In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
By: anonimo argentino
- 10. A Little Respect by Erasure
- 9. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper
- 8. Confusion by Electric Light Orchestra
- 7. Pandora's Box by OMD
- 6. Keep On Loving You by REO Speedwagon
- 5. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road by Elton John
- 4. Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now by Jefferson Starship
- 3. I'll Say Goodbye For The Two Of Us by Expose
- 2. You Were Always On My Mind by Pet Shop Boys
- 1. Goodbye by Air Supply
- 10. President Gas by Psychedelic Furs
- 9. Love's Great Adventure by Ultravox
- 8. Why Me? by Planet P
- 7. The Salt In My Tears by Martin Briley
- 6. China by Red Rockers
- 5. I Must Be Dreaming by Cheap Trick
- 4. AEIOU and Sometimes Y by Ebn-Ozn
- 3. Voices by Russ Ballard
- 2. Men Without Shame by Phantom, Rocker, and Slick
- 1. Payolas by Eyes of a Stranger
By: Matt H
- 10. 99 Luft Balloons by Nena
How many foreign language songs have gotten the airplay, in the US, that this song did in the past 50 years? The english version was good too and the lead singer was hot!
- 9. Heavan Tonight by Waysted
An obscure metal band who didn't have a big label to market their stuff. Check it out on one of the music share networks if you get the chance.
- 8. We Will Rock You/we Are The Champions by Queen
OK, so it's the unofficial gay rights anthem but tell me you don't know the lyrics. It's also probably playing tonight at your local sports arena.
- 7. Welcome To The Jungle by Guns n Roses
The video was in glam style but it just wasn't them. I mark the release of this album as the beginning of the end of the glam band era, while the grunge movement that came out of Seattle probably secured glam's demise.
- 6. You Shook Me All Night Long by AC DC
One of the best party songs of all time!
- 5. Fight For The Right (To Party) by The Beastie Boys
One of raps earliest successes still going strong today. If this song doesn't make you wanna pound a few cold ones back you didn't LIVE in the 80s!
- 4. Faithfully by Journey
THE quintessential power ballad.
- 3. Home Sweet Home by Motley Crue
MTV changed the rules on their top ten requested show when this song stayed at number one for more than three months. After that, a song could only be on the chart for a certain number of weeks and then they put it in the "Hall of Fame" or some crap like that.
- 2. Heavan's on Fire by Kiss
One song that EVERYONE recognises less than one second in. WoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo!
- 1. Photograph by Def Leppard
A burning guitar rif and a pounding bass drum beat that grabs you and never lets go. ♫♫Otta luck, outta love. Got a photograph, picture of, passion killer you're too much. You're the only one I wanna touch.♫♫
Top ten songs is, obviously very much, a subjective term. I can't belive I made an 80s top ten list without a song from Bon Jovi, Ratt, or Cinderella but I can't throw any of these off to clear a space. There's no Great White, Scorpions or Iron Maiden on my list again, because I'd have to get rid of one. I mention these bands because they, amoung many others, were all part of the arena concert phenomenon that was so much a part of the 80s music experience that is all but gone now. Gone are the days of forking out $15 every weekend to see one of the day's top acts with 15,000 of their #1 fans. If you missed it I pity you.
By: Juan José
- 10. How Am I Supposed To Live Without You by Michael Bolton
- 9. Careless Whisper by Wham
- 8. Arthur's Theme by Christopher Cross
Muy buena interpretación
- 7. Billie Jean by Michael Jackson
- 6. Sara by Starship
- 5. Billy Idol by Rebel Yell
- 4. Every breath you take by The police
Una canción clásica
- 3. Maniac by Michael Sembello
Fantástica canción con un solo increible
- 2. Beat It by Michael Jackson
La mejor canción rock de los 80s. Great solo!
- 1. Never Gonna Give You Up by Rick Astley
La mejor canción pop de los 80s
Coming home, Sailing, part time lover, far from over, también merecen
By: Jessie K
- 10. Rio by Duran Duran
Yes. I am a Duranie. Yes. I make it obvious, but this song is the BEST song! Whenever I hear it it is like I am automatically sent to Antigua, sitting on a yacht, hanging out with five of the MOST GORGEOUS men IN THE WORLD!!! I can't help it, I would have loved to be the girl in that video, funky paint mixtures and all.
- 9. Where the Streets Have No Name by U2
What could I possibly say about this song other than wow. I love the opening of the song, how it just builds to the bass line, it is like a growing excitement, you know something amazing is coming. U2 has to mentioned on any 80's list!
- 8. Save A Prayer by Duran Duran
This song is just so damn beautiful!!! Nick's synths are amazingly haunting and Simon's lyrics are so heartbreaking. Perfect song. Just perfect.
- 7. Goodbye is Forever by Arcadia
Alot of people put Election Day on their lists. That Song is great but this song always gets me. The video is really weird but its really fascinating.
- 6. If You Were Here by Thompson Twins
Everytime I hear this song I remember the scene in Sixteen Candles right after the wedding when Molly finally gets the guy!!!
- 5. Get It On (Bang A Gong) by Power Station
This song is THE song to listen to when you want to get psyched up for ANYTHING. There is soooo much energy in this tune, it kicks ASS.
- 4. Let's Dance by David Bowie
One of my friends won some moolah for dancing to this song in a contest....can't mess with Bowie.
- 3. Money for Nothing by Dire Straits
"I Want my, I want my, I want my MTV!" Need I say more?
- 2. Roxanne by The Police
I think this is such a great song! "Roxanne! You don't have to put on the red light" Can't beat that!!
- 1. Late Bar by Duran Duran
I don't think too many people know this song unless they are Duranies but this is just an AWESOME song!! Download it, listen to it, love it!!!
Honorable Mention:Billy Joel-Uptown Girl;Peter Gabriel-Sledgehammer; Duran Duran- Come Up and See me(Make me Smile); hell, ANYTHING by DD;Nena-99 Luftballons; Big Country-In a Big Country; Chicago-Stay the Night;Take on Me- Aha....10 just is NOT enough,this list isn't even the tip of the iceberg for me, jus a mere shaving! I could go on for days! I have already made up about 15 CDs of 80's music for myself, 18 tracks on each, and I'm not done yet!! I love the 80s! Everything about them, movies, music, some of the style, but just a little. The funniest part is, I'm only 18!!! If I had a time machine I'd go to 1980 to live through all of it, over and over and over and over.....but I digress.This site is the best site I've seen, I come here everyday to try and get a taste of what I didn't really get to experience.Thank you so much for this site!!!
- 10. Walk Like An Egyptian by The Bangles
- 9. Tainted Love by Soft Cell
- 8. Open Your Heart by Madonna
Great song--great video.
- 7. If You Leave by Orchestral Manuevers In The Dark
I love Pretty in Pink too!! Jon Cryer is the best.
- 6. The Girl Is Mine by Paul McCartney and Michael Jackson
Two geniuses and a great song--what more is there to say?
- 5. How Soon Is Now by The Smiths
- 4. Hazy Shade Of Winter by The Bangles
This song never gets old--in fact you grow fonder of it every single time you listen to it again.
- 3. Burning Down The House by The Talking Heads
- 2. Wanna Be Startin Somethin' by Michael Jackson
- 1. Dont You Forget About Me by Simple Minds
I love this song, and I love the Breakfast Club!!!
- 10. 99 Luftballoons by Nena
Remember when we were all convinced we could pronounce German?
- 9. Karma Chameleon by Culture Club
Sure, we all knew he was gay, but it was the 80s!
- 8. Footloose by Kevin Bacon
Every cut everybody cut...
- 7. I Ran by Flock Of Seagulls
How much more 80s can you get?
- 6. Tainted Love by Soft Cell
If you're gonna be a one hit wonder, GOOD CHOICE
- 5. Just Cant Get Enough by Depeche Mode
- 4. Errol by Australian Crawl
Boys Light Up was more popular, but I wanted to be Captain Blood
- 3. Shine by Kids in the Kitchen
Maybe you had to be born in Melbourne to remember KiTK vs Pseudo Echo?
- 2. Industrial Disease by Dire Straits
Panic on the switchboard - still a song to turn the amp up to 11!
- 1. Two Tribes by Frankie Goes to Hollywood
Not only was it the song the DEFINED 12" Mixes, with probably 8 discrete releases, but the Reagan vs Brezhnev video was so cool!
I've only just started! Can I have a Top 100???
- 10. Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now by Starship
Everytime I hear this song, I have to belt it out!
- 9. I Want To Know What Love Is by Foreigner
I want to know what love is!
- 8. Never by Heart
I haven't seen this song on anyone else's list, I haven't even seen this artist on anyone's list...This is a great song people!!
- 7. Caribbean Queen by Billy Ocean
I only saw this song on one other list!! what is wrong with you people?? This is a great song!
- 6. Train in Vain by The Clash
Quite possibly, the greatest British band ever!
- 5. Missing You by John Waite
Another one hit artist, but this song was a great one!
- 4. Drive by The Cars
Who's gonna drive YOU home tonight???
- 3. Here I Go Again by Whitesnake
How can you ever forget this song? I haven't seen this song on anyone's list!
- 2. Addicted to Love by Robert Palmer
I absolutely love this song! I remember watching the video on VH1 whne I was little!
- 1. I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight by The Cutting Crew
This is my favorite 80s song and the Saturday Night Live skit with Matt Damon and Ben Affleck singing it wasn't too bad either!
I found this site last night and I had to think about it overnight, so I figured, which 10 80s songs would I want to listen to for the rest of my life? and I came up with these. Honorable mention goes to Journey with Faithfully. I may have been born in the 80s but I love the 80s music, I wish the music in 2003 would be as good as the music in 1983 was.
By: Rabah El-Aawar
- 10. Brother Louie by Modern Talking
- 9. The Locomotion by Kylie Minogue
- 8. La Isla Bonita by Madonna
can't stop singing this...
- 7. Heaven Is A Place On Earth by Belinda Carlisle
Well, i did increas the tempo for that song, and it sounded cooler!!!!
- 6. I Need A Hero by Bonnie Tyler
- 5. Never Gonna Give You Up by Rick Astley
- 4. Im Nin 'Alu by Ofra Haza
WOW!!!! extravagant eastern eighties electronica!!!!
- 3. Kylie Minogue by I Should Be So Lucky
I can still remember that time when i was a little kid singing that song... ah!!!
- 2. Tell It To My Heart by Taylor Dayne
Wow!!! What a song!!! Whatever happened to Taylor now?!!
- 1. You Spin Me Round (Like A Record) by Dead Or Alive
The best song ever made!!!!! I did some tempo changing, and this song rocks even more!!!
- 10. What Have I Done by Pet shop boys
The Pet shop boys rule!
- 9. Things Can Only Get Better by Howard Jones
A very memorable 80's song!
- 8. Sea of Love by Honey Drippers
Such a sweet sweet song
- 7. Talking In Your Sleep by The Romantics
I hear the secrets that you keep when you're talking in your sleep...
- 6. I Need You Tonight by Peter Wolf
- 5. Pandora's Box by O.M.D
And it's a long long way...from where you want to be
- 4. Video Killed The Radio Star by Buggles
How can you not like this one?
- 3. It's My Life by Talk Talk
- 2. It's A Sin by Pet Shop Boys
- 1. A Different Story by Peter Schilling
One of my favorite 80's songs EVER
I love the 80s!!!!
By: DJ Kenny
- 10. Christine by Siouxsie and The Banshees
"Christine The Strawberry Girl", you do not need to be Goth to appreciate this great track.
- 9. Souvenir by OMD
Creates a great mood. It is my fave early OMD single. Just lovely.
- 8. Send Me An Angel by Real Life
Once you get passed the scene in the BMX film it appeared on in the 80's "Rad", it is just perfect 80's synthpop bliss. The 89' remix version is not 1/2 bad either.
- 7. Radioactivity by Kraftwerk
Ahhh, environmentalism in a synth pop form. Sounds great loud in a club and strangely overlooked by many DJ's
- 6. If I Ever by Red Flag
Red Flag never became too commercial and marketed a great deal on fans of Depeche Mode looking for something the same. Wish DM would have stayed as electronic!
- 5. This Is How It Feels by Inspiral Carpets
Covered by a few bands as it just grabs you. None sounds as good as the original. manchester's best!
- 4. Drama! by Erasure
Andy Bell has the most rivetting vocals and this song says it all in the most creative style Vince Clark ever showed in the 80's
- 3. Temptation by New Order
Forget Bizarre Love Triangle and it's overplayed nature, this is the rt mix of the Joy Division days-electronics and guitar
- 2. Mad World by Tears For Fears
from one of the greatest cd's of all time, The Hurting. There smash songs from the big chair is deserving, but this record is just amazing!
- 1. But Not Tonight by Depeche Mode
From the best DM album (by many big fans) 1986 Black Celebration. Just perfection. Melancholic, yet danceable, not too trendy but not too dark.
- 10. Slap In The Face by L.A. Guns
- 9. No One Like You by Scorpions
- 8. 17 Crash by L.A. Guns
really cool riffs and very 80s bad boy biker attitude
- 7. Fear Of The Dark by Iron Maiden
really cool song, keeps you wondering if there's someone behind you
- 6. Jump by Van Halen
- 5. Home Sweet Home by Motley Crue
- 4. Without You by Motley Crue
- 3. Patience by Guns N' Roses
great lyrics, acoustic rythm and solo
- 2. Ballad Of Jayne by L.A. Guns
Beautiful song, great lyrics, and nice acoustics and solo
- 1. Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns N' Roses
One of Slash's best guitar solos
80s rock was real rock, they had it all talent, great lyrics, and great riffs and solos. What could have happened to rock, Kiss' song "God Gave Rock And Roll To You" said to save rock for everyone, but now u got these crappy bands that wont even break a sweat for the music and all they care about is the cars, houses, and cool clothes. For all those out there who agree, i applaud you and keep real rock ALIVE!
- 10. Touch of Grey by Grateful Dead
This song is pretty catchy, I aint a DeadHead but this song stuck in my head for the longest time, pretty nice message it preaches too
- 9. Wake Me Up (Before You Go-Go) by Wham!
ok ok I know, they are gay the song is pretty gay but it gets stuck in your head and wont leave
- 8. Broken Wings by Mr. Mister
Great song, the remake by 2pac - Until The End Of Time was great but nothin beats the original
- 7. 1999 by Prince
This man deserves much more credit than he was ever given
- 6. Kids Of America by Kim Wylde
The vocals are great, anyone have pictures of this chick?
- 5. Crazy Train by Ozzy Osbourne
Now this song rocks, the best damn guitar riff of all time
- 4. Automatic by Pointer Sisters
Great beat, great lyrics, just plain great
- 3. Steppin Out by Joe Jackson
Back in the 80's when I was a kid I heard this song every damn time I was in the mall, still plays in my head just like it was yesterday
- 2. Out Of Touch by Hall and Oates
This song still seems to thrill, another classic
- 1. Obsession by Animotion
this song still kicks ass for all I am concerned, I am glad GTA Vice City brought it back along with many other great ones
Anything by early Ozzy Osbourne was good, 1st 2 albums that is. Early Metallica was great. I cant think of all my favorites right these are the ones that come to mind.
By: Gary Tom
Top 10 songs are not in any particular order
By: Lou Grimaldi
- 10. Dreaming by Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark (OMD)
A fabulous synth-pop New Wave band. No list would be complete without this band. This song is my favourite of the bunch.
- 9. Working With Fire and Steel by China Crisis
Fabulous song. Can't get much more 80's than this song. Great political commentary too.
- 8. Lost In Your Eyes by Debbie Gibson
This song will make anybody melt. So will she. To bad she had to be overshadowed by the sluts of the industry.
- 7. First, Last, For Everything by Endgames
Pure New Wave and to the point. One-hit wonder song. It is very cool.
- 6. Always Something There To Remind Me by Naked Eyes
This song defines young love lost in the 80's. It's like you are almost there.
- 5. New Song by Howard Jones
No list would be complete without this King of Synth. I had to roll the dice between five of his songs all tied for the best.
- 4. Love Plus One by Haircut 100.
Thank you Nick Heyward for being so melodious. This song catches youthful vigour of 80's pop at it's best.
- 3. Reap The Wild Wind by Ultravox
These guys are borderline Gothic/Synth/New Wave/New Romantic. Their songs encompass all that is dark, yet driving with 80's music.
- 2. Whisper To a Scream by Icicle Works
A song that pretty well speaks for a young generation out to conquer the world. Brilliant!
- 1. Save A Prayer by Duran Duran
The video and the song are breathless. The band is tight. The definitive 80's pop rock New Wave Band of all-time.
What? Only 10. Hey, I could go on and on and on. Just like the Duracell battery, or, Max Headroom. Back to the Future. Please!!
By: Lou Grimaldi V. II
- 10. Everyday I Write The Book by Elvis Costello
These guys were so far ahead of their time, they were 80's even in the 70's.
- 9. Blue Monday by New Order
Super song. The beat is too infectious.
- 8. Another Nail For My Heart by Squeeze
Catchy beat. Real cool band. Saw them live.
- 7. Quiet Life by Japan
Excellent tune for pure New Wave lunatics like me.
- 6. Only You by Yaz
This song is so coool, unpretentious and poignant.
- 5. Der Kommisar by After The Fire
Better than the late, great, Falco, even though he wrote it. "Don't turn around. Oh, oh, oh. Der Kommisar's in town. Oh-oh-oh".
- 4. Burning Down The House by Talking Heads
Anti-establishment, anti-television, anti-get-a-job. Same as it ever was...
- 3. Skank'in To The Beat by Fishbone
These guys, The Police and The Specials got me into Caribbean music for Pete's sake. Talk about a cross-over. Ska, baby, ska.
- 2. Love Song by Simple Minds
This group is too smart for its own good. This song rocks and drives.
- 1. She Blinded Me With Science by Thomas Dolby
This guy is f**** looney. That's why the song works. Extended version rules. "Good heaven's Ms. Yakamoto, you're beautiful!"
This is my second list. One wasn't enough. Hey, neither is two. Like it? "Of course you do. Ah, ah, ah!!"
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.