In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
By: martin dutton
- 10. Walk Like An Egyptian by Bangles
and i think we did
- 9. Yeah Yeah Noh by Its Easier To Suck Than Sing
everyones favourite ? did a session for john peel, cynical and ace
- 8. Electricity by Orchestral Manoevres In The Dark
local church disco antics,bleak and futuristic electric action eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
- 7. Im Into Cb by The Fall
could have been any other fall track
- 6. Stop Bajon by Tullio De Piscopo
baleiric belter from that funny late 80,s dance phenomenom when people started growing long hair(and getting away with it) and harping on about Ibiza
- 5. Dare Lp by Human League
themetrack to stew greens pop and crisp party that ended in tears
- 4. Dancehall Days by Wang Chung
everybodies fave respect to justin robertson who inherited it as his anthem where are u wang ? the world needs you
- 3. Haircut 100 by Favourite Shirts
got me loads of girl attention at school as I was spitting image of nick still didnt lose my virginity till I was 18 though !
- 2. Theme For Great Cities by Simple Minds
steve hillage produced b-side to promised u a miracle rousing epic
- 1. Wrote For Luck by Happy Mondays
I wrote for luck,they sent me u,I sent for juice you give me poison
available for disco hire ,reasonable rates,fine collection of luther vandross singles,sorry girls nick heywoods looks have left me. Good at drinking guinness though . later ....
By: Dr. Pillsbury
- 10. Word up by Cameo
had to throw it in
- 9. I think we're alone now by Tiffany
a fav of tha ladies but good overall
- 8. All Night Long by Lionel Richie
- 7. Pretty Young Thing by Michael Jackson
I think this is 80's
- 6. Take me Home by Phil Collins
should be top 5 but im too lazy to change
- 5. Im Coming Out by Diana Ross
puff daddy stole this one
- 4. Hold the line by Toto
better than africa
- 3. Kyrie by Mr. Mister
- 2. Bad by U2
either this or "with or without you"
- 1. Higher Love by Steve Winwood
this will be the best list you see, if you disagree, email and tell me otherwise.
By: Michael Ryan
- 10. Your Love by The Outfield
One of my most listened to songs in the 80s.
- 9. Streetheart by Snow White
This Canadian band always got the people rocking.
- 8. Romancing The Stone by Eddy Grant
This song can get you going.
- 7. All You Zombies by The Hooters
This song was deep and from one of the better groups of the 80s.
- 6. Original Sin by INXS
This was one of their earlier hits, and my favorite from INXS.
- 5. Lessons in Love by Level 42
The dance floor sure filled up quickly when this gem started up.
- 4. Rise Up by Parachute Club
Epitome of the 80s.
- 3. Innocence by Harlequin
Another great Canadian act and a catchy tune.
- 2. Chains Of Love by Erasure
You have to be in pretty hard shape not to dance to this classic.
- 1. Go To Pieces by Paul Janz
Great song!...great artist...too bad he was relatively unknown outside Canada.
There are some songs in the 90s that are really good, but overall the songs from the 90s seem to lack the heart and soul of those from the eighties.
Music of the 80's are just the best, i'm still looking for a lot of songs from this great music periode
By: Jamie Mouldon
Guns 'n' Roses is the best ever.
- 10. Screen Kiss by Thomas Dolby
"She used to drink in the hills...only now she drinks in the valleys"
- 9. Skin Deep by The Stranglers
"One day, the track that you're climbing gets steep"
- 8. Life's What You Make It by Talk Talk
Strobes in the forest at night, owls, french horns, big double bass....very talented band.
- 7. Bring on the Dancing Horses by Echo and the Bunnymen
This has stuck in my mind for 15 years or more....
- 6. One Tree Hill by U2
"I'll see you again when the stars fall from the sky and the moon has turned red over One Tree Hill" - U2 saying goodbye to a friend.
- 5. Promised You a Miracle by Simple Minds
"Belief is a beauty thing..."
- 4. Jersey Girl by Bruce Springsteen
I heard that Springsteen's song's used to reflect the state of the US economy. I can just see stockbrokers hanging on the release of his latest album. But that was the 80's, huh?
- 3. Speak Like a Child by Style Council
"I really like it when you speak like a child..."
- 2. Tenderness by General Public
"Whispering in the graveyard..."
- 1. I Confess by The Beat
"I confess I knew every line.."
Reflecting on my teen years has been a very theraputic experience. Judging by the apparent success of your page it's now okay to confess your love of this period. Thank you for letting me confess my favourites to the world .
By: Scotty Campbell
- 10. Nova Heart by The Spoons
Quintessential Synth pop
- 9. A Million Miles away by Plimsouls (spelling)
serious American Band
- 8. Blasphemous rumours by Depeche Mode
- 7. If I was by Midge Ure
He never got enuff play In North America...This song was stunning
- 6. It's My Life by Talk Talk
thing of beauty
- 5. Town called Malice by The Jam
A fitting farewll to a great band
- 4. All Lost In the supermarket by The Clash
Need I say More?
- 3. You Moved me by Comsat Angels
it was this or "Independence day"
- 2. Never Never by The assembly
Feargal slays me here
- 1. Love my way by Psychadelic furs
Missed: Someone, somewhere In the summertime(simple minds), Kid (pretenders) Tenderness (General Public) I confess (the Beat) Perfect (the The)
By: Curtis Ellis
the 80S had A lot of great music(the cars were the best of all the bands)
- 10. Procrastination Song by Storm Troopers of Death
About 30 seconds on their Speak English or Die album--I haven't been able to find it in recent years.
- 9. Helpless Automaton by Men At Work
The whole Business As Usual album is great.
- 8. Cat People (Putting Out Fire) by David Bowie
I can't think of the words to explain it.
- 7. Shout by Tears for Fears
My parrot loved the video to this song--she'd stand on the television table and talk to the images.
- 6. Flesh for Fantasy by Billy Idol
Something about his sneer... I can't explain it.
- 5. Holding Out for a Hero by Bonnie Tyler
Still holding out.
- 4. The Dogs of War by Pink Floyd
Well, anything by Pink Floyd is generally good.
- 3. Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Iron Maiden
Excellent musical interpretation of Samuel Taylor Coleridge's epic poem.
- 2. Wildfire by Michael Martin Murphey
I'm not sure if it's an 80s song, but I remember searching the record stores for a 78 single of it.
- 1. Major Tom by Peter Schilling
For some reason I remember cars stacked on top of each other... Great song, and great in German, too!
Anything by Coil. Wild Boys by Duran Duran. Ozzy Ozbourne. Iron Maiden. Motley Crue. Eurythmics. Information Society. Judas Priest. It's the End of the World As We Know It by R.E.M. Rock Me Amadeus by Falco. Space Oddity by David Bowie. Anything by The Police. Banri no Kawa by Chage & Aska. Oh dear, the list could go on forever--we need more 80s compliation albums!
- 10. All Night Long by Lionel Richie
Really a crappy song but it puts a smile on my face for some reason
- 9. Footloose by Footloose
I remember dancing to this song, erasure and maniac
- 8. Tonight Tonight Tonight by Phil Colins
I remember being like 5 and hearing this song and couldn't figure out what it was about, but i thought it had something to do with being trapped in a cave, and that was enough to give me many nightmares
- 7. Erasure by A Little Respect
This was my favorite band in the 80s, maybe that and Escape Club, I remember listening to the Innocents tape over and over and over and over again
- 6. Escape Club by Wild Wild West
Everyone in my 6th grade class would sing this song, it was even an oldie at that time
- 5. Boys of Summer / End of the Innoncence by Don Henley
Couldn't decide which one, but I get VERY nostalgic when I hear either of them
- 4. Sunglasses At Night by Corey Hart
My sister used to dress me up like Corey Hart when I was 2, that might explain a lot
- 3. Rock This Town by Stray Cats
Although I don't actually remember this song being played in the 80s, it is one of the greater songs from the era. Brian Setzer is an amazing guitarist.
- 2. Sussudio by Phil Colins
- 1. Money For Nothing by Dire Straits
greatest song ever, clever irony in the second verse that many people don't pick up, hint: it has something to do with sting, and his hair. Mark Knopfler is my god
god, so many bands I ahd to leave out!!! Maniac was one of the better song s that didn't make the list, we didn't start the fire, wow there are just so many of them
By: Dare Devil Danny
- 10. Mexican Radio by Wall of Voodoo
- 9. Dance Hall Days by Wang Chung
- 8. Stay up late by Talking heads
- 7. Kyrie by Mr. Mister
- 6. You make my dreams come true by Hall and Oates
- 5. Heart and Soul by The Monkee's
Hey they did good with this song for being a 70's band.
- 4. Take on me by A-Ha
BEST 80's Video I can think of.
- 3. Video Killed the Radio Star by The Buggles
This is a must
- 2. Let's Go by The Cars
Not a lot of Car's fans here?
- 1. And I ran by Flock of Seaguls
This is the best 80's song ever what are you guys thinking not puting this on your top 10.
I CANT BELIEVE IT! No one has Flock of Seaguls in their TOP 10. You guys let me down
- 10. Pass the Dutchie by Musical Youth
Good Message, good beat and I felt bad cause I haven't seen it on any lists yet
- 9. Lady in Red by Chris Deburgh
I actually don't like this song but I do like it's effect. Go to a party, request this song from the D.J. then pick any girl you wanna lay and ask her to dance. Works every time!
- 8. In Your Room by Bangles
I wish Susanna Hoffs would come to my room and sing this lil' ditty to me
- 7. Vacation by Go-Go's
I own a Jeep Wrangler, In the summer time take the top off and turn this bitch up!
- 6. Candy Girl by New Edition
Ever see the scene in Dogma when Selma Hayek strips to this? If not do so you'll have a whole new appreciation for the song
- 5. Send Me An Angel by Real Life
When I sing this I feel like I'm asking God or someone for a favor
- 4. If I Close My Eyes Forever by Ozzy Osbourne & Lita Ford
This song moves me. Seriously, once i was sitting somewhere listening to it when it was over I was totally in a different spot
- 3. Kyrie by Mr. Mister
Cheesy and gutwrenching but knowing that "Kyrie Elaison" means "Lord have mercy" makes a whole world of differnce in the meaning. (Plus it fuckin rocks, try not to sing it outloud if you hear it.)
- 2. What Do All The People Know by The Monroes
This song hasn't been on the list yet and a one-hit wonder so magnificent it puts Norman Greenbaum to shame
- 1. Your Love by Outfield
From the second i hear the word "Josie" I have to jump around. It's the best out of all the summer of 69', Jessie's girl types!
I would just like to say that I have read mostly all of these list. Some were good and most sucked, and i'm sure that some of you will knock my choices but I dare you muthas to make a tape (not a C.D. this is the eighties were talking about) of my songs and give it a week I promise you will love them all. I worked hard on my list and I narrowed it down to 10 so what's with all of this honorable mention bullshit! You want honorable mention how about Lisa Lisa by Pauly Shore, a timely classic!
By: Christopher Schalk
- 10. Tainted Love by Soft Cell
I don't understand what a good beat can do at a party, but this one made all my 80's bashes the best!
- 9. Man in the Mirror by Michael Jackson
There are many people out there who do not like Michael, and for who knows why... but as soon as they hear a song by him, they'll sing along without even noticing... Man in the Mirror is one of those songs every one likes even though they might not admit it.
- 8. Right Now by Van Halen
"Get out of my shirt before you curse the band and they break up!" I am still confused as to what causes phenominal bands such as this to break up... But they were AWESOME while they lasted. every Van Halen song should fit in this slot, but I had to pick my favorite!
- 7. Monsters and Angels by Voice of the beehive
I believe the album this song is released on (Honey Lingers) was officially released in 1991, but this song was on the air when 102.7 KIKX in Colorado Springs had their going out of business year (1989) and their huge celibration of the last summer of the 80's... so that's my justification for placing this on this list!
- 6. I think we are alone now by Tiffany
I am not quite sure what it is about this song that I like, most of you reading this list are probably laughing your buns off... but I like it
- 5. Enjoy the Silence by Depeche mode
I cannot believe how few Depeche mode songs are located on these lists.. I have to say that they are great!
- 4. Every Rose Has Its Thorn by Poison
Granted, the band had a lot of problems dressing up as women and participating in wild monkey dances, but they did a supurb job on this classic.
- 3. Electric Blue by Icehouse
You just can't mess with Icehouse! Also, Man in Coulors is a notable song!If you haven't heard it, I highly recommend it
- 2. Heaven's Highest Hill by Billy Falcon
Anyone who knows this song should be commended.. Produced by Bon Jovi, Billy had the opportunity to go a long way, he just never got popular.
- 1. I'll Be There by The Escape Club
The first time I heard this song, I knew it was a good classic
By: Dave Adams
- 10. Video Killed the Radio Star by The Buggles
the 80's will forever be the MTV era and this tune kicked it all off.
- 9. Vienna by Ultravox
Sexy, forlorn, euro-music
- 8. Mexican Radio by Wall of Voodoo
Greatest 80's song line ever: "Wish I was in Tiaquana...eating bar-b-qued iguana"
- 7. Where the Streets Have No Name by U2
Classic mega-band hit.
- 6. China Girl by David Bowie
Something must be included off of the Let's Dance Album otherwise we aren't talking about the 80's.
- 5. Two Tribes by Frankie Goes to Hollywood
Remember...if your grandmother or any other member of the family dies...put them outside...but remember to tag them first for identification purposes.
- 4. More Than This by Roxy Music
- 3. Look of Love by ABC
Don't gimme that look...this was a big time hit of the early 80's.
- 2. Purple Rain - the whole album by Prince
Easily the best album of the 80's. Regardless of how u feel about the Artist, this was a classic 4 all time.
- 1. Avalon by Roxy Music
#1 Video, #1 tune and more than this...#1 Band of the 80's. Real musicians.
Devo - Beautiful World, Oingo Boingo - Deadman's Party, Berlin - Riding on the Metro, Prince - Little Red Corvette, Kate Bush - Cloudbursting, The Call - the Wall Came Down
anyone got similiar taste...feel free to email me with more song suggestions...
By: eric waters
- 10. Dirty Laundry by Don Henley
underestimated, I think
- 9. Hot In The City by Billy Idol
so many other good songs
- 8. Rock Me Amadeus by Falco
super hit but then poof...
- 7. Jammin Me by Tom Petty
I cant believe he didn'T make it onto so many other lists, with all the hits he'S had.
- 6. Don't You Want Me by The Human League
not A bunch of other good ones, but this one ranks up there
- 5. Shook Me All Night Long by Ac/dc
tons of great songs from these guys
- 4. Hurt So Good by John Cougar
from "american fool" the whole album is awesome
- 3. In The Air Tonight by Genesis
great band-nuff said
- 2. Detroit Rock City by Kiss
millions rocked to this classic
- 1. Money For Nothing by Dire Straits
if this song isn'T somewhere on your list, you missed the eighties!!
this is one top 10 list that many people will enjoy---guaranteed, or your money back!!!
By: matthew b
I wanted to make a one hit wonder list. Some of these guys had more than one hit but anyway... Honourable mentions: Nena 99 luftballoons, Jan Hammer Miami Vice, Harold Faltmeyer Axle F, A-Ha Take on Me, Falco Rock me Amadeus, John Parr Man in Motion, Taco Puttin' on the ritz.
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.