In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
By: Jason Houston
- 10. Africa by Toto
I love that song "Africa" (back in 1983 or 82 I think) that song is a nice song that I wished they played on the radio today.
- 9. Girls, Girls, Girls by Motley Crue
this 80s song I listen to on and on ...
- 8. (Wood Beez) Pray Like Aretha Franklin by Scritti Politti
Back in 1985, there was a synthpop duo from England called Scritti Politti and when they made that song "Wood Beez/Pray Like Aretha Franklin" that was so weird.
- 7. Angel by Madonna
I bet that anybody in this website doesn't really have a good memory when Madonna had a dance song on the radio called "Angel" back in 1984. (Oh, your an angel ...)
- 6. Nasty by Janet Jackson
Janet Jackson was sexy even though she was fat in the Eighties (It's Janet, Ms. Jackson if your nasty!)
- 5. Only The Lonely by The Motels
Even though the 1982 song "Only The Lonely" has a good beat and it is relaxing, Martha Davis had that strong vocal that was funny
- 4. Too Shy by Kajagoogoo
The soundtrack to 1985 to me: (cos I'm too shy shy) that was the jam and radio doesn't play that song ...
- 3. Looking For A New Love by Jody Watley
This song by Jody Watley epitomized the 80s to me. (I'm looking for a new love baby ... a new love yeah yeah) and she had that aista-la- vista in it
- 2. I Wanna Dance With Somebody by Whitney Houston
Way before Whitney met Bobby Brown she had all that hair in what I think was her first popular video on MTV
- 1. Faith by George Michael
Although this 1987 tune by George Michael is catchy, and one of my favorites from the Eighties - the video was stupid
Also the other songs I like from the 80s is Falco's "Rock Me Amadeus", Lisa Lisa "Head To Toe", Robert Palmer "Addicted To Love" and of course a lot of INXS "Need You Tonight"
These are just a few of my favourites than i see just a bit above the rest of the brilliant songs from the 80's.
By: Jeffe Monkey Priceless
By: Adam Leo Isidore
- 10. Time After Time by Cyndi Lauper
This is such a couple song........and defines some guidelines for a perfect relationship....
- 9. Total Eclipse Of The Heart by Bonnie Tyler
Whoa! This song really rocks!
- 8. Africa by Toto
I love the country....and I haven't even been there yet! But I'm dying to go!
- 7. Nothing's Gonna Change My Love For You by George Benson (?)
I don't know if he sang this song, but it's so powerful.....very dedicated!
- 6. Eternal Flame by Bangles
This is such an intimate song....start off with a slow dance and end up in an embrace in bed!
- 5. Gloria by Laura Brannigan
Gets you dancing and inspires hope!
- 4. You Were Always On My Mind by Pet Shop Boys
Another romantic song, coming from The King!
- 3. The Search Is Over by Survivor
It's so meaningful. I sang it to my first girlfriend and she cried...
- 2. La Isla Bonita by Madonna
It's nostalgically sensuous, makes you want to dance, and immerses the heart in love!
- 1. Alone by Heart
It's almost impossible to find this song, but it's so melancholically good!
There are other songs I like, but these are just some of the better ones! Any comments? Send them to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 10. Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap by AC/DC
You Shook Me All Night Long, Highway to Hell...Yeah and I'm not a metal fan but I LOVE AC/DC
- 9. Rock You Like a Hurricane by The Scorpions
Excellent metal song of the 80s. I love it and I don't love much metal
- 8. Safety Dance by Men Without Hats
Just letting us all know that we CAN dance if we want to...but I'm not leaving my friends behind.
- 7. We Built This City On Rock And Roll by Jefferson Starship
Had to be mentioned...its a good song.
- 6. Simply Irresistable by Robert Palmer
It is SO 80s! The song just excels...plus the sound effects like the sword unsheathing or whatever that is.
- 5. 867-5309/Jenny by Tommy Tutone
You've got to know this song, so catchy that I still almost dial it!
- 4. Burning Down the House by The Talking Heads
Just a good song that you have to mention
- 3. Africa by Toto
Come on...you knew it was here...the song just rules.
- 2. Thriller by Michael Jackson
I'm sorry...I know some people can't stand Jacko but this song just sets my foot tappin' with the awesome bass line...and way to go Vincent Price!
- 1. Rock the Casbah by The Clash
I hear this and I know 80s...It may truthfully not EMBODY the 80s but if I don't hear it for a while I'm searchin' KaZaa.
That's my List and I'm Stickin' To It
- 10. Dont Know what You Got by Cinderella
- 9. Jump by Van Halen
- 8. Back in Black by AC/DC
wow the opening guitar of this song absolutley rocks..... the song is great and nobody rocks like these guys.
- 7. Wanted Dead or Alive by Bon Jovi
- 6. Every Rose Has Its Thorn by Poison
Great song! Amzing band .... what song have they put out that hasnt been great.
- 5. Here I Go Again by Whitesnake
What a great song to just turn up the radio and go on a road trip!
- 4. Patience by Guns N' Roses
Axel! Rock on. Way to put this one out. Its a masterpiece.
- 3. Welcome to the Jungle by Guns N' Roses
This song is so great. Axel represents all of us here indiana.
- 2. Livin on a Prayer by Bon Jovi
Who dosent love this song when they here it. It makes you just wanna shout!
- 1. I Remember You by Skid Row
I know this song by heart and it never gets old. Sabastjin just lets it all out in this song. Its not only my favorite song of the 80s it my favorite song EVER!
Honerable Mention......... seventeen by Winger, something to believe in by Poison, Lay Your Hands on me by bon jovi, The whole bon jovi collection, is this love by whitesnake, Home Sweet Home by Motley Crue, Heading for a Heartbreak by winger, Thunderstruck by ac/dc, You shook me all night by ac/dc, Hells bells by ac/dc, Rock you like a Hurricane by Scorpions,nothing but a good time by poison, Paradise City buy Guns n roses, Sweet Child o mine by guns n roses, Panama by Van Halen, Rebel Yell by Billy Idol, All of the U2 collection, Pour some sugar on me and photograph and love bites by def leppard, All van halen collection, When i see you smile by Bad English, and finally When the children cry by whitelion
By: Ronald 'Ronic' Mears
- 10. Drive by The Cars
Funny how taking Ric Ocasek away from the vocalist duties can make a Cars song better, huh?
- 9. Beat It by Michael Jackson
He might not be right in the head (accoring to what some say), but there's no denying or disrespecting this guys musical genius. Listening to this classic will tell you why.
- 8. Cum On Feel The Noize by Quiet Riot
A really fun song to bang your head to!
- 7. Run With Us by Lisa Lougheed
If anyone's watched the Canadian animated show 'The Raccoons', you'll remember this one. Kinda sad that her career didn't get any bigger than it did.
- 6. Heaven Is A Place On Earth by Belinda Carlisle
Geez, Belinda's got a magnificent voice, doesn't she?
- 5. Funky Town II Extended Play by Pseudo Echo
Got some good dancibility to it!
- 4. Don't You (Forget About Me) by Simple Minds
What can I say, helluva song from the single best movie from the 80s!
- 3. St. Elmo's Fire (Man In Motion) by John Parr
A song of true inspirational quality. Helps me to get out of the doldrums when I'm feeling a little down.
- 2. Jump by Van Halen
3 words on what made this song so good... David Lee Roth! 'Nuff said!
- 1. The Final Countdown! by EUROPE
If you have seen the video version of this song, you know what I'm talking about. From the helicopter racing through the forests and fjords of outside Stockholm, to shots of the city's skyline, to the ultra-powerful performance that Joey Tempest, John Norum, John Leven, Mic Michaeli and Ian Haugland put forth to the 3,000 or so peeps inside of the Solnahallen Hockey Arena. John N.'s flaming chops in the middle of the song helps to give the song a little badditude, while Mic's nimble fingers work some towering magic on his keyboards. And, of course, Joey Tempest's raw intensity clearly demonstrates that you don't have to be a member of an American band to kick some a-- on the mic! All told, my Number 1 favorite song of all-time! ALWAYS BE READY TO FEEL THE POWER OF THE COUNTDOWN!
Well, that's my top 10 of the 80s. See ya later, peeps! Ronald 'Ronic' Mears out!
- 10. Never Never by The Assembly
- 9. What Do I Know by Saga
- 8. I Was Made For Loving You by Kiss
- 7. Purple Rain by Prince
- 6. The Closest Thing To Heaven by The Kane Gang
- 5. Africa ( Woodoo Master ) by Rose Laurens
- 4. Jeanny (Part 1 ) by Falco
- 3. Legs by ZZ Top
- 2. Shadow On The Wall by Mike Oldfield
- 1. Mama by Genesis
- 10. Blue Monday by New Order
a pretty poppy song from a typical "no future generation" new wave band.
- 9. The Unforgetable Fire by U2
a classic one produced by Brian Eno.
- 8. Once in a lifetime by Talking Heads
no 80's top ten without the Talking Heads. "Stop Making Sense" was the ultimite concert movie of the 80's (together with Prince's Sign Of The Times movie)
- 7. Din Daa Daa by George Kranz
a one hit wonder, and it wasn't even a real hit, just like "Laid Back" this track fills the floor within the first few minutes. For those outside Europe, try to get a copy of this song it's very amusing.
- 6. Clouds across the Moon by The Rah Band
cheesy all over, but a very good concept for that time.
- 5. Pump up the Volume by Marrs
as far as I can remember, one of the first instrumental dance-songs with heavy sampling and scratching.
- 4. The Reflex by Duran Duran
never figured out what this song was all about but "seven and the ragged tiger" was a pretty good album.the video showed these guys as the absolute live sensation of the moment, but actually they sucked big time on stage !!
- 3. White Horse by Laid Back
maybe unknown for those outside Europe, but this is a dancefloor classic. reminds me of Erotic City bu Prince.
- 2. Push It by Salt 'n Peppa
This smells like SEX all over.
- 1. 1999 by Prince
the unusual sound of the lynn drum machine, the video with Jill Jones and Lisa behind the keyboard, and of course Prince himself in his long purple trench coat and high heels singing about partying on judgement day makes this one my absolute number one of the 80's
- 10. Hazy Shade Of Winter by Bangles
Great cover....great movie! If we were doing a top ten 80's movies, "Less Than Zero" would have definitely made it!
- 9. Love Will Tear Us Apart by Joy Division
Wasn't sure whether to put this song in, or "True Faith" by New Order. Both are classics from pioneers of synth-pop.
- 8. Send Me an Angel by Real Life
Not much to say about this one except the synthesizer riffs were incredibly catchy.
- 7. Brass In Pocket by Pretenders
I always liked this song but grew to love it after Pearl Jam covered it at one fo their shows. The video's a classic, too.
- 6. One Thing Leads To Another by FIxx
The intro alone puts this in the top ten. Play this song in front of a group of people and see all the eyes that light up when it starts.
- 5. A Little Respect by Erasure
Great song to sing to! They actually used this song on the TV show "Scrubs" and I loved it!
- 4. Under the Milky Way by Church
One of the most underrated groups of the 80's. Perhaps a little before their time. What a classic song!
- 3. In Your Eyes by Peter Gabriel
Probably my favorite ballad of all time. Visions of Jon Cusack holding up the boombox comes to mind.
- 2. Just Like Heaven by Cure
So close to being number one....just a great, timeless song. I can play that song today and like it as much as I did back then.
- 1. Space Age Love Song by Flock Of Seagulls
The epitome of what an 80's song should song like! From the cheesy lyrics to the lasers, this catchy song embraces what most of us envision as "the 80's sound".
Honorable mention: Ship Of Fools - World Party, Head Over Heels - Tears For Fears, Big Log - Robert Plant, David Bowie - Modern Love, Mary's Prayer - Danny Wilson, Dancing With Myself - Billy Idol
- 10. Sweet Child Of Mine by Guns N' Roses
i just like the guitar in the beginning.
- 9. Eye Of The Tiger by Survivor
its what makes rocky famous
- 8. Journey by Separate Ways
- 7. Under Pressure by David Bowie/freddy Mercury
these 2 are great alone and even better together
- 6. Moving Out by Billy Joel
any song billy joel does is incredible, this is just my favorite
- 5. Layla by Eric Clapton
its so mellow
- 4. Living On A Prayer by Bon Jovi
probably their best hit(in my opinion)
- 3. Shook Me All Night Long by Acdc
the guys voice sucks so much you cant help but love it
- 2. Summer Or 69 by Bryan Adams
fast and high energy...love it
- 1. Born In The Usa by Bruce Springsteen
the patriotic theme of the 80's
- 10. Come On Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners
- 9. Take On Me by A-ha
- 8. Hungry Like the Wolf/Girls On Film by Duran Duran
- 7. My Male Curiosity by Kid Creole & the Coconuts
- 6. Every Breath You Take by The Police
- 5. Working For the Weekend/Turn Me Loose by Loverboy
- 4. Whip It! by Devo
- 3. Do They Know It's Christmas? by Band-Aid
- 2. Relax by Frankie Goes to Hollywood
- 1. Tainted Love by Soft Cell
By: Luigi Precciatto
- 10. Round and Round by Ratt
Best 80's metal
- 9. Forever Young by Alphaville
16 years later... now i really understand the lirycs...
- 8. Talking in Your Sleep by The Romantics
:) haha... i just remember those haircuts
- 7. Hungry Like the Wolf by Duran Duran
The best from this excellent band...
- 6. Open Arms by Journey
- 5. Situation / Don't Go by Yazoo
- 4. A Rush and a Push and the Land by The Smiths
Don't know why, just love it!
- 3. Bizarre Love Triangle by New Order
- 2. The Promise by When in Rome
- 1. Down Under by Men at Work
Just great, totally 80's...
Honorable mentions to: Depeche Mode, Erasure, Madonna, Michael Jackson, Rolling Stones, Pet Shop Boys... and the list has not end. How to narrow 10 years on 10 songs??? impossible.
By: George M. Fredricks
- 10. Sweet Child Of Mine by Guns and Roses
The best heavy metal song of the decade. Even if I consider myself more of a Punk and New Wave type of guy.
- 9. Police On My Back by The Clash
MY favorite song from my favorite group. For me the only group that really mattered. Although, they didn't write this one.
- 8. If I If I If I by Squeeze
If I didn't love you I'd hate you. A personal fave but I recognize it might not capture the 80's for most of you.
- 7. Major Tom by Peter Schilling
Absolutely the best song with a countdown in it. I listen to this song and think of young women in leg warmers and hot asses.
- 6. Sixty-eight Guns by The Alarm
Drinking beer listening to punk music and thinking I was the baddest ass around. Yeah right! But I honestly thought that way. I was young!
- 5. Promises, Promises by Naked Eyes
Dancing with a hot girl in an translucent purple dress at the BBC( SUNY@ Buffalo bar) wondering if life ever gets better than this? It doesn't.
- 4. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper
Hometown girl (Woodhaven,Queens). Tried to sneak onto her tour bus once, almost made it. Just a little too drunk.
- 3. Saved By Zero by The Fixx
chillingly great song, much like the rest of their music.
- 2. Things Can Only Get Better by Howard Jones
80's hair. 80's sound. 80's memories.
- 1. Talking In Your Sleep by The Romantics
I can remember sitting at the dinner table at the university of Buffalo with everyone from my hall, taking turns singing this song. Great time. Great place. Great song.
In 1980 I was a high school senior who never listened to the radio. In 1981, my college roomate U.E. introduced me to The Clash. 1981-1985 I met many great college friends and soaked the music up. (I only keep in touch with one, God bless You Mike.)Such memories. I love them all. 1986 met the woman who I would marry in 1999. 1988 started my career (Air Traffic Controller). What a decade! The list? I can't believe I finished and I didn't get to Safety Dance, Everbody want's to rule the world, Don't you forget about me and many others. So don't tell me the 80's weren't a great decade of music.
- 10. Africa by Toto
A great beat..A great song and a very confusing video clip
- 9. Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler
What can I say listen to the song . The full version ... enough said
- 8. Hysteria by Def Leppard
This song is so haunting and moody. the album is great too but I like this song as it is so easy listening in a good way of course
- 7. Beautiful People by Australian Crawl
James Reynes vocals are amazing. You can't understand a thing he says but still they are amazing
- 6. Run To Paradise by Choirboys
I had to throw in this Australian Band they are a great pub rock band and this is one of their best
- 5. Walking on the Chinese Wall by Phillip Bailey
The song is just a masterpiece. I don't understand the lyrics but wow what a song
- 4. The Flame by Cheap Trick
Cheap Trick Rock and this song was so inspiring
- 3. Stand & Deliver by Adam Ant
What a great band and singer. Great album tracks especially Killer in the home
- 2. Listen To Your Heart by Roxette
This Swedish group couldn't go wrong catchy tunes and some great guitar riffs. This song was completely dreamy but the others such a the look and dressed for success rocked
- 1. Living On A Prayer by Bon Jovi
I love Bon Jovi. the songs may not be deep but hey they rock and the songs still wear well today. Who said music couldn't be fun.
There are so many great bands I haven't included ie The Police, Dire Straits, Joan Jett, AcDc, Icehouse, INXS, Crowded House.... and the list goes on
By: Cristy Downey
- 10. Rain by Dragon
RIP Marc Hunter.
- 9. Work by Uncanny X Men
The dole bludgers anthem! :)
- 8. Come Said The Boy by Mondo Rock
The classic finishing high school song.
- 7. Listening by Pseudo Echo
Oh, the hair and the makeup. They still do a good job now in 2003!
- 6. Land Down Under by Men At Work
I don't think there is anyone in the world who doesn't know this one!
- 5. Bedroom Eyes by Kate Ceberano
- 4. Out Of Mind Out Of Sight by Models
With the backup of I'm Talking (Kate Ceberano), this was one Aussie hit you can't help but dance to!
- 3. Working Class Man by Jimmy Barnes
An Oz singalong favourite
- 2. Original Sin by INXS
This would have to be the song that made them huge!
- 1. Khe Sanh by Cold Chisel
An Australian pub favourite that, anyone who grew up in the 80's in Oz, will know ALL the words to.
This is my Australian 80's band top 10. It would have been much easier to pick a Top 50! :) Would have been great then if our Aussie guys got the world wide exposure that our Aussie superstars of today get.
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.