In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
By: Dave Kostka
- 10. Turn Up The Radio by Autograph
How can you not reach for the volume every time you hear this song?
- 9. Home Sweet Home by Motley Crue
The first power ballad to become a big hit, paving the way for other hard rock bands to write power ballads. Thank you, Crue.
- 8. Our Lips Are Sealed by The Go-Go's
Without question, the greatest girl group ever. Their 2001 comeback album, "God Bless the Go-Go's", is actually the best stuff they've ever done.
- 7. You Give Love A Bad Name by Bon Jovi
In the video for this song, Jon Bon Jovi had the coolest hair of all-time. Bon Jovi was actually the first band I ever saw live, as the opening act for Ratt back in '85.
- 6. We're Not Gonna Take It by Twisted Sister
I think every kid who got into an argument with their parents in the mid '80s was just waiting for Twisted Sister to show up at their house and start kicking ass.
- 5. Summer Of '69 by Bryan Adams
Remember when Bryan Adams used to rock?
- 4. (You Can Still) Rock In America by Night Ranger
One of the most underrated bands of their era, Night Ranger remains one of my all-time favorites.
- 3. Jessie's Girl by Rick Springfield
It still sounds as good as it did 20 years ago. Hard to believe it's been 20 years already.
- 2. Lick It Up by Kiss
The beginning of the "unmasked" era meant a resurgence for the hottest band in the world.
- 1. Nothin' But A Good Time by Poison
The ultimate party anthem by the ultimate party band. "Nothin' But A Good Time" was to the '80s what "Rock N' Roll All Nite" was to the '70s.
There were so many great songs to come out of the '80s, it's very hard to narrow it down to ten. In the early '80s I was into top 40/pop, and then when I got into high school in the mid to late '80s I got more into hard rock/metal. I have tried to represent the best of both worlds on my top 10, but it leans more towards the hard rock/metal.
By: Cris Magsakay
- 10. Things Can Only Get Better by Howard Jones
- 9. Boys Do Fall In Love by Robin Gibb
- 8. Hold Me by Menudo
- 7. Borderline by Madonna
- 6. Take Me To Your Heart by Rick Astley
- 5. Lunatic by Gazebo
- 4. Baltimora by Tarzan Boy
- 3. The Promise by When In Rome
- 2. General Public by Tenderness
- 1. Bizarre Love Triangle by New Order
Dance away ...
There's a lot more to mention .... I LOVE THE 80'S!
- 10. Some Like It Hot by Robert Palmer
Gosh, I like most of his songs! Great beat!
- 9. Everybody Knows by Leonard Cohen
A true artist. Have you seen Pump Up The Volume?
- 8. Karma Chameleon by Culture Club
- 7. Big In Japan by Alphaville
Weird and funny little song! ^-^
- 6. Higher Love by Steve Winwood
Maybe one of the most popular song in the 80's.
- 5. We Belong by Pat Benatar
- 4. The Power of Love by Huey Lewis & The News
Takes me back to that night I went to the movies to see Back to the Future!
- 3. Don't Dream It's Over by Crowded House
A truly fantastic band. I just love them.
- 2. Don't Get Me Wrong by The Pretenders
- 1. Manic Monday by The Bangles
Such a great song! Moves me every time I listen to it.
I think I will always enjoy the good old songs of my teenage years! :)
By: Efe Egilmez
- 10. Englishman In New York by Sting
- 9. Scorpions by Holiday
Let me take you far away....
- 8. Wonderful Life by Black
- 7. You Give Love A Bad Name by Bon Jovi
The guy is still cool !
- 6. Lean On Me by Club Nouveau
We all need somebody to lean on....
- 5. Electric Youth by Debbie Gibson
Roller Skates and Disco's
- 4. Kiss by Prince
- 3. She's So Fresh by Kool And The Gang
Simply, this was banging out of our car stereos at 200W !
- 2. Against All Odds by Genesis / Phil Collins
Another big one ! You guys should watch the movie too !
- 1. Careless Whisper by Wham / George Michael
Come on, most of us made our first real love dance with this song ! So much to it ! Heartaches, tears and smiles...
If you are looking for Eurocharts ; especially the English ones, I have a collection over 400 songs on mp3...
By: Lori Chapman
- 10. Jukebox Hero by Foreigner
Yeah, sure, its very cheesy, but the right kind of cheesy!
- 9. Town Called Malice by The Jam
- 8. Talk Of The Town by The Pretenders
- 7. Sheila, Take A Bow by The Smiths
While I love '80's music and clothes, I have to admit it was a pretty depressing decade, as I was a teenager,and Reagan was Pres. This cheered me
- 6. Take My Heart by Kool & the Gang
An underrated classic!
- 5. Mirror In The Bathroom by The English Beat
- 4. Little Red Corvette by Prince
- 3. The Magnificent Seven by The Clash
- 2. Beyond Belief by Elvis Costello
- 1. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For by U2
I have loved and played this song for years and years and years and it never gets old!
- 10. Don't You Forget About Me by Simple Minds
Great song from great 80's movie.
- 9. Hungry Like The Wolf by Duran Duran
Second best 80's band next to Tears for Fears.
- 8. Careless Whispers by Wham
My favorite love/heartbreak song of the 80's.
- 7. Material Girl by Madonna
Song that gave her the nickname.
- 6. When Doves Cry by Prince
Besides MJ, the best performer of the 80's.
- 5. Sweet Dreams by Eurythmics
One of the first tapes I ever bought.
- 4. Jump by Van Halen
This song is 100% pure 80's fun.
- 3. Billie Jean by Michael Jackson
The best song off the most popular album ever.
- 2. Take On Me by A-Ha
This could easily be #1 as well.
- 1. Everybody Wants To Rule The World by Tears For Fears
The best song from the best band of the 80's!
- 10. Toy Soldiers by Martika
Has a special meaning and is not well known
- 9. Jack And Diane by John Mellencamp
The guy basically wrote the 80s.
- 8. Hole Hearted/More Than Words by Extreme
A great band...had amazing skills just didnt stay together....what ashame!
- 7. Your My Inspiration/Baby What A Big Surprise by Chicago
Quite possibly responsible for gettin most guys laid in the early 80's!
- 6. Take My Breath Away by Berlin
Top Gun....enough said!
- 5. Come On Eileen by Dexys Midnight Runners
The song is just addictive, and the video with the over-alls and the jug was a riot!
- 4. Easy Lover/Wish It Would Rain Down by Phil Collins
This guy is a musical genious.
- 3. Angel Eyes by Jeff Healy Band
Who doesnt like this? Timeless love song.
- 2. Heaven by Warrant
Great slow song, lots of felling in it.
- 1. To Be With You by Mr. Big
I can listen to this song for hours on end. And at every party its a sure fire hit, and all the chics dig it!
Poison - (Every Rose, Talk Dirty to me, Nothin But A Good Time)Tone Loc - (Wild Thing) Vanilla Ice - ( Ice Ice Baby) Sir Mix Alot - (Baby Got Back) Young MC - (Bust A Move) Dee Lite - (Groove Is In The Heart) RUN DMC, Roxette, Motley Crue, Skid Row,Styx, Tesla, Tom Petty, Def Leppard.....well those are most of my personal favorites. I was born in '82 so most of the 80's was spent learning to walk and poop indoors...but those songs stick out in my mind and I didnt see most of em listed at all...So they are now:D
- 10. Ornaments Of Gold by Siouxsie & The Banshees
- 9. Stripped by Depeche Mode
- 8. Edge Of A Deep Green Sea by The Cure
- 7. Rhapsody by Siouxsie & The Banshees
- 6. Love My Way by Psychedelic Furs
- 5. If You Leave by OMD
- 4. Face To Face by Siouxsie & The Banshees
- 3. Please, Please, Please by The Smiths
- 2. Apart by The Cure
- 1. Smuthered Hope by Skinny Puppy
- 10. Land Of Confusion by Genesis
Remember the video with the puppets???
- 9. Stone Cold by Rainbow
remember the falling ice?
- 8. Rock Of Ages by Def Leppard
What the beginning of "Pretty Fly For A White Guy" REALLY was supposed to be!
- 7. Crystal Ball by Styx
What a great song! "Crystal BA-Awllllll"
- 6. Reflex by Duran Duran
- 5. Save A Prayer by Duran Duran
Basically, almost all that they did was great!
- 4. Thriller by Michael Jackson
Great conceptual video, and back when Michael wasn't QUITE so strange!
- 3. Summer Of '69 by Bryan Adams
Back in the days of M-TV!! Great video, great song!
- 2. Love Somebody by Rick Springfield
Loved the whole albulm from the movie "Hard To Hold"
- 1. Talk Talk by Talk Talk
Great dance song, back in the days when repetition was KEY for the 80's!!
I work as a karaoke jock, and we have TONS of stuff from the 80's! http://www.knightshow.com Matt
- 10. Lover Why by Century
I learnt it as well, on the piano.
- 9. You're The Inspiration by Chicago
My brother, my sister and I were thrilled hearing this music. We all learnt to sing it. Funny thing : many years after I discovered a guy named David Foster. I really loved what this guy did until I learnt that Foster co-wrote "You're the Inspiration"...
- 8. La Isla Bonita by Madonna
My favourite one from Madonna, just before Like a prayer. This is definitely my ultimate Madonna's song.
- 7. There's No Stoppin' Us by Ollie & Jerry
Who saw the motion picture on breakdance called "Breakin'" starring Lucinda Dickey and Michael McDonald ? I learnt smurfing and breakdancing you know ? And this song was great !
- 6. I Won't Let You Down by PHD
A Classic in the 80's. And the only song I know from PHD. This song reminds me those days when I was ... very young. Man !
- 5. Can't Fight This Feeling by REO Speedwagon
This one shaked my older brother's heart. He played it over again and again and again and again. I was fed up !! But it is a good song !
- 4. One Night In Bangkok by Murray Head
Reminds me lot of things, when I was young :-( So many years ago...
- 3. That's What Friends Are For by John/Wonder/Warwick/Knight
Cheesy lines, but... The melody is great, and Wonder's harmonica is perfect
- 2. We Are The World by USA For Africa
Very beautiful song. It took me years to figure out that Lionel Richie and Michael Jackson were the writers, and that the musicians were among my favourites !
- 1. Africa by Toto
I can't remember when I first heard this song but this one moved me so much !
Many other great songs that I would mention here but it would take too long ! Just a question if somebody ever sees this line : I'm looking for all of the INSTRUMENTAL songs that have been produced in the 80's. Not Rock It, not Axel F but the others because I used to listen to them, and enjoyed them but I never knew the titles...
- 10. Life In A Northern Town by Dream Academy
Melodic, nostalgic and soothing.
- 9. Relax by Frankie Goes To Hollywood
- 8. Need You Tonight by INXS
INXS was an impressive contributer of 80s music: A definite high point of the decade's music industry.
- 7. I Ran by Flock of Seagulls
A defining song of the 80s: Another classic.
- 6. So Alive by Love and Rockets
The instrumental composition of this song is truly amazing. It conjures up emotion and inspires thought.
- 5. Don't You Forget About Me by Simple Minds
The classic which represents all of the hopes, dreams and angsts of a generation.
- 4. Major Tom (Coming Home) by Peter Schilling
Possesses a quality which renders it a classic. A truly fine example of the technological atmosphere of the decade.
- 3. Under The Milky Way by The Church
Once again, an excellent example of poetry in song.
- 2. Don't Dream It's Over by Crowded House
Pure Poetry, a myriad of inspiration for mental visualization!
- 1. I Am Human by The Smiths
Instrumentally and lyrically intoxicating!
This was a difficult endeavor to undertake; so many one could mention, yet trapped by the limitation of only a mere ten. Never-the-less, the opportunity was a nostalgic experience that, for but a moment, turned back the tides of time. My greatest thanks for allowing me to contribute.
By: Genita Love
- 10. Bringing Me Down by Bonham
Another hair metal goodie...this song just totally rocks out!
- 9. Can't Stand The Heartache by Skid Row
other than the singles that charted off Skid Row's first album, this is probably one that should've been released as a single..at least I think so! It's that good!
- 8. Never Enough by LA Guns
Off the Cocked and Loaded album (1989)...this song totally rocks out and reminds me of old Kiss....
- 7. More Than Words by Extreme
beautifully done accoustic peice..one of the songs that inspired me to want to learn how to play guitar...Too bad they didn't stay together...
- 6. Mean To Me by Crowded House
This has to be one of my two absolute all time favorites from the 80's...it's off Crowded House's first album..not one slop cut on the whole album...it still rocks!
- 5. Crazy Babies by Ozzy Osbourne
This was my party song and Theme Song durring the time it was in MTV's Headbanger's ball rotation...
- 4. Watching The Wheels by John Lennon
This is probably my all time favorite John Lennon solo song, other than "Just like Starting Over" and "Imagine"...and definitely my favorite John Lennon song from the 80's.
- 3. Photograph by Def Leppard
This was the song that initially got me into Def Leppard..Not only did the band turn in a truly memorable cut for Pyromania with this one- especially the guitar work between the late Steve Clark and guitar guru, Phil Collen..Even nearly twenty years later it still stands up well...
- 2. Heaven by Warrant
This was my first love's and my song when he and I were together..Guess it really is true about not forgetting one's first love....
- 1. Wind Beneath My Wings by Bette Middler
This song is special to me because it says everything I always wanted to say to my late Mom, Ina Genita Love (1917-1973)...other than "I love you and miss you, Mom!". She passed away due to a very rare form of brain cancer before I ever really got to know her...( I was 5 when she died.)She was truly the Wind Beneath my Wings...
By: Joseph Rose
- 10. You Give Love a Bad Name by Bon Jovi
- 9. Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Leppard
I remember being in 11th grade, when this song and the whole album really took off...(Hysteria, Love Bites, Women, Armageddon It, Gods of War,etc..) Makes me think about good times... It was during this time that I began a long string of luck with the babes... not sure what happened though... :-( heheh...
- 8. Africa by Toto
I have seen this song on alot of "favorite 80's lists...." I hate to be redundant, but this song is awesome... great band... see Rosanna, Hold the Line, I'll Be Over You, I Won't Hold You Back.
- 7. Take Me Home Tonight by Eddie Money
Great song that makes me think about a chick from high school that I liked, and eventually wound up with her sister.... strange, huh!
- 6. 867-5309 Jenny by Tommy Tutone
for some reason, I associate this song with spring time, playing basketball with my twin brother and best friends... One of the older guys in the neighborhood played this on his "Monster truck" stereo... been a long time since I have seen one of those on the road!!!
- 5. Eye Of The Tiger by Survivor
This song has great energy... I remember watching Rocky III and thinking this is one of the coolest songs ever....
- 4. Stay The Night by Benjamin Orr (The Cars)
A haunting song... still get chills when I hear this song... gets me pumped up... see #5
- 3. Jessie's Girl by Rick Springfield
I was in 5th grade when this song was popular... Now my beautiful 18 month old neice listens to this before going nite nite... :-)
- 2. Rock You Like A Hurricane by The Scorpions
Greatest Hard Rock band ever.... Holiday, No One Like You, The Zoo, Bad Boys Running Wild, etc.... Was in high school (late 80's) before I really was exposed to them... it changed my life!!!
- 1. Keep On Lovin' You by REO Speedwagon
My very first FAVORITE band... That whole album really got me interested in music... Still one of my favorite songs of any era....
- 10. Cant Touch This by MC Hammer
MC is the coolest man to ever live...no joke...all of his music rocks!
- 9. Safety Dance by Men Without Hats
s-a-f-e-t-y...safety...dance!!! THIS SONG RULES
- 8. She Blinded Me With Science by Thomas Dolby
just look at the title and its final...good song!
- 7. I'm So Excited by Pointer Sisters
god...when ur excited this is the song...they knew what they were going!
- 6. Smooth Criminal by Michael Jackson
Its Michael...back then it meant something
- 5. 867-5309 by Tommy Tutone
If you didnt even listen to the whole song, the first line "jenny jenny who do i turn to" makes it all worth while
- 4. Hold The Line by Toto
- 3. Life Is A Highway by Tom Cochran
- 2. One Night In Bangkok by Murray head
CHESS...need i say more?!?! i mean COME ON this song RULES
- 1. Maniac by Michael Sambello
Im 16 now, so obviously i wasnt into 80's music when it was popular...but HOW CAN U GO WRONG WITH THIS SONG?! you cant...its the best song ever to run around your house singing...alone of course
By: Alex Semchuck
- 10. It's the End of the World as We Know It by R.E.M.
Crazy, but some seriously great lyrics.
- 9. Der Kommissar by After the Fire
Unforgettable, although it probably should be.
- 8. Hungry Like the Wolf by Duran Duran
- 7. I'll Melt With You by Modern English
Great song, too bad the band was only a one-hit wonder.
- 6. Alive and Kicking by Simple Minds
A beautiful song, a wonderful piece of music throughout.
- 5. Sussudio by Phil Collins
Superb beat and tremendous brass section. Phil's best, bar none.
- 4. Come On Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners
One of a kind, this song does not get enough respect!
- 3. Invisible Touch by Genesis
One of the best pop songs of all time, by one of the top 10 greatest bands of all time!!
- 2. Sledgehammer by Peter Gabriel
Great overall song and an incredible music video, one of the best I've ever seen!
- 1. The Safety Dance by Men Without Hats
A great beat, great rhythm, and great lyrics. A tremendous achievement in music!
The 80s was truly the decade of the greatest music we have ever heard. God Bless Phil Collins!!
By: LeRoy Amacher
- 10. Endicott by Kid Creole And The Coconuts
I saw this video on a Community Access Channel and liked it.
- 9. Nothing Gonna Stop Us Now by Starship
I loved it on the movie Mannequin
- 8. 1999 by Prince and the Revolution
Great Dance Party Song
- 7. Karma Chameleon by The Culture Club
Another favorite from my schooling days
- 6. 9 To 5 by Dolly Parton
I liked the song better than the movie
- 5. Venus by Bananarama
Bananarama was a favorite during my high school years
- 4. Physical by Olivia Newton John
Olivia Newton John was one of my favorites during the early 1980s
- 3. Ghostbusters by Ray Parker Jr.
Another great song and video
- 2. Celebration by Kool And The Gang
Going to Oakland A's baseball games in the 80s, I can still remember hearing this song after each A's victory
- 1. Thriller by Michael Jackson
Video was probably the best ever, in my opinion
By: DJ Holy
- 10. The One I Love by R.E.M.
- 9. Wrapped Around Your Finger by The Police
- 8. Carrie by Europe
- 7. Hotel California by Eagles
- 6. Jessie's Girl by Rick Springfield
- 5. Too Hot by Kool & The Gang
- 4. Tainted Love by Soft Cell
- 3. Easy Lover by Phil Collins & Phillip Bailey
- 2. You Can Do Magic by America
one of the only songs with a beat i like by america
- 1. Roxanne by The Police
First song i eva heard of the police, sting was one of my fave artists
i dont know if all these are from the 80's but i just wanted to put up my fave songs around the 1980's.
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.