In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
By: Jay Banerjee
- 10. Computer Love by Kraftwerk
Best stuff was in the seventies, but they definitely deserve a mention.
- 9. Brassneck by The Wedding Present
- 8. Enola Gay by O.M.D.
- 7. The Perfect Kiss by New Order
- 6. Mirror in the Bathroom by The (English) Beat
Known as The Beat in their native UK and The English Beat in America due to the previous existence of a Beat from the States.
- 5. Here Comes Your Man by The Pixies
- 4. Radio-Free Europe by R.E.M.
- 3. Teen Age Riot by Sonic Youth
- 2. Makes No Sense At All by Hüsker Dü
- 1. Alex Chilton by The Replacements
Greatest rock song ever.
This list isn't exactly my eighties top 10. My eighties top 10...indeed, my all-time top 10...would look something like five songs by the Replacements and five more by Hüsker Dü. Consider this a combination of an honest-to-goodness top 10 mixed with a good dose of tokenism. (For instance, many R.E.M., Pixies, and Hüsker Dü songs could go in place of the ones I've chosen. I even took token songs from genres..."Enola Gay" is my token synth-pop song, "Brassneck" is my token British indie-rock song.)
- 10. Rio by Duran Duran
another great hit from another great band
- 9. Human by The Human League
the only song of this group that i can appreciate so much.
- 8. Blasphemous Rumors by Depeche Mode
Im a pretty big D-Mode fan, especially of this song and Enjoy the Silence.
- 7. Sara by Starship
Made me think of ever cute girl i knew for some reason.
- 6. Head Over Heels by Tears for Fears
This song reminds me of my days of growing up.
- 5. Like a Prayer by Madonna
Greatest song she ever made, especially the first couple minutes.
- 4. Take on Me by Aha
Another one of those emotion stirring songs
- 3. Hungry Like the Wolf by Duran Duran
This song really gets me going.
- 2. Enjoy the Silence by Depeche Mode
A song that really caught me when I heard it.
- 1. Bizzare Love Triangle by New Order
A great catchy song that stirs emotion
By: Juan Carlos Escalante
- 10. The Police by Roxxanne
- 9. Men at Work by Who Can It Be
- 8. Lionel Richie by Say you, Say me
- 7. John Parr by St Elmo's Fire
- 6. Nina by 99 Red Balloons
- 5. Fleetwood Mac by Go your own way
- 4. Eric Carmen by All by Myself
- 3. Boston by More than a feeling
- 2. Tears for fears by Shout/Everybody Wants to Rule the world
- 1. Bangles by Eternal Flame
The songs are not in any particular order You may think I'm cheating,I'm 17, but the thing is, I litterally grew up hearing all this music, And suddenly when I became 10 and FULLy aware of music it desappeared and started instead to hear those gloomy grunge beats and horrible metal chords. Every time I listen to that cheerfull but realistic,Romantic but sad, Over the top but Intelligent music it just reminded of those more innocentand happiers times of my life. PD Thanks to all those 80's collection for tapping into my memories to remember those songs.
- 10. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper
- 9. A Whiter Shade Of Pale by Annie Lennox
- 8. All Through The Night by Cyndi Lauper
maybe it deserved a better ranking
- 7. China In Your Hands by T'Pau
too nice to forget
- 6. Venus by Bananarama
- 5. Always On My Mind by Pet Shop Boys
don't know if it was released in the 80s
- 4. Temptation by New Order
- 3. Smalltown Boy by Bronski Beat
- 2. Maria Magdalena by Sandra
one of the most representative of the genre...
- 1. Always (I Wanna Be With You) by Erasure
I also like roxette a lot, pet shop boys, blondie, eurythmics etc.
- 10. Send Me An Angel by Real Life
Fab song - I hardly know anything about them but I am pretty sure they were Australian.
- 9. Sunglasses at Night by Corey Hart
We simply did not see enough of this guy. He is probably now married, overweight and living in a trailer park.....
- 8. She Bop by Cyndi Lauper
Forget Girls just wanna have fun - this is the real girls night out song....
- 7. We built this city by Starship
Just love this song - a real 80's anthem.
- 6. Missing You by John Waite
Who is this guy??? A one hit wonder and a damn good one at that!
- 5. The Power of Love by Frankie Goes to Hollywood
I'll protect you from the hooded claw, keep the vampires from your door. Gotta love the 80's - the guys knew all the right things to say to us girls.......I wanna walk down the aisle to this song.
- 4. Oh Sherry by Steve Perrie
I love this song but never hear it anywhere. A good alround 80's rock ballad.
- 3. Wouldn't it be good by Nik Kershaw
Small but perfectly formed - the wonderfully talented Mr Kershaw.
- 2. Jessies Girl by Rick Springfield
What a song - what a guy! Like a good wine he just keeps getting better (to look at anyway)
- 1. Planet Earth by Duran Duran
The ultimate 80's band - in fact the ultimate band of all time and still going strong for all those that don't know. This still gets me on the dance floor and I love Simon's daggy dancing in the clip. My top 10 would be all DD. They rock!
Look I really couldn't do 80's music justice by listing my 10 favourite songs - it is like asking someone which of their children is their favourite. Hi Nick I beat you here!!!!
- 10. Walk Like an Egyptian by Bangles
Oh, come on! The video has Ghadafi and Prince Charles walking like Egyptians...
- 9. Centerfold by J. Geils Band
- 8. Drive by The Cars
Great break-up song!
- 7. The Final Countdown by Europe
- 6. Born in the USA by The Boss
It's an 80s anthem. Gotta love it.
- 5. I Can't Hold Back by Survivor
It's just got some excellent 80s guitar riffs, good makeout song.
- 4. One Night Love Affair by Bryan Adams
Never a big-time hit, but one of the many greats off "Reckless"--great 80s sound.
- 3. Heaven by Bryan Adams
- 2. Gloria by Laura Branigan
It just reminds me of the 80s for some reason
- 1. At this Moment by Billy Vera & The Beaters
This is the song that Alex P. Keaton fell in love to on Family Ties. It's a classic! "If I could just hold you again...."
This is so tough--how to choose just 10 from a great decade?
By: Joseph Spurgeon
- 10. A View to a Kill by Duran Duran
- 9. True by Spandau Ballet
- 8. Safety Dance by Men without Hats
- 7. Bizzare Triangle by New Order
- 6. Just Like Heaven by The Cure
the cures best song...
- 5. Just Cant Get Enough by Depeche Mode
such a classic
- 4. Tainted Love by Soft Cell
everybody knows this song
- 3. If You Leave by OMD
- 2. Hungry Like the Wolf by Duran Duran
One of the best songs ever by one of the best bands ever.
- 1. Never Let Me Down Again by Depeche Mode
This song is so good that it still sounds light years ahead of its time.
there are so many great songs to pick from....but the 3 best 80's bands are Duran Duran, The Cure, OMD......but of course the best band of all time...is Depeche Mode.....
- 10. Pure Energy by Information Society
The title says it all; this is a nightclub classic.
- 9. Look Of Love by ABC
Catch the video if you can for the ultimate 80s experience.
- 8. Kill The Poor by Dead Kennedys
Tasteless 1980 classic from a great punk band. Punk was part of the 80s, too! (just)
- 7. Tainted Love by Soft Cell
Who can forget this gem? Soft Cell spawned a whole generation of flamboyant singer/lifeless keyboardist double acts.
- 6. Sussudio by Phil Collins
The most powerful 'crush' song ever written. Full of energy.
- 5. Facts Of Life by Talking Heads
The most powerful anti-love song ever written. Compares romance to monkeys in a zoo in a way that'll put you off dating for life.
- 4. Don't You Want Me, Baby? by Human League
An anthem. Practically defines an entire genre of music. Nervous, edgy synthesisers unusual but successful experiment for Human League.
- 3. Take my Breath Away by Berlin
What a song! Romantic heartstopper from Top Gun soundtrack.
- 2. You Spin Me Round [like A Record] by Dead or Alive
::The:: dance classic of the 80s. Still stands up today.
- 1. Hip To Be Square by Huey Lewis and the News
Pure congratulatory decadence, although styles were varied, this song embodies the musical ethos of the 80s.
By: Spencer Lent
- 10. What's Love Gotta Do With It by Tina Turner
- 9. Every Breath You Take by Police
- 8. Subdivisions by Rush
Another great song by Rush.
- 7. Tom Sawyer by Rush
Awesome song. The only "hard rock" band I listen to.
- 6. Pride by U2
How can you have an 80s list and not have U2 on it???
- 5. Whip It by Devo
I love this song. It is short and sweet.
- 4. Owner of a Lonely Heart by Yes
The comeback song for this progressive rock band.
- 3. Broken Wings by Mr. Mister
Another awesome song!!!
- 2. Kyrie by Mr. Mister
Awesome song, awesome band. My favorite 80's band.
- 1. Take on Me by A-ha
The song that is the 80s. The music video is AWESOME!!!
This was Hard!!! I love all of these songs, and I love so many more!!!
I could go on and on listing 80's songs. I grew up in this decade.
- 10. Learning To Fly by Pink Floyd
My favorite band, my favorite song, the best song of the 80's most definitely!!! Amazing lyrics, BEAUTIFUL!
- 9. Rock Of Ages by Def Leppard
What can I say? I'm a fan.
- 8. Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Leppard
What a rock song!! Stadium type sound, wicked awesome!
- 7. Puttin On the Ritz by Taco
A song with amazing beats and luv the synthesizer.
- 6. Kiss by Prince
The best Prince song ever! Great to move to!
- 5. I Love Rock And Roll by Joan Jett And The Blackhearts
Totally awesome beat, great party song.
- 4. Jesse's Girl by Rick Springfield
This is probably my fave 80's song just because of Boogie Nights!
- 3. Ragdoll by Aerosmith
In my opinion,their best song ever!
- 2. I Wanna Be A Cowboy by Boy's Don't Cry
- 1. West End Girls by Pet Shop Boys
This song has an extremely danceable, sexy beat. A trancy way ahead of it's time 80's song.
By: Star Me Kitten
- 10. Never Let Me Down Again by Depeche Mode
Another underrated tune. The incredible bass line, powerful vocals of Dave Gahan, and surreal lyrics from Martin Gore make this song great for driving and singing loudly...
- 9. Don't You Forget About Me by Simple MInds
As an upbeat ballad, it just makes you feel good. The vocals are strong, warm and heartfelt. A little synth is the only thing holding this song in the 80's.
- 8. Africa by Toto
Blends a pop verse with a rock anthem chorus, and tosses in some great African sounding beats. The underlying theme is quite original.
- 7. True Faith by New Order
Wicked lyrics, it's quite surreal yet accessible and infectious.
- 6. Take On Me by Aha
Sort of epitomizes the 80's...poppy, catchy, and sweet. It is a perfect blend of 80's pop staples.
- 5. Rock This Town by Stray Cats
I think this song is sadly overlooked and underrated. Incredibly boisterous, it's a fantastic knock-off of 50's rockabilly tunes.
- 4. Jack & Diane by John Cougar
JC never though this song would be a hit because it was so stripped down. It's simple, catchy and stood out as great storytelling in a time of synthetic pop.
- 3. When Doves Cry by Prince
Unforgettable percussion...beautiful vocal layering. Prolific lyrics. This song was truly larger than the 80's...
- 2. In Your Eyes by Peter Gabriel
Beautiful layers, complicated, truly unique.
- 1. It's the End of the World As We Know It by R.E.M.
Perhaps the most unique and unlikely hit to come out of the 80's.
By: jimmi london
- 10. What U Need by INXS
Great club song, rocks.
- 9. People Are People by Depeche Mode
- 8. Take Me Home by Phil Collins
- 7. Every Breath You Take by The Police
- 6. Something About You by Level 42
Great eighties dance song.
- 5. Holding Back The Years by Simple Red
- 4. When Doves Cry by Prince
- 3. Maneater by Hall And Oats
- 2. Careless Whisper by Wham!/George Michael
- 1. One On One by Hall And Oats
Moving, heartfelt, soulful eighties.
The eighties were great to me!!!!!!!!!!!!
By: Kim D. A.
- 10. True Faith by New Order
What can I say.. it´s New Order at it´s 80´s best.
- 9. Woodpecker From Space by Video Kids
Still have the tape.. proud as hell.
- 8. Don´t Mess With Doctor Dream by Thompson Twins
Hm, thought this song was creepy. Didn't even understand all the lyrics at the time.
- 7. Walk The Dinosaur by Was Not Was
- 6. Break Dance Party by Break Machine
Had the cassette, remember trying some headspins, my neck still hurts.
- 5. Robert De Niro´s Waiting by Bananarama
One of the first video´s I remember watching. The pizza in the violin case, great! Great song too.
- 4. Johnny Come Home by Fine Young Cannibals
Remember I hated the song and the video. Used to laugh at the singer's big mouth and way of singing.. now I love it.
- 3. Rock Me Amadeus by Falco
Bad but cool.
- 2. People Are People by Depeche Mode
- 1. Wild Boys by Duran Duran
I think I was ten when I saw the video on Sky Trax... blew me away!
This list could have been sooo much longer. I have a lot of good memories of 80´s music, so I just posted the first ten songs I thought about. Since I´m Norwegian I feel that I must mention The Monroes, and theyre great song Sunday People, the next best group besides A-ha.. in Norway, in the 80´s. Great webpage by the way!
By: ric byrd
- 10. Waiting For A Girl Like You by Foreigner
How many groups can you actually listen to the complete cd and like all the songs?
- 9. Jump by Van Halen
First #1 hit for the west coast band.
- 8. Deep River Woman by Lionel Richie
Hit the pop and country charts.
- 7. We Will Rock You by Queen
Who in the free world does not know this song?
- 6. Think I'm In Love by Eddie Money
- 5. Rebel Yell by Billy Idol
Punk rock in the 80s.
- 4. Rock Me Tonight by Billy Squier
Squier defined the 80s as much as this next artist.
- 3. Bad To The Bone by George Thorogood
- 2. Crazy Train by Ozzy Osbourne
Is still a big seller to this day.
- 1. Faithfully by Journey
Journey started the whole lighter thing with this song, no list can be complete without something from journey.
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.