In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
- 10. Julian by Alta Moda
- 9. Blue Monday by New Order
- 8. Sweet Dreams by Eurythmics
- 7. Der Kommisar by After The Fire
- 6. Get into the Groove by Madonna
- 5. London Calling by The Clash
- 4. Sweet Child of Mine by Guns N Roses
- 3. Welcome to the Pleasuredome by Frankie Goes to Hollywood
- 2. When doves cry by Prince
- 1. You Spin Me Right Round by Dead or Alive
Only 10? Lots of other great songs mentioned already. It's hard to keep it to such a short list, but these songs I could/did/still do listen to endlessly.
- 10. Face To Face by Real Life
they're not just those of send me an angel!
- 9. No More Sorrow by Hong Kong Syndkat
minor german band: loved the song and the cartoon vid
- 8. Everything Counts by Depeche Mode
i knew them through this one
- 7. Just Like Heaven by The Cure
couldn't they be here?
- 6. Nobody's Diary by Yazoo Nobody's Diary
...for the happy and the sad
- 5. it's my life by Talk Talk
can a fairlight synth sound warm? yes, it does
- 4. Girl's Got Abrand New Toy by Txt
one hit wonder, but what a hit!
- 3. Heaven by Psychedelic Furs
...i scream at the fools wanna jump my train?
- 2. Feels Like Heaven by Fiction Factory
still makes me shiver after 17 years
- 1. The More You Live, The More You Love by A Flock Of Seagulls
best song of my fav band!
these are my fav at the moment but might change in the future, anyway they're 10 songs i always will love!!
By: Bibiána, SLOWAKIA
- 10. Bryan Ferry by Slave to Love
- 9. Tainted Love by Softcell
- 8. All wanna dance with somebody by Whitney Houston
- 7. Gold by Spandau Balett
- 6. The Edge of Heaven by WHAM
- 5. Litlle Lies by Fleetwood Mac
- 4. Teardrops by Womack and Womack
- 3. Domino Dancing by Pet Shop Boys
- 2. Woman in chains by Tears for Fears
- 1. Everybody wants to rule the world by Tears for Fears
Come on, wich one of mine do you agree or disagree with. I want to know. Admit it, ever time each of these songs comes on the radio, you roll down your windows, turn up the radio, and sing along. You just can't help it.
By: Jimmy Temmer
- 10. Break My Stride by Matthew Wilder
- 9. Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic by The Police
- 8. Pride by U2
- 7. Together Forever by Rick Astley
- 6. Don't You Forget About Me by Simple Minds
- 5. Madonna by Holiday
- 4. Shanon by Let The Music Play
- 3. Pass The Dutchie by Musical Youth
- 2. When Doves Cry by Prince
- 1. Phil Collins by In The Air Tonight
Nice site. I am also an 80's freak. I was a dj for most of the 80's in the U.S., the Carribean, and Europe. There are of course so many songs, that you can't really narrow it down to 10, but I tried my best.
By: Delilah Hart
I so miss 80s music!It was so upbeat and fun to listen to.The music scene has been quite depressing lately.I think it sort of started to go downhill when Michael Bolton,Richard Marx and Kenny G came along.
- 10. Come on Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners
Dodgy lyrics in places but still a winner... the tempo of this song always reminded me of a pogo-stick the way it bobs up and down all the time. great feeling listening to this, even after all this time...a great party-pleaser.
- 9. Pull Up to the Bumper by Grace Jones
This was an extraordinary release where notes of Reggae met contemporary pop-rock. Although it was a smooth and smouldering track, as a kid I used to be afraid of Grace...veeery afraid!
- 8. Missionary Man by Eurythmics
No particular reason why I have listed this song... I just really dug the harmonica and fretwork in contrast to Lennox's destinctive vocals.
- 7. Wild Boys by Duran Duran
The "Wild Boys" song was such a different direction for the band to take at the time, and with a kickass clip filmed by Russel Mulcahy to boot - this was an absolute rocker!
- 6. Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler
GREAT song (complete with gusty wind FX etc)... the song rocked (albeit I still harbor the childhood scars of the videoclip in which those FREAKY glowing eyes appeared)! Brrrr!!!
- 5. Still of the Night by Whitesnake
My Goooood! This blend of cello and electric guitar is still an awesome favourite! As for the gravelly vocals of Coverdale and the screaming creschendos, this kicks ass!
- 4. My Sharona by The Knack
Dirt cheap and reeking of sex and sweat, you can't help but rock to "My Sharona"! This is 80s at its best !
- 3. Fade to Grey by Visage
A haunting 80's song... theres something fundamentally recognisable in this song...it takes me to a place of childhood melancholy! Groovy arrangements too - FAR better than the remake!
- 2. Africa by Toto
That melodic rock gets me every time...layered vocals and smooth rock rythms. "Africa" is a trademark 80s song.
- 1. The Final Countdown by Europe
The signature keyboard riff and anthemic rocking and swaying coupled with blistering guitarwork and pristine vocals...this song took me on a journey over the lakes and forests of Sweden at lightening speed! What a treasure-trove of talent I unearthed when EUROPE came onto the world's stage! My number one best song of all existence!!!
*Video Killed the Radio Star* The Buggles *Material Girl* Madonna *Like Flames* Berlin *Reckless* Australian Crawl *China Girl* David Bowie
Worth a mention: Howard Jones: What is Love?, John Parr: St. Elmo's Fire, John Farnham: You're the Voice, Angry Anderson: Suddenly, Labi Siffre: Something Inside so Strong, Def Leppard: Love Bites.
- 10. Tears by X Japan
- 9. Virgin by Madonna
i realy dont like this song but my friend loves it so this is for jenn!hehe
- 8. Dancing Queen by Abba
great song! but its more like 70's!
- 7. Master And Servant by Depeche Mode
this song rocks!
- 6. Jam by Michael Jackson
I was looking all over for this song and i finally FOUND IT!
- 5. They Don't Really Care About Us by Michael Jackson
- 4. Why You Wanna Trip On Me by Michael Jackson
I know i'm mostly mentioning michael jackson but he's the BEST.
- 3. Can't Let Her Get Away by Micheal Jackson
I'm not sure if this is the 80's or what..but its off of his album "dangerous" it rocks!
- 2. Smooth Criminal by Michael Jackson
I absoulutly love this song! Alien Ant Farm you SUCK for redoing this song!
- 1. Rythym Nation by Janet Jackson
Oh my god this song is the best! Her best song by far!
X JAPAN MAN!
- 10. Shake the Disease by Depeche Mode
- 9. Bizarre Love Triangle by New Order
- 8. Hungry like the Wolf by Duran Duran
- 7. When Doves Cry by Prince
- 6. Material Girl by Madonna
this song embodies the 80's spirit!
- 5. A Forest by The Cure
One of the first bands to put the bass at the forefront of a song. A great intro, a great sound, great lyrics for an unforgettable song.
- 4. U2 by Where the Streets have no Name
and clearly anything they've ever done in the 80's. After all they are the best band in the world for a reason.
- 3. The Power of Love by Frankie Goes to Hollywood
the typical cheesy 80's love song, that still gives me shivers when I hear it.
- 2. Shout by Tears for Fears
A great duo.
- 1. Take on Me by A-Ha
Fantastic video, a tune that's unforgettable. Clearly the BEST song of the decade.
- 10. Rock the Casbah by The Clash
IT JUST ROCKS!!!!!!
- 9. In the Air Tonight by Phil Collins
Slow, climatic build ending with the powerful explosion of Phil's drums. Haunting. Bitter. Emotional tension tangibly felt (he wrote this song after the break up of his marriage, right?).
- 8. Owner of the Lonely Heart by YES
No clear reason as to why I particularly like this song. I just do (I think it has something to do with the basslines). Remember the video where the guy washes his face with all those maggots? Yeah! (ewwwwww!)
- 7. Beat It by Michael Jackson
He may be a freak in terms of his behaviour....but the man can dance and create memorable music. Let's give credit where credit is due.
- 6. Shock the Monkey by Peter Gabriel
This song has a fantastic, rhythmic beat. I often listen to it for that aspect rather than the lyrics, actually.
- 5. 99 Red Balloons/99 Luftballons by Nena
My first crash course in German. LOL!!! I heard the German version first and didn't have a clue as to what was being said but liked the music anyway. The story of how a simple red balloon gets mistaken as an enemy missle as it floats across the sky is quite amusing yet very thought-provoking. It's hard not to think of Peter Schilling's "Major Tom" also (and hey! That song is available in a German version too!).
- 4. Wouldn't It Be Good? by Nik Kershaw
A catchy pop song with a leisurely pace. It makes me recall fond memories of long, care-free summer days, spent with friends and family.
- 3. Would I Lie to You? by Eurythmics
This song just rocks. Need a song to encourage you to leave that jerk of a boyfriend/girlfriend/employer in the dust? This is the song to play.
- 2. Pride (In the Name of Love) by U2
Simple yet awesome lyrics. It's a very rousing song, from the intro's electrifying guitar notes to the climatic verse at the end: "Early morning, April 4/Shot rings out in the Memphis sky/Free at last, they took your life/They could not take your pride". How can you NOT be moved by that??? (U2's "Gloria" should really be tied with this song).
- 1. Hungry Like the Wolf by Duran Duran
A great song from one of the best albums of the 80s, "Rio". Full of incredible energy. Each musical element is strong and blends well together. Yes, Duran Duran will always be remembered for their pioneering videos...but let's not forget that there was solid music sense behind it all.
The 80s produced a music scene that was so diverse. That's why I enjoy revisiting that decade so much. Other favourites worth mentioning: Our Lips Our Sealed (The Go-Gos), Safety Dance (Men Without Hats); Cars (Gary Numan), Hold Me Now (Thompson Twins); Girls Just Wanna Have Fun (Cyndi Lauper); Alive and Kicking (Simple Minds); Upside Down (Diana Ross); True (Spandau Ballet); Another One Bites the Dust (Queen); New World Man (Rush); I Want to Know What Love Is (Foreigner); In a Big Country (Big Country); Close to Me (The Cure); Walkin' On Sunshine (Katrina and the Waves); Steppin' Out (Joe Jackson)....who am I kidding? I can't possibly list them all. THERE ARE SOOOO MANY GOOD TUNES! I enjoyed reading through everyone's lists. Many other fave songs of mine were listed in them already. Hmmm...maybe we can start listing favourite 80s ALBUMS!!! Me first: Rio, The Joshua Tree, Thriller, Graceland, So, Be Yourself Tonight/Sweet Dreams (are made of this)--a tie, Arias and Symphonies (from a Canadian band called Spoons. A must listen for those into new wave! Especially "Nova Heart"), Rhythm of Youth, Into the Gap, Hunting High and Low, Watermark (Enya). OK, I'll stop blabbing now! :)
By: Sanso Mamo
- 10. Tainted Love by Soft Cell
totally 80s vibe!
- 9. I Should Be So Lucky by Kylie Minogue
perfect pop ditty from the 80s very own princess of pop, go to hear Kylies new song, Cant Get u Out Of My Head at www.kylie.com (UK #1 for 5 weeks!)
- 8. Take On Me by A - Ha
probably one of the best music videos of all time, this is my number 8 choice
- 7. Total Eclipse Of The Heart by Bonnie Tyler
great voice great song
- 6. Crazy For You by Madonna
pure 80s pop
- 5. Bad by Michael Jackson
definitive 80s song - what he did others followed, exactly like his pop nemesis Madonna
- 4. Open Your Heart by Madonna
a stone cold classic - the video being THE greatest 80s video EVER, from the ultimate 80s icon
- 3. Relax by Frankie Goes To Hollywood
shocking for all the right reasons
- 2. Billie Jean by Michael Jackson
great song - with one of THE definitive 80s music videos
- 1. Like A Virgin by Madonna
definitive 80s tune! totally encaptures a period in time
I havent mentioned Prince - mainly because I dont think his songs were classics - his albums were. My ultimate 80s singers are Madonna, Michael Jackson and Prince
By: Carrie Price
- 10. I Ran by Flock of Seagulls
- 9. Jenny (867-5309) by Tommy Tutone
this song is great,
- 8. Joey by Concrete Blond
Two words are enough. CONCRETE. BLONDE. Yes.
- 7. Voices Carry by Til' Tuesday
HUSH HUSH KEEP IT DOWN NOW!!! This song is the best because no had ANY IDEA AT ALL what they were saying. "mrs. carey?" "mr. scary?" "it's too scary?" NO!!! VOICES CARRY!
- 6. Born to Run by Bruce Springsteen
"everybody's out on the run tonight but there's no place left ot hide" ... YOU KNOW YOU LOVE THIS SONG
- 5. Dancing in the Dark by Bruce Springsteen
Bruce Springsteen = Hardcore 80's.
- 4. Livin' On A Prayer by Bon Jovi
Can't deny it.
- 3. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For by U2
This song rocks because first of all, it's by U2, second of all... it's the best.
- 2. We Didn't Start the Fire by Billy Joel
Classic. Just classic. And have you ever seen the video? Again, classic.
- 1. Take On Me by A-ha
This is by far the funniest, most classic 80's song that exists.
Eighties. Rad. Tubular.
I Ran, I Melt With You, and Blue Monday.
A-ha Is Back. They Are Doing A World Tour Summmer Of 2002
Secondary consideration 1. I Ran - Flock of Seagulls 2. Promised you a Miracle - Simple Minds 3. Smalltown Baoy - Bronski Beat 4. Love Plus One - Haircut 100 5. Major Tom - Peter Schilling 6. Forever Young - Alphaville 7. Doot Doot - Freur 8. Just like Heaven - Cure 9. A little Respect - Erasure 10 Melt with you - Modern English
- 10. 99 Red Baloons by Nena
They go by.
- 9. Owner Of A Lonely Heart by Yes
- 8. Voices by Russ Ballard
- 7. Just An Illusion by Imagination
- 6. Don't You Forget About Me by Simple Minds
- 5. (You Shook Me) All Night Long by ACDC
- 4. All Night Long by Lionel Ritchie
- 3. Get Down On It by Kool & the Gang
The ultimate dance song (again, for definition).
- 2. Run To You by Bryan Adams
- 1. Jump by Van Halen
The coolest song ever made. Definition of the word "cool" is this song.
By: Mary Kate
- 10. Whip It by Devo
This song rules! I am so amused by it everytime I hear it.
- 9. Summer of '69 by Bryan Adams
I love Bryan Adams, and this was just a great rock 'n' roll song.
- 8. (You Gotta) Fight Fof Your Right (To Party) by The Beastie Boys
The ultimate party anthem. It doesn't get better than this, kids.
- 7. Pink Houses by John Mellencamp
Another song that makes you feel great to be an American. And it's got a great hook.
- 6. Born In The U.S.A by Bruce Springsteen
The Boss! How can you NOT love this song?
- 5. Faith by George Michael
I love this song! Fun, pop song that will never be improved upon (especially when you scream the chorus ::cough::Fred Durtz!::cough::
- 4. Time After Time by Cyndi Lauper
An absolute classic.
- 3. Don't You (Forget About Me) by Simple Minds
Great song that truly captured a great movie (The Breakfast Club, for those who might not know...go rent it!)
- 2. Every Breath You Take by The Police
Sting's masterwork. Who ever knew obsessive love could sound this beautiful?
- 1. Where The Streets Have No Name by U2
This song makes me feel ALIVE! No song makes me feel as happy to be alive than this one. And "The Joshua Tree" is the BEST '80's album, hands down!
I picked "Where The Streets Have No Name", but any U2 song could be #1, whether they were singles or not. Best band then, best band now. All of their music is absolutely timeless
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.