In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
By: Wim Peeters
- 10. Mercedes Boy by Pebbles
- 9. I Can't Wait by Nu Shooz
tune that keeps on lingering into 2002
- 8. Circle In The Sand by Belinda Carlisle
- 7. You Keep Me Hangin' On by Kim Wilde
100% energy !!! well deserved USA no 1
- 6. Love Bites by Def Leppard
- 5. Superwoman by Karyn White
- 4. Cherish by Madonna
pure romance & happy feeling
- 3. Careless Whisper by George Michael
- 2. Straight Up by Paula Abdul
best video ever !!! i'm still awaiting release of dvd in Belgium
- 1. Against All Odds by Phil Collins
most romantic song ever
By: Chino F.
- 10. Appetite by Prefab Sprout
One of the softer songs I like, it has great lyrics, and a very unique melody and hook.
- 9. Asia by Mo
Where did this band go? Their song was so nice and they sang about my region - Asia. I love the instrumentation!
- 8. Feels Like Heaven by Fiction Factory
One of the landmark songs of New Wave, it's piano tune is so strikingly poignant.
- 7. Doctor Doctor by Thompson Twins
Doctor, help, I can't stop dancing, yyyyeeeeaaahh!
- 6. You're My Heart, You're My Soul by Modern Talking
Another great product of Europe! The German masters of Eurodance! These guys made great melodic disco in the 80's.
- 5. Message of Love by Steve Allen
A rare hit, whose sombre, melancholic yet lovely sound flows smoothly throught my ears.
- 4. Too Many Broken Hearts by Jason Donovan
Just too many songs don't sound as good as this song. Great to sing to someone who you think doesn't appreciate you.
- 3. First Picture Of You by Lotus Eaters
Sheer delight, melody and climactic energy all in one song.
- 2. A Dream (Dumio) by Robert Grace
One of the most enjoyable Euro or Italo Dance hits ever.
- 1. Whatever Possessed You (12 inch) by Care
One of the most beautiful and most melodious songs ever made. Care's Diamonds and Emeralds is the best album I ever heard.
I love the 80's! Goodness gracious, doesn't anybody like good music these days?
By: zena a
- 10. All This Love by Debarge
this guys voice reminds me of butter.soooooo smooooooth!
- 9. Love Is A Battlefield by Pat Benatar
- 8. Time (Clock Of My Heart) by Culture Club
- 7. Somebody by Brian Adams
- 6. The Sun Always Shines On TV by A-ha
great summer hit
- 5. Thriller by Michael Jackson
i watched the film and listened to this a trillion times
- 4. Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Leppard
anybody wanna rock?
- 3. Separate Ways by Journey
one of the best of all time
- 2. Love Walks In by Van Halen
check that growlll
- 1. View To A Kill by Duran Duran
makes me wish i was still in the eighties
By: Allison Osbourne
I was made in the 80's therefore the 80's rock
By: Mad Mac
- 10. Oh, Girl by Boy Meets Girl
What an amazing song!! It received good airplay, but not like Waiting For A Star To Fall.
- 9. So In Love by OMD
The first of a string of Top 40 hits. Dreaming was right behind this one, though it charted so much higher.
- 8. Take On Me by A-Ha
Didn't the video make you fall in love with this song? And the actress was gorgeous, but not like the supermodels in later videos.
- 7. Where The Streets Have No Name by U2
So very Spiritual, and really showcases the group's talent, which wasn't there in the beginning.
- 6. True by Spandau Ballet
A little sappy, but it flows so well. Honorable mention for Gold, Lifeline, Heaven Is A Secret.
- 5. In A Big Country by Big Country
There's just something about the talent needed to play bagpipes.
- 4. Alive And Kicking by Simple Minds
I like all their music, but this one in concert is phenomenal!!
- 3. Tenderness by General Public
A staple for many mid-80's movies, catchy tune, great lyrics.
- 2. Year Of The Knife by Tears For Fears
It rocks with the best of them, and very highly underrated. Not released as a single, but Sowing The Seeds Of Love was and it underscores that this is one powerful Concept Group, like Pink Floyd and Rush.
- 1. Pride (In The Name Of Love) by U2
I first saw this group in 1981 at a church in G.R. MI. Bad, 4th of July, A Sort Of Homecoming, The Unforgettable Fire, what an awesome album!!!
- 10. I Will Follow by U2
- 9. Centerfold by J. Geils Band
The coolest song and music video!
- 8. Panama by Van Halen
Van Halen's second best song!
- 7. Jump by Van Halen
Van Halen's best song!
- 6. Our House by Madness
Funny music video!
- 5. Grey Day by Madness
Cool song and music video!
- 4. Don't You Want Me by Human League
Awesome music video!
- 3. Out Of Touch by Hall And Oates
Hall and Oates' best song!
- 2. Take On Me by A-Ha
Cool music video!
- 1. Shake It Up by The Cars
Cool song! Awesome music video!
80's music are the BEST!!!!!
By: Larry Burns
- 10. Motortown by The Kang Gang
Totally class tune also had another big hit "Closest thing to heaven" a very big hit at the time
- 9. Captain Of Her Heart by Double
Certainly a one hit wonder but worthy of an top ten slot without question
- 8. Maria Magdelena by Sandra
Our heart-trob girl of the 80s broke my heart when she had an affair with ex-Everton player Gary Stevens
- 7. Hey Matthew by Karla Freklina
Czech singer with one of the best ever-its all a game i hope
- 6. Driving Away From Home by Its Inmaterial
How original and lifeless
- 5. Town To Town by Microdisney
Shes nervous and her best friend is waiting shes trying to pronounce my name
- 4. Sit And Wait by Sydney Youngblood
All we can do is sit and wait for Sydney to return
- 3. Shake Your Love by Debbie Gibson
Big hit back in the late 80s when Debbie herself was only a nipper
- 2. Part Time Lover by Stevie Wonder
His best song without a doubt
- 1. Hang The DJ by The Smiths
Such a through song if you think there are no 80s involved
I Know what your thinking but the 80s would be nothing without these songs-absolutely CLASS!! Whos needs U2,Madonna,Prince etc when you have these tunes.
- 10. Drive by The Cars
Anything from the Cars is a true example of any 80's music. Still love them.
- 9. One Night In Bangkok by Murray Head
- 8. Eyes Without A Face by Billy Idol
So different to the rest of his songs......
- 7. Africa by Toto
What can I say? Everyone else has spoken for me on this song.
- 6. Against All Odds by Phil Collins
Love this guy, hard choice but this is my fav of his.
- 5. Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd
Another one of their masterpieces, I could go on all day about these guys......
- 4. Learning To Fly by Pink Floyd
Reminds me of when I was learning to fly and I can relate to this song.
- 3. Big Log by Robert Plant
hasn't had much recognition. Good sounds if you like a bit of Bass.
- 2. Money For Nothing by Dire Straits
Why hasn't anyone given these guys the recognition they deserve? The video clip was cool in the eightees with all that neon! (Even if it was released in '88)
- 1. Shine On You Crazy Diamond (parts I-v) by Pink Floyd
No matter how many times I listen to it, it NEVER gets stale!
Couldn't decide between Pink Floyd / Dire Straits / The Cars as the fav 80's band. Love them all. I could be talking for quite a few people when I say; How do you rank/decide on which when there is sooooo many to chose from? I'll look back at this in a couple of months and I can gurantee my opinions WOULD of changed! But hey, great site for the people who lived in the 80's and for the younger generation to have a laugh at us. ;)
By: Reverend Flash
- 10. Spies Like Us by Paul McCartney
To quote a New York deejay, "'Hey Jude' it ain't", but it was still a cool enough track to give Paul McCartney his last solo top ten hit of the century. Generally conjures up images of Dan Aykroyd and Chevy Chase in parkas.
- 9. Obsession by Animotion
I was stalking when stalking wasn't cool - and this was the tune that kept me focused. (Originally recorded a year before by Holly Knight and Michael DesBarres for the film 'A Night in Heaven'.)
- 8. Life In A Northern Town by The Dream Academy
Produced by Pink Floyd's David Gilmour, this song would always have its Beatles line updated by me as 'In Autumn 1983, it felt like the world would freeze, with Yasir's Tripoli, and McCartney (Say say say...).'
- 7. Manic Monday by The Bangles
Written under a pseudonym by the man I put at #1, this song suprisingly did not make a lot of other people's lists.
- 6. Medley 1 by Stars on 45
This Beatles tribute kept George, Paul, and Ringo's tribute to John ('All Those Years Ago') from reaching number one!
- 5. The Power Of Love by Huey Lewis And The News
Marty McFly's band (The Pinheads) start playing this song in 'Back to the Future' when they audition for the school talent show. Unfortunately, a teacher, played by Huey Lewis himself, cuts the band off telling them they're just 'too darn loud'.
- 4. Don't You (Forget About Me) by Simple Minds
I like the part in the video where the camera pans across the room, and lead singer Jim Kerr shows up in multiple places. Look carefully, and you can see his shadow bolt out of the way right after his body is out of frame.
- 3. Careless Whisper by Wham!
The first inkling that George would be moving on is that 'featuring' credit - a trick that would be copied by Gloria Estefan and Patty Smythe.
- 2. Everybody Wants To Rule The World by Tears For Fears
Remixed and retitled a year later as 'Everybody Wants To RUN The World'.
- 1. When Doves Cry by Prince And The Revolution
Supposedly, there's no bass guitar in this song. The Monkees used no bass guitar in their song 'Let's Dance On'. Then when Prince put out a song called 'Dance On', he opened it by saying 'There's a bass guitar in this'. Coincidence...?
Honorable mentions: 'All Those Years Ago', 'Always On My Mind', 'The Beatles Movie Medley'
- 10. Stripped by Depeche Mode
- 9. Romantic Traffic by The Spoons
- 8. Video Killed The Radio Star by The Buggles
- 7. Ship Of Fools by Erasure
I like it .
- 6. What Is Love ? by Howard Jones
Hey , coevals , may be someone have undertood this ?
- 5. Sun Always Shines On TV by A-ha
... and we see it .
- 4. Such A Shame by Talk Talk
One from the 80's greatest bands .
- 3. Long Goodbye by Thompson Twins
It's like long goodby with 80's .
- 2. Send Me An Angel by Real Life
... right now .
- 1. Fade To Grey by Visage
I love all their songs , but this is something incredible ...
I have to mention Missing Persons , ABC , Berlin...
By: Ted P
- 10. Wishing (Had A Photograph Of You) by Flock Of Seagulls
- 9. Woudn't It Be Good by Nik Kershaw
- 8. The Flame by Cheap Trick
- 7. Holly-Ann by Boston
anything off 3rd stage is good
- 6. Only Time Will Tell by Asia
- 5. Limelight by Rush
ugly but good
- 4. We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions by Queen
- 3. Be Good To Yourself by Journey
maybe if we all pray they will get back together----
- 2. Angel by Aerosmith
best song second--aerosmith rocks--go steve
- 1. Where The Streets Have No Name by U2
best song ever--u2 rocks--go bono
By: Angela Myers
- 10. Jump by Van Halen
David Lee Roth was good for Van Halen even though he got kicked out. But so did Sammy Hagar. Van Halen is nothing without Dave or Sammy. I think both the guys are even, they just need to learn to get along(grow up).
- 9. Every Rose Has It's Thorn by Poison
Excellent song, one of Poisons best.
- 8. I Saw Red by Warrant
I love this song, it is one of Warrants greatest slow songs.
- 7. Easy Come Easy Go by Winger
I like this song because it rocks!
- 6. High Enough by Damn Yankees
This is a really good song, it's a great ballad.
- 5. Rock You Like A Hurricane by Scorpions
I am so addicted to this song that I have to listen to it atleast once every day.
- 4. In The Still Of The Night by Whitesnake
David Coverdale made this song sound excellent. Not to mention that he's cute too.
- 3. Magic Touch by Aerosmith
This is one of the best songs on the album Permanent Vacation, and one of my many favorites.
- 2. November Rain by Guns N' Roses
I never thought that this band could do a slow song until I heard this and just fell in love with it. Plus Axl Rose looked hot in the video. The 80's was all about hot guys.
- 1. Angel by Aerosmith
Steven Tyler was absolutely hot in this video and this was the first video that turned me on to Aerosmith the greatest band ever.
Aerosmith is the greatest band ever, their concerts are always great too. I don't care how old Steven Tyler and Joe Perry get, they will always be the most sexiest men on Earth to me. 80's was all about the hot men and their wonderful music.
By: Fouad Alkhamy
- 10. Memory by Savatage
A must be heard peice of music.
- 9. Gutter Ballet by Savatage
Best of savatage songs.
- 8. Wrathchild by Iron maiden
The best paul Di'anno song I've heard in my life.
- 7. The Number Of The Beast by Iron Maiden
- 6. For Whom The Bell Tolls by Metallica
- 5. Screaming For Vengance by Judas Priest
An 80's best of list won't be complete without Judas priest and that is the best of what I can remember
- 4. One by Metallica
- 3. Hangar 18 by Megadeth
That's one speak for itself and need no introduction
- 2. Metal Militia by Metallica
The most intense heavy metal song you can hear,I dare you to stand still while hearing it,a blast!
- 1. Aces High by Iron Maiden
It was one of these few songs which is a true all time classic a real blast the fastest heavy metal song on earth!God bless iron maiden [well that's not strictly true which bring us to...
Well,that was my best of the 80s songs.[Notes:that list is advised for metalheads only,especially nu-metalers just to give them a real taste of what heavy metal is about]
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.