In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
By: Lili Orellana
- 10. Love Is A Battlefield by Pat Benatar
One of her best songs
- 9. I Want A New Drug by Huey Lewis and the News
This is one of his best songs
- 8. I Want Your Sex by George Michael
- 7. On my Dreams by Reo Speewagon
The best romantic song of the 80īs
- 6. Bad Medicine by Bon Jovi
No coment, just listen.... itīs great
- 5. Pour Some Sugar on Me by Def Leppard
- 4. Take On Me by A-ha
The best song and the best video
- 3. Everyboby Have Fun Tonight by Wang Chung
You can dance all night!!!! and have fun tonight
- 2. Adicted to Love by Robert Palmer
Arenīt you adicted??
- 1. Like a Virgin by Madonna
The best of the best in the 80īs
We donīt have to forget Debbie Gibson, The Romantics, Metallica, Lionel Richie, and all the Bands and artist that we had in the 80īs. The best decade of 20 century. And the best music we ever had.
- 10. Summer Of '69 by Bryan Adams
- 9. These Boots Were Made For Walking by Lisa Germano
- 8. The Stroke by Billy Squier
- 7. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun by Cindi Lauper
- 6. Video Killed the Radio Star by Buggles
- 5. The Warrior by Scandal
- 4. We're Not Going To Take It by Twisted Sister
- 3. Here I Go Again by White Snake
- 2. You Spin Me by Dead or Alive
- 1. Sweet Child of Mine by Guns n Roses
these songs r i n no order part from number one there r so many other songs i could list 10 is just not enough
- 10. The La's by There She Goes
This song is really about Heroin, listen to the words next time.
- 9. The Icicle Works by Birds Fly (Whisper To A Scream)
The third best band to come out of Liverpool, but second to Echo And The Bunnymen is not bad.
- 8. Echo And The Bunnymen by Bring On The Dancing Horses
The second best band to come out of Liverpool, but second to The Beatles is not bad.
- 7. Cure by A Letter To Elise
Best Cure song. Enough said.
- 6. Too Shy by Kajagoogoo
With a name like that it has to be good.
- 5. Relax by Frankie Goes To Hollywood
Check your closet, you know you have a "Frankie Says Relax" T - shirt.
- 4. What do all the people know? by The Monroes
Honestly, how catchy is this song?
- 3. Rush by The Camera Eye
The best rock band to come out of Canada, and perhaps the best in the world, Their epic songs are the best and this one is no exception.
- 2. Bizzare Love Triangle by New Order
Perhaps the most covered song out of the 80's, and with good reason...its so cool!!!
- 1. Space Age Love Song by A Flock Of Seagulls
Way better than "I Ran" or "Wishing", the lyrics, the beat, everything about this song is just great, it epitomizes the 80's!!
I love the 80's
- 10. Here I Go Again -87 by White Snake
- 9. Eye Of The Tiger -82 by Survivor
- 8. How Soon Is Now -85 by The Smiths
- 7. Fight For Your Right To Party -86 by Beastie Boys
- 6. Radio Free Europe -81 by REM
- 5. Crazy Train -80 by Ozzy Osbourne
- 4. Sweet Child Of Mine -88 by Guns N Roses
- 3. Handle With Care -89 by Travelling Wilburys
- 2. Jump -84 by Van Halen
- 1. New Years Day -83 by U2
Also good ones: *Shattered Dreams-Johhny Hates Jazz* *Major Tom-Peter Schilling* *Friday I'm in love & Lovesong-The Cure* *Must have been love-Roxette* * I miss you-Klymaxx
- 10. Take On Me by Aha
When you think of the 80s, how can you not think of this song?
- 9. Lets Make Lots Of Money by Pet Shop Boys
Kinda mixed with the Yuppie era.
- 8. Thriller by Michael Jackson
If only he made that type of music again...
- 7. Livin' On A Prayer by Bon Jovi
I love it when metal bands show their soft side
- 6. Sunglasses At Night by Corey Hart
The video is SOOOOOO funny! The whole song is just hilarious...
- 5. Nena by 99 Red Balloons
An attempt to bring activist songs into the 80s. It sort of succeeded. I like it anywho =)
- 4. Enter Sandman by Metallica
Metallica Rocks. Thats all there is to it.
- 3. Love Song by The Cure
It was amazing that this song came from a band whose image was like the cure. They were the original emo and they rock. All of their songs.
- 2. If You Leave by OMD
This song is so beautiful. And I love DUCKY!!!! (Pretty in Pink)
- 1. I Wanna Be Sedated by The Ramones
The Ramones rock. I can really relate to this song too.
11) "Wake Me Up" Wham, 12) "Dancing With Myself" Billy Idol 13) "Don't They Know Its Christmas Time?" Band Aid 14) "Manic Monday" The Bangles 15) "Dead Man's Party" Oingo Boingo 16) "Rappers Delight" Sugar Hill Gang 17)"Talking In Your Sleep" Romantics 18)"Rock Me Amadeus" Falco 19) "Luka" Susan Vega 20) "8675309 (Jenny)" Tommy Tutone Band. There are many many many other 80s songs I love....
- 10. Great Southern Land by Icehouse
You can practically feel Australia in the lyrics and melody. Vastly superior song to "Down Under"
- 9. Two Tribes by Frankie Goes To Hollywood
Relax was closer to the breakthrough but I like Two Tribes more (so there!. This was the band that rehabilitated dance music after the post-disco collapse.
- 8. Pride by U2
...because there has to be a U2 song in the list....
- 7. Wild Wild Life by Talking Heads
The best American band of the decade.
- 6. Life's What You Make It by Talk Talk
Quintessential 80's sound. What happened to them??
- 5. News at Ten by The Vapors
One of the best early 80's Brit songs about disaffected youth.
- 4. Vienna by Ultravox
Perhaps the most influential song in shaping the sounds of this decade
- 3. Every Breath You Take by The Police
Haunting Lyrics with slightly menacing undertones. Sting at his best.
- 2. I Got You by Split Enz
A band ahead of their time. Every NZer in their '30s knows the words to this song.
- 1. Waterfront by Simple Minds
Pumping beat; great 80's lyrics; a great 80's band.
So many more could have made it..."Do They Know It's Christmas?", "Billie Jean", anything by Bon Jovi, "Money for Nothing", etc etc....
By: Dennis Shen
- 10. Here I Go Again by Whitesnake
David Coverdale's burly voice made this song. Whitesnake of course helped but it mostly just Coverdale and the guitars of vandenberg. a solid rock anthem that led the band to selling 8 million albums.
- 9. Jump by Van Halen
#11 best song ever written. im not sure if its that great but it sure as hell was the pinnacle of a band that is now recognized certainly as one of rocks finest. the 1984 album totally rocked and this song was certainly a reason for it. the keyboard by eddie was unique and diamond dave was his usual self.
- 8. Heaven by Warrant
wow, i used to spend hours listening to this song over and over and over again. Great power ballad- the very epitome of one. And yea, also great lyrics and Jani Lane's best performance to date.
- 7. Pour Some Sugar on Me by Def Leppard
a song im pretty sure every1 is familiar with, even the new crowd as it has been a Volkswagon commericial i believe it was recently. probably one of the best understood sexual metaphors ever written.
- 6. Back in Black by AC/DC
who can forget the beginning to this song? bum, buh dum dum, buh dumm dumm. this song was the apex of the great history of AC/DC.
- 5. Janie's Got a Gun by Aerosmith
yea, this song rocked as does the members of Aerosmith. Janie's is perhaps Steve tyler's finest song writting showcased. this wasnt the usual 1232-22 song w/ 2 being the chorus song, it had its own rhythm.
- 4. Livin' on a Prayer by Bon Jovi
Probably every girls favorite song in the 80s. Jon bon jovi took the lyrics to a new all-time high note during this song, reaching octaves never seen before. #26 best song ever ranked by Vh1 and it deserves it- a great anthem with a actual good theme.
- 3. Paradise City by Guns N' Roses
Best Rock Anthem of the 80s- hands down. Come on, can you write any better lyrics than "take me down to the paradise city where the grass is green and the girls are pretty" ? I cant say enough about this song but im sure every1 is familiar enough w/ paradise city that i dont have to explain any of it... and yea, great performance at the 2002 vma's by Axl and the other new guys.
- 2. Love Bites by Def Leppard
Best power ballad ever written. Def Leppard reached its pinnacle in '86 w/ Hysteria and this song was right there topping the billboard charts. I absolutely love everything about this song from the guitar playing during the chorus to the usual Def Leppard unique sound.
- 1. Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns N' Roses
Best song of the 80s, if you watch VH1 ever- u will notice that it is also ranked the third best song ever written. Awesome lyrics, awesome performance axl, great guitar playing (especially the best solo ever) by Slash, and lastly of course a solid performance out of Duff, Izzy, and Steven. Music Video is also a life performance adding to the qualifications of this song which was on the charts for wat like 2 years.
Notables: "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" - Poison, "you shook me all night long" - AC/DC, "Panama" - Van Halen, "Rock you like a hurricane" - Scorpions, "The final countdown" - Europe, "Nothin' but a good time" - Poison, "wanted dead or alive" - Bon Jovi, "Lay your hands on me" - Bon jovi, "welcome to the jungle" - guns n' roses, "patience" - guns n' roses
- 10. Lovecats by The Cure
This song is just.. sexy. Period.
- 9. Reflex by Duran Duran
WOW! This is one I still can listen to multiple times!
- 8. Theme From Dallas by Who Knows!
Ok, the most popular soap of all time.. remember those shirts from Jr. High saying "I shot JR" ? Ok, maybe some of you were elsewhere :-)
- 7. Celebration by Kool & The Gang
Made me wish I had come of age in the 70's instead of mid 80's!
- 6. 19 by Paul Hardcastle
First time I heard this was in Acupulco on vacation.. it still seems liks yesterday!
- 5. Velcro Fly by ZZ Top
Hey, there's just something really cool about three bearded guys and a disappearing car.
- 4. You're In Love by RATT
A song to get the adrenaline going!
- 3. Spin Me Around by Dead or Alive
Overplayed but still can't help wanting to dance when I hear this even today!
- 2. Dream Myself Alive by A-Ha
A *GREAT* 80's band with meaningful lyrics and fast-paced beat
- 1. Never Let Me Down Again by Depeche Mode
Awesome song about trust... and maybe something else?
I thought the 80's were about greed.. Bush & Co makes it look like a communist revolution by comparison to what they're doing! WAKE UP!!!
- 10. Blood and Roses by The Smithereens
The Smithereens just reeked of total and utter coolness.
- 9. Hoodoo Gurus by Dig It Up
Love. Six feet under. What's not to like?
- 8. Read About It by Midnight Oil
My first experience with angry politics and music. Still the best.
- 7. Rapper's Delight by Sugar Hill Gang
Would rap have ever gone mainstream without this song?
- 6. Sunday Bloody Sunday by U2
Another powerful song. U2 influenced so many bands later in the 80s and 90s
- 5. In a Big Country by Big Country
Had anyone heard guitars played like that before?
- 4. Always Something There to Remind Me by Naked Eyes
This song STILL gets airplay on the radio and still doesn't sound stale. Enough said.
- 3. Who Can It Be Now by Men At Work
C'mon! Who STILL doesn't think this song is cool??
- 2. I Confess by The English Beat
Powerful! Dave Wakeling was a very underrated 80s vocalist.
- 1. Don't Change by INXS
If I was shipwrecked and could only bring one song with me...
I wanted to include "Fish Heads" by Barnes and Barnes until I found out the song came out in '79. But why quibble?
LETS' TALK ABOUT THAT PETROL EMOTION LAURENT VOULZY ALDO NOVA RICK SPRINGFIELD LEO SAWYER KINKS
- 10. Always On My Mind by Pet Shop Boys
reminds me of elvis!!
- 9. Jealousy by Club Noveau
reminds you never to be jealous!!
- 8. Carribean Queen by Billy Ocean
one of those songs you listen to when you wanna smile!!
- 7. I Need Love by LL Cool J
smoothest rap ever!!
- 6. And The Beat Goes On by Whispers
who can forget this one?
- 5. Everywhere by Fleetwood Mac
- 4. Don't Stop Till You Get Enough by Michael Jackson
reminds me of my childhood!!
- 3. Stuck On You by Lionel Richie
this one just makes you remember the "one" who got away!!
- 2. Holiday by Madonna
- 1. Rumours by Timex Social Club
this song just makes me happy!!
these are just top of the head, 10 is too small a number to classify my all time favourite songs!!
Most beautiful female voice - Olivia Newton John Most beautiful male voice - Morten from A-HA Most beautiful singer - Belinda Carlisle Most beautiful songs - Belinda Carlisle
By: Leper Messiah
- 10. When The Children Cry by White Lion
3rd greatest song EVER written!!
- 9. The Touch by Stan Bush
YOU'VE GOT THE TOUCH, UVE GOT THE POWER!!!
- 8. Real American by Rick Derringer
im not american but it still rules
- 7. Leper Messiah by Metallica
not their most famous, but joint best...it was either this or sanitarium
- 6. Nothin's Gonna Stand In Our Way by Spectre General
speed metal + techno = AWESOMENESS
- 5. Armageddon It by Def Leppard
THERE BEST SONG!!!
- 4. Jump by Van Halen
so catchy i wanna puke!
- 3. The Ultimate Sin by Ozzy Ozbourne
- 2. Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns N Roses
the song that me and my gf 1st danced 2 :)
- 1. Eye Of The Tiger by Survivor
good song..but not good enough
like em? email me wid comments :)
By: Karl von Bahnhof
I havenīt attached comments because I canīt fully express my attitude to these songs in english. I like them all as far as I like all this decade I was discovering the world around...:)
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.