In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
By: blob girl
- 10. Total Eclipse Of The Heart by
- 9. Time After Time by Cyndi Lauper
very nice peacefull song
- 8. Say Say Say by Michael Jackson And Paul Mcartney
this song is reall y cool man i love it
- 7. Man In The Mirror by Michael Jackson
lovely song lovely song lovely song
- 6. The Way You Make Me Feel by Michael Jackson
michael jackson......do i need to say anymore
- 5. Billie Jean by Michael Jackson
you can really groove to this tune
- 4. Bad by Michael Jackson
hey theres a pattern going on here.... anyway there is somehting about the lyrics"your butt is mine"
- 3. Beat It by Michael Jackson
i love this song great video and van halen makes it even better
- 2. Thriller by Michael Jackson
this is a classic and so is the video for it man i love m.j
- 1. Smooth Criminal by Michael Jackson
i love this song and the video clip really cool and everything dude
I LOVE MICHAEL JACKSON!!! EVEN THOUGH I WAS BORN 1989 I RECKON IAM AN EIGHTIES CHILD ALL MY MATES RECKON I AM!!!
- 10. Close to me by The Cure
I have always wondered why they were considered to be "alternative" or "dark" when they could write such songs as this...a great band.
- 9. Owner of a Lonely Heart by Yes
I just really like this song.
- 8. Take on me by A-ha
One of THE 80s songs - started my mini-obsession with the group. They were really more than just this one song.
- 7. People are People by Depeche Mode
My first introduction to one of the greatest bands ever. The list of their good songs would be endless...
- 6. Time after Time by Cyndi Lauper
I am a huge Madonna fan but Cyndi is simply the better song and this song is beautiful. Could have been replaced with True Colours
- 5. Everybody wants to Rule the World/Pale Shelter by Tears for Fears
Both "The Hurting" and "Songs from the Big Chair" are great albums
- 4. Wouldn't it be good by Nik Kershaw
I had a friend who was obsessed with cutie Nik - great song and that video!
- 3. Hold me Now by Thompson Twins
My favourite song from one of my fave 80s bands - the lyrics are not only poignant but sing a long able - definitely a mark of a good song
- 2. Obsession by Animotion
Just a great song...listen to it and you are easily transported back. Could easily be replaced with Tainted Love by Soft Cell
- 1. Broken Wings by Mr.Mister
That opening sequence chills my spine every time I listen to it...haunting
Didn't include my favourite band -Duran Duran because picking only one of their songs would be like picking a favourite child. Can't be done! Great website - it is cool to see what turned others' cranks from the decade of excess.
- 10. Angel by Madonna
very fluffy pop,just try to be angry or depressed when this song is playing (june 1985)
- 9. Breaking Us In Two by Joe Jackson
I Could listen to this song twice a week for 20 more years (april 1983)
- 8. Tears Run Rings by Marc Almond
really like the version with the horns at the end (spring 1989)
- 7. Call To The Heart by Giuffria
sounds a lot like steve perry's call to the heart but this one wasn't played to death(february 1985)
- 6. Valotte by Julian Lennon
not an easy song to remember valotte is never spoken in the song the best chorus line is"were really not as clever as you seem to think we are" (january 1985)
- 5. Cars by Gary Numan
first song that I wanted to hear over and over when I was 7 (april 1980)
- 4. Flashdance / What A Feeling by Irene Cara
song had the longest run at #1 (14 weeks)on my chart but it didn't have to compete against the 1986 megahits above. (summer 1983)
- 3. Two of Hearts by Stacey Q
guilty pleasure song,also my all time favorite video! (october 1986)_
- 2. How To Be A Millionaire by ABC
best closing line ever "I've seen the future I can't afford it" (march 1986)
- 1. Night Moves by Marilyn Martin
pop rock's finest hour (march 1986)
I did my own weekly top 50 chart for the 80's so it was hard to condense 3,000 down to 10 so many great songs left off.
By: Navid Tehrani Far
- 10. Conquest of Paradise by Vangelis
I don't know if it is 80s or not, but I think it is.
- 9. Wham! by Careless Whispers
Guilty Feet Have Got No Rythm.
- 8. What is Love by Haddaway
Nothing to say. It is good.
- 7. Killers by Iron Maiden
Nothing to say. It is good.
- 6. Smooth Criminal by Michael Jackson
Nothing to say. It is good.
- 5. A Spaceman Came Travelling by Chris De Burgh
Nothing to say. It is good.
- 4. The Memory Remains by Metallica
Nothing to say. It is good.
- 3. Ride The Lightning by Metallica
Nothing to say. It is good.
- 2. Push It To The Limit by Paul Engemann
Thats one of the soundtracks of Scarface. It is really good.
- 1. The Number of The Beast by Iron Maiden
That really rocks.
Download them and Enjoy !
By: Matty Knowles
- 10. Whitesnake by Is This Love
A romantic but serious song! Typical 80's drumbeat but good rock theme, his girlfriend was fit as well!
- 9. Cool For Cats by Squeeze
Another Legend from Holland and Co.
- 8. Tears For Fears by Sowing The Seeds Of Love
"Feel the beat...talk about it...if your a wonderin man...shout about it!" The only one I liked from TFF. Change was good, but no cut on this legend!
- 7. Rat In Mi Kitchen by UB40
The best group to emerge from the UK since the Beatles, I could listen to UB all day, but this is my personal favourite!
- 6. Living In A Box by Living In A Box
Hahahaha, I love it! Gotta have the most memorable main line in it! "Im a livin in a box, I'm a livin in a cardboard box".
- 5. Nik Kershaw by The Riddle
Loads of remakes of this song including Gigi Agostino's massive club hit! The original is still the best tho!
- 4. Paula Abdul by Opposites Attract
A massive hit thats guaranteed to get the Mums and Dads on that dancefloor, loved by many!
- 3. King of Rock And Roll by Prefab Sprout
Fantastic, that's all I can say!
- 2. Dolce Vita by Ryan Paris
Exellent song for the old skoolies! Played many a time at school discos. Many people probably got their first dance to this. Top stuff
- 1. Hourglass by Squeeze
Possibly one of the greatest groups I have ever heard! This song is the king of catchyness!hahaha
I'm 20, it's not right! I shudda been born earlier!! I missed the years of my favourite music!!
- 10. Secret by OMD
Why haven't I seen this one any top ten 80's song list???
- 9. Money For Nothing by Dire Straits
A first in computer animation on ze MTV
- 8. Fast Car by Tracy Chapman
Simple yet very thoughtful lyrics
- 7. Missing You by John Waite
Forceful, very 80s
- 6. Somebody by Depeche Mode
The most sincere love song ever written
- 5. Something About You by Level 42
Mark King is the greatest!
- 4. Drive by Cars
Never knew the name of this song until I discovered this website, felt like discovering a long-lost friend
- 3. Love Is Love by Culture Club
Forever in Electric Dreams...
- 2. Head Over Heels by Tears For Fears
The opening few bars never fails to send shivers down my spine
- 1. True by Spandau Ballet
The coolest 80s song ever written, no question about it!
By: Chelsea Nikkel
- 10. I Ran by Flock Of Seagulls
Because everyones puts it down
- 9. Positively Lost Me by The Rave-ups
This song was played in the movie pretty in pink when duckie was being an asshole to molly ringwald...
- 8. Footloose by Kenny Loggins
GO FOR GOLD KEV!!
- 7. Waterfall by The Stone Roses
- 6. A Forest by The Cure
Legends. 'they want to see robert palmer i think'....
- 5. Wouldn't It Be Good by The Danny Hutton Hilters
I danced to this song once while wearing lime green stocking and a cure tshirt. Best day of my life.
- 4. Head Over Heels by Tears For Fears
you'd think I just watched donnie darko or something...
- 3. The Killing Moon by Echo And The Bunnymen
- 2. I've Been Tired by The Pixies
Excellent song. Best pixies song ever. Says the word penis in it.
- 1. Whores by Jane's Addiction
No strays is not the first album...
Could not choose a single Joy division song..... Also... Jane's addiction are hte best band in the whole world.
- 10. True Colors by Cyndi Lauper
A hit then, a hit now!
- 9. Adore by Prince
"If you look at her and lipsync this song to her and don't get laid..."
- 8. View to a Kill by Duran Duran
Many Duran songs could have been here, but the "View" is the hottest.
- 7. Nothing Compares to You by The Family
Everyone slept on this hit until Sinead O'Connor sang it- The Family did it first and better!
- 6. Cruel Summer by Bananarama
The quietest jam of the decade!
- 5. The Show by Doug E. Fresh
Six minutes Doug E. Fresh you're on!
- 4. Perfect Way by Scritti Pollitti
Great techno beats keep you rocking
- 3. Everytime You Go Away by Paul Young
Tell me this song didn't touch you!
- 2. Let's Go Crazy by Prince
# Party song of the early 80's
- 1. Holding Back the Years by Simply Red
Put it on, turn it up loud, and she falls in love with you all over again.
Honorable Mention- What Have you done for me lately?; Don't dream it's over; Sledgehammer; What you need; Don't believe the Hype
With a great collection, it's hard to say which should go where.
- 10. Rock Of Ages by Def Leppard
Pyromania best rock album of th e1980's Great Video
- 9. Goodbye To Romance by Ozzy
From Blizzard Of Ozz great slow dance song
- 8. I Need Love by LL Cool J
Best Rap song of the 80's
- 7. One More Try by Stevie B
Great Song For Dances
- 6. Nothing Compares To You by Sinead O'Conner
Great CD One Of The best Slow Songs ever
- 5. How Soon Is Now by Smiths
Beginings of Alternative Rock
- 4. Joshua Tree CD by All Songs
Best CD of the 1980'2
- 3. One Draw by Rita Marley
Best Song for the wacky toobacy.....
- 2. Rose The by Bette midler
One of the best slow songs of all time....may not be from th e80's that's when I heard for the first time...
- 1. Bad by U2
Best Live Song Ever from Live Aid U2 Entire Set
- 10. Nasty by Janet Jackson
Love to dance to this one
- 9. I Ran (So Far Away) by A Flock of Seagulls
great to space out too.
- 8. Love My Way by The Psychedelic Furs
I love this song and can picture the video when i hear it
- 7. Any Madonna song by Madonna
They make you feel great and sexy
- 6. Two Tribes by Frankie Goes to Hollywood
This is a great and true song!
- 5. Pale Shelter by Tears For Fears
LOVE LOVE LOVE
- 4. Broken Wings by Mr. Mister
Love to sing along to this one
- 3. Sunglasses At Night by Corey Hart
looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove this song! It makes you feel so cool.
- 2. Straight Up Or Cold Hearted by Paula Abdul
Any Paula song really...she's one of the best.
- 1. Sister Christian by Night Ranger
I couldnt think of which Barbra Streisand song to put...they're all the best. Im only 15...i shouldve been born when my mom was..............so not fair! MEMBERS ONLY!(I'd give anything to own one)
By: Jovi Girls
- 10. Wanted Dead or Alive by Bon Jovi
Love This Song It's So Real Band Backstage Type Song And The Beat Is So Totally Awesome Just Love This Song So Much Totally Awesome Video Too Match!!
- 9. You Give Love A Bad Name by Bon Jovi
Flat Out Awesome Song I Mean Take The Lyrics So Cool " Shot Through The Heart And YOur To Blame Darling, You Give Love A Bad Name" Love It!!
- 8. Livin' On A Prayer by Bon Jovi
Such A Beautiful Song And About Real Working People Just So Touching And Jon's Vocal Ability In That Song Is So Amazing!!
- 7. Born To Be My Baby by Bon Jovi
Love This Song So Much I Don't Know The Exact Reason For Liking This Song Just So Sweet!!!
- 6. Runaway by Bon Jovi
Totally Awesome Song!! Wonderful Beat Cool Lyrics And It's Bon Jovi's First Hit Song!!
- 5. Tokyo Road by Bon Jovi
Cool Song Not A Big Hit I Know But Real Cool Anyway!! Especially The Beginning With Soft Japanesse Singing Real Cool!!
- 4. I'd Die For You by Bon Jovi
Don't Know Why I Like it So Much Just A Beautiful Song So Sweet!!
- 3. I Won't Forget You by Poison
So Cool So Sweet Just Beautiful I Love it So Much!!!
- 2. I Remember You by Skid Row
Such A Beautiful Song So Romantic So Lovely Totally Awesome!! And Sebatsian Bach's Vocal Range Is Awesome!!
- 1. I'll Be There For You by Bon Jovi
Such A Nice Song So Beautiful And Jon's Voice Is So Soft And Hipnotic So Beautiful!!!
These Are All Such Great Songs Love Them So Much!!!
By: Matthew Prevost
- 10. Beat It by Micheal Jackson
He was good and I played that album to death
- 9. Dancing With Myself by Bily Idol
I think he wrote that song about me
- 8. 99 Red Balloons by Nina
Just one of those songs that just felt good
- 7. Lets Go Crazy by Prince
I love the guitar solo at the end and I love the beat of the verse in the song, very dancy
- 6. Jump by Van Halen
Second Album I bought with my own money and one of my first fav bands
- 5. Wrapped Around Your Finger by The Police
There were a couple of albums that me and my friends played over and over that police album this was one of them
- 4. Relax by Frankie Goes To Holly Wood
man those 80's songs were catchy and I like bands were the members didnt play there own insturments
- 3. The Reflex by Duran Duran
Seventh and the Ragged Tiger the First Album I ever bought with my own money I was very proud
- 2. Rock this town by Stray Cats
I guess I am more rock n roll just a great fun upbeat song
- 1. I Love Rock N Roll by Joan Jett & The Blackhearts
Joan Jett is Hot and there were certain songs that I played over and over again when I was 10 and 11
this list is based on three things 1)rockness 2)Coolness and memories there are too many good songs to make a top ten list and too many songs that were better then top 40 songs but this songs pretty much said it all for me I love 80's music!!!! Mattyp born in 73 is me
- 10. The Crown by Gary Bird and the GB Experience
Only voted because I ain't heard it in ages.
- 9. Hot Water by Level 92
Relentless bass, go mark go!
- 8. Girls On Film by Duran Duran
Anyone of theirs is ok
- 7. A Night In New York by Elbo Bones and the Racketeers
Bet not many folks remember this one
- 6. I Wanna Be Free by Toyah
Saw her perform this last year, just as good today.
- 5. Stand And Deliver by Adam and the Ants
- 4. An Innocent Man by Billy Joel
The album's great too
- 3. Leaving Me Now by Level 42
Excellent break up song
- 2. Welcome To The Monkeyhouse by Animal Magnet
Another must for parties
- 1. Kiss Me by Steven Tin Tin Duffy
Every party had to have this song!
But love all Eighties music.
By: debbie dipiazza
- 10. China Girl by David Bowie
David's breakthrough in Sino-British relations.
- 9. Mickey by Toni Basil
Real cheerleaders! Anyone remember Toni on Saturday Night Live as lead singer of the Lockers, wearing bad Carmen Miranda drag?
- 8. Rocket Man by Kate Bush
The voice, the voice, the voice.
- 7. I Know What Boys Like by Waitresses
'Bout time the girls turned the tables. The eighties only feminist pop hit?
- 6. Words by Missing Persons
Love the bra and the chirps, Dale! And that lighting--weird!
- 5. I'm in Love with a Working Girl by Members
The song was a lot cuter than these guys! Great on-the-dole pop music! Great video.
- 4. Der Commisar by Falco
Falco running. 'Nuff said.
- 3. Love is a Battlefield by Pat Benatar
Chessy hooker outfits, looked like they dressed outa my mooma's ragbag. Is that what the johns like, Pat? But so much fun!
- 2. Ashes to Ashes by David Bowie
Wodda video! Didn't anyone else see it besides me?
- 1. Melt with You by Modern English
To my mind, the first really beautiful song of the eighties. Romance!
There was a group, the lead singer was a girl, dark-haired, overweight, nice throaty voice. Anyway, the video was one of those spy-fantadsy ones, one scene, she's sitting on a bed in bra and slip, then points a gun at the camera. Any ideas?
- 10. Pull Up To The Bumper by Grace Jones
Grace is so powerful! This track is really a mastertrack.
- 9. Giving You The Best That I Got by Anita Baker
She is really a soul lady, and her performance here is perfect. 10/10
- 8. What Have You Done For Me Lately by Janet Jackson
This one, or everything included in the Control album. I really cannot stop dancing when I hear it.
- 7. Leave A Light On by Belinda Carlisle
I love this song. It's really magical.
- 6. Private Dancer by Tina Turner
The best sog in Tina's career, really delightful!
- 5. Change Of Heart by Cyndi Lauper
Cyndi is a very strong performer, and Change of heart is full of passion and power.
- 4. Like A Prayer by Madonna
really a great song, with great choir!!
- 3. Upside Down by Diana Ross
The best way to start the decade, with one of the best works I have heard!! You are supreme Diana!
- 2. Billie Jean by Michael Jackson
80's without Jacko? NO WAY!!
- 1. Greatest Love Of All by Whitney Houston
She really shocked the whole world with her powerful voice in the 80's. "greatest love of all" is one of the most popular and best performed love song.
CLOSE were One Night in Bangkok, Sledgehammer, When Doves Cry, Karma Chameleon and Walk of Life. Though I can't really consider Dire Straits an "80's" band. There were certain songs that were DEFINITELY 80's, meaning transcending genre. I also can't consider Metallica, Eric B & Rakim and Def Leppard, because I would definte them to a genre (thrash, rap, and glam) before I call them "80's".
By: Mike Stevens
- 10. Hurts so Good by John Cougar
- 9. Jenny(8675309) by Tommy Two-Tone
- 8. Day by Day by The Hooters
- 7. Sunglasses at Night by Corey Hart
- 6. Hungry Like a Wolf by Duran Duran
- 5. Come on Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners
- 4. Bryan Adams by Summer of 69
- 3. Jessie's Girl by Rick Springfield
- 2. I Love Rock & Roll by Joan Jett & the Blackharts
- 1. Angel in the Centerfold by J Geils Band
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.