In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
- 10. Bobby´s girl by Tracey Ullman
- 9. My hometown by Bruce Springsteen
- 8. Blown Away by Jeff Lynne
- 7. I drove all night by Roy Orbison (90)
- 6. Take on me by A-ha
- 5. Shirley by Shakin Stevens
- 4. So Serious by ELO
- 3. Summer of 69 by Bryan Adams
- 2. Calling America by ELO
- 1. Sunglasses by Tracey Ullman
By: Joseph Hurlington
The songs I appreciate most from the 1980's were all written by Bryan Ferry and Roxy Music. The man is a genius. Roxy Music were often imitated, but never bettered! :)
- 10. Cum on Feel the Noize by Quiet Riot
It just rocks.
- 9. You Spin Me Round by Dead of Alive
Keep this song spinning round and round.
- 8. Everybody's Working for the Weekend by Loverboy
I work for money, but the weekend is nice.
- 7. Land Downunder by Men at Work
This song can be stuck in your head from the 80's.
- 6. I Ran by A Flock of Seagulls
- 5. Shout by Tears For Fears
Shout, shout, let it all out.
- 4. We're Not Gonna Take It by Twisted Sister
For the rebel in us all.
- 3. You've Got Another Thing Comin' by Judas Priest
You've got another thing coming if you think this song is bad.
- 2. Fire Woman by The Cult
For those of you who know this one, you know it rocks.
- 1. Pour Some Sugar on Me by Def Leppard
Quite possibly the greatest song of all time.
- 10. The Sun Always Shines On Tv by A-Ha
- 9. Rock of Ages by Def Leppard
A rock classic.
- 8. Don't Pay The Ferryman by Chris de Burgh
- 7. When You Were Mine by Cyndi Lauper
Have only heard one version better than this one - Ani DiFranco duet with Maceo Parker.
- 6. Talkin' Bout A Revolution by Tracy Chapman
So many of her songs are excellent - but this has to be her best (well I think so)
- 5. Eye Of The Tiger by Survivor
Need I say more - great song.
- 4. Wild Again by Starship
From the soundtrack of Cocktail. Plays at the beginning when they are chasing down the bus and TC gets his ride into NY
- 3. Africa by Toto
Excellent. Somehow reminds me of Chirundu and the area around it.
- 2. Don't Stop Believing by Journey
The sound is probably very stereotypical of the 80s and the stuff great movie soundtracks are made of. Great sound
- 1. Tarzan Boy by Baltimora
Unfortunately was a one hit wonder - not the most imaginitive lyrics but the tune was really catchy.
It's a pity that this is only a top 10 list - there are so many other songs one could include. One of the things with 80s music is that you may not remember the title or group but as soon as you hear the song you remember it and most probably have a memory associated with it.
By: Holly Golightly
- 10. What I Like About You by The Romantics
I LOVE this song! It's just a great 80's song, and one of those songs that comes on that you just HAFTA dance to!
- 9. Black Velvet by Allanah Myles
OK, so I know I have a lot of girls on this list, but being a chick that sings, I'm partial...plus, it makes for a good karaoke song.
- 8. Bette Davis Eyes by Kim Carnes
I don't know why...it's just cool.
- 7. Don't You by Simple Minds
How can you forget about 'The Breakfast Club' song?! Not only is it a good song, but it comes from the soundtrack of a really cool 80's flick!
- 6. Manic Monday by The Bangles
It's another 'feel good' chick song. Plus, this group (as well as several other girl groups in the 80's) pretty much proved you can be famous and not really have much musical talent. Anyway, it can be a real pick-me-up when you have a case of the 'Mondays.' -Sorry, I'm a big 'Office Space' fan...
- 5. White Wedding by Billy Idol
It doesn't need an explanation...it's Billy Idol, and it's just a cool song.
- 4. Lost In Your Eyes by Debbie Gibson
*Sigh*...another junior high dance classic. Boys on one side, girls on the other...Who can resist a 'puppy love' kinda song by a girl who was lookin' pretty 'rad' in that black, 80's style hat...I KNOW you know what I'm talking about...
- 3. We Built This City by Jefferson Starship
It's just a fun song. Not to mention it's a GREAT driving song. Y'know, one of those songs that just sounds really good in the car for some odd reason...
- 2. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper
C'mon...like it NEEDS an explanation?! I know it's already on this list, but I think that it's just a given. I personally think it's frozen in time as the ultimate 'girl anthem.' What chick can listen to this song without singing along, (and looking in the mirror singing with your hairbrush 'microphone.)
- 1. Angel Eyes by Jeff Healey Band
It's just a great love song from the 80's. Can't you just picture scores of young kids with their 'mall bangs' and mullets slow dancing in the junior high gym?
The 80's remain one of the tackiest decades. However, there managed to be some awesome music to emerge. So, at least when we look back and laugh about what we wore, said, and did...at least we can listen to some cool music to help with the reminiscing...
By: Brent Johnsen
Honorable Mention: St. Elmos Fire - John Paar, Dont Stop Believen - Journey Get Out Of My Dreams - Billy Ocean, Kyrie - Mr. Mister, Solsbury Hill - Peter Gabriel, Cant Figh This Feeling Anymore - REO Speedwagon
- 10. Conga by Gloria Estefan
- 9. Tarzan Boy by Baltimora
- 8. People From Ibiza by Sandy Marton
- 7. Take On Me by A-ha
- 6. A View To A Kill by Duran Duran
- 5. Rasputin by Boney M
- 4. Big In Japan by Alphaville
- 3. Life Is Life by Opus
- 2. One Night In Bankok by Murray Head
- 1. Diamond by Via Verdi
- 10. The Power Of Love by Frankie Goes To Hollywood
- 9. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun by Cindy Lauper
- 8. Send Me An Angel by Real Life
- 7. Fade To Grey by Visage
- 6. Nowhere Girl by B. Movie
The 12" version
- 5. Souvenir by OMD
- 4. Walk of Life by Dire Straits
- 3. Gold by Spandau Ballet
- 2. Wouldn't It Be Good by Nik Kershaw
Best video ever
- 1. Vienna by Ultravox
Never get tired of it
By: Bruno Villaizán
- 10. Cold War by Devo
Muy pilera y de estilo fresco
- 9. New Life by Depeche Mode
El inicio del techno pop
- 8. Don't You Want Me by The Human League
toda EL inicio del esplendor del new wave
- 7. Antmusic by Adam And The Ants
Otro tema pilerisimo dificil de olvidarse
- 6. Time Out For Fun by Devo
El grupo de Baltimore realmente la rompe
- 5. House Fun by Madness
Para variar el blue ska se pone a tiro
- 4. Tainted love by Soft Cell
Otro buenisimo tema new wave. Muy recomendable... inolvidable en cualquier ranking
- 3. Madonna's Eyes by Jennifer Rush
Te proyecta a un lugar sin igual
- 2. Jolly Roger by Adam And The Ants
los temas pileros son díficiles de olvidar, y esta es memorable, mezcla el glam rock con la new wave
- 1. I Fought The Law by The Clash
Una de las mejores bandas de la historia. Y ese temita es de los cincuenta, pero ellos lo volvieron épico, para que más. Todo el poder punk
By: Johnny Fuckin Gun
- 10. Don't You Forget About Me by Simple Minds
Soft song....hard to forget
- 9. Should I Stay or Should I Go by The Clash
Commercial Punk Rock....still fuckin good
- 8. Sweet Child O'Mine by Guns' n' Roses
Axl Rose's finest moment
- 7. How Soon is Now by The Smiths
"I am the sun,I am the Earth..."
- 6. Ace of Spades by Motörhead
Yes!Yes!Thank God for Lemmy
- 5. Is This love by Whitesnake
The most FM song ever
- 4. Crazy Train by Ozzy Osbourne
Mr Madman is in the house
- 3. Pride (In the Name of Love) by U2
The best U2 song
- 2. The Number of the Beast by Iron Maiden
New Wave of British Metal in action
- 1. Every Breath you Take by The Police
The most 80s song ever
Is this it?Yes,it is
- 10. Addicted To Love by Robert Palmer
- 9. Insensative by Jann Arden
- 8. I Touch Myself by Divinyls
- 7. Sunglasses At Night by Corey Hart
- 6. I Love Rock N Roll by Joan Jett
- 5. I Want You To Want Me by Cheap Trick
- 4. All Of My Love by Led Zepplin
- 3. Love Shack by B52s
- 2. Use Your Love by The Outfield
- 1. Love Shack by B52s
By: Juan Carlos
- 10. More Than a Feeling by Boston
- 9. Two Steps Behind by Def Leppard
- 8. Have you Ever Seen The Rain by Creedence
- 7. I want to know what Love Is by Foreigner
- 6. Open Arms by Journey
- 5. Still Loving You by Scorpions
- 4. Is this Love by Whitesnake
- 3. Bed of Roses by Bon Jovi
- 2. Eyes With Out Face by Billie Idol
- 1. What it Takes by Aerosmith
As the Album Amazing
By: Hansel P. McCheese
- 10. Tenderness by General Public
Infectious song from the offspring of "The English Beat".
- 9. Troy by Sinead O'Connor
Best Female Singer in the World (bar none)
- 8. In a Big Country by Big Country
I figured at least one song on this list had to contain bagpipes.
- 7. Hungry Like The Wolf by Duran Duran
Every 80's list should have at least one song by these guys.
- 6. Head over Heals by Tears For Fears
Little known fact: this is Fidel Castro's favorite song.
- 5. West End Girls by Pet Shop Boys
If any group knows about girls, its these 2! (:
- 4. The Promise by When In Rome
Decided to release one great song before achieving their lifelong goal of dropping off the face of the earth.
- 3. Never Let Me Down by Depeche Mode
The greastest band of the 80's (no offence to any Spoons fans out there)
- 2. How Soon Is Now by The Smiths
The Stairway to heaven for my generation...
- 1. A Little Respect by Erasure
I have never gotten sick of this song...quite possibly the greatest song ever written (aside from Happy Birthday).
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.