In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
By: Kyla Siler
- 10. Pump It Up by MC Hammer
He used to entertain the hell outta me! That man was the next best thing to Micheal (Jackson)
- 9. Fight The Power by Public enemy
Loved it! It represented power.
- 8. West End Girls by Pet Shop Boys
Where were they from? I loved the accent! It's alomst like they were rapping but they weren't.
- 7. It's The Way That You Love Me by Paula Abdoul
She was then what Jennifer lopez is now. She wasn't the best singer but Paula could dance and she was an entertainer.
- 6. I Can Tell You (night& Day) by Al B Sure!
He was so sexy! And him being able to write his own songs only added to that. Memories, memories, memories.
- 5. Startin Something by Micheal Jackson
In my opinion, this song was better then Thriller.
- 4. Steppin Out by Joe Jackson
Now, even if you couldn't dance...you were gonna dance to this!
- 3. Hanging On A String by Loose ends
Loved it. Brings back so many memories. I loved the beat.
- 2. Morning Train by Sheena Easton
I think it's perfect because it's an upbeat love song. A lot of love songs are slow but this one was upbeat and you could dance to it. I liked the way her baby took the train everyday to make sure she had what she wanted.
- 1. True by Spandau Ballet
Perfect love song.
Loved the 80s.
- 10. Break Out by Swing Out Sister
Pure cheese!!! But catchy!
- 9. Poison by Bel Biv Devoe
Oh, admit it! You liked it, too!
- 8. Love Plus One by Haircut 100
- 7. Mandinka by Sinead O'Connor
- 6. Sister Christian/ All Cried Out by Night Ranger/ Lisa Lisa and the Cult Jam
Eek. These are truly guilty pleaures. Great music to get the tears flowing.
- 5. Inside Out by Mighty Lemon Drops
- 4. Bigmouth Strikes Again by The Smiths
I'd like to bludgeon you in the head.
- 3. Cigarrette by The Smithereens
- 2. Happy Hour by The Housemartins
Any song that celebrates happy hour deserves rank.
- 1. Balloon Man by Robin Hitchcock and the Egyptians
By: adam welch
I still think it should be top twenty, because there are so many good songs made in each decade.
By: Kris Lawrence
- 10. Like A Prayer by Madonna
I loved the video especially the Burning cross scene. WOW!
- 9. Rock Me Amadues by Falco
I the beat of the song.
- 8. I Hate Myself For Loving You by Joan Jett
This is pretty much my life.
- 7. Here I Go Again by Whitesnake
My theme spng to my life.
- 6. What About Love by Heart
Good song to listen to when going through depression.
- 5. Take My Breath Away by Berlin
- 4. Tell It To My Heart by Taylor Dayne
Good dance beat to it.
- 3. Beds Are Burnin by Midnight Oil
I love this song. I love their Australian accents.
- 2. Toy Soldiers by Martika
This is a great song. I love the guitar solo too.
- 1. Heart And Soul by T'Pau
This has got such a great beat. Its not quite a love song but yet it is. Its got sultry dance to it too!
By: D Shen
- 10. Jump by Van Halen
#11 best song ever as rated by VH1's best 100 songs ever written in the past 25 years. Eddie Van Halen can do it all and it shows here. Not to mention Diamond Dave was still at the top of his game.
- 9. Rock of Ages by Def Leppard
who doesn't know the lyrics to this song somewhere in their head?? "rock of ages, rock of ages, keep rollin', rock and rollin'" - i mean honestly, every1 loves this song, they just sometimes dont know it. another pyromania hit.
- 8. Janie's Got a Gun by Aerosmith
great song with an actual motive in mind. great message and music video accompanying it. Pump is my fav Aerosmith album because of this huge hit.
- 7. Patience by Guns N' Roses
showed an emotional side to the band in this G'n'R Lies song. possibly one of the most widely covered songs ever. the accoustics are great as is the message behind the song. awesome music video also. and yea, almost demonstrated that Axl can 1) sing like no1 else 2) play piano 3) somewhat play guitar and 4) whistle too
- 6. Foolin by Def Leppard
Pyromania was simply an amazing album. This song is no different- ahhhh - F-F-F-Foolin'
- 5. Livin' on a Prayer by Bon Jovi
the mass hysteria about the band and song in the mid-80s is ridiculous. a great song, definitely Bon Jovi at their best. Stadium rock at its best. Slippery when wet earned a spot as one of hte top selling albums ever and this song is certainly a reason why.
- 4. Paradise City by Guns N' Roses
puracy in the realm of rock n' roll. rock anthems dont get any better than this. guitar, guitar, guitar, and well... more guitar. The music video for this song is great and the six minutes of Paradise City can be played over and over again to no tiring. i mean come on "take me down to the paradise city where the grass is green and the girls are pretty" - can u really sang anything against that?
- 3. Photograph by Def Leppard
top song on the breakout album for Def Leppard- Pyromania. not much I can say here except that I absolutely love listening to this song as do the millions of other Def Leppard fans.
- 2. Love Bites by Def Leppard
My favorite power ballad as this genre of music became known. Possibly the greatest performance by a man with only one arm as well... Joe Elliot delivered some of the highest notes heard by man in the chorus and the ideal Def Leppard sound accompanied. Hysteria is one of the best albums ever and this song is one of hte main elements.
- 1. Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns N' Roses
Best band- best song. Greatest ballad ever written by a band that showed it can do almost anything w/ their debut album. Defining lyrics by Axl, rockin' guitar solos by Slash, and overall outstanding backup by rhythm guitarist Izzy, bassist Duff, and drummer Steven. Best song of 1987 and it still is today.
11) "Lay your Hands on Me" by Bon Jovi 12) "Pour Some Sugar on Me" by Def Leppard 13) "Heaven" by Warrant, 14) "Welcome to the Jungle" by Guns N' Roses, 15) "Armaggedon It" by Def Leppard, 16) "Every Rose has its Thorn" by Poison, 17) "Love in an Elevator" by Aerosmith, 18) "Back in Black" by AC/DC, 19) "Rock This Way" by Aerosmith/Run DMC, 20) "Panama" by Van Halen, 21) "Here I Go Again" by Whitesnake, 22) "Rock You Like a Hurricane" by Scorpions, 23) "Nothin' but a Good Time" by Poison, 24) "I'll be there for you" by Bon Jovi, 25) "Open Arms" by Journey
- 10. Stand By Me by Ben E. King
- 9. Love Bites by Def Leppard
- 8. Can't Stop Lovin' You by Van Halen
A nice song .. with amazin' lyrics...
- 7. Wherever I May Roam by Metallica
- 6. Eye Of The Tiger by Survivor
- 5. Living On A Prayer by Bon Jovi
- 4. Summer of '69 by Bryan Adams
A classic ... has a nostalgic feel 2 it..
- 3. Where The Streets Have No Name by U2
- 2. With Or Without You by U2
A gr8 hauting melody
- 1. Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Leppard
An awesome ..catchy song ... great drummin' & guitars ... a superb band!!
By: francisco contreras
- 10. Start Me Up by The Rolling Stones
what can i say? a 60's band that made a grat 80's song
- 9. You Give Love A Bad Name / Livin' On A Prayer by Bon Jovi
- 8. I Ran (so Far Away) by A Flock Of Seagulls
- 7. Heaven Is A Place On Earth by Belinda Carlislie
- 6. What A Feeling / Fame by Irene Cara
- 5. Shake It Up by The Cars
- 4. Tarzan Boy by Baltimora
- 3. All The Love In The World / Your Love by The Outfield
the 80's feeling captured in 2 songs. you hear them and they'll take you back to that days
- 2. Girls Just Want To Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper
well this was the female (or male?) version of boy george
- 1. Karma Chameleon by Culture Club
what can i tell you? boy george is the face of the 80's
these songs are maybe not too deep but i choose them beacuse of the songs (and good ones) that i could have chosen these are the ones with the eighties sound and feeling so maybe those are the best 80's songs not the most outstanding songs that are timeless but the ones that are just 80's and that no one could place in any other dacade
- 10. Cruel Summer by Bananarama
I was born 4 years after this song was released. I heard it on one of this 80's complications and just fell in love with it.
- 9. Too Shy by Kajagoogoo
Another song which makes me feel better. Their haircuts make me laugh :)
- 8. Im Nin'alu by Ofra Haza
Very nice unusual song which went to number one in Germany.
- 7. Touch Me by Samantha Fox
I love this one! It's classic in my collection! The lyrics were really cool "Touch me, touch me I wanna fell your body ..."
- 6. I Should Be So Lucky by Kylie Minogue
I guess everyone in UK was singing this song after five weeks at #1 position. I think it's one of the best Kylie's songs.
- 5. You Keep Me Hanging On by Kim Wilde
This one is a cover but I don't remember whose. Nevermind. Song has the power!
- 4. Ghost Busters by Ray Parker Jr.
- 3. I Get Weak by Belinda Carlisle
I was chosing between Heaven Is A Place On Earth and I Get Weak but I think this song is better. ROCK!
- 2. Straight Up by Paula Abdul
I'm her fan so I had to mention her. One of my MANY favourites of Paula. This song is like science fiction.
- 1. Self Control by Laura Branigan
LOVE IT!!! The video to the song makes me shivering! All time favourite!
- 10. Heaven Is A Place On Earth by Belinda Carlisle
- 9. Wake Me Up Before You Go Go by Wham
- 8. Especially For You by Kylie And Jason
- 7. Never Gonna Give You Up by Rick Astly
- 6. The Right Stuff by New Kids On The Block
- 5. Eternal Flame by The Bangles
- 4. Venus by Bananarama
- 3. Too Many Broken Hearts by Jason Donavon
- 2. Like A Virgin by Madonna
- 1. I Should Be So Lucky by Kylie Minogue
- 10. Saving All My Love For You by Whitney Houston
just isn't the 80s without her in any 10 top of the 80s.
- 9. Puss In Boots by Adam Ant
ant mania hit the nation.sorry to see him go the way he has.
- 8. Hands To Heaven by Breathe
must be heard if you get a chance
- 7. Wishing Well by Terence Trent Darby
- 6. Crazy For You by Madonna
met my first girl friend to this song,madonna the first real female star
- 5. Star Trekkin by The Firm
just so 80s
- 4. Big In Japan by Alphaville
still listen to this song just brill
- 3. I.o.u. by Freeze
great dance tune
- 2. I Just Called To Say I Love You by Stevie Wonder
could have been my number 1 choice but george just edged it.
- 1. Careless Whisper by George Michael
the best love song of all time,george is the best british singer/song writer since john lennon.
other fab songs.the model - kraftwerk,give me your heart tonight - shakin stevens,take on me - a ha,rock me amedeaus - falco,borderline - madonna.
- 10. Two Tribes by Frankie Goes To Hollywood
- 9. Fight For Your Right To Party by Beastie Boys
- 8. Turbo Lover by Judas Priest
- 7. Rapper's Delight by Sugarhill Gang
- 6. Red Red Wine by Ub40
- 5. Tears For Fears by Everybody Wants To Rule The World
- 4. Grandmaster Flash by The Message
- 3. Gary Numan by Cars
- 2. She Sells Santuary by The Cult
- 1. I Ran by Flock Of Seagulls
By: Pierce Matthews
- 10. Boys Dont Cry by The Cure
great break-up song
- 9. Dont Forget Me When Im Gone by Glass Tiger
Greatest Canadian 80's band
- 8. Where The Streets Have No Name by U2
The video was amazing...rebellious
- 7. Love Bites by Def Leppard
Great monster balllad in the 80's
- 6. Relax by Frankie Goes to Hollywood
Amazing tune for the dance club
- 5. Wake Me Up Before You Go-go by Wham
The duo of duo's!
- 4. Sunday Bloody Sunday by U2
A song that rocked and was very political.
- 3. Karma Chameleon by Culture Club
Boy George in his finest.
- 2. Close To Me by The Cure
A song that really made the band universal.
- 1. With or Without You by U2
A classic 80's love song!
By: Thomas Bond
- 10. Valerie by Steve Winwood
A commonly overlooked song from 1986. It's got everything 80's that you all love. Wonder what happened to him after "Roll With It" came out...
- 9. With or Without You by U2
The ballad I feel is U2's finest piece. This came out the year I graduated in 1987. Bono's voice craves sex appeal in this song (And this is coming from a guy!)
- 8. Tonight, Tonight, Tonight by Genesis
Again, all keyboards, drum machines, and guitars. The 80's never sounded so good in this song. Make SURE you get the full 8 minute version of this, and play it LOUD!
- 7. Wouldn't It Be Good by Nik Kershaw
This song emulated what the 80's were all about. Keyboards, and one hit wonders.
- 6. Every Breath You Take by The Police
In MY opinion, the greatest song of the 80's decade, bar none. It's success and smooth bass line make it a classic, even though it's a stalker song! lol
- 5. I Can't Hold Back by Survivor
Play this song on a first date with someone you've known a while! Worked for me ;)
- 4. Valotte by Julian Lennon
When I first heard this song, it scared the hell outta me! Amazing voice, wonder where he got it from??? :)
- 3. In Your Eyes by Peter Gabriel
His finest ballad EVER. This song is also on the soundtrack of the movie "Say Anything".
- 2. I Drove All Night by Cyndi Lauper
Probably her most underrated song. Some folks will do anything to be with the one they care for the most. I am a lyrics guy, you'll know why once you listen.
- 1. Goin' Down by Greg Guidry
A very rare piece from 1982. If you like adult contemporary music, this song is a MUST to find!
This is just ONE list. There are many many MANY lists of 80's songs I have yet to mention. Being a Generation X'er, I will always remember the songs from this era.
- 10. Time After Time by Cindy Lauper
- 9. Centerfold by J. Geils Band
- 8. Turning Japanese by The Vapors
- 7. One Night In Bangkok by Murray Head
- 6. Mexican Radio by Wall Of Voodoo
- 5. Video Killed The Radio Star by Buggles
- 4. Tainted Love by Soft Cell
- 3. 99 Red Balloons by Nena
also done in german- 99 luft balloons
- 2. Take On Me by A Ha
- 1. Come On Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners
this is the best song in the world no matter who sings it!!! gwen steffani and reel big fish did a pretty good job of covering this song. how can you not like a song about getting a girl naked?
there are a lot more than this that are worth mentioning like; the bangles-manic monday, bonnie tyler-total eclipse of the heart, eddie grant- electric avenue,styx- mr. roboto and r.e.m.- it's the end of the world as we know it. 80's music is the best music out there.
By: Shlie Poodles
Billy Joel was also one of the best artists of the 80s.
By: Brian Merges
- 10. Brand New Lover by Dead or Alive
A song which I sang to my girlfriend when I was annoyed with her: "I want surprises."
- 9. Goody Two Shoes by Adam Ant
Just a pisser of a song.
- 8. Forever Young by Alphaville
If one song represents the '80s, this song is it. If you were in your high school years, you know what I'm talking about.
- 7. La Isla Bonita by Madonna
It's an underrated song by a musical genius.
- 6. The Boy With the Thorn in His Side by The Smiths
The Smiths had to make the cut; this song's as good as any of theirs.
- 5. Raspberry Beret by Prince
A great pop song by one of the most versatile artists of our generation.
- 4. Burning Down the House by Talking Heads
It's got a hard-edged beat; I can remember playing it over and over in The Sea Witch with my good buddy Pam Stock.
- 3. Running Up That Hill by Kate Bush
Another quirky song that just sticks in the brain. A truly underrated artist.
- 2. One Step Up by Bruce Springsteen
A concise, heart-wrenching song by The Boss. It touches on the anguish of a crumbling marriage. Patty Scialfa's harmonies are subtle.
- 1. I Have the Touch by Peter Gabriel
As a huge Gabriel fan, I had to put him first. It's a quirky song that just gets under my skin in a very positive way.
Music has changed. Outside of U2, is there any band since the early eighties that's had impact and longevity? I mean, like the impact that Led Zeppelin or The Who had? Everything today seems so interchangeable.
- 10. And She Was by Talking Heads
- 9. True Faith by New Order
- 8. Come On Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners
Who hasn't listened this song?
- 7. The Dark Side Of The Moon by Pink Floyd
- 6. Take On Me by A-Ha
Yes, of course. A classic of 80's ranking lists.
- 5. I Don't Want To Lose Your Love Tonight by Outfield
- 4. Take A Chance With Me by Roxy music
We can not forget one of better bands
- 3. Say You, Say Me by Lionel Richie
- 2. If You Leave Me Now by Chicago
With a simple lyric but with a music so sad, that I can not resist to award a wonderful number two.
- 1. Wild Boys by Duran Duran
Perhaps the best song ever composited in 80's
By: Connor B.
- 10. Restless Heart by Michael W. Smith
Christian Contempooary Music was never more rocking than in the 80's.
- 9. Shadows of the Night by DeBarge
I hate american Idol, they can't sing 80's for crap. I heard there rendition.
- 8. Hands Up, Baby Hands Up by Ottawan
It's so hard to find this, the orginal version of the song released in 1981 I believe.
- 7. Blue Monday by New Order
- 6. 99 Luffballons by Nena
Nazi overtones??? I don't care, I love german pop/rock music
- 5. Run With Us by Lisa Lougheed
Every song she sung from the Raccoons TV Show was great. I'm going to contact the CBC & Nat' Library of Canada, to see about the music.
- 4. True by Spandau Ballet
The singer looks like shawn brady from days of our lives
- 3. Heres comes the rain again by Eurthimyics
Too bad the band broke up.
- 2. Rebel Without A Clue by Bonnie Tyler
Or any other song on her Secret Dreams & Forbidden Fire album, like "Band of GOld", or "Ravishing"
- 1. Melt With You by Modern English
I Can't believe no one had this song on there list, let alone it should be in the top 3, maybe you'all are still hang over from the drugs, man the 80's were good times. Where were you when you 1st heard this song?
Other notables - ANything by Pat Benatar, Starship, Asia, Men at work, or the Never Ending Story / (Neverending Story) Theme Song Support GeoCaching Song Piracy. (You put burned cd's (in mp3 format in a 1.78? quality format) then you bury them in canasters & post it on the Net with it's GPS corordinates. ;-) Vote NDP!
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.