Top Ten Lists of Eighties Albums
What are your top ten favorite albums from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: stingr22. Past editor: Junior
By: Erin Malloy
- 10. Decade by Duran Duran
I bought this one in 1990, and soon after realized how much I missed their songs. Ok, some were cheesy, but admit it, they had some pretty catchy tunes. Now if only I could remember what the new stuff sounded like...
- 9. Like a Virgin by Madonna
Not one of my favorite artists or albums for that matter, but it seems to be the best of what she's done. She seemed so harmless back then.
- 8. The Lion and the Cobra by Sinead O'Connor
This marked Sinead's debut in 1988, and still is one of the best records I've ever heard. For people who only remember Sinead with hair, my deepest condolences. She was a lot more fun to listen to when she was pissed off!
- 7. The Whole Story by Kate Bush
Poor Kate. Nobody ever seems to notice her. Since this is a compilation, not all the songs are from the 80's, and not all her best 80's songs are on here. But it's a good place to start if you never heard of her. For advanced Kate fans, try Hounds of Love.
- 6. Colour By Numbers by Culture Club
Still one of the best damn records ever made. Nobody,but nobody could do white soul like Boy George. The rest of the record is pure 80's, but that's half the fun of it. It's an immediate flashback.
- 5. Tracy Chapman by Tracy Chapman
Her 1988 debut. I can't begin to explain how odd it was in the 80's to see a little black lady with Buckwheat braids playing an accoustic guitar, but she did it, and did it well at that. Half the idiot "strong women" singers today are a rip off of her and Sinead O' Connor. If that's your cup of tea, go hear how the big girls play...
- 4. Synchronicity by Police
By far the best (and most commercial) Police album. But also one of the most intresting and complex. Sting was much more fun when he didn't have this Rainforest bug up his ass...
- 3. Purple Rain by Prince
Man, I wore this one out! He was the man of the 80's!
- 2. Sweet Dreams by Eurythmics
Defies description. Sounds as odd today as it did in 1983, and that was before Manson got a hold of the title track.
- 1. Thriller by Michael Jackson
Maybe not the best or most intresting of the bunch, but its probably sold more copies than the other 9 put together. But just remember this-popularity breeds contempt!
I'm only doing this off the top of my head, ok.
By: Eric Wagner
- 10. The Singles-45 And Under by Squeeze
Well Crafted Pop Tunes.
- 9. A New Flame by Simpley Red
A Great Mixture Of Jazz.Pop &Rock Tunes
- 8. The Pretenders by The Pretenders
Finally A Band With A Rockin Chick.
- 7. El Rayo-x by David Lindley
Lotta Funky Covers.
- 6. Rebel Yell by Billy Idol
- 5. Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll by Ian Dury & The Blockheads
Humorous & Clever.
- 4. Too Rye-ay by Dexys Midnight Runners
A Couple 3-4 Listens And Your Hooked.
- 3. 1999 by Prince & The Revolution
- 2. Double Fantasy by John Lennon
- 1. Sonic Temple by The Cult
Good Heavy R&R
By: Lukas Kautzsch
I've left out two great live albums from 1980 (Supertramp, "Paris" / Whitesnake, "Live... in the heart of the city") which are in fact samplers of 70's music (not so much different from the first two on the list...)
- 10. Operation Mindcrime by Queensryche
A great Album. Tells a story that you must figure out for yourself.
- 9. Slippery When Wet by Bon Jovi
Loved the Band....saw the Concert... Met the Band...Great Guys!
- 8. Back in Black by AC/DC
No explanation should be necessary.
- 7. Trick or Treat by Fast Way
Great Metal soundtrack. The movie was good too.
- 6. Randy Rhodes Tribute by Ozzy
Great Tribute to one of the greatest Guitarist ever.
- 5. Invasion of Your Privacy by Ratt
Just some great music!
- 4. Look What The Cat Dragged In by Poison
A great album...It was just about having Fun! We could use "Fun" music today.
- 3. Back For the Attack by Dokken
Most Dokken fans say Tooth and Nail was their best but I loved this one!
- 2. Pyromania by Def Leppard
Best band to Rock our Universe!
- 1. Hysteria by Def Leppard
One of the Top selling albums of the 80's and one of the longest Tours ever! Nuff said!
This was very hard too but here it goes. Honorable Mentions:Night Ranger, "Midnite Madness", Stryper, "To Hell With the Devil", Boston, "Third Stage", Rush, "Moving Pictures", White Snake, "Slip of the Tongue." Thanks Again for giving all us Children of The 80's a place to visit some of our best Movies and a Voice to tell our Favs!
- 10. Hi Infidelity by REO Speedwagon
Great album...Does "Keep On Loving You" remind everyone from that era of a past love?
- 9. Flashback by 38 Special
A really good "Southern" rock band
- 8. The Right To Rock by Keel
- 7. Appetite For Destruction by Guns 'N Roses
- 6. Subject....Aldo Nova by Aldo Nova
KILLER (and underrated) guitarist
- 5. Under Lock And Key by Dokken
- 4. Nature Of The Beast by April Wine
- 3. Fifth Angel by Fifth Angel
Incredible band!!!!! If anyone has this cd and would like to sell it or trade for it, please e-mail me, I'll pay good money for it!!!
- 2. Wild In The Streets by Helix
See above comments (Fifth Angel)
- 1. Don't Say No by Billy Squier
Is there a bad song on this cd?
Cool webpage!! I have to admit that I'm stuck in the 80's. Remember when you would buy an album/cass/cd and every song on it was good? Not anymore. I think that is why so many performers release cd singles, because they know the rest of the album blows!! Anyway, keep up the good work, and here's my list: Thanks!!!!
Previous List or Next List
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Albums submission page.