Timeline of the 80s, 1988
This is a list of important events the occured during 1988. Exact dates
are listed when known.
- CDs outsell vinyl for the first time ever.
- Soviets leave Afghanistan
- Jimmy Swaggart admits to being with prostitutes.
- Summer Olympics in Seoul, South-Korea; Ben Johnson caught for steriods after setting a World Record in the 100 meter dash.
- Pan Am Flight 103 explodes over Lockerbie, Scotland; Lybian terrorists are suspected of planting the bomb
- Earthquake in the USSR
- Bobby McFerrin tells everyone "Don't worry, be happy"
- Prozac is introduced as an anti-depresent.
- US advertising is permitted on Soviet TV
- The first plutonium pacemaker is made.
- World's longest undersea tunnel is completed. Work begins on the Chunnel which will then become the world's longest undersea tunnel.
- Sonny Bono becomes Mayor in Palm Springs.
- Robin Givens files for divorce from Mike Tyson
- Benazir Bhutto becomes the first woman to head an Islamic nation
- Willie Horton ads during the '88 re-election
- Dukakis loses to the "Read My Lips" guy, he's never heard from again.
- McDonalds in the USSR (might have been 1989)
- Long Island beaches close due to medical waste coming ashore July 6th.
- Iran-Iraqi war ends in August.
- Human Genome project begins.
- Soviets withdraw from Afghanastan.
- Australia celebrates it's bicentenary
- Supreme Court case, California v. Greenwood, tested the Bill of Rights 4th Amendment, addressing search and seizure in trash.
- Fires in Yellowstone National Park. The rains didn't come when expected but months later.