Timeline of the 80s, 1982
This is a list of important events the occured during 1982. Exact dates
are listed when known.
- Michael Jackson's "Thriller" sells 20 million albums to become the largest selling record ever.
- Ozzy bites the head off a live bat thrown at him at a January 20 performance.
- Argentina invades the Falklands (UK); Argentina has to withdraw its troops after two months.
- Italy wins the Soccer World Cup in Spain
- Helmut Kohl becomes chancellor in Germany (and STILL is chancellor)
- Leonid Breznjev dies, Yuri Andropov takes over
- The Reverend Sun Myung Moon marries 4,150 of his "Moonie" followers at Madison Square Garden.
- Tylenol Scare, October 5th
- Nancy Reagan appears at a Washington benefit dressed as a bag lady to protest criticism of her expensive outfits.
- Princess Grace of Monaco dies when her car hurtles over a cliff.
- John Belushi dies March 5 of cocaine and herion.
- Prine William is born to Charles and Di.
- Mexico's economy collapses.
- Liposuction is introduced.
- Telephone company breaks up into 22 distinct regional phone companies.
- The Equal Rights Amendment dies, three states short of ratification.
- The Vietnam Memorial is erected in Washington D.C.
- The first artificial heart transplant takes place, the receipent lives 112 days.
- Delorean Motor Company goes bankrupt
- Larry Walters on July 2nd ties 42 weather balloons to a lawn chair and flies as high as 16 thousand feet before shooting the balloons with a pellet gun and landing about 90 minutes later. The FAA fined him $1,500.