In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
- 10. Love Action 1981 by The Human League
another classy standard setting band who have a place thats indisputable in all music history
- 9. Evergreen 1983 by Hazell Dean
what a remarkable singeras good as any soulsinger and alovely version of the striesand son notforgotten hazell
- 8. The Big Kiss 1985 by Thereza Bazar
rockin good fun from the dollar song bird who is excellant in her own right a really good dancing number
- 7. First Picture Of You 1983 by The Lotus Eaters
again a beautiful song for early autumn memorys and an exceptional song
- 6. The Other Side 1983 by Lime David And Denyse
- 5. Situation Jellybean 1983 by Yazoo
what can i say fabulous blend of alison moyets blues voice and vince clarks expensive dance sound production. if any of you get to hear this rare version youl b blown away!!!!
- 4. Delius 1980 by Kate Bush
a late summer evening song conjuring images of lying under a big evergreen on a little hill by a small glistening stream birds an bees around. it would b around a 4.30 afternoon song
- 3. Babooshka 1980 by Kate Bush
fairlight recorded for the never forever albumdollar used the same sampler
- 2. Videotheque 1982 by Dollar
sampling heaven when it was really hightech
- 1. Mirror Mirror by Dollar
the begining of the commercial digital sampling revolotion heres a fantastic late 81 example
the 80s r an exiting music decade.far to many artists groups duos singles album tracks to put here.
By: Erik Johnson
- 10. Tears For Fears by Head Over Heels
I always liked this song, but moreso now. It's a great song, and every note can be heard unlike the pop that's out now, and that hook you can't stop singing.. "Laaa la la laaa laaaa... la la la laaaa laaa"...
- 9. Winger by Seventeen
I bought the tape after seeing the video for "Madalaine", and when Seventeen came up, I kept replaying it. I almost wore the oxide off the tape! One of my all-time favorite Friday night cruising songs...
- 8. Home Sweet Home by Motley Crue
I've burned my hand on many a lighter during this song when I'd see Crue live. When I pass, this is my song to my family and friends, God bless 'em.
- 7. Talk Dirty To Me by Poison
One of the all-time great sing-a-longs, even for a cover band in the middle of nowhere!
- 6. In My Dreams by Dokken
Any song with a video featuring a tiger-striped guitar flying across the sky and then a drummer playing in the rain is gonna rock! (Oh yeah, it's a good song, too... damned MTV! (snicker))
- 5. Pac-Man Fever by Buckner & Garcia
What can I say? I played the game and was a total sheep to the merchandising svengalis of the time. Still am. (puts on Pac-Man cap and smiles)
- 4. Radio Station by Run DMC
I always dug this one, and I now know just how prophetic it is, as I work for a 80's hit station now!
- 3. Our House by Madness
The chorus that stuck in your head for days afterward... "Our House... in the middle of our street, our house..."
- 2. Love Is Love by Culture Club
Being a big hard rock fan, it's odd to list this one, but the songwriter side knows it's a simple, beautiful song. Boy George is a great crooner and this song is proof.
- 1. Goody Two Shoes by Adam Ant
I was hooked on this one from the first drum hit. So much energy and groove that you just never hear.
It's hard to pick just 10. There was so much good music being made, and it all had the performer's identity. I'll mix up today's groups because it's all the same, but you know the difference in the 80's bands when you hear them...
- 10. Summer Of 69 by Bryan Adams
Early high school, carefree summers and driving around in cars.
- 9. You Give Love A Bad Name by Bon Jovi
I just loved them back then and still do now!
- 8. Say You Will by Foreigner
- 7. Electric Avenue by Eddy Grant
I just liked the song.
- 6. Fascinated by Company B
What can I say, I love those dance tunes!
- 5. Wake Me Up Before You Go-go by WHAM
upbeat and happy!
- 4. Need You Tonight by INXS
I just love the beat!
- 3. Wonderful by Adam Ant
- 2. Real Love by Mary J Blige
I still listen to this song! One of my all time favorites
- 1. All Of Her Songs by Madonna
I love Madonna, she's a great musician and artist. she is not affraid to do her thang!
These are my favorite songs from the 80's and I still listen to them today! Of course there is a lot more songs that I love but they only give us 10 spots.
By: Pere Accésan
- 10. Too Shy by Kajagoogoo
- 9. Wishful Thinking by China Crisis
A chinese atmosphere for this song
- 8. 99 luftballons by Nena
The German version. The latest Cold War song.
- 7. Enola Gay by OMD
A lot of people don´t know what Enola Gay is, yet.
- 6. Don´t You Want Me by Human League
Human League and their greatest hit, although they had many good songs.
- 5. Vienna by Ultravox
An example of an atmosphere. This means anything to me
- 4. Every Breath You Take by Police
Or how to make a song from a chase.
- 3. Tainted Love by Soft Cell
The version of this song that Soft Cell performed was a hit. I gave you all a boy could give you.
- 2. Down Under by Men At Work
The vegemite sandwich and the zombie on a hippy trail.
- 1. Avalon by Roxy Music
The best song of Roxy Music in my opinion. If you want to know how to create an atmosphere, this is the song.
My english is not very good. I´m sorry.
- 10. Werewolves Of London by Warren Zevon
Can you say fun? I think you can.
- 9. Everyday Is Halloween by Ministry
This song is just plain cool!
- 8. Don't You Forget About Me by Simple Minds
From the 3rd greatest movie from the '80's, "The Breakfast Club" (first and second being "Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi"). Pretty much every other movie on that list is a John Hughes film. (Did anyone else make movies in the '80's other than Lucas, Spielberg, and Hughes?) ;)
- 7. Human Touch by Rick Springfield
The original Nick Night (for those fans of the series Forever Night).
- 6. The Touch by Stan Bush
He, it was the '80's. Gotta throw in something from Transformers: The Movie. That, and I had alot of fun doing this at an air band competition.
- 5. Heaven by Bryan Adams
Great song, great video, and he's a BC boy, like me!
- 4. We're Not Gonna Take It by Twisted Sister
Re-defined UGLY in the '80's. Gave Mick Jagger and Steve Tyler something to shoot for. :)
- 3. Borderline by Madonna
The Material Mom at her finest.
- 2. Send Me An Angel by Real Life
The original is FAR superior to "Send Me An Angel '89", but that's a good version, too.
- 1. Strange Animal by Gowan
If you're from Canada, you SHOULD know this one. If not, he's currently front man on Styx current tour (Dennis DeYoung couldn't make the tour).
I probably could have filled this list just with songs from Gowan, but I figured I should show SOME variety.
- 10. Detroit Rock City by Kiss
detroit has lots of gun problems..
- 9. Crazy Train by Ozzy
- 8. Diary Of A Madman by Ozzy
- 7. Thunderstruck by AC/DC
acdc is cool but not that cool
- 6. Hysteria by Def leppard
i gotta know tonight, if your alone tonight =)
- 5. Dreams by Van Halen
- 4. Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def leppard
- 3. Flying In A Blue Dream by Joe Satriani
- 2. I Ran by A Flock Of Seagulls
gta 3 is a good game
- 1. Bark At The Moon by Ozzy
i had a few more songs to anter, if only uve F***ing made it "top 20 songs" that would be much nicer...but NOOOOOOOO. anyways bye
- 10. Get Out Of My House Roach by Shuffle Demons
This relationship. Just isn't hip.
- 9. All I Want Is You by U2
Black and white. Sorrowful. Beautiful.
- 8. Ship Of Fools by World Party
Save me from tomorrow.
- 7. Hard Habit To Break by Chicago
- 6. I Want To Know What Love Is by Foreigner
- 5. Hazy Shade Of Winter by Bangles
Riding a convertible in a lightning storm.
- 4. Boys Of Summer by Don Henley
Black and white. Drum. Beach on canvas.
- 3. In Your Eyes by Peter Gabriel
Jon Cusack in a trenchcoat with a boombox over his head.
- 2. Every Breath You Take by Police
Black and white. Drum. Window.
- 1. In The Air Tonight by Phil Collins
Helicopters flying over nighttime Los Angeles. A non-techno cyberpunk song.
Long Live CFTR, and the 5:10 Stupid Joke of the Day
By: Oscar (from Argentina)
It was very hard to choose these songs.It would have been easier if I had to choose the top 100.But the chief said "just ten".
- 10. All I Need Is A Miracle by Mike and the Mechanics
Great song that i haven't really seen listed above?
- 9. Cruel Summer by Bananarama
Song that i originally heard during the first Karate Kid movie.
- 8. It Ain't Enough by Corey Hart
An old, moving, favourite.
- 7. Talking In Your Sleep by Romantics
- 6. Safety Dance by Men Without Hats
Great track that's still popular with a lot of people.
- 5. Princes Of The Universe by Queen
Well remembered from the original Highlander movie.
- 4. Obsession by Human League
- 3. Walk Like An Egyptian by Bangles
yeah, yeah...too bad it's here!
- 2. Sexcrime (1984) by Eurythmics
interesting early song from annie.
- 1. Right On Track by Breakfast Club
Not a bad song, aye!
Not listed in order of favouritism.
Drive, Africa, Nothings gonna stop us now, All outta love, Livin on a prayer, I think were alone now, keep on loving you, Rythm of the night, Against all odds, Hungry eyes, Purple Rain, Wild Boys, Live to tell, Town called malice, Here i go again, These dreams, Take on me, Freedom, Living years. These are all worthy of my top ten on another day some of them might.
By: John Hamilton
- 10. Rock You Like a Hurricane by Scorpions
- 9. Billie Jean by Michael Jackson
He had to be there somewhere.
- 8. Crossfire by Stevie Ray Vaughan
If you don't believe me, listen to SRV and you'll understand why he was one of the best blues men ever.
- 7. Livin' on a Prayer by Bon Jovi
My theme song.
- 6. Pour Some Sugar on Me by Def Leppard
'nuff sed. The whole Hysteria album is genius.
- 5. Back in Black by AC/DC
A masterfully produced track...still an anthem to rock out to.
- 4. Jump by Van Halen
Still a favorite
- 3. St. Elmo's Fire by John Parr
One hit wonder...
- 2. We Built This City on Rock and Roll by Jefferson Starship
- 1. Power of Love by Huey Lewis and the News
C'mon people...Back to the Future.
I really miss those years a lot!!!
- 10. Crazy Train by Ozzy Osbourne
Amazing guitar riff by the late great Randy Rhoades - check it out
- 9. I Ran by A Flock Of Seagulls
the ultimate New Wave song
- 8. True by Spandau Ballet
Catches that 80s sound to perfection
- 7. Every Breath You Take by The Police
still fresh after all these years
- 6. Radio Ga Ga by Queen
Great vocals from Freddie Mercury, the best queen song of the decade
- 5. Learning To Fly by Pink Floyd
For some reason a lot of Pink Floyd fans dont like this song, I think its their best ever song
- 4. Jump by Van Halen
one of only a few Rock songs to reach no.1 in the USA, memorable synthesizer playing - sounds great on CD
- 3. Turn Me Loose by Loverboy
One of a few catchy tunes by this Canadian Rock Band, great guitar and bass playing, Mike Reno has awesome vocals
- 2. Drive by The Cars
great car song!, sounds best on CD although you have to be in the right mood
- 1. Don't You Forget About Me by Simple Minds
A great song from a great movie, makes me wish I was back in 1985 everytime I hear it
By: Brandon Peoples
Michael Jackson, no matter how much anyone hates him was the king of the eighties like it or not. I was born in 1985 and I absolutely love Michael Jackson's music as well as the hair bands of the 80s. They put more into their music those days whereas today its basically watered down crap.
- 10. Thriller by Michael Jackson
simply put i luv this song.
- 9. Like a Virgin by Madonna
i don't know why i like this song.
- 8. Big Brother by Stevie Wonder
was this in the 80's?ah well...
- 7. Pina Colada Song by Duran Duran
yall know which one i speak of it was even used in Shrek.
- 6. 1999 by Prince
Great Dance song
- 5. Like To Know You Well by Howard Jones
MY jam from teh classic movie better off dead.
- 4. Liberian Girl by Michael Jackson
Yall gotta admit this is a great slow jam.
- 3. Easy Lover by Phil Collins
I like to jam to this song for some reason and isn't phil collins teh guy who did the tarzan soundtrack.
- 2. When Doves Cry by Prince
I like princes songs the way i like mike jackson's.
- 1. Smooth Criminal by Michael Jackson
Great dance song one of my favorites by mike jackson.
By: Victoria S.
- 10. Love Shadow by Fashion
OOh shiverly timbers, this song rocks, haunting beats, melody, and lyrics this song is lushious and still sounds great today.
- 9. Madam Butterfly by Malcolm McClaren
The concept is beautiful, the song is beautiful, unbelievable pain and pleasure, this song is.
- 8. Nightmares by A Flock of Seagulls
What a genius to come up with this song, music, lyrics, who is that dark, well after Morrissey?
- 7. Hey Little Girl by Icehouse
Third Chapter. Can still make me tear up.
- 6. Do You Really Want To Hurt Me by Culture Club
One of the best break-out songs ever made and the video, nothing else to say.
- 5. Nowhere Girl by B-Movie
Chapter Two in the story of my life.
- 4. Boys & Girls by Bryan Ferry
Album/CD should include warning and prophylactics.
- 3. Original Sin by INXS
Story of my life.
- 2. To Turn You On by Roxy Music
Sensually sexy. Need I say more? Avalon is like warm chocolate on a cold day.
- 1. I Confess by The English Beat
I still have goosebumps when I hear this song at the right time on the right day.
I love one hit wonders, can't help it. Props as well to Siousxsie, Soft Cell, Talk Talk, TFF(The Way You Are), Tin Tin, A-ha, Lloyd Cole, Depeche Mode, Simple Minds(almost #9), Belle Stars, Psych Furs,Dream Academy(Love Parade-masterpiece), Valley Girl soundtrack(The Payolas, Felony,,,,,) You get the picture. I love the 80s music, maybe the only reason I made it to the new millenium, intact. Oh yeah, Scritti Politti
- 10. Modigliani by Book of Love
I was shocked to hear it played throughout the "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles" movie. Very cool choice.
- 9. Persephone by Cocteau Twins
The whole album Treasure is one worth giving a listening to as it is very mellow and relaxing.
- 8. Perfect Way by Scrittii Politti
From Cupid and Pysche '85. Very cool song.
- 7. Some People by Belouis Some
First heard them on the movie soundtrack for Pretty in Pink and then liked their other music as well.
- 6. Master and Servant by Depeche Mode
We call it an excellent song!
- 5. Bad Connection by Yaz
Sing along song in high school. Just add beer!
- 4. Mary's Prayer by Danny Wilson
Another hard to find song but one that I heard played by a cover band in Edinburgh, Scotland of all places.
- 3. Welcome to Paradise by Front 242
- 2. Private Idaho by B-52s
How could you not smile when you listen to this song! Especially Fred's over the top lyrics!
- 1. American Soviets by CCCP
One of the hardest songs to find because it only came out on vinyl (for about $25 a pop no less).
What a great decade the 80s was. From new wave to progressive to punk to indie, we had it all. I don't think we will ever get such great music again so enjoy it while it is still readily available.
I think its all most impossible to compile a 'TOP 10 of the 80's'. There are so many amazing songs. They don't make music like that anymore.
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.