In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
Songs based on popularity and frequency of radio play. Some of the best songs from the 80s weren't necessarily played on the radio.
By: Suzie Neumann
- 10. Might Like You Better (If We Slept Together) by Romeo Void
The only song that still makes me dance like that.
- 9. Pretty In Pink by Psychedelic Furs
Forget the movie, the song was much much better.
- 8. Stop The World by Modern English
This is the way you *want* romantic love to be.
- 7. Sweet Dreams by Eurythmics
I don't think I was ever quite the same after this video came out.
- 6. With Or Without You by U2
No 80s list is complete without a U2 song. A pivotal song in the career of a pivotal band.
- 5. Roxanne by The Police
"Rooox - annne - You don't have to put on the red light..."
- 4. Radio Free Europe by REM
I still liked Michael Stipe best when he was too shy to face the audience.
- 3. Couldn't Stand The Weather by Stevie Ray Vaughan
I would not have made it through college without Stevie. He is missed.
- 2. Train In Vain by The Clash
For a band that was so heavily tied to 80s punk, the Clash sure has some songs that endure. "Train in Vain" ties with "Should I Stay or Should I Go" in my book.
- 1. Life During Wartime by Talking Heads
Or "Burning Down the House." Or "Swamp." Or "Take Me To The River." Or "Psycho Killer." Or "Girlfriend Is Better. Or "Once In A Lifetime." Or... Anything with David Byrne in a Big White Suit.
Honorable Mentions to Love and Rockets' "I'm Alive," Frankie Goes to Hollywood's "Relax," and the Beastie Boys "Fight for Your Right (to Party)." I would give an award to Black Flag for "Black Coffee" except that I can't remember the show I saw them at in 1985 at the Nick in Birmingham and so can't attest to how good they were back then.
By: Kevin G (aka Fatkid)
- 10. 99 Red Balloons by Nena
English/German version...who cares! This song ruled no matter what language.
- 9. We Belong by Pat Benatar
This song moved me from the first time I heard it on the radio and still does today. This, hands down, is Pat's best song. (We belong, we belong, we belong together.....)
- 8. Roam by B-52's
Upbeat, snappy and groovy.
- 7. Good Bye To You by Scandal
Angry song with a great beat.
- 6. Back On The Chain Gang by The Pretenders
Great guitar intro, haunting lyrics and Chrissie Hynde......need I say more?
- 5. Don't Dream It's Over by Crowded House
One of my all time favorites.
- 4. April Skies by Jesus and Mary Chain
Never made it in mainstream America but this band had some great songs!
- 3. If You Were Here by Thompson Twins
Great song from one of the greatest cheesey 80's movies ever..... Sixteen Candles. John Hugh's best.
- 2. Always On My MInd by Pet Shop Boys
These guys proved that disco never died.
- 1. Just Like Heaven by The Cure
The best Cure song ever, 'nuff said.
Going to High School during the 80's, seeing the transition from vinyl to cassettes, the 80's saw such a wide range of music in such a short period of time. It was hard to pick my top 10 favorite songs from this decade. I would also like to mention Duran-Duran, Big Country, Love & Rockets, The Psychedelic Furs, Talking Heads, Yes, U2 and many more that should be on this list as well. Thanks for the memories!
- 10. Every Rose Has It's Torn by Poison
Possibly the most beautiful metal song ever created!!!
- 9. Cum On Feel the Noize by Quiet Riot
Great song to just get wild to!!!
- 8. Epic by Faith No More
- 7. Some Like It Hot by Power Station
Very sexy song with a great beat!!!
- 6. Careless Whisper by Wham!/George Michael
Very beautiful song...
- 5. Devil Inside by INXS
This song always got to me because it is so true!!!
- 4. Don't They Know It's Christmas Time by Band Aide
This is possibly the best Christmas song of all time!!!
- 3. We Are the World by USA for Africa
- 2. Missing by Arcadia
Great song with haunting and heart felt lyrics!!!
- 1. The Chauffeur by Duran Duran
My all time favorite band and they still are. They did not end in the 80's and they are not reuniting with the original five members to create a new album that should be out in the fall of 2002!!! I cant wait!!!
I tried not to repeat any artist or group. Just to let you know if I did it would be full of Duran Duran, Arcadia, and INXS ;o)
By: Matt Saeli
- 10. It's a Mistake by Men at Work
This is my favorite Men at Work song. Maybe not their best content wise, but probably the best sounding.
- 9. Lessons In Love by Level 42
This is a great song. It is far superior to Something About You. Yet, it is probably not as famous.
- 8. Africa by Toto
This is another under rated band of the 80's. This is the perfect love song and by far the song that they are remembered for.
- 7. King For A Day by Thompson Twins
They had a lot of good hits, but this has to be their best. This is a very balanced song. People think that Hold Me Now was their best song, but this song is the best example of what their sound was through out the 80's.
- 6. New Moon On Monday by Duran Duran
I know that people will always mention Hungry Like a Wolf or Rio when it comes to Duran Duran, but I think that this is probably their best song. Not to say that those other ones are not good.
- 5. Allentown by Billy Joel
This is an emotional song with a great sound. Just makes you feel nostalgic with you hear it.
- 4. If This Is It by Huey Lewis And The News
Huey Lewis and the News were one of the most successful American pop bands of the 80's. They had so many hits that it is hard to pick just one, but I think that this is probably the one that is the best.
- 3. Steppin' Out by Joe Jackson
The song is solid. This is definitely, one of the most memorable of all the 80's songs. Steppin’ Out has great lyrics and a great sound to it.
- 2. She Blinded Me With Science by Thomas Dolby
This is probably, the most unique and inventive of any 80's song. Thomas Dolby is a genius, which set the standard for the sounds of the 80's. In my opinion, the most under rated artist of the 80's. Go out and buy his greatest hits cd. You will be pleasantly surprised with what you find.
- 1. Take On Me by Ah Ha
This is by a long stretch, the greatest 80's song of all time, PERIOD. There is no arguing about this at all. It has the perfect sound that typified the 80's. You cannot listen to this song without getting hyped up.
Honorable Mentions: Cloudburst at Shingle Street by Thomas Dolby, Burning Down the House by Talking Heads, Fortress Around your Heart by Sting, Don't You Want Me by Human League, and In your Wildest Dreams by Moody Blues.
By: Susy Ferriss
- 10. On the Streets Of This Town by Steve Forbert
Awesome CD - again - real music stuff - several nice crunchy guitars, good harmonies, great hooks.
- 9. Our Lips are Sealed by The Go-Go's
Okay, another Go-Go's one, but really - you have to love this!!
- 8. When Angels Kiss by Gary Myrick
Another good one - "real" music - guitars, drums, bass, vocals.
- 7. A Good Heart by Feargal Sharkey
Very cool song - great CD overall. Odd, but hook-filled.
- 6. Shelter by Lone Justice
Good crunchy guitar pop - sugar for the ears.
- 5. Cool Places by Sparks and Jane Wiedlin
Just a cool song - find it, you'll love it.
- 4. A Girl in Trouble Is A Temporary Thing by Romeo Void
Haunting, controversial in its time. A classic.
- 3. Ooh Ooh Song by Pat Benatar
Another good one - great voice, good music, etc.
- 2. Wuthering Heights by Kate Bush
Once you've been Bushwacked, you'll never go back.
- 1. Head Over Heels by The Go-Go's
This is just SUCH a rock masterpiece - awesome crunchy guitars, beautiful piano, great harmonies, nice hook. I love this!! You should pick up "God Bless the Go-Go's" if you want a reallllly good CD.
If You Want The Kind Of Excellent Music The 80s Used To Produce, Go Buy 'God Bless The Go-go's' - You'll Love It. I Buy Tons Of Cds All The Time, And This One Is Truly An Excellent Piece Of Music.
By: Pedro Arredondo
- 10. Total Eclipse Of The Heart by Bonnie Tyler
- 9. Always Something There To Remind Me by Naked eyes
Very good song.
- 8. Africa by Toto
I cant forget that song.
- 7. Our House by Madness
- 6. Money For Nothing by Dire Straits
- 5. Tainted Love by Soft Cell
- 4. Every Breath You Take by The Police
- 3. Down Under by Men At Work
- 2. Big in Japan by Alphaville
- 1. Video Killed The Radio Star by The Buggles
Simply the Best.
I need at least 50 more lines.
By: Jammy Gem
This site is great!
By: Ian MacGallet
- 10. Hush by Deep Purple
The Live Version, Better than ever.
- 9. Play The Game by Queen
Simple. And Perfect.
- 8. Sultans Of Swing by Dire Straits
Guitar? Yes, guitar. Without picks? Yes.
- 7. Knocking On Heaven's Door by Guns 'N' Roses
Some rock roots. Replanted.
- 6. Radio Ga Ga by Queen
Do you know how to clap hands? Now you gonna learn...
- 5. Beat It by Michael Jackson
Michal Jackson and Eddie Van Halen? Hum...
- 4. Is This Love? by Whitesnake
Great Ballad. Great Band.
- 3. Perfect Strangers by Deep Purple
A Hard Rock Ballad. Only possible by this purple people...
- 2. I Want It All by Queen
The Rock Music of the 80's.
- 1. Who Wants To Live Forever by Queen
Just listen and enjoy the best band ever.
By: Terry Toste
- 10. Turning Japanese by The Vapors
I believe that the #10 spot should go to a one hit wonder band. This was a big hit, in the sense that everybody knows it.
- 9. Photograph by Def Leppard
This song remained a champ on Mtv's Friday Night Video Fights for awhile. It was knocked off by one band. That band holds the #5 spot.
- 8. I Go Crazy by Flesh For Lulu
Not another John Hughes movie! AAAAGGGGHHHHH!!!!! Great song though. Actually, I prefer Some Kind of Wonderful to Pretty in Pink.
- 7. Rock Box by Run DMC
These guys made Rap Music what it should be. Very fun lyrics.
- 6. Money for Nothing by Dire Straights
Who didn't own Brothers in Arms? Well, there were a few of you.
- 5. Panama by Van Halen
Van Halen is California Party Rock. 'Nuff Said!!!!!!
- 4. White Wedding by Billy Idol
The Alpha and Omega of 80's music. Case Closed.
- 3. True Faith by New Order
If you went to a dance club, you danced to New Order. This band is the godfather of modern dance music.
- 2. Cum On Feel the Noize by Quiet Riot
This band started big hair. Some of choose to look the other way, but they were influential to their cause. Remember the Merry Go Round stores?
- 1. I Wanna Be Sedated by The Ramones
Face it people, if it wasn't for the Ramones, we'd be listening to bands like Journey and Chigago. Rest in peace Joey. We miss you.
This top 10 list is hard to do. Okay, so you haven't heard of Flesh for Lulu, but I have and it's my list. I wish I had more room to mention Psychedelic Furs, Echo and the Bunnymen, the Replacements, Depeche Mode, the Clash, the Cars, Huey Lewis and the News, and Motley Crue. Long live the 80's.
By: Kerry F.
- 10. I Wanna Dance With Somebody by Whitney Houston
My favorite song as a child. I would dance in front of the tv with good ol' Whitney.
- 9. These Dreams by Heart
Wver tried to sing with that one?
- 8. Only The Young by Journey
- 7. Invisible Touch by Genesis (Phil Collins)
I love the "oh-oh-oh" part.
- 6. Always Something There To Remind Me by Naked Eyes
C'mon-- everybody knows this one.
- 5. Livin' On A Prayer by Bon Jovi
Nobody can ever compare..
- 4. Glory Days by Bruce Springsteen
Amazing. Just amazing.
- 3. Footloose by Kenny Loggins
Who doesn't dance to this one?
- 2. Vacation by Go-Go's
Vacation all I ever wanted...
- 1. Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Leppard
This song makes every girl turn into a stripper when it's played.
- 10. Boys Do Fall In Love by Robin Gibb
- 9. Boys Of Summer by Don Henley
- 8. How Soon Is Now by The Smiths
Used in the movie "The Wedding Singer".
- 7. Inside Out by The Mighty Lemon Drops
- 6. I Can Dream About You by Dan Hartman
Used in the movie "Streets Of Fire".
- 5. Neverending Story by Limahl
Soundtrack of the movie "Never Ending Story".
- 4. Everyday Is Like Sunday by The Smiths
Sounds like the blues but actually has a tinge of dark humor which is very characteristic of the band.
- 3. Heaven Knows by The Smiths
- 2. Russian Radio by Red Flag
Late 80s hit.
- 1. Love Is Reason by A-Ha
A little known hit song of A-Ha.
I Got My Mind Set On You - by George Harrison. Money, That's What I Want - by Flying Lizards
- 10. Close to Me by The Cure
- 9. Wake Me Up Before You Go Go by Wham!
- 8. You Spin Me Round by Dead Or Alive
- 7. Take On Me by A-ha
- 6. Domino Dancing by Pet Shop Boys
- 5. Ol´a Amour by Erasure
- 4. Karma Chameleon by Culture Club
Who doesn´t remember this song?
- 3. Like A Virgin by Madonna
- 2. Love Cats by The Cure
Another great band, and a good song :)
- 1. Do You Really Want To Hurt Me by Culture Club
A great song and a great band, the best of the 80´s, the beginning of the Pop music!
Great Site, thanks :)
By: Splash Marshall
- 10. Lets Go All The Way by Sly Fox
Air band heaven to this song.
- 9. I Wanna Be A Cowboy by Boys Don't Cry
I used to drive my mom nuts with this song. Now I drive my wife nuts with it. My daughter thinks it is great and she has good taste like her dad.
- 8. Talk Dirty To Me by Poison
One of the reasons I grew my hair! This is still one of my favorite songs to listen to regularly.
- 7. Destroyer by The Kinks
This song gives me extra oxygen!
- 6. Hit Me With Your Best Shot by Pat Benatar
I used to DJ my parent's house parties and this was a favorite to blast out.
- 5. Escape (Pina Colada Song) by Rupert Holmes
When I got this LP I must have played this song 20 times in a row.
- 4. Urgent by Foreigner
I bought the "4" record and wore it out learning all the drum parts.
- 3. Jesse's Girl by Rick Springfield
My love for bubblegum pop songs. This is pop music at its finest.
- 2. This Beat Goes On/Switchen To Glide by The Kings
I can't help tapping and singing along at the top of my lungs.
- 1. The Break Up Song by Greg Kihn Band
Ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah! I want to go back to grade 8! I loved grade 8, I was cute thin and good looking back then!
By: Teodor Todorov
- 10. Woman In Chains by Tears For Fears
- 9. Forever Young by Alphaville
- 8. Died in Your Arms Tonight by Chicago
The blazon of the pop-rock in the 80's.
- 7. Final Countdown by Europe
The famous hit of the greatest hard-rock band.
- 6. Jump In My Car by C. C. Catch
An amazing angel song, combining deep emotions with a sense of wild youth and freedom.
- 5. Windmill by Helloween
Fantastic song! Manful, sage and tender at the same time.
- 4. The Promise You Made by Cock Robin
An alien glamour that you rarely hear on earth. Why do people never become aware of the real thing ?!
- 3. Why Did You Do It Just Tonight ? by Modern Talking
The greatest romantic disco song ever existed.
- 2. Room With A View by Tony Carey
This song shattered and charmed me as soon as I heard it for the first time. Like a deep and distant magic that you run, run, run to...
- 1. Little Lies by Fleetwood Mac
I've never heard even a similar song in my whole life. You'd never forget it. It's from God. A word more would be a blasphemy...
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.