Timeline of the 80s, 1981
This is a list of important events the occured during 1981. Exact dates
are listed when known.
- The 1st launch of a space shuttle (Columbia)
- Reagan fires the striking air traffic controllers and breaks up their union.
- Pope shot by insane Turk, May 13.
- Sandra Day O'Connor becomes first female Supreme Court Justice
- Mitterand becomes French president (and will remain pres. well into the 90s)
- Prince Charles and Diana Spencer marry on July 29
- Luke and Lauras's Wedding (General Hospital), Most watched wedding in history next to Charles and Diana.
- Dynasty premiers in primetime hours and becomes a hit.
- The US Agriculture Department trys making ketchup a school lunch vegetable
- The first IBM-PC's begin to roll of the lines.
- The first DeLorean sports cars roll off the assembly line.
- August 1, The birth of MTV, the 24 hour-a-day music television station
- Private satelite dishes are given the ok by the FCC
- Fruit fly break out in California.
- Regan starts toying with the Libyains, and deploys ships in the Gulf of Sidra, which Libya claimed rights to even though no one else recognized it as theirs.
- Pac-Man is introduced in the US and sparks a huge craze.
- Spain allows legal divorces.
- Poland government crushes the Solidarity movement.
- The first reports of homosexual men dying due to a mysterious breakdown of the bodies' immuminzation system. Later it becomes known as Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome, aka AIDS and researches realize it can strike anyone.
- 52 American hostages released in January after 14 months in captivity in Iran
- Antigua gained its independence November 1,1981
- Assasination attempt on Ronald Regean on March 30, 1981 by John Hinkley