In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
- 10. Moving Pictures (album) by Rush
Probably the most canonical statement of 80s progressive rock, and it was at the beginning of the decade.
- 9. Our House by Madness
Just silly fun. :o)
- 8. One Night in Bangkok by Murray Head
I still remember giggling in guilty pleasure at the host of double-entendres in this song. Had no idea it was about chess.
- 7. Orinoco Flow by Enya
Yes all her songs sound essentially the same, but that doesn't really matter because it's all good.
- 6. Any Song By by Stevie Nicks
Ya just can't help but love the Welsh Witch!
- 5. Dangerous by Roxette
I knew this girl... :o)
- 4. The Search Is Over by Survivor
This song's magic continues to outlast the relationship I dedicated it to...
- 3. Owner Of A Lonely Heart by Yes
Resurgence of a band thought long dead, and a quantum leap for progressive music in the 80s. Really the whole 90125 album...
- 2. The Touch by Stan Bush
From "The Transformers Movie" soundtrack. Anthem of all heroic struggles everywhere.
- 1. Neverending Story by Limahl
This movie affected so many of my friends...
Is it just me, or was there a period between 1981 and 1988 where you could turn on the radio and ANYTHING you heard was good? That time has gone, it seems.
By: Viseur Olivier
- 10. Livin' On A Prayer by Bon Jovi
- 9. Pump Up The Jam by Technotronic
it was a new song at the end of the decade
- 8. The Edge Of Heaven by Wham!
- 7. Do You Really Want To Hurt Me by Culture Club
Original and funny
- 6. Endless Love by Diana Ross & Lionel Richie
- 5. When Doves Cry by Prince
The song shows Prince's talent
- 4. The Creatures Of The Night by Laura Barnigan
I love it
- 3. Say You Say Me by Lionel Richie
what a nice slow
- 2. Billie Jean by Michael Jackson
the king of the decade
- 1. Let Love Rule by Lenny Kravitz
it's not a big hit but a wonderful song! a great artist was born
- 10. Broken Wings by Mr. Mister
For some reason this song and YOUR LOVE by the Outfield got me through slinging burgers.
- 9. Crazy For You by Madonna
Her first hit ballad....those first slow dances in high school.
- 8. The Sun Always Shines On Tv by A-ha
Somebody already mentioned Take on Me. This one was just as good to me.
- 7. Never Surrender by Corey Hart
It was either this or Sunglasses at Night. The songs are worthy of mentioning. This song gave me hope in those dark teenage moments.
- 6. Blister In The Sun by Violent Femmes
Loved listening to this at frat parties.
- 5. Pretty In Pink by Psychedelic Furs
Loved this song before the movie. The soundtrack to the movie is so cool.
- 4. Tainted Love by Soft Cell
When I first heard this one, it seemed so different from what was on the radio.
- 3. Call Me by Blondie
I think I had aspirations of being a gigolo. Just had to put a Blondie song in here. Remember the early 80's?
- 2. New Year's Day by U2
Powerful! I think it may have been the first U2 song i remember hearing on the radio. We had one alternative station where i grew up. Thank God they played this....it never made the local mainstream radio.
- 1. Here Comes The Rain Again by Eurythmics
Beware of 1st loves!
The 80's brought me from junior high through college. I turn 35 this year (2002). This music makes me feel like i'm 17 again. Sorry Annie Lennox! These aren't in any order...it's so hard to choose my favorites.
- 10. Rock On by Michael Damien
This song always reminds me of the movie "Dream a Little Dream"---and that in turn reminds me of "the Corey's", love love loved Mr. Feldman!
- 9. We Didn't Start the Fire by Billy Joel
I remember listening over and over to this song to learn the words to this song. It's a great history lesson for all those non-80's kids now!
- 8. You Spin Me Around by Dead Or Alive
- 7. Danger Zone by Kenny Loggins
- 6. Boys Of Summer by Don Henley
- 5. Fight For Your Right by Beastie Boys
- 4. In Your Eyes by Peter Gabriel
From one of the BEST 80's movies--"Say Anything"
- 3. Raspberry Beret by Prince
This was the song that made me fall in love with everything prince...i can still picture my mom cringing from the years from then on!
- 2. Take On Me by Ah-Ha
- 1. Red Red Wine by UB40
- 10. The Goonies R Good Enough by Cyndi Lauper
I loved this movie and I loved this song it was so 80's
- 9. Summer Of 69 by Brian Adams
this song reminds me of 1985 when I first heard it ahhhhhhh those were the best days of my life!!!!
- 8. Glory Days by Bruce Springsteen
A great song play it loud over a few beers with your mates and remember the old days
- 7. When The Going Gets Tough The Tough Get Going by Billy Ocean
a great 80's song
- 6. Holiday by Madonna
- 5. Walking On Sunshine by Katrina And The Waves
I love this song did they ever make any other songs???
- 4. Come On Eileen by Dexys Midnight Runners
what would a 21st party be without this classic
- 3. Down Under by Men At Work
our unoffical national anthem and one of the best songs ever written
- 2. Into The Groove by Madonna
what a classic this is, without a doubt one of the many oustanding songs from madonna during the 80's
- 1. Living On A Prayer by Bon Jovi
one of the best songs ever IMO love to play this loud
By: Jay 1982
- 10. The Promise by When In Rome
One of those one-hit-wonders yet the song is really good, reminds me of my ex-girlfriend hahaha I use to drag race at the track playing this song loud in my car....lol
- 9. Shout by Tears For Fears
I don't know why this song came to mind all of a sudden....just one of those things....
- 8. Send Me An Angel by Real Life
This beat always gets me going everyday.....Gets my adrenaline up for some reason...hahaha it's gotta be that ladee in the backgroup singing, OOOO OOOooo oooooo
- 7. I Ran by A Flock Of Seagulls
The beat is just absolutely catchy......I love it....
- 6. Always Something Out There To Remind Me by Nakes Eyes
How many times did I play this song when I broke up with my Girlfriend? Hahahahhahaha......
- 5. Try Walking In My Shoes / People Are People by Depeche Mode
Again, some of the best songs by Depeche Mode
- 4. Blasphemous Rumors / Shake The Diesease by Depeche Mode
Depeche Mode was played over and over and over while my mom was raising me, I remember the lyrics as I grew older, my mom and her brothers loved this Group! I love em now as well....
- 3. Love My Way / Pretty In Pink by Psychedelic Furs
These are the songs that my uncles use to play all the time while growing up.....these both grew on me, and I love this bands lead singer!! GREAT VOICE
- 2. Just Like Heaven / Friday I'm In Love by The Cure
(Just Like Heaven) All time favorite, the girls just absolutely loves it when I play this in my car..hahaha (Friday I'm in Love) I always play this song every Friday, how can I help but scream out the window, FRIDAY, IM IN LOOOOOOOOOOVE!!!!!!
- 1. 1963 / Bizzare Love Triangle by New Order
(1963) This reminds me of my life spent in California with my mom while being raised....remember it being played...(Bizzare Love Triangle) My uncles just loved this song....It grew on me.....Gosh, brings back memories
This is a great service, I got a lot of old songs that I forgot about, however only being 20 I was born in 1982, my mom her sister and brothers (6 in all) All loved the 80's, and now so do I. When I was growing up, I hated listening to them, about the age of 16 I started getting into it a lot. I just simply want to go back in time and live in that time period where everything was innocent, now and days everyone plays rap, etc. I try to keep it real by playing 80's granted I am a product of the 80s myself! What's funny is my mom still has all her old tapes and refuses to by a CD player because she can't listen to all her old tapes, ahahah some of those tapes have been around when I was in Diapers!!!! 80s RULE!!!!!
By: Phil Doyle
- 10. Love Bites by Def Leopard
Great rock song of the 80's, it deserved to be in the top 10.
- 9. New Sensation by INXS
One of the best bands in history let alone the 80's.And this song is in my opinion thier best.
- 8. Downunder by Men at work
Whats an 80's top 10 without this song,Australia's calling card, great song.
- 7. Hard Habbit To Break by Chicago
Well everyone puts a love song into their 10, well, this is my one.A very powerfull and emotional song.
- 6. Get Out Of My Dreams (Get Into My Car) by Billy Ocean
Liked this song ever since i was young.
- 5. Hungry Like A Wolf by Duran Duran
This song realy gets me going and the film clip is very 80's.
- 4. Glory Of Love by Peter Cetera
Great song,Reminds me of the movie Karate Kid which it was the sound track to.
- 3. Africa by Toto
Easily one of the best songs of the 80's never get sick of it.
- 2. When The Going Gets Tough by Billy Ocean
Reminds me of the 80's every time i hear it.
- 1. Electric Blue by Icehouse
Just sticks out in my mind as the best 80's song...loved it when i was young and still do.
Just outside the 10 are:11.If u leave me can i come to-Mental as anything,12.Bad Medecine-Bon Jovi,13.Take on me-Ah hah.
By: krystoff warzycha 13
- 10. Don't You Want Me by Human League
beautiful melody, very interesting lyrics. it needs a lot of inspiration to write for a quarrel of two ex-lovers.
- 9. La Isla Bonita by Madonna
at my humble opinion her best song, surely the one that reminds me of my childhood the most
- 8. Romantic World by Dana Dawson
not so sure if it belongs to the80's, but i love it still
- 7. Help by Bananarama
yes! i know it isn't theirs! i just happen to like this cover so much!
- 6. Ella Elle L'a by France Gall
a very good reason for me to learn french.too bad i haven't seen it in so many lists so far...
- 5. 2 Many Broken Hearts by Jason Donovan
this one also reminds me of my childhood. such a success in europe!
- 4. Electric Youth by Debbie Gibson
pretty stupid song but with an excelent melody and a long time ago forgotten innocence
- 3. Big In Japan by Alphaville
isn't it beautiful to have heard a song hundreds of times and loving it more and more?
- 2. A Night Like This by The Cure
"your trust the most gorgeously stupid thing i ever cut in the world". how can a choose a favourite song in 23 years of cyre history? just the first one that crossed my mind
- 1. Still Ill by The Smiths
what's all this frenitis with "how soon is now"? nothing else ever crossed the atlantic? such a shame, since this was one of the reasons for their breaking-up
thanks for creating this site. it helped me remember several songs a had long forgotten.songs from an era when singers didn't have to be pretty or handsome to make a career, when the MTV wouldn't play r'n'b all day long.
By: Grant Jones
- 10. Soldier of Love by ?
- 9. Let's Go Crazy by Prince
- 8. Love Bites by Def Leppard
- 7. Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic by Police
- 6. Toto by Rosanna
Not as notorious as Africa, but a far better song.
- 5. Livin' on a Prayer by Bon Jovi
- 4. One by Sunday Bloody Sunday
One of the bests from the best.
- 3. Cool Change by Little River Band
Just a great, slow song from a great band that is way underrated.
- 2. Thriller by Michael Jackson
The video and the song raised the bar for all songs and the importance of a music video.
- 1. Golden Country by REO Speedwagon
The live version of this song is by far the greatest rock song ever.
- 10. Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen
- 9. Time After Time by Cyndi Lauper
- 8. Sweet Dreams by Eurythmics
- 7. I Will Survive by Gloria Gainor
- 6. Take On Me by A-Ha
- 5. You're The Best Around by Karate Kid Theme Song
- 4. Love Shack by B52s
- 3. Always Something There to Remind Me by Naked Eyes
- 2. Dancing With Myself by Billy Idol
- 1. Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Leopard
- 10. Just Got Lucky by JoBoxers
Very similar to Dexy's Midnight Runners
- 9. In A Big Country by Big Country
Epitomy of early 80's.
- 8. Peepshow by Siouxsie and The Banshees
- 7. Head On by Jesus and The Mary Chain
This song made me feel bad-ass.
- 6. Happy Birthday by Concrete Blonde
A deeper and darker version of the traditional birthday song.
- 5. Boys Don't Cry by The Cure
Actually, any song by The Cure would suffice. I picked this one because it was fun to dance to in the school parking lot in high school, right before classes.
- 4. Carolyn's Fingers by Cocteau Twins
This song was fun to listen to on a sunny day trip to another college town and turned up really loud with the windows rolled down so that when people outside hear it, they have no idea what you're listening to because Elizabeth Fraser just insists on not making out the words in her lyrics. Just listen to the first sentence in this song!
- 3. Any song off MURMUR album by REM
This is THE ALBUM of the 80's.
- 2. Bizarre Love Triangle by New Order
The only song in the 80's that EVERYONE on the dance floor could sing and dance to at the same time...everyone.
- 1. How Soon Is Now by The Smiths
This is THE song of the 80's hands down. Morrissey FOREVER!
My list could have gone on and on. Quite frankly, I miss the 80's. I am glad I grew up in that era.
By: Michael Aiello
- 10. Tainted Love by Soft Cell
Sometimes I feel I've got to...(bam, bam)...runaway.
- 9. Footloose by Kenny Loggins
Fast paced dance groove.
- 8. I Just Called To Say I Love You by Stevie Wonder
The best love song from the 80s.
- 7. Forever Young by Rod Stewart
Just listen to it.
- 6. Everybody Wants To Rule The World by Tears For Fears
Chart toppers #1.
- 5. Free Fallin' by Tom Petty
The ultimate song writers best hit.
- 4. Africa by Toto
Smooth vocals with drums.
- 3. Every Breath You Take by The Police
Defines Sting's career.
- 2. Billie Jean by Michael Jackson
- 1. You Spin Me Round (Like A Record) by Dead or Alive
The ultimate dance song.
Best 80s artist? Michael Jackson. Period.
By: Jerry Peng
The 80's are the best.
- 10. Here Comes The Rain Again by Eurythmics
Someone said that Tears for Fears was the best duo to come out of the 80's NOT!! Annie and Dave were and this is just one of the songs that says it all
- 9. Reckless by Bryan Adams
The 1st Canadian to hit the million mark for number of albums sold...need I say more...
- 8. I Love Rock and Roll by Joan Jett and the Black Hearts
This was the title song for my 16th birthday! Ahhhh the momories
- 7. Living In Sin by Bon Jovi
Bon jovi was what happened when I grew up, moving on from Duran Duran and George Michael...there comes a time, when one must let da MAN take charge of your heart
- 6. Jessie Girl by Rick Springfield
I for one would've taken Rick Springfield over anyone else, but than that's just me....:)
- 5. Do They Know It's Christmas by Band Aid
Paul McCartney, Simon Le Bon, John Taylor and George Michael all in one...that and it's just the greatest song even now
- 4. The Worrior by Scandal with Patty Smyth
just a fun catchy tune period...
- 3. Hit Me With Your Best Shot by Pat Benatar
I was 12 yrs old when this song came out...it's the best! Ms. Benatar showed us all that women could rock like any man
- 2. Wild Boys/The Reflex by Duran Duran
Told you so!...They were wild2 me at least and not to mention the Kings of Video Wild Boys had it all for my tastes back than
- 1. Careless Whisper by Wham!
This was the song/video that brought me into the 80's b4 that, all I cared about was the Beatles... trust me, Duran Duran was soon to follow...
This has been great, though difficult to do... so many songs/artists and so little lists....
- 10. When You Close Your Eyes by Night Ranger
How can you not love a song that says "I remember we learned about love in the back of a Chevrolet?"
- 9. I Get Weak by Belinda Carlisle
"Just a kiss you could strip me defenseless." Not bad for an ex GOGO
- 8. Mercedes Boy by Pebbles
"Do you wanna ride?" Best song to jam to in the car with the girls!
- 7. In Your Eyes by Peter Gabriel
Can't stand anything he did except this song. WATCH SAY ANYTHING with John Cusack!
- 6. Electric Blue by Icehouse
"Are you hidin' somewhere behind those eyes?"
- 5. Make Me Lose Control by Eric Carmen
"Jennifer's singing stand by me and she knows every single word by heart!"
- 4. Buffalo Stance by Neneh Cherry
"No money man can win my love!"
- 3. How Can I Fall? by Breathe
"Give me time to care the moments here for us to share. Still my heart is not always there. What more can I say to you?"
- 2. I Know There's Something Going On by Frida
I hated this song until about a year ago and now I'm obsessed with it. "It won't be long before you're gone."
- 1. Piano in the Dark by Brenda Russell
"Silence is broken, no words are spoken...oh!"
Lovin Every Minute of It by Loverboy, Live To Tell by Madonna, Ride Like the Wind by Chrostopher Cross, Hands to Heaven by Breathe, and Sunglasses At Night by Corey Hart deserve to be up there also...I need a top 15! Take On Me by A-HA was the Best Video of the 80's EASILY! Listen to the hair bands...they were all great!
By: Gareth Muller
- 10. Shout by Tears For Fears
"Come on, I'm talkin to you come on!"
- 9. Crazy For You by Madonna
One of her earlier ballads, and has that early madonna sound
- 8. Love My Way by The Psychedelic Furs
One of the best chorus' ever. It just FEELS like the 80's doesn't it!
- 7. Just Like Heaven by The Cure
This still gets played at my place
- 6. I'll Remember by Madonna
From "With Honours" movie, just gives me the chills even now
- 5. Self Control by Laura Branigan
Her other hits (Gloria, Ti Amo, etc.), were just not as real, or as cool as this song
- 4. Sister Christian by Night Ranger
What a rockin chorus & solo!
- 3. Judas Priest by You Got Another Thing Coming
Not a huge fan, but this and "breaking the law" just plain rocked
- 2. The Message by Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five
This is early rap(maybe 80's), but what fantastic lyrics!
- 1. Out of Touch by Hall & Oates
This IS the 80's!, quick, simple, and impossible to forget pop hit
Although I was aged 2-12 in the 80's, I remember driving to school with my older brother and listened to music everyday. These songs are what I remember most, and some I still listen to today!
By: John FK
- 10. Dont You Forget About Me by Simple Minds
- 9. Goodbye Horses by Q Lazzarus
- 8. Rebel Yell by Billy Idol
- 7. Relax by Frankie Goes To Hollywood
- 6. Send Me An Angel by Reallife
- 5. Neverending Story by Lhamal
- 4. Call Me by Blondie
- 3. Kids In America by Kim Wilde
- 2. Underneath The Radar by Underworld
- 1. Planet Earth by Duran Duran
- 10. Careless Whisper by Wham
should've known better than to cheat a friend...
- 9. Stand Back by Stevie Nicks
in the middle of my room i did not hear from you...
- 8. Yaz by Move Out
don't mess around, you bring me down
- 7. I Can't Wait by Nu Shooz
tell me what is on your mind....
- 6. I Still Believe by Brenda K. Starr
someday you and me, will find ourselves in love again...
- 5. Little Red Corvette / When Doves Cry by Prince
couldn't decide between the two, they are both awesome, prince was awesome in the 80's...now he sux
- 4. Billie Jean by Michael Jackson
billie jean is not my lover, shes just a girl that thinks that i am the one....
- 3. We Don't Have To Take Our Clothes Off by Jermaine Stewart
we don't have to take our clothes off to have a good time...
- 2. Shattered Dreams by Johnny Hates Jazz
you keep giving me, giving me, nothing but shattered dreams, shattered dreams....
- 1. Burnin' Up by Madonna
don't put me off, cuz i'm on fire...
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.