In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
- 10. Something About You by Level 42
- 9. Broken Wings by Mister Mister
- 8. Come On Feel The Noise by Quit Riot
This is the best song, ever.
- 7. Rebel Rebel by David Bowie
- 6. The end by The doors
- 5. Like a virgin by Madonna
- 4. dance by David Bowie
- 3. With Or Without You by U2
- 2. I love rock and roll by Joan Jett
- 1. Jump by Van Halen
Great song, great artist!
- 10. Every Thing Bon Jovi Has Done by Bon Jovi
Till This Day One Of The Greatest Bands Ever. They Span 3 Decades And Will Be Around Forever. Put Them Down With All The Great Bands Like Areosmith, Rolling Stones, Metallica, And The Beatles. Bands Like These Are To Few In A Bussiness With Many
- 9. Heaven ,summerof 69 by Bryan Adams
Cuts Like A Nkife,straight From The Heart, Run To You, Everything I Do And Many More
- 8. Who Can It Be Now And The Land Down Under by Men At Work
Just A Few Of My Favorites.
- 7. Maneater by Hall And Oates
Lets Not Forget These Guys. Considered The Best Band Of The 80's.
- 6. Thriller by Michael Jackson
The Whole Thriller Album Was Is And Will Always Be The 80's.
- 5. Beat It by Michael Jackson
- 4. Billie Jean by Michael Jackson
- 3. Im Bad by LL Cool J
STILL GOING STRONG.
- 2. Straight Out Of Compton The Whole Cd by N.w.a .
The New Era Of Gangsta Rap. The Badest M F'ers In Rap History.
- 1. My Adiadas by Run Dmc
Godfathers Of Rap
Im Sure Theres A Lot Of Songs I Missed.
By: Rico Suave
- 10. 99 Luft Balloons by Nena
Both versions are incredibly good
- 9. Africa by Toto
Very well written
- 8. Billie Jean by Micheal Jackson
Great 80's dancing song
- 7. Tempted By the Fruit of Another by Squeeze
It's still popular
- 6. I Wear My Sunglasses At Night by Corey Hart
Many people did, I still do
- 5. I Ran by Flock Of Seagulls
Everybody loves this song
- 4. Come on Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners
A very recognizable song, indicitive of it's popularity
- 3. And the Beat Goes On by The Whispers
Good enough for Will Smith is good enough for me
- 2. Last Night A DJ Saved My Life by In Deep
Good movement to it
- 1. Video Killed The Radio Star by The Buggles
Defined MTV, Defined the 80's
Another thing that was great about the 80's, MULLETS!! (snicker snicker)
By: Lillian Montop
- 10. Madonna by Holiday
Made her a star! I love Madonna so sassy n beautiful aww work the camera your the best.
- 9. When Doves Cry by Prince
I love him hes sexy as heck! I know how it feels when doves cry thanks too Purple rain the best movie of all time and the song.
- 8. Take On Me by Ah-ha
I dont like the song 2 muh but the videos genius MTV called 1 of the best musical moments of all time I heard Ah-ha did all the drawings cool.
- 7. Eyes Without A Face by Billy Idol
I love Billys sneer its sexy the videos so hot and intense oooowwww!
- 6. Careless Whisper by Wham!
Ok im pissed why didnt George put Andrew in the song I will give George credit because he was 17 when he wrote this song and thats like makes you think what was this kid reading?
- 5. Everything She Wants by Wham!
I like the under dog which is the great Andrew Ridgely fuck camera hogging George Micheal who put Andrew in a corner and gave him 1 line which made the song great Dah dah dah dah dah then George took it in his own hands to say why I work so hard for you. Andrew rules!
- 4. Lay Your Hands On Me by Bon Jovi
JON BonJovis a babe I wanna have all his kids!
- 3. Money For Nothing by Dire straights
What a cool video I wish I could have been it.
- 2. Everybody Wants To Rule The World by Tears For Fears
Oh this songs eveywhere I love them sooooooo muchhh the best thing to come outta England.
- 1. Head Over Heels by Tears For Fears
Ilove them their the best band of the 80s!
- 10. Careless Whispers by Wham!
All I can think of are my Junior High dances and the scramble to find my crush when this song started to play.
- 9. Faithfully by Journey
Forget Open Arms....this was THE song that defined Journey.
- 8. The Promise by When In Rome
One hit wonder....damn hard to find song....still gets me every time I hear it.
- 7. Your Love by The Outfield
Can't get this song out of my head.
- 6. How Can I Fall by Breathe
Another beautiful(and largely overlooked song) from a band that didn't last long.
- 5. Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Leppard
This song was a powerhouse and still gets toes tapping everywhere to this day.
- 4. Forever by Kenny Loggins
If you have never heard this love song....GO FIND IT RIGHT NOW! Possibly one of the most beautiful love songs ever written.
- 3. Shadows of the Night by Pat Benatar
One of her catchiest songs to date.
- 2. Nothing's Gonna Change My Love For You by Glenn Medeiros
I hear this song and I am instantly 14 again(don't do the math) with my first love that moved away....*tear*
- 1. Always Something There To Remind Me by Naked Eyes
To me this song WAS the 80's.
As you can see I love the ballads waaaaay too much but they are just a part of who I am. Love lost...love found....mistakes made....love songs are who we are as people....just put to pretty music.
- 10. BIG(Big Audio Dynamite) by E=mc2
A fab song from these headbangers
- 9. When Love Breaks Down by Prefab Sprout
I had to put this one in, a very unrated band of the era, not the best but still very good-they come from my homeland Ireland in a county called Wexford home of the yellow bellies i believe
- 8. Rumours by Timex Social Club
Stop stop sprading these rumours around stop stop spreading the lies-how rear was this one
- 7. Wait by The Blow Monkeys
Dr Robert at his best supported by Kim Bazelle i think-but don't take my word for it
- 6. Perfect Way by Stritti Politti
Stritti Politti italian for genius
- 5. Im in love with a german film star by The Passions
Very classical and rear
- 4. Under the milky way by The Church
An aussie masterpiece if that was ever a one-hit wonder this was it
- 3. Like to get to know you well by Howard Jones
Doesn't anybody know anyone really that well-maybe howard jones did, you can see his resturant in London a colony of 80s
- 2. Shake your Love by Debbie Gibson
Never mind Britany Spears and your Holly Valences of this world debbie was there first
- 1. Heartbreak beat by Psychadelic Furs
Everybody has a heartbreak beat now and again just listen to the words-band mainly known for Pretty in Pink and Love My way but this there best one
How good were the 80s-Super why is all todays music replica to the best era of all time
By: Arturo H.
Increible la música de los 80. Son tantas las que quedan por mencionar. 11. Africa, Toto 12. Didn´t We almost have it all, Whitney Houston 13. y muchas mas...
- 10. Queen by We Will Rock You
- 9. Bad Medicine by Bonjovi
i'll be his bad medicine
- 8. Fight For Your Right TO Party by Beastie Boys
i'm not sure what the name of the song really is,but i like it,so if you like you'll know what i'm talking about.
- 7. I Wanna Rock by Twisted Sister
- 6. You Shook Me All Nightt Long by AC/DC
- 5. Crazy On You by Heart
i'm crazy for u,u know who....u.!.
- 4. Welcome To The Jungle by Guns-n-roses
got to love his voice!
- 3. Always by Bonjovi
how much romantic could they be
- 2. You Give Love A Bad Name by Bon Jovi
i wonder why he wrote this song?or for who?who could of giving jon a reason to say you give love a bad name or was he just bored and wrote what came out to be a great hit!:)
- 1. Dr.feel Good by Montly Crue
the beat and the lyrics are awesome
- 10. The Killing Moon by Echo and the Bunnymen
- 9. Bela Lugosi's Dead by Bauhaus
- 8. Killing an Arab by The Cure
- 7. Love Like Blood by Killing Joke
- 6. I Ran (So Far Away) by A Flock of Seaguls
- 5. How Soon Is Now? by The Smiths
- 4. Anything by The Damned
- 3. Christine by Siouxsie & the Banshees
- 2. Love Will Tear Us Apart by Joy Division
- 1. Just Can't Get Enough by Depechce Mode
Too many to list, I'd be here forever!
- 10. Eaton Rifles by The Jam
- 9. Too Much Too Young by The Specials
- 8. No Laughing In Heaven by Gillan
- 7. Our House by Madness
- 6. My Girl Lolliop by Bad Manners
- 5. Swords of a Thousand Men by Tenpole Tudor
- 4. Hersham Boys by Cockney Rebels
- 3. Two Pints of Lager & a Packet of Crisps by Splodgenessabounds
- 2. Tour De France by Kraftwerk
- 1. Bang Bang by B.A. Robertson
By: robert curtis
- 10. Bigmouth Strikes Again by The Smiths
you can't help but sing along with this song
- 9. Ceremony by New Order
very catchy and sad but great song
- 8. Goodbye Horses by Q. Lazzarus
not sure when this song came out, but it's that song from "The Silence of the Lambs" when buffalo bill is dancing naked.
- 7. Love Song by The Cure
the greatest lovesong ever
- 6. Enjoy The Silence by Depeche Mode
Their best song
- 5. Blue Monday by New Order
Good club song
- 4. Call Me by Blondie
this song gets stuck in my head for days
- 3. Love my way by Psychadelic Furs
great damn song
- 2. This Charming Man by The Smiths
the smiths are the best 80's band
- 1. Love Will Tear Us Apart by Joy Division
song might have came out in the seventies but a great song anyways
- 10. One Summer by Daryl Braithwaite
- 9. Bon Jovi by Living on a Prayer
- 8. True Blue by John Williamson
Perhaps not the classic 80s, but this Australian country legend deserves a spot in any list.
- 7. 500 Miles by The Proclaimers
- 6. Working Class Man by Jimmy Barnes
- 5. Dancing in the Dark by Bruce Springstein
- 4. Your the Voice by John Farnham
The artist formally known as Johnny has to be one of the classic singers of the 80s.
- 3. Run to Paradise by Choirboys
- 2. Summer of '69 by Bryan Adams
- 1. Innocent Man by Billy Joel
A truly brilliant song
A distinctly Australian flavour, but I make no apologies for that.
- 10. Livin On a Prayer by Bon Jovi
The first 5 years of my post-college life. The Reagan years were tough.
- 9. In the Dark by Billy Squier
Billy said it all about society. Too bad he turned out to be right.
- 8. I Can't Drive 55 by Sammy Hagar
Sammy musta hated Reagan when he changed the speed limit to 55.
- 7. Moving In Sterio by Cars
Back to that haunting theme, again.
- 6. Let's go All the Way by Sly Foxx
I think the title speaks for itself
- 5. Men Without Shame by Phantom Rocker &slcik
The anthem of "theme" songs of the mid-late 80's.
- 4. Under the Gun by Poco
A fun song. "Speaks to me in my working years"
- 3. Crazy in the Night by Kim Carnes
The pattern of haunting songs goes on. Forget Bette Davis Eyes, this one was just flat out pounded with emotion.
- 2. Voices by Russ Ballard
Almost sinister. How many of us, "hear Voices".
- 1. Home By the Sea by Genisis
Strong Vocals by Collins. A chilling theme that reminds me on New England in the wintertime during a noreaster.
By: steve joslin
- 10. All of my heart by ABC.
- 9. The Riddle by Nik Kershaw
- 8. Under your thumb by Godley and Creme
- 7. Kings of the wild frontier by Adam and the Ants
- 6. Enola Gay by OMD
- 5. The sun always shines on tv by A-Ha.
- 4. Freedom by Wham
- 3. Wishing by A Flock of Seagulls
- 2. Beds are burning by Midnight Oil
- 1. Love will tear us apart by Joy Division
By: Carrie E. Wilson
- 10. Broken Wings by Mr. Mister
Great song, and there are some great remixes of it out there too.
- 9. Darling Nikki by Prince & The Revolution
Is there any song of Prince's that isn't good? And this one is SWEET!
- 8. Still Rock 'n' Roll To Me by Billy Joel
The Piano Man makes nerdy cool.
- 7. True by Spandau Ballet
I always think of the movie "Sixteen Candles" when I hear this great love song.... :0)
- 6. Hold Me Now by Thompson Twins
Though commonly mistaken for The Proclaimers, these guys make this a stand out song with an interesting castinet line.
- 5. Love Shack by B-52's
What person doesn't know the words to this song?
- 4. Oppourtunities by Pet Shop Boys
Any song by these guys is classic 80's.
- 3. Holding Back the Years by Simply Red
Fabulous vocals and an outstanding song.
- 2. Personal Jesus by Depeche Mode
Just a flat out sexy, funky song.... I love it.
- 1. Please, Please, Please by The Smiths
Probably their shortest song, but so sweet and to the point.
There are SOOO many more... In fact I have an 80's music database that I am always updating. If you wanna contribute, e-mail me!
By: Mark Bellefontaine
- 10. Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler
Another one of those catchy pop songs that you couldnt get out of your head and that you still sing too today when you hear it
- 9. Panama by Van Halen
just a guilty pleasure......that summer was so much fun for me and that song just stuck out.
- 8. I know there's something going on by Frida
wow what a break from abba (who i loved) and it showcased phil collins the classic drummer, not the sappy pop singer of disney movies
- 7. King in a Catholic Style by China Crisis
wake up....wake up.....wake up.......definitely an underrated band of the eighties.
- 6. Borderline by Madonna
At the beginning of one of the greatest careers in music. A song you couldnt help sing too. Even today the song holds up so well
- 5. Bette Davis Eyes by Kim Carnes
This has to be one of the greatest pop songs of all times. Kim carnes voice was so sexy and those clapping hands were so catchy
- 4. Forever Young by Alphaville
the song simply spoke to my heart and my feelings in that age
- 3. Relax by Frankie Goes To Hollywood
How many people actually knew what the hell they were saying, that and the endless pounding beat made this song
- 2. Bizarre Love Triange by New Order
what can i say.....i just love the beat and the dance......this song makes you feel so free
- 1. It's My Life by Talk Talk
Quite simply the best dance song ever, especially the remixes
Loved all the big bands from that time (although some were bigger in the 70's)......journey, foreigner, genesis, supertramp, fleetwood mac, REO speedwagon, Bon Jovi..........AND DEF LEPPARD
- 10. Sweet Child O Mine by Guns N Roses
- 9. Perfect Strangers by Deep Purple
- 8. Paradise City by Guns N roses
- 7. Keeper Of The Seven Keys by Helloween
- 6. Phantom of the opera by Iron Maiden
- 5. Back In Black by ACDC
- 4. Holy Diver by Dio
- 3. Heaven and Hell by Black Sabbath
- 2. One by Mettallica
- 1. Hallowed be thy name by Iron Maiden
By: Ryan Cole
- 10. Boys Of Summer by Don Henley
It's a shame that half of today's kids probably think The Ataris wrote this classic...
- 9. Hot Girls In Love by Loverboy
It's Loverboy... Need I say more?
- 8. Master Of Puppets by Metallica
Not to ignore the heavier side of the 80's, while it's not my fave 80's Metallica song, it's probably their best.
- 7. Your Love by The Outfield
One of the most overlooked songs of the 80's, but it's made its way onto my top 10.
- 6. Sunglasses At Night by Corey Hart
I'm Canadian, and I wear sunglasses at night... Thank you, Corey.
- 5. The Knight Rider Theme Song by No Idea...
I don't know who wrote it, but if I ever meet him, I'm giving him all my worldly possessions and spending the remainder of my life worshipping him.
- 4. Mighty Wings by Cheap Trick
Really, half of the Top Gun soundtrack should be on this list...
- 3. Shoot To Thrill by AC/DC
Yet another "cruising" song... Perfect for those arms-out-the-windows drives to the beach in the summer.
- 2. Radar Love by Broken Earring
This song has invariable made it onto every cd and tape I've ever made for the purpose of road tripping...
- 1. Push It To The Limit by Paul Engemann
If a spaceman landed in my backyard, and wanted to know what the 80's sounded like, this is the track I'd play him.
There's something about the music of the 80's that just makes me happy. As cheezy as some of it was, there was a lot of creativity behind it, which can't be said for today's 4-chord rockers like Nickleback...
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.