Timeline of the 80s, 1986
This is a list of important events the occured during 1986. Exact dates
are listed when known.
- January 28, the Challenger explodes.
- Worst nuclear disaster ever in Chernobyl, USSR, April.
- In Nyos, Cameroon, a cloud of carbon dioxide rumbled out of the nearby lake Nyos on August 21 and killed approximently 1,700 people.
- Bill Buckner lets World Series squirt through his legs. The Mets win in 7 games.
- US vs Lybia's Col. Khadafi
- Argentina wins Soccer World Cup in Mexico
- Fox Network starts in America
- June 19th, Len Bias, a first round pick by the Celtics, died of a cocaine overdose.
- Mandatory recycling programs started in Rhode Island.
- Iran Contra Scandal (Who can forget Ollie North?) is reported in November in a Lebanese magazine.
- Vice President George Bush's broccoli incident, tons of the stuff is delivered to the White House.
- Return of Haley's Comet
- Hands Across America, May 25, 1986
- Statue of Liberty celebrates the 100th Anniversary and gets a face lift in the process.
- Arnold Schwarzenegger marries Maria Shriver.
- Kurt Waldheim's Nazi past is revealed as he runs for president of Austria, and he still wins despite having been a staff officer responsible for deporting thousands of Greek Jews to the concentration camps.
- "A.M. Chicago" changes its name to the "Oprah Winfrey Show" and goes national September 8th.
- Turner Broadcasting begins to colorize black and white classics.
- Miami Hurricanes' Quarterback Vinny Testaverde wins the Heisman Trophy
- John McCarthy, a British journalist was kidnapped by Islamic Jihad. Remained in captivity for a staggering 5.5 years.
- America celebrates national holiday Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. day for the first time.
- Not only did the Red Sox went to the World Series (They lost in 7 to the Mets) ,the Boston Celtics won the 1986 NBA Championship, and New England went to the the Super Bowl but lost to the Chicago Bears 46-10.
- Supermodel Gia, after years of heroin addiction, dies of AIDS. She is the first woman to sucumb to the AIDS virus in the US.
- Election of Corazon Aquino ends corrupt Marcos regime in the Philippines. "Win or lose, we go shopping after the election." - Imelda Marcos