In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
- 10. 99 Luft Balloons by Nena
Great song. It's funny how it's about the accidental beginning of WW3 but with such a catchy beat.
- 9. Take On Me by Aha
I love the video.
- 8. House Of Fun by Madness
Great song with a weird video to go along with it.
- 7. Spellbound by Siouxsie and The Banshees
I love Siouxsie. She's so hot.
- 6. Cry Little Sister by Sisters Of Mercy
Great song. It's on the Lost Boys Soundtrack.
- 5. Last Caress by The Misfits
Creepy, morbid, and all around gross but great song.
- 4. Voices Carry by Til Tuesday
Aimee Mann has such a cool voice and I like to make fun of her rat tail. This song is great.
- 3. Blue Monday by New Order
Great song. But Joy Division is much better than New Order.
- 2. How Soon Is Now by The Smiths
Amazing song and Moz is hot.
- 1. Anything, Anything(I'll give you) by Dramarama
My alltime favorite song. Dramarama are the best but everyone around here is just like, "who's that? do you mean bananarama?" Well, I guess that they are just stupid or missed out on a great song.
There were so many great songs to choose from and maybe I'll make a new list after re-thinking my choices but this is what I came up with at the moment. Tell me what you think of my list or just e-mail me to talk or whatever.
- 10. The Sun Rising by The Beloved
As I wrote before, this is the previous song of the artist who made "Sweet Harmony" (in my opinion - the best classic song of 90's). "The Sun Rising", released in 1988 is a great and a bit mysterious stuff in ambient style.
- 9. Sign Your Name by D'Arby Terence Trent
Released in 1987. Typical one for 80's.
- 8. Ride On Time by Black Box
Released in 1989. Also classic - this is the one that, together with Technotronic band, started a fasion of dance & techno music period.
- 7. For America by Red Box
Excellent one - familiar with "Little Lies". Released in 1986.
- 6. Little Lies by Fleetwood Mac
Very good song. Typical for 80's. Released in 1987.
- 5. Never Never Comes by Classix Nouveaux
Released in 1983. Is another name of this band "Sal Solo"?
- 4. Bridge To Your Heart by Wax
Contains all needed to voice emotions - released in 1988.
- 3. Don't Answer Me by Alan Parson's Project
So sweet and romantic (had released in 1984), another song based a little bit on it was later released "Sweet Harmony" (1993) by The Beloved.
- 2. Masterpiece by Gazebo
I wish it was played in radio anymore, in 80's one of the best - released in 1982.
- 1. In The Army Now by Status Quo
Released in 1986 - classic for ever!
It was very hard to complete Top10 tracks - many songs of 80's were really great, like "Tainted Love" (Soft Cell), "Kokomo" (Beach Boys), "Sowing The Seeds Of Love" (Tears For Fears) or any hit of A-Ha. Anyway, this Top10 list is real now. I bet I would create a little bit changed another day - all just depends on a mood and feelings on each day during listening to the best music of ages - 80's.
- 10. Sherriff by When I'm With You
- 9. Land of Confusion by Genesis
- 8. How Will I Know by Whitney Huston
- 7. Power of Love by Huey Lewis & the News
- 6. You Shook Me All Night Long by Ac/Dc
- 5. Rio by Duran Duran
- 4. You Got the Look by Prince
- 3. Bringin' on the Heartbreak by Def Leppard
- 2. Dude (Looks Like a Lady) by Aerosmith
- 1. Material Girl by Madonna
- 10. Axl F by Harold Faltemeyer
Still one of the great instrumentals
- 9. Cruel Summer by Bananarama
The played this one during every Winters, Springs and Fall of my teenage years.
- 8. Modern Love by David Bowie
Bowie in white gloves playing a red electric guitar in the desert. What a visual!
- 7. I Will Follow by U2
Still one of their many bests.
- 6. Dance Hall Days by Wang Chung
Too bad theis band sold out too soon.
- 5. What A Feeling by Irene Cara
Flashdance and The Breakfast Club are probably THE 80's MOVIES!
- 4. I Ran by Flock of Seagulls
The only real hair rivals to The Thompson Twins had.
- 3. Major Tom by Peter Schilling
His only hit.
- 2. Stay With Me by Thompson Twins
The song that put them on the map.
- 1. Don't You Forget About Me by Simple Minds
Every 80's teenagers anthem.
By: Andy B. Goode
- 10. We're Not Gonna Take It by Twisted Sister
I'll take it for sure.. :)
- 9. Final Countdown by Europe
Okey this guy isn't serious you might say, but it's a killer song of dimensions... everybody know it, has it, and likes it...
- 8. Safety Dance by Men Without Hats
Aussie synth does it. Likeable song with hight 80-factor.
- 7. Go West by Pet Shop Boys
Was maybe 91-92 but what the heck. It's a song from "back then" and it will do for me. Great song.
- 6. How do you do by Roxette
The swedes hit the bulls-eye with this nifty pop-tune.
- 5. Breakfast @ Tiffanys by Deep Blue Something
Good shit it is.
- 4. Just Died In Your Arms Tonight by Cutting Crew
Definitively one of the better ones.
- 3. The One And Only by Chesney Hawkes
For me this is the definition of the 80's. Beautiful and passionate by Hawkes ;)
- 2. Maria by Blondie
Ahhhh excellent and uplifting by Blondie.
- 1. Beds Are Burning by Midnight Oil
Don't know how manye nachspiels me and my friends have been singing along to this outstanding track from the legendary Midnight Oil. Simply the best after my opinion.
Maybe some mix-up in between when it comes to whether a few of these tracks really are pure 80's or maybe veeeeery early 90's. But this is songs I feel belong to somewhat the "same cathegory" and they are my favorites. Regards - Andy.
The 80's were all about feeling good and big hair!
- 10. Everyday I Write The Book by Elvis Costello
The King of bizarre lyrics at this best..."When your dreamboat turns out to be a footnote" Heh!
- 9. Thriller by Michael Jackson
Not so much the song, but what an awesome video...and NOBODY can dance like Wacko Jacko.
- 8. Blue Monday by New Order
Great backbeat. Orgy proved that this song has staying power.
- 7. Relax by Frankie Goes To Hollywood
This song was the only thing that made the movie Body Double worth watching (Well, a trim Melanie Griffith helped too).
- 6. No Time to Loose by Tarney-Spencer Band
This song was a small hit twice: '79 & '81. Powerful lyrics and awesome driving backbeat. If you've never heard it; find it, listen to it, love it.
- 5. Heat of the Moment by Asia
Last best use of a Fender Rhodes in Rock and Roll. Thomas Dolby pronounced them "the last of the Dinosaur Bands". Yea, right.
- 4. In the Stone by Earth Wind and Fire
One of the greatest intro's of all time. EW&F were the Soul of the 70' and 80'.
- 3. New Years Day by U2
U2 IS the group of the 80's. This is such an awesome song, I still play it at midnight on New Years Eve when the party is at my house.
- 2. Overkill by Men at Work
These guys from Down Under had alot of silly songs. This was a classic.
- 1. The Promise by When in Rome
The best non-sappy love song of all times. Too bad for them that Duran Duran usually gets credit for this treasure.
Forgive me if I have a 70's song somewhere in here. I going on my fleeting memory which has a habit of betraying me from time to time.
By: chain lightning
Honorable mentions: Whip It (Devo); She Blinded Me With Science (Thomas Dolby); Photograph (Def Leppard); Be Good Johnny (Men At Work); The Glamorous Life (Sheila E); Wild Boys, & View to a Kill (Duran Duran); Jungle Love (The Time); and anything by Prince
By: paul spooner
- 10. Kylie Minogue by I Should Be So Lucky
kylie's first uk hit and always a classic!!!
- 9. Five Star by Whenever You're Ready
i remember loving this band!!!
- 8. Foolish Beat by Debbie Gibson
does anyone remember this girl??
- 7. Nothings Gonna Change My Love For You by Glenn Medeiros
this was a real summer balad back in 88
- 6. Song For Whoever by Beautiful South
- 5. Gambler by Madonna
this song always reminds me of 80's madonna,and look at her music now! She still as good now as she was then if not better!!!
- 4. Come On Eileen by Dexys Midnight Runners
- 3. Tainted Love by Soft Cell
this will always be a classic!
- 2. Smalltown Boy by Bronski Beat
A very heart felt song with an excellent vid that really gets a msg across
- 1. Big In Japan by Alphaville
By: ryan whitelaw
- 10. Red Red Wine by Ub 40
just reminds me of sitting on a beach drinking a cold beer.
- 9. Beat It by Michael Jackson
van halen, nuff said
- 8. Take On Me by A-ha
what a song and video
- 7. Down Under by Men At Work
happy wee song
- 6. Sultans Of Swing by Dire Straits
one of the best guitar solos ever imn my opinion
- 5. Every Breath You Take by The Police
- 4. Eurthymics by Sweet Dreams
annie lennoxs voice is haunting, great song
- 3. You Can Call Me Al by Paul Simon
a great fun song
- 2. With Or Without You by U2
reminds me of an ex, i love it and hate it at the same time, not many songs do that to you. lol
- 1. Billie Jean by Micheal Jackson
the greatest pop, dance and party song of all time, it will never be beaten.
im only 21 , lol i do love my 80s but.
By: Hüseyin Demiray
- 10. Steve Wonder by I Just Called to Say I Love You
- 9. Run DMC & Aero Smith by Walk This Way
- 8. Survivor by Eye of The Tiger
- 7. Duran Duran by Wild Boys
- 6. Michael Jackson by Billie Jean
- 5. Modern Talking by You're My Heart You're My Soul
- 4. Moon Ray by Coomenchero
- 3. Albano & Romina Power by Felichita
- 2. Scotch by Disco Band
- 1. Alphaville by Big in Japan
I love very much these songs These are romantics, emotional, and exciting I will send other top ten 80's song list. Bye!... from İstanbul.
- 10. Man Of Colours by Icehouse
A beautiful touching, moving song by a great group. I like this song because it has a special feel and emotion to it.
- 9. Words Don't Come Easy by F.R David
First heard this song in a fish n'chip takeaway shop while playing galaga and liked it and always will.
- 8. Split Enz by Poor Boy
One of the lesser well known songs, but a goodie in my opion. Good lyrics tells it how it is.
- 7. Love My Way by Psychedelic Furs
Has that real 80's feel to it this song so that's why I like it.
- 6. Don't You Forget About Me by Simple Minds
Reminds me of the Breakfast Club, Fantastic Song...Such a good song to go with such a good movie, really makes a point.
- 5. It's Raining Again by Supertramp
A heartfelt song with nice lyrics. Reminds me of my childhood growing up this song does so that's why I like it.
- 4. Every Breath You Take by Police
A classic song with a beautiful music video. All of the police songs were great, but this one really stands out as my favourite.
- 3. Sara by Starship
They just don't make great songs like this anymore.....Great song, nothing's gonna stop us now is also a great song as well from starship
- 2. Africa by Toto
Whenever I listen to this song it always makes me think back to a simplier time in life, makes me sad too...
- 1. Hold Me Now by Thompson Twins
In my opion, Nothing will ever top this song. It is my all time favourite and the music video they made is simply awesome.
Best group ever................The Smiths !
- 10. Africa by Toto
- 9. Only Time Will Tell by Asia
- 8. Why Can't This Be Love? by Van Halen
- 7. Steppin' Out by Joe Jackson
i love that man
- 6. You Are The Girl by The Cars
- 5. Something About You by Level-42
- 4. Always Gonna Love You by Gary Moore
in fact, all of Moore's songs are very good
- 3. Onde Night In Bangkok by Chess
- 2. Moonlight Shadow by Mike Oldfield
How you can forget this excelent song?
- 1. Broken Land by The Adventures
This is the best song i heard
but there are too many songs i forget
By: Kirk Thurbide
- 10. Voices Carry by 'Til Tuesday
- 9. Pulling Mussels from a Shell by Squeeze
- 8. I Got You by Split Endz
Neil Finn's precursor to Crowded House. Great song.
- 7. State of the Heart by Rick Springfield
For anyone who thinks "Jessie's Girl" is the only song he had.
- 6. What Am I Gonna Do With These Hands by Andrew Cash
- 5. Duran Duran by A View to a Kill
- 4. Might As Well Be On Mars by Pukka Orchestra
You've probably never heard of it. It was a lesser than follow-up single to 'Listen to the Radio', which wasn't a huge hit anyway. At any rate, a great song and worth a listen.
- 3. Veronica by Elvis Costello
Great lyrics and good energy.
- 2. Wouldn't It Be Good by Nik Kershaw
Should be on every 80's top ten list.
- 1. Boys of Summer by Don Henley
Quality writing with a strong arrangement.
- 10. Look Of Love (live version) by ABC
- 9. Walk This Way by Aerosmith & Run DMC
- 8. She's Out Of My Life by Michael Jackson
- 7. Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen
- 6. Gun Shy by 10000 Maniacs
- 5. Pictures Of You by The Cure
- 4. Throwing It All Away by Genesis
- 3. Circle by Edie Brickell & The New Bohemians
- 2. Talking About A Revolution by Tracy Chapman
- 1. Every Breath You Take by The Police
- 10. Enola Gay by OMD
- 9. Forever Young by Alphaville
- 8. Respect by Erasure
I really like the lyrics and Andy's voice.
- 7. Autobahn by Kraftwerk
Just a cool song.
- 6. Come on Eileen by Dexys Midnight Runners
- 5. Six Months In A Leaky Boat by Crowded House
Fun song. The longer version (not the radio version) has a beautiful piano-playing ending.
- 4. Dream come true by Frozen Ghost
Silly band name but the ultimate love song.
- 3. Leaving me now by Level 42
A song of heartbreak.
- 2. Dancing with Tears in my Eyes by Ultravox
- 1. Africa by Toto
I have loved this song all these years.
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.