In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
By: R.J. Dub
- 10. What I Like About You by The Romantics
The best Rock n' Roll song from the 80s.
- 9. Everybody Wants To Rule The World/Shout by Tears For Fears
Two songs that I can listen to over and over.
- 8. Against All Odds by Phil Collins
If this song doesn't make you want to find a girl to dance with, nothing will...except maybe "Glory of Love"
- 7. Take On Me by A-ha
rad song, rad band, rad video.
- 6. Ain't Even Done With The Night by John Cougar
John Cougar is radical. I mean, John Cougar Mellencamp is radical. Or is it just John Mellencamp? (Confusing, isn't it?)
- 5. Glory Of Love by Peter Cetera
Greatest "Slow" Song Ever! If this doesn't want to make you find a girl to dance with, nothing will.
- 4. For The Longest Time by Billy Joel
I've liked this song since I was seven, so it must be pretty damn good.
- 3. Africa by Toto
You can almost picture yourself in Africa during this song...this song IS the 80s, man!
- 2. Come On Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners
Possibly the catchiest song of all time. How can you not love that banjo?!
- 1. Somebody's Baby by Jackson Browne
I haven't seen this on any other lists, but I love it just the same. Ever since I heard it on Fast Times, I've listened to it over and over.
The 80s had so many good pop songs...what happened to them after that?
By: Nicole Fuller
- 10. Nasty Boys by Janet Jackson
I used to love her, as you can tell
- 9. Cool It Now by New Edition
Remember those days?
- 8. Cassanova by LeVert
I just like the song, and I hope that's how you spell it.
- 7. Crush On You by The Jets
They were such a cute group of kids.
- 6. What Have You Done For Me Lately? by Janet Jackson
Something every lady should ask their loser of a man.
- 5. Walk Like An Egyptian by The Bangles
I know it doesn't fit with the other songs on my list, but hey, I'm multi-faceted... if that makes sense.
- 4. Love Is A House by Force MD's
- 3. Let's Wait A While by Janet Jackson
A great song with a great message.
- 2. Man In the Mirror by Michael Jackson
Very powerful at the time it came out.
- 1. Tender Love by Force MD's
It's a classic and I want to play this song at my wedding.
Hey, this list isn't permanent. I might remember another song ten minutes from now, but as for right now, this is my list. And hey, if you don't like my choices, give me some slack, I was born in 1984, so the 80's were a blurry period anyway! :)
- 10. Swimming Horses by Siouxsie & The Banshees
- 9. Fine Time by Yazz
- 8. Tristana by Mylene Farmer
- 7. Pandora by Cocteau Twins
- 6. Secret Land by Sandra
- 5. True Faith by New Order
- 4. True Colours by Cyndi Lauper
- 3. Genius Of Love by Tom Tom Club
- 2. Cantara by Dead Can Dance
- 1. Night Of The Swallow by Kate Bush
- 10. Golden Brown by The Stranglers
- 9. A Forest by The Cure
- 8. Gone... Like The Swallows by And Also The Trees
- 7. Assimilate by Skinny Puppy
- 6. The Sun And The Rainfall by Depeche Mode
- 5. The Jeweller by This Mortal Coil
- 4. Nightporter by Japan
- 3. Casting The Runes by The Legendary Pink Dots
- 2. Decades by Joy Division
- 1. Second Skin by The Chameleons
I've read the other lists and decided that there is an urgent need for some GOOD MUSIC around here, I mean, how mainstream can you get?? Anyway, I would like to add the 11th song which is "There is a light that never goes out" by the Smiths.
Queen deserve a mention because everything they do is great.
- 10. Queen Of Hearts by Juice Newton
Hello-it's Juice Newton
- 9. At This Moment by Billy Vera And The Beaters
I first heard this song on Family Ties (the Ellen/Alex breakup)and it's just a real nice slow song.
- 8. Power Of Love by Huey Lewis & The News
It's first a classic because of the infamous Back to the Future. But also, Huey Lewis is the best.
- 7. Ice Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice
(Maybe cutting it too close to the 90s)I am the loser you see singing along with this classic. I still know all the words (and dance moves)
- 6. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper
Literally the first tape I ever got. I would skip around my basement to this song!
- 5. Material Girl by Madonna
Every single person in my elementary school (including the boys) knew all the words.
- 4. Out Of The Blue by Debbie Gibson
In the video, she had her jeans all ripped up over her knees--the best fashion trend my mom never let me do.
- 3. I Think We're Alone Now by Tiffany
Even though I'm more partial to Debbie Gibson, this one just won out.
- 2. Uptown Girl by Billy Joel
One of the first cassettes I ever got. I still listen to it full volume in my car.
- 1. Jessie's Girl by Rick Springfield
- 10. Set On You by George Harrison
- 9. Love Will Find A Way by Yes
- 8. Heaven by Bryan Adams
- 7. Self Control by Laura Brannigan
- 6. Boom, Boom, Boom by Paul Lekakis
Awesome song, still listen to it now and then...
- 5. Renegades by Soul Sonic Force
- 4. Pass The Dutchie by Musical Youth
- 3. Keep Me Hanging On by Kim Wilde
Awesome rollerskating song...
- 2. Walking In LA by Missing Persons
Even though I wasn't too much into New Wave, I had such a crush on Dale.
- 1. Boulevard Of Broken Dreams by Hanoi Rocks
- 10. Talk Dirty To Me by Poison
What Guy couldn't relate to this song?
- 9. Heaven by Bryan Adams
The best song he ever wrote.
- 8. Danger Zone by Kenny Loggins
Top Gun soundtrack.
- 7. You Were Always On My Mind by Pet Shop Boys
Remake of Willie Nelson's hit, except with an up-tempo dance beat.
- 6. Animal by Def Leppard
Silly fun 80's rock.
- 5. Walk This Way by Aerosmith and Run DMC
Hard Rock and Rap with a little Hey Deedle Deedle.
- 4. Don't Worry Be Happy by Bobby McFerrin
I'm sure a lot of people forgot about this one ... but say these 4 simple words and I'm sure that infectious beat will be in your head for the day.
- 3. Every Breath You Take by The Police
- 2. Take On Me by A-ha
Still trying to get this one on my cellphone. Made big hair look cool!
- 1. With Or Without You by U2
Hey what can you say ... it's U2! the band that changed rock forever with inspired writing and innovative tunes!
- 10. Kidney Bingoes by Wire
Meaningless lyrics never sounded so pretty. Liked their older stuff too, but this one's my favorite.
- 9. They Don't Know by Tracey Ullman
Kirsty MacColl was a hell of a singer and songwriter, but Peter Collins' production here beats her original. Currently "our song" (yeah, I know - ick).
- 8. We Close Our Eyes by Go West
I was fascinated by this video as a young 'un. New wave Motown.
- 7. Airwaves by Thomas Dolby
Got the Golden Age of Wireless album on the basis of the twice-hourly showing of "She Blinded Me With Science", and fell in love with this ballad.
- 6. Pale Shelter by Tears for Fears
A great song to listen to you when you're fifteen and "no one understands you". Another nifty video - I enjoyed watching Roland get hit in the eye with a paper airplane, and seeing the alligator catch the flying guitar (trust me).
- 5. Cars by Gary Numan
I have about 100 albums by Gazza, and some of them are flatout awful, but he still intrigues me. I must have heard this song about 2000 times, and I'm still not sick of it, which warrants its inclusion here.
- 4. Close (To The Edit) by Art Of Noise
- 3. Is There Something I Should Know? by Duran Duran
Style vs substance, but hey, maybe they can just be friends. One of these days I'll figure out the video...
- 2. I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man by Prince
From my favorite album of all time (Sign O the Times), Prince writes a thoughtful song about getting picked up. Go figure.
- 1. Wouldn't It Be Good by Nik Kershaw
Not much of a hit here stateside (#46), but those who loved it, loved it well. Excellent song, excellent production.
By: solange cavalcante
- 10. Billie Jean by Michael Jackson
W canīt forget our favorite pop star!
- 9. ETīs Theme by Ignored
Iīve seen the film about 20 times!
- 8. Somebody's Watching Me by Rockwell
- 7. Borderline by Madonna
It seemed Madonna was starting something.
- 6. Started With A Kiss by Hot Chocolate
another high school story. How fool we were!
- 5. Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic by The Police
It made up all young people minds here in Brazil in the beginning of the eighties.
- 4. Itīs Raining Again by Supertramp
it sounds like a high school song. Lovely.
- 3. Susana by The Art Company
It seems we all were there at the studio when they recorded this song. Everyone seems pathetic when is in love.
- 2. I Wonīt Let You Down by PhD
The video was astonishing.
- 1. Sexual Healing by Marvin Gaye
how can we forget Gayeīs whisperings "get up, get up, get up"? oh, wow.
- 10. In The Air Tonight by Phil Collins
At first listening, a very boring song, but get into it, you'll find that this is a very deep and emotional track which can put you through "stages".
- 9. Everybody Have Fun Tonight by Wang Chung
This has to be one of the greatest party songs ever! I still "wang Chung".
- 8. Flashdance by Irene Cara
A good song from a movie that was the "Striptease" of the 80's.
- 7. New Attitude by Patti Labelle
I like this one.
- 6. She Works Hard For The Money by Donna Summers
It's a song about "working" women, what could be greater. ;)
- 5. When Doves Cry by Prince
This song gave my bed alot of action.
- 4. Party All The Time by Eddie Murphey
Betcha didn't know he could sing.
- 3. Billie Jean by Michael Jackson
It's Michael Jackson. Every song of his is good.
- 2. Danger Zone by Kenny Loggins
One of Kenny Loggins best songs, with enough full-power to make this still a classic.
- 1. Flashbeagle by Desiree Goyette and Ed Bogas
Yep, back in 1984, there was a special about snoopy being an ordinary dog in the day time, and a hyperactive club dancer in night. The story was done, but the song is one of the greatest in 80's. I still got the words stuck in my head.
Too bad these are called "classics" now. It seems like only yesterday that these songs were being played on the radio.
By: Doc Biz
- 10. Heaven by Bryan Adams
Reminds me of the Summer of 87'. Those were the days!
- 9. You Might Think by The Cars
I'm feeling nostalgic.
- 8. Here I Go Again by Whitesnake
I love you Tawny!
- 7. Land Of Confusion by Genesis
Loved the video
- 6. Against All Odds by Phil Collins
- 5. 867-5309 Jenny by Tommy Tutone
EVERYONE that remembers the 80's remembers THIS song!
- 4. One by Metallica
The 1st Metallica song I ever heard.
- 3. Heart Needs A Second Chance by .38 Special
I'm in tears over here.
- 2. One Night In Bangkok by Murray Head
This is cheesy but it is THE 80's song!
- 1. Open Arms by Journey
You don't ever have to admit that this song makes you all mushy.
Stormtroopers of Death (SOD) didn't make my list...sorry if Lance Levish ever reads this.
By: Lauren Waffle
- 10. Wake Me Up (Before You Go-go) by Wham!
- 9. Every Breath You Take by The Police
- 8. I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight by Cutting Crew
- 7. Talking In Your Sleep by The Romantics
- 6. I Ran by A Flock Of Seagulls
- 5. Safety Dance by Men In Hats
- 4. Juke Box Hero by Foreigner
- 3. Total Eclipse Of The Heart by Bonnie Tyler
- 2. 867-5309/Jenny by Tommy Tutone
Every once in awhile, it's fun to dial up that number with a random area code. You should try it. P.S. ask for Jenny.
- 1. Ghostbusters by Ray Parker, Jr.
C'mon, everyone knows this song! The theme song from the top movie of 1984, Ghostbusters. The tune is so catchy.
- 10. Greatest Love Of All by Whitney Houston
Her best song... Melody is better than lyrics that are kind of forced but nevertheles great...
- 9. Hold Me Now by Johnny Logan
From Eurovision Song Contest... Great Song...
- 8. True by Spandau Ballet
Their best work by far...
- 7. Shine On by House Of Love
She she she shined on... Catchy melody, very powerfull...
- 6. Enola Gay by OMD
OMD is great band from 80's... This song is just great...
- 5. Forever Young by Alphaville
Great lyrics, great melody from relatively unknown band...
- 4. The Winner Takes It All by ABBA
Early 80's in their best... ABBA is the winner...
- 3. Kingston Town by UB40
You can just feel summer in this outstanding reggae song...
- 2. Brothers In Arms by Dire Straits
Best song about the war...
- 1. Lady in Red by Chris de Burgh
The best love song ever made...
80's music is the BEST!
- 10. Ideologia by Cazuza
The best of 80's rock here in Brazil... Unforgetable song
- 9. New Years Day by U2
- 8. Everybody Wants To Rule The World by Tears For Fears
One of the amazing songs of this band.
- 7. Total Eclipse Of The Heart by Bonnie Tyler
- 6. Wicked Game by Chirs Isaac
- 5. Sunday Morning by Bolshoi
- 4. Ordinary World by Duran Duran
- 3. Enjoy The Silence by Depeche Mode
- 2. Take On Me by A-ha
This song is the 80's anthem!!!
- 1. Hunting High And Low by A-ha
By: John Keown
- 10. Tour de France by Kraftwerk
- 9. Einstein A Go Go by Landscape
- 8. Smalltown Boy by Bronski Beat
Very sad song.
- 7. Electricity by OMD
- 6. Broken Wings by Mr. Mister
- 5. Wishing by A Flock Of Seagulls
An excellent song by a very underrated group.
- 4. Down Under by Men At Work
Guaranteed to cheer you up.
- 3. Blue Monday by New Order
Joy Division/New Order their stuff is terrific.
- 2. The Race by Yello
An absolute work of art by the swiss masters
- 1. The Model/Computer Love by Kraftwerk
Quite simply the most influential group of all time.
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.