by Boy George/ Culture Club
Not a Culture Club person but can't forget this song.
- 6. Rio by Duran Duran
- 5. Rock Me Amadeus by Falco
What a subject for a song!
- 4. Trust You by Mesh
WOW! I hadn't even heard this song til someone recommended it to me via Napster. Love it.
- 3. Bizarre Love Triangle, True Faith, Shellshock by New Order
When you listen to "True Faith" too much it gets on your nerves. "Bizarre Love Triangle" is pretty awesome!! Also, "Shellshock" is great as well.
- 2. People Are People by Depeche Mode
No comment needed. This song is great.
- 1. What's On Your Mind by Information Society
The very best from a totally undervalued, totally awesome group.
I'm a big New Wave fan so that figures heavily here. Mail me if you want to trade New Wave MP3s on Napster, I'd love to!
- 10. STRAY CAT STRUT by STRAY CATS
PICTURE YOUR SELF DOING A SLEAZY ICE SKATING ROUTINE TO THIS SONG....
- 9. YOU'RE THE INSPIRATION by CHIGAGO
YOU GET THE PICTURE....
- 8. HARD HABIT TO BREAK by CHICAGO
- 7. WILL YOU STILL LOVE ME by CHICAGO
- 6. HEART AND SOUL by T'PAU
- 5. ROSANNA by TOTO
LOVE IT STILL....
- 4. CENTERFOLD by J GIELS BAND
GET ON A TABLE AND JUST SHAKE YOUR HEAD,,,NA NA NA NA NA NA..NA NA NA..
- 3. TOTAL ECLISPE OF THE HEART by BONNIE TYLER
- 2. BILLIE JEAN by MICHAEL JACKSON
DANCE, DANCE, DANCE
- 1. THESE DREAMS by HEART
THIS SONG GIVES ME GOOSE BUMPS EVERYTIME I HEAR IT
I ALSO LIKE, WEST END GIRLS, GLORIA, ALL PHIL COLLINS AND ANY SONG FROM THE BILLBOARD TO TEN (1981 - 1989).....
By: Jack Gibbons
- 10. Wind me up by MR BIG
Amazing rock song - have the video
- 9. Sweet Child o mine by Guns n Roses
Solo's, riffs, hairspray, cowboy boots - lovely
- 8. Tumeni Notes by Steve Morse
No singing just loads- a - notes - Yngwie style
- 7. Bad Love by Eric Clapton
This song has a great chorus - He's done something great in every decade since the sixties
- 6. I am the ressurection by Stone Roses
John Squire in his prime
- 5. Jump by Van Halen
One of the greatest riffs of all time
- 4. Why can't this be love by Van Halen
This song is played every day at my gaff
- 3. you give love a bad name by Bon Jovi
I've loved this song since I was a nipper
- 2. Paradise City by Guns n Roses
Rock epic - one of their best
- 1. The Final Countdown by Europe
Great riff, catchy lyrics, tapping in solo- top stuff
The year is 2000, bring back spandex, luminous guitars, racks, hairspray, exotic scales and cowboy boots
By: Paul Nolan
- 10. The Medal Song by Culture Club
An often-bashed song, but it should be a favourite just for the video (furry freaks, gold skullcaps and hare krishnas just seem to make things complete, don't they?) The song itself is great, too, and is probably the best thing on Waking Up With The House On Fire
- 9. Aie A Mwana by Bananarama
Great, even if I can't understand a word of it :-) Very catchy and great to dance to.
- 8. Eternal Flame by The Bangles
One of those very memory-laden songs for me. Good even without the memories, though.
- 7. Church Of The Poison Mind by Culture Club
I like Culture Club, in case you haven't noticed
- 6. Love, Truth and Honesty by Bananarama
Bananarama's best song ever/yet.
- 5. To Be Reborn by Boy George
The song Madonna liked so much she stole the video :-)
- 4. Come On Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners
Nothing much to say: Great to bounce around to, extremely catchy.
- 3. They Say It's Gonna Rain by Hazell Dean
How come no-one I know knows who she is? She is /THE/ diva of the 80s, and this was one of her best, even if it didn't do that well chart-wise.
- 2. Total Eclipse Of The Heart by Bonnie Tyler
OK, Nicki French's version is better to dance to, but this is a great song to mope to when your boyfriend turns out to be a cheating bastard... sorry, where was I?
- 1. Time (Clock of the Heart) by Culture Club
I love this, and It's a shame it didn't get onto the 'grey' version of Kissing To Be Clever (the one I've got)
It's pretty obvious I like Boy George and Culture Club, isn't it? I think I've chose their best songs, though (although a lot of people would dissagree with #10 I think)
- 10. Luka by Suzanne Vega
- 9. Call Me by Blondie
- 8. Sweet Dreams Are Made Of This by Eurythmics
- 7. It's Raining Again by Supertramp
- 6. Our House (In The Middle Of The Street) by Madness
- 5. I Want To Break Free by Queen
- 4. Don't You Want Me Baby by The Human League
- 3. The Final Countdown by Europe
- 2. I Got My Mind Set On You by George Harrison
- 1. Moonlight Shadow by Mike Oldfield (but it's sung by Maggie Reilly)
And many others...!
- 10. Jump by Van Halen
C'mon and JUMP!
- 9. Shake Me by Cinderella
Great song to play on the road.
- 8. Born In the USA by Bruce Springsteen
Yeah yeah, we all remember Courtney Cox's big claim to fame in the 80's..
- 7. Still of the Night by Whitesnake
Invest in good surround sound speakers and crank it up!
- 6. Livin' On a Prayer by Bon Jovi
Looking back at the video..ya still gotta give 'em credit for the hair.
- 5. Rock You Like a Hurricane by Scorpions
It was a cross between this and 'No One Like You' but both equally kick ass I suppose.
- 4. Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Leppard
Step inside, walk this way..
- 3. Paradise City by Guns n' Roses
BEST rock party song of all time, to be played at maximum volume at all times!
- 2. Cherry Pie by Warrant
How could a top ten 80's songs list be complete without Warrant??
- 1. Poison by Alice Cooper
The God of Evil at his finest.
Alternate title for this list: Top Ten Songs To Play At Maximum Volume To Annoy Your College Dorm-mates (or to drown out other dorm-mates' barfable RAP music..)
- 10. Walkin' On Sunshine by Katrina And The Waves
This is such a peppy song. I loved it a lot.
- 9. Total Eclipse Of The Heart by Bonnie Tyler
What can I say? Just an excellent song.
- 8. Walk Like An Egyptian by The Bangles
I loved this song. Some stations overplayed it, but I still listen to it all the time.
- 7. Seasons Change/Point Of No Return by Expose
They were so cool! I loved to just sit and listen to their music for hours. Whatever happened to them??
- 6. Two Of Hearts by Stacey Q
She was such a cool singer! I loved her for the fact that she wrote awesome music and really liked to express herself
- 5. I'll Tumble 4 Ya by Culture Club
I just love the lyrics and the catchy beat
- 4. any from her first album by Tiffany
She was an excellent singer. Definitely worthy of this list.
- 3. Heaven Is A Place On Earth/Mad About You by Belinda Carlisle
Both good songs from an excellent singer. I was bummed when the Go-Gos broke up.
- 2. Toy Soldiers by Martika
I don't know exactly how to describe it, its just an awesome song
- 1. ANYTHING by Debbie Gibson
That girl was AWESOME!!! I was really impressed that she was so young and did so much. I couldn't believe the lyrics she wrote, especially at that age.
Honorable Mention: 1. Taylor Dayne "Tell It To My Heart" 2. Culture Club "Karma Chameleon" 3. The Bangles "Manic Monday"
By: Joey Jerimiah
- 10. tainted Love by Soft cell
An excellent song to dance to.
- 9. Video Killed the Radio Star by The Buggles
A clsssic my grade one teacher would play it for the class to dance to
- 8. Broken Wings by Mr. Mister
I song I will always remember even though I don't hear that often now.
- 7. Im Only Human by The Human League
It was hard to choose between Sara and this song there both good
- 6. Sara by Starship
A classic song great to hear and listen to
- 5. Say a Prayer by Duran Duran
A song that is good to listen to.
- 4. Its my life by Talk Talk
This song is great!!!!
- 3. Ghost Busters by Ray Parker Jr.
Once again I just like the beat to this song and the lyrics not to mention the movie.
- 2. Don't dream its Over by Crowded House
This is a song me and my girlfriend will never forget
- 1. Rock Me Amadeus by Falco
This song has an awesome beat and helped introduced me to 80s music.
honourable mentions go to Tears for Fears/ Everybody Wants to Rule the World. and Dont forget me when Im gone and Life in a Northern Town.
By: Filip van Parijs
- 10. I'm Not Scared by Eighth Wonder
Patsy Kensit is one of the most beautiful women in this small world.
- 9. Wishful Thinking by China Crisis
- 8. It Must Have Been Love by Roxette
Great pop duo.
- 7. Another Day In Paradise by Phil Collins
Just a classic.
- 6. Amadeus by Falco
Died too early, the only Austrian singer I like.
- 5. A View To A Kill by Duran Duran
This James Bond movie was great, but the titletrack even better.
- 4. Papa Don't Preach by Madonna
Great song of my pop hero of the eighties and she still is.
- 3. The Riddle by Nik Kershaw
Small person, but great artist.
- 2. What Have I Done To Deserve This by Pet Shop Boys & Dusty Springfield
One of my favourite groups and Dusty's great singer.
- 1. What A Feeling by Irene Cara
Fantastic movie, that was Flashdance off course.
- 10. Fade to grey by Visage
This one started the 80's for me
- 9. Mockingbird by Barclay James Harvest
a harmonious song with great a mixture of modern and classical instruments
- 8. Hide and Seek by Howard Jones
a very soft and quiet song that makes you start to dream
- 7. Blasphemous Rumours by Depeche Mode
... and actually everything else they made
- 6. Careless Whispers by George Michael
everytime this video was shown, I stopped everything I was doing and watched ... I still do :-)
- 5. Take on me by A-Ha
what can I say, this is the 80's! Though I like "Hunting high and low" and "The sun always shines on TV" just as much
- 4. Tainted Love by Soft Cell
This is my all time favourite dance song.
- 3. Welcome to the Heartlight by Kenny Loggins
... just for the sake of the memories associated whith this song
- 2. In the air tonight by Phil Collins
this ties with "I don't care anymore"
- 1. Criminal Mind by Gowan
This song has to be my no. 1 - it had me captured from the first time I ever heard it. It's so intensive ... it's so B A D !!!
Hon. Mention: Styx "Mr. Roboto" Duran Duran "Save a Prayer" (... and everything else...) Alan Parsons Project "Don't answer me" Camouflage "The great commandment", "Love is a shield" New Order "Bizzare Love Triangle", "True Faith" Nik Kershaw "The Riddle", "Wouldn't it be good" Berlin "Sex, ..." ... and so many more I grew up in the 80's and the music of this time is still present all around me and very propably still will be when I'm old and grey ;-)
By: lauren jones
- 10. Let the music Play by Shannon
This song was definetly ahead of its time.
- 9. Rididng On the Metro by Berlin
you just have to do an 80's dance to this song!!!!
- 8. Sunglasses at night by Corey Hart
cmon we all wear our sunglasses at night right
- 7. Candy by Cameo
Cameo must hav been one of the greatest groups of the 80's
- 6. Too shy by Kaja Goo Goo
This is a great song
- 5. Take on Me by Aha
They were cute THE VIDOE WAS AWESOME AND CUTE AND SOO WAS THE SONG
- 4. Thriller by Micahel Jackson
I Love the vidoe for this song!!!!
- 3. How soon is now by The Smiths
I just love the Smiths they are an awesome band WOW (-_-)
- 2. Love My Way by The Psychadelic Furs
The whole Valley Girl soundtrack was amazing i love this song its soo beautiful
- 1. Spirits In the Material World by The Police
BEST BAND IN THE WORLD EVER I LOVE THEM EVERY SONG THEY MAKE IS MAGIC
The 80's Was like the most Tubular time! you know?
There are so many good songs to choose from. But the ones that I have selected, in my opinion represent the best of the ballads, rock and pop of the 80's.
- 10. One Way or Another by Blondie
My all time favorite...
- 9. Cruel Summer by Bananarama
- 8. Come on Eileen by Dexy Midinight Runner
The premise on the song is insane...therefore I like it
- 7. Tainted Love by Soft Cell
The beat is so chatchy...it hard to get it out of my head.
- 6. Careless Whisper by Wham
What can I say? Yum...
- 5. Take on Me by A -Ha
- 4. Vacation by GO GO's
After seeing the video, it made we wanna dress up in my pink tutu and water ski.
- 3. Dress you Up by Madonna
Who didn't want to be like her?
- 2. Hungry Like a Wolf by Duran Duran
- 1. True by Spandau Balet
Most Romantic Love Song
By: Robert V.T.
- 10. Stray Cat Strut by Stray Cats
Loved the rock a billy beat of the Stray Cats. Still like their sound. definately a little ahead or behind their times
- 9. I Want a New Drug by Hewy Lewis and the News
Man cool song, and I loved the Video (I know it was simple but the sink scene gets me every time). IMHO this song just rocked. The rythum just grabbed you.
- 8. Africa/Rosanna by Toto
I guess a lot of people forgot this group. Couldnt chose which song though. One of those songs I can even remember the smell in the air the first time I heard it. I always wnated to know where she went to.
- 7. Princes of the Universe by Queen
Well this was tough. News of the World is a great album, probably their last. It was either this or "The Game" which is equally as good though Freddie really lets it out on News of the World !!
- 6. And She Was by Talking Heads
Great Band, great song, nuff said
- 5. Love is Alright Tonight by Rick Springfield
Cant help it but this song gets me every time. It just have a groove.
- 4. Veronica/Alison by Elvis Costello
A hard one to choose but Alison is one of my all time favs from one of my all time favorite artists.
- 3. Snowblind/Suite Madame Blue by Styx
Love these guys !! Anything off of Paradise Theater album but Grand Illusion is up there as well.
- 2. Bringin on the Heartbreak by Def Leppard
All around favorite song by this band. A song that really made the sound of 80's bands.
- 1. Sister Christian by Night Ranger
In my opinion, no one epitomized the early 80's group band like Night Ranger's vocal harmonies and lyric writing.
I know a lot of people wont agree on these but some of the ones I have seen are atrocious but we all had differing memories, cause to tell you the truth some of it I have never even heard. I checked them out but still never heard it....
By: Donn H
- 10. Obsession by Animotion
looks, sounds, production,concept, this tune and video had it all.
- 9. More than this by Roxy music
Like their english counterpart and my personal favorite Talk Talk, "More than this" is a 80's lovers dream come true. Laden with sweet synth textures and honey dripping melody, this song moves me to this day.
- 8. Send me an angel by Real life
What a shame this underrated song did not get the MTV play it deserved.
- 7. The metro by Berlin
I have one word for you concerning this song: Programming. The synth work on this tune is simply among the very best that can be acheived. From the Kraftwerk inspired synth textures to the melodies themselves, Berlin succeeded in creating a very dark, very German atmosphere.
- 6. Sweet dreams are made of this by Eurythmics
Who would have thought that Annie Lennox really had true vocal talent from this tune (though she still sounded good.) The synthed out cello lead was a stoke of genius in this song
- 5. Heat of the moment by Asia
Perhaps a song people are afraid to mention for fear of criticism but hey, this song turned heads. It is also stamped eternally on the memories of all early and mid eighties MTVer's, and in my opinion, is a better tune than it's wimpy cousin "Only time will tell."
- 4. Hungry wolf by X
Yes you read right. Not DD's "HLTW." The band X could have done great things but seem the victims of poor marketing. Hungry Wolf is a bit campy, but the raw punk/new wave/retro style is fresh and exiting.
- 3. I melt with you by Modern english
Talk about "era defining." The vocal style alone launched a thousand clones.
- 2. Don't Change for me by INXS
Pure energy. Well penned lyrics and anthemic melody.
- 1. It's my life by Talk Talk
This whole album is dynamite. Not a weak song song on it.
Honorable mentions: Missing persons "Mental hopscotch" Iron Maiden's "run to the hills" Le roux's "Addicted" Men without hats "safety dance" (The whole album is really good) Split enz "6 months in a leaky boat" Adam and the ants "Jolly roger"
- 10. Call Me by Blondie
Who did'nt love this song Disco was dead and this song put people back on the dancefloor! the Drums were hot on this one!
- 9. Make a Move on Me by Olivia Newton-John
This song ROCKED my senses! It was the follow up to Physical,and was even more sensual than I could even imagine ! (I keep waiting for some woman to tell me "a single touch surely is worth a thousand words!"
- 8. Wrap her up by Elton John and george Michael
Another feel good song! Very fun.
- 7. on and on and on by ABBA
Fun song I remember meeting my first girlfriend at the stating rink. we skated to this song! excellent rhythm!!
- 6. Heaven's on Fire by Kiss
This was one of those songs you went cruising with your friends,drinking beer to! the best song these guys ever put out!
- 5. Physical by Olivia Newton-John
The number one single of the decade! A lot of people laugh at it now, but if you could have been there when the lightning struck! the song had an original sound, rhythm,and an agressive sexuality that had not been expressed by a woman before!!! And she's still Hot!!
- 4. Bad Reputation by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts
the best rocksong of the decade(only my opinion!)
- 3. Friends and Lovers(Both to Each Other) by Gloria Loring and Carl anderson
probably the number one wedding song of the 80's, some might find it schmaltzy today, but it still seems sweet to me
- 2. U Got the Look by Prince with Sheena Easton
pure fun! The guitar on this song, coupled withe the carnival atmosphere,Kept me on the dance floor.
- 1. Twist of Fate by Olivia Newton-John
The one song from this decade that I still cant get enough of!! From the synth-hooks, to the lyrics,not to mention the most beautiful,gifted female vocalist of the last 30 years!
other songs I love include total eclipse of the heart-Bonnie Tyler,Naughty naughty-John Parr,2 of hearts-StacyQ,and Suddenly by Cliff Richard and Olivia Newton-John!
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.