In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
- 10. In The Flesh by Blondie
Kinda of a ''fatal attraction'' song. But very beautiful in its own way.
- 9. Catch My Fall by Billy Idol
Just a real great song.
- 8. I Fought The Law by The Clash
Eventhough this (cover)song totally rocks,I wish it was 5 minutes longer.
- 7. Stand And Deliver by Adam Ant
What can I say, Its Adam Ant.
- 6. Wishing (Photograph) by A Flock Of Seagulls
I keep thinking back my first Girlfreind with this song.
- 5. Planet Earth by Duran Duran
Weird video, great song.
- 4. Always On My Mind by Pet Shop Boys
Still a sad song even with a dance beat, no matter who sings it.
- 3. Don't Change by INXS
One of the greatest dance songs of the modern rock era. You cant help but start bouncing around when you hear this one.
- 2. 88 Lines About 44 Women by The Nails
Sheesh!!!....This song is totally awesome.
- 1. Pictures Of You by The Cure
I simply love this song.
I have so many more favorites, these were just off the top of my head. Even though they are modern rock:)
By: ashley shurtz
- 10. Africa by Toto
- 9. Man In Motion (Theme From St. Wlmos Fire) by John Parr
- 8. Don't Dream It's Over by Crowded House
- 7. Jesse's Girl by Rick Springfield
I have not seen it on any other lists, and don't know why
- 6. Land Down Under by Men at Work
- 5. We've Got the Beat by The Go-Go's
- 4. Got My Mind Set On You by George Harrison
- 3. 867-5309 (Jenny) by Tommy Tutone
- 2. Billy Jean by Michael Jackson
He was my favorite 'till he turned into a freak!
- 1. Kyrie by Mister Mister
Being born in '82, I didn't get a chance to live in the 80s like most; however, I do have a deep love for that great decade
- 10. Drifting Falling by Ocean Blue
A sentimental fave!
- 9. Don't Dream it's Over by Crowded House
This may be one I've come to like more with time than one I necessarily liked then . . . but it's still a great song.
- 8. Killing Moon by Echo and the Bunnymen
Again, one where I could've picked a few of their songs, but always loved Iam McCulloch's voice on this one.
- 7. (Every day is) Halloween by Ministry
Surprised I didn't see this on any list . . . This was a staple in the bar I worked at in college.
- 6. Blue Monday by New Order
Hands down the best dance song of the 80s
- 5. Begin the Begin by REM
Could have picked a few others . . .but always loved the sound of this one . . . One of my 80s favorites, but a band that in my view went way down hill in the 90S
- 4. Kiss the Dirt by INXS
Many INXS songs that were played to death on the radio never compared to the very cool sound of this single.
- 3. Girl Afraid by The Smiths
Not one by Smiths, possibly the greatest band of the 80s, that you'll see many people pick, but Johnny Marr's guitar on this one is to die for!
- 2. The Catch by The Cure
Tough call since I loved so many of Robert Smith's songs, but htis one always kind of grabbed me.
- 1. Pale Shelter by Tears for Fears
Shades of great things to come
The 80s were a strange time for me in terms of music . . .I really found myself deeply disliking the popular culture of the early part of the decade . . . i.e. the big haired metal bands, flock of seaguls s**t . . . but some of the stuff that came mid to late 80s . . .the stuff we were listening to in college . . .i.e the smiths, cure, rem, was some great music.
- 10. Bad Case of Loving by Robert Palmer
I have good reason to laugh at this.
- 9. Heaven Is a Place on Earth by Belinda Carlisle
Me and my friend loved this song.
- 8. Start Me Up by Rolling Stones
Oh, well, anything by these guys beats the hell out of everything else anyway....
- 7. Always Something there to Remind Me by Naked Eyes
This song is awesome.
- 6. Hold the Line by Toto
- 5. Let's Dance by David Bowie
Put on your red shoes and dance the blues... and if you say run, I'll run with you.
- 4. Rock You Like a Hurricane by Scorpions
- 3. Land Down Under by Men At Work
Haha, these lyrics are sooo funny.
- 2. Tainted Love by Soft Cell
This song is wicked. I can't even explain it.
- 1. I Think We're Alone Now by Tiffany
This song is the ultimate! Nothin' gets you in more of a mood to PARTY! Or at least nothing gets ME in more of a mood to party...
By: chris hutch
- 10. Aerosmith by St. John
- 9. Foreplay by Boston
- 8. Styx by Blue Collar Man
- 7. Hells Bells by ACDC
- 6. Long Live Rock And Roll by Steel Dragon
- 5. Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Leopard
- 4. Wind Of Change by Scorpions
- 3. Renagade by Styx
- 2. Here I Go Again by Whitesnake
- 1. The Stroke by Billy Squire
By: Steve Gerty
- 10. Money For Nothing by Dire Straits
...and the chicks are free
- 9. Owner Of A Lonely Heart by Yes
I like it...I dont know why
- 8. Rio by Duran Duran
More glory from the best
- 7. I Ran by Flock of Seagulls
Funny haircuts always make a good song
- 6. Another One Bites the Dust by Queen
Best bass line ever
- 5. Hungry Like the Wolf by Duran Duran
Best band of the 80s
- 4. Renegade by Styx
Seamless transition from choir singing to 80s rock!
- 3. Murray Head by One Night In Bangkok
Again, try not dancing
- 2. Loverboy by Working For The Weekend
Try not dancing
- 1. Asia by Heat Of The Moment
Most underated band of the 80s. Period
- 10. White Wedding by Billy Idol
- 9. Games Without Frontiers by Peter Gabriel
It took me ages to figure out it was "Jeux sans frontiere". I always thought he was singing "She's so wonderful." (We didn't have internet back then!)
- 8. Mary's Prayer by Danny Wilson
- 7. Song for Whoever by Beautiful South
Carry on up the Charts is a great compilation of their talent.
- 6. Arias & Symphonies by The Spoons
- 5. Need You Tonight by INXS
- 4. The Sun Always Shines on TV by A-Ha
Another awesome group.
- 3. Opportunities by Pet Shop Boys
The Discography CD is amazing!
- 2. Blue Monday by New Order
It took me years to find out who did this song.
- 1. Blue Savannah by Erasure
Love everything by this group, but this one is my all-time favorite.
Loads of others achieving honourable mention: - Brian Ferry - Slave to Love - I Did it for Love - Harlequin - Wuthering Heights - Kate Bush - If You Leave - OMD - Tainted Love - Soft Cell You know, I'd be hard pressed to do this for the 90's. Unless it's everything by the Barenaked Ladies I can't think of 10 songs that I like anywhere near as much as all this 80's talent. For the 80's I had a hard time shortening the list to 10!
By: Jeremy Moore
- 10. Kiss Me Deadly by Lita Ford
This lady can play guitar. She is so hot too.
- 9. Get Ready by Accept
ROCK ON!!! Accept is such an awesome band. I wish they were still around.
- 8. All Through The Night by Axe
Great song to headbang to.
- 7. Rock You Like A Hurricane by Scorpions
Always a fun song to play on guitar.
- 6. American Woman by Krokus
The original artist of this song. It was later redone by Lenny Kravitz.
- 5. Master of Puppets by Metallica
Don't let drugs be a master and you be the puppet.
- 4. Paranoid by Black Sabbath
It seems like everytime I break up with a girl I listen to this song. lol...
- 3. Cold Blood by Kix
Kix is such an awesome band though they never really got too much recognition.
- 2. Home Sweet Home by Motley Crue
Reminds me that I will never be too far away from home. I am always welcome back.
- 1. Be My Lover by Alice Cooper
This song is awesome!!! Alice Cooper ROCKZ!!!
If anyone knows any other great songs from the 80's or of any time please e-mail me your preferences. Thank you.
- 10. Any Song By by Def Leppard
Need I say more? From Autograph to Hysteria.. love those guys!
- 9. A Girl Like You by Smithereens
LOVE THIS SONG!!
- 8. Is This Love by Whitesnake
- 7. And We Danced by The Hooters
- 6. I Just Died In Your Arms by Cutting Crew
- 5. You've Got The Look by Roxette
- 4. Wait by White Lion
- 3. Breakfast At Tiffany's by Deep Blue Something
Ok, this was an early 90's song, but it's a good song.
- 2. Angel by Aerosmith
This song was awesome.
- 1. Stay The Night by Benjamin Orr
Love this song!!! The cars guitarist did a great job with this!
By: Fred Benson
- 10. Rock and Roll Dreams Come Through by Jim Steinman
This is the classic rock-and-roll anthem! Remember-you're never alone,so you can pick up the 'phones,and let the drummer tell your heart what to do!
- 9. Trouble by Lindsay Buckingham
This is the best song by Fleetwood Mac-whether they all sing or one does it solo.
- 8. Mary's Prayer by Danny Wilson
This is a solid-gold one-hit wonder from '87! Do just like the band tells you:say 10 Hail Marys,and leave the light on in Heaven.
- 7. Human by The Human League
One of my favorite soft rock songs of the 80s-the instrumental version is great!
- 6. Two Hearts by Philip Collins
This song comes from Phil's movie "Buster", but the song (and his receding hairline) are better than the movie.
- 5. Keep On Lovin' You by REO Speedwagon
This is a classic from '81 and it still sounds great today.
- 4. The Neverending Story by Limahl
This song comes from the movie with the same title,and I like them both!
- 3. He's a Liar by The Bee Gees
Another Robin Gibb blockbuster! I have listened to this song for 20 years,and both the vocal and instrumental versions are still a classic in my top 10 list!
- 2. I Couldn't Say No by Robert Ellis Orrall and Carlene Carter
The perfect mix of country and rock! It may be from a 1-hit wonder,but it is still a good song!
- 1. Boys Do Fall in Love by Robin Gibb
One of my favorite songs of all time,and one of my favorite videos of all time! Even after 19 years,this song still rocks! Too bad MTV did not show the video,I'm sad to say,but I love that video!
- 10. Mr. Roboto by Styx
The best of Styx... different song... stands out from all others...
- 9. Jump by Van Halen
The synthesizer on the song just makes it memorable... guitar riffs are great as well.
- 8. Beat It by Michael Jackson
The guitars on this song are killer... Eddie van Halen made the difference. Great all around song... prolly his best one.
- 7. Working for the Weekend by Loverboy
Very catchy.. its got a good beat too.
- 6. Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Leppard
All rock all the time... great song!
- 5. Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go by Wham
George Michael... the dancing.. the beat... its got it all!
- 4. Died in Your Arms Tonight by Cutting Crew
Great song but very sad too.
- 3. Take Me Home Tonight by Eddy Money
Great song, catchy lyrics.
- 2. Dare by Stan Bush
Once again a great song from Stan, but no one heard it cause it was on a kid's movie.
- 1. The Touch by Stan Bush
Great inspirational song from Transformers the movie. Should have caught on more than it did.
So many songs to choose from.... Faith by George Michael is up there, as well as Relax by Frankie Goes to Hollywood, My Sharona by The Knack, etc... the list could go on forever. The 80s no matter what anyone says were a good several years for music.
- 10. How Deep Is Your Love by Bee Gees
si vos estar enamorado, cree y sueña con despierto que nada es imposible.....
- 9. Millenium by Robbie Williams
este hombre es super, su musica te inspira en muchas cosas y situaciones de tu vida.....
- 8. Bitter Sweet Symphony by The Verve
un grupo sensacional que ha de llamar la atencion con un gran sencillo...inolvidable!!
- 7. Losing My Religion by R.E.M.
un super clasico que no ha de morir nunca y pensas que tal vez sea un "icon" no crees??
- 6. Whiskey In The Jar by Metallica
con esta rola podras crear una party-love muy pero muy cool!!!!!! depende de vos.
- 5. The Nobodies by Marilyn Manson
pienso que bryan es algo fenomenal, imaginas que en la letra de sus canciones hay de que pensar..........
- 4. It`s No Good by Depeche Mode
si vos queres una rola sencilla que te haga volar ahi la tienes o.k.
- 3. Like A Prayer by Madonna
esta mujer crea canciones espectaculares, no hay alguien asi de barbara eeehhhh!!!
- 2. Fastlove by George Michael
una melodia genial, con un ritmo que te hace vibrar!
- 1. Careless Whisper by wham!
no hay forma de explicar una super barbara cancion.......no hay palabras!! wuuaahhhhhuuuu!!!!
Imaginas que todo fuera sueños.........el sentimiento que nace de ahi, se llama fe; que es cerrar los ojos ante si de una vez para siempre para no presenciar el espectaculo de una falsedad incurable....la musica crea cosas barbaras.
- 10. Red Wine by UB40
this song makes me think of the beach
- 9. I Think We're Alone Now by Tiffany
a great remake
- 8. Jump by Van Halen
- 7. Take On Me by AHA
great tune w/ an amazing video
- 6. Party All The Time by Eddie Murphy
Good ol' Eddie
- 5. Like A Virgin by Madonna
- 4. Dancin in the Dark by Bruce Springsteen
This video made Courtney Cox
- 3. Take My Breath Away by Berlin
- 2. Dont Stop Believin by Journey
this song will cheer anyone up
- 1. With or Without You by U2
an amazing song
- 10. She's Got The Look by Roxette
last and best!
- 9. Hot Stuff by Donna Summer
- 8. I Can't Stand Losing You by The Police
- 7. I Touch Myself by The Divinyls
- 6. A Little Respect by Wheatus
the fisrt song!!
- 5. 99 Luftballoons by Nena
a very good song..
- 4. Gloria by Laura Branigan
- 3. I Will Survive by Gloria Gaynor
exellent!!!! girls up!!
- 2. Like A Prayer by Madonna
- 1. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun by Cindy Lauper
dande, dance, dance!!!!
soy de argentina.... ke manejo el ingles ke tengo eeh?' weno, nada mas aguante TURF!!!!
By: Doug Shuga
- 10. Spanish Bombs by The Clash
The Clash needs to be on this list somewhere.
- 9. I'll Stop the World by English Beat
I'm not sure if its the Psychadelic Furs or a band called English Beat but regardless, its a great song. One of Britain's finest. (Editor's Note: 'Tis the English Beat.)
- 8. How Soon Is Now? by The Smiths
Everybody has heard this song at some point. Very dark and original.
- 7. Love Will Tear Us Apart by Joy Division
Another melancholy new wave great. Like a lot of new wave, this song could actually borders on real art, unlike most 80s songs.
- 6. Billie Jean by Michael Jackson
This song represents everything that made michael great in the 80s. I love the funk element and the video is great too.
- 5. Chains of Love by Erasure
Impossible not to sing along to.
- 4. White Wedding by Billy Idol
Billy Idol rocks! This is actually tied with his other big hit 'Rebel Yell'.
- 3. Bizarre Love Triangle by New Order
"Everytime I see you fallin I get down on my knees and pray!" This song just makes me want to dance.
- 2. Take on Me by Aha
Who doesn't remember this synth melody? Great catchy song with a revolutionary video to go with it
- 1. Depeche Mode by Enjoy the Silence
The definitive 80s new wave song for me. very gloomy and romantic.
This list is more about memorable songs than important musicians, and that said I'm sorry David Bowie didn't make this list. I'm also sorry Grand Master Flash's "The Message" didn't make it.
- 10. Girl Money by Kix
I think this was in the eighties, but anyway Kix rules
- 9. Billie Jean by Michael Jackson
- 8. Paradise City by Guns N Roses
- 7. Livin' On A Prayer by Bon Jovi
- 6. Walk This Way by Aerosmith/Run DMC
Had a massive effect on music
- 5. Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns N' Roses
- 4. Cum On Feel the Noise by Quiet Riot
- 3. I Wanna Rock by Twisted Sister
I WANNA ROCK!!!
- 2. Wanted Dead or Alive by Bon Jovi
- 1. Welcome To The Jungle by Guns N' Roses
This song just blew everything away and made GNR the biggest band in the world
By: SIDNEY GIOVANNI GALEANO
- 10. Rock The Bells by LL Cool J
there are too many great hip hop songs from the 80's
- 9. Borderline by Madonna
the beginning of a monster
- 8. Take The Skinheads Bowling by Camper Van Beethoven
the title says it all
- 7. Kiss Them For Me by Siouxsie & The Banshees
coolest girl/woman of the 80's...if you like the cure then you have to like siouxsie
- 6. Nasty Girl by Vanity 6
you gotta love nasty girls...i do...
- 5. Possessed To Skate by Suicidal Tendencies
skateboarding was my life in the mid 80's
- 4. Behind The Wheel by Depeche Mode
great live band
- 3. Just Like Heaven by The Cure
one of their more commercial songs, but still amazing. amazing band
- 2. Shoplifters Of The World by Smiths
silly, witty lyrics, great guitarist...just great!
- 1. So In Love by OMD
everyone knows "if you leave" but check out this one!
rob base "it takes 2", nitzer ebb "join in the chant", the nails, "88 lines about 44 women", slick rick "the show", romeo void "never say never", sonic youth "teenage riot", duran duran (too many songs), dead milkmen "instant club hit", etc, etc, etc
- 10. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For by U2 (1987)
- 9. What I Am by Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians (1989)
Cool tune with a simple message.
- 8. Welcome To the Jungle by Guns N' Roses (1989)
This was the Anthem of my high school days.
- 7. Let the Music Play (1984) by Shannon
More school dance memories...
- 6. Rock Of Ages by Def Leppard (1982)
This was my fave band through the 80's. My first concert at $12.50 a ticket. I was in love with Joe Elliott :-)
- 5. I Love Rock And Roll/Crimson And Clover by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts (1982)
My first cassette. I played it so much I had to get another one.
- 4. You Give Love A Bad Name (1986) by Bon Jovi
The hairspray days were the best. Bon Jovi rocked in concert.
- 3. Fast Car by Tracy Chapman (1988)
Her voice was unique.
- 2. Nothings' Gonna Stop Us Now by Jefferson Starship (1987)
I remember this song from junior high dances...hmm those were the days of innocence.
- 1. On The Dark Side by John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band (1983)
Eddie and the Cruisers was my favorite movie when I was younger.
The 80's was such a great time with many music variations. It started with break dance beats (Newcleus-Jam On It, Grand Master Flash - The Message)and then mixed in some pop (Human League, Prince, Madonna, Falco & Fine Young Cannibals) and ended with hairspray (Poison, Bon Jovi, Whitesnake & Def Leppard) I loved watching metal videos on MTV's head bangers ball (Helloween, Anthrax, Exodus, Malmstein, Alice Cooper and Metallica). The 80's rocked and was a wonderful time to grow up in.
I could make a top 100 list. I really LOVED the early 80's. I still miss those days !!
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.