In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
By: Edward Lawrence
- 10. St Elmos Fire Theme by Not Sure Who Did It.
- 9. Down Under by Men At Work
6 foot 4 and full a muscle................
- 8. Africa by ToTo
- 7. Father Figure by George Michael
George michael is a P.I.M.P.
- 6. Amanda by Boston
Kinda soft for them, but they road the bandwagon in the 80's
- 5. Eyes Without A Face by Billy Idol
Great song, from lost boys.
- 4. Walking On The Moon by Police
if not U2, then Police is #1, its a toss up
- 3. With or Without you by U2
Perhaps the best band of the 80's
- 2. Take On Me by A-Ha
One hit wonder but oh well!
- 1. Hungry Like a Wolf by Duran Duran
- 10. Come On Eileen by Dexys Midnight Runners
we used to sing this on the way home from school !
- 9. Must Be Talking To An Angel by Eurithmics
- 8. Blondie by Heart Of Glass
i remember when me and my friends used to go out - this was the song we would listen to to get ready
- 7. Radio Ga Ga by Queen
i was lucky enough to go to live ad and when queen performed this the crowd went wild - freddie mercury really proved himself to be the best that day
- 6. Karma Chamelion by Culture Club
brings back happy school memories :-)
- 5. True by Spandau Ballet
- 4. Lets Dance by David Bowie
what an icon he is
- 3. Whos Gonna Drive You Home Tonight by The Cars
i remember it came out in the live aid period and it was a real raw emotional song - they played this when we saw all the horrible footage
- 2. Wake Me Up Before You Go Go by Wham
- 1. I Want To Break Free by Queen
a classic queen song great to sing to and brings back some fond memories of school
By: Mathias Pattyi
A-ha och Hall and oates har lekstuga(got a playhouse in swe. = Rules), the others got a nice flow.
By: Job Sagolta
the 80s was the most disgraceful and disgusting period of history. if you lived during any part of the 80s you should jab a knife in your temple.
By: John P
- 10. Dirty Diana by Michael Jackson
Damn Mike was bad in the 80s. Now he's lost it!
- 9. Suddenly by Billy Ocean
I luv this song but the vocals wouldve been suited to a voice like a young stevie wonder but neither the less the song is still lovely.
- 8. Fame!!! by Irene Cara
Doesnt this song remind you of the 80s. makes me want to dance
- 7. Dont Stop The Music by Yarborough & the Peoples
This song is just pure Genius. Through out the whole song its quite mediocre untill it reaches the second chorus. The lead vocals and the backup vocals absolutely blow me away , which makes the second chorus worth waiting for!!!!!
- 6. Hazardous / Endless Summer Nights by Richard Marx
If ever there was an artist who carved a niche during the eightees it would have to be him.
- 5. Shake you Down by Gregory Abbott
I absolutely adore this song especially when im drunk. And the backup vocals in the chorus are heavenly
- 4. Love Bites by Deff Leppard
Couldnt get enough of this song and the clip as a kid. I used to thrash it.
- 3. Baby Come Back by Ambrosia
Wonderful vocals and music, very eightees.
- 2. Rosana / Hold The Line by Toto
Rosana has the meanest riffs and drum rolls before the chorus and the jam session at the end of the song is just overwhelming. Hold the line has one of the most exciting drum rolls at the end of the guitar solo, not to metion the guitar solos ending is breathe taking!
- 1. Forever Now by Cold Chisel
The guitars licks and the drums are a match made in heaven. those Aussies eh!
These songs arenot in any particular order. Other Artist i couldve mentioned would be El Debarge(rythym of the night),Chicago (Baby what a big suprise), Michael Jackson (Liberian Girl). I could go on forever but i wont. Anyway what a great site man , its good to see that good music hasnt been forgotten but it shows how crap music is right now though LOL
i love to burn every last song on here
By: Alan Suboter
- 10. Persiana Americana by Soda Stereo
Another Argentinian new wave hit that could be heard at every bar in Juarez. Great song to dance to!
- 9. 10-9-8 by Face to Face
Who doesn't feel like this at times in a relationship? "10-9-8 I'm always counting down...isn't it funny I never get to one."
- 8. Cruz De Navajas by Mecano
No Mario! Don't do it! Too late! This song always reminds me of my cousin Mario and all the parties we went to. How did we survive?
- 7. La Muralla Verde by Los Enanitos Verdes
New Wave hit Argentina with a bang, and great bands like Enanitos Verdes was the result. This was the first New Wave song in Spanish I heard.
- 6. Dead Pop Stars by Altered Images
A great song about how fickle fans can be!
- 5. Words by Missing Persons
How 80's can you get? Dale Bozzio in a plastic bra with white, pink, and blue hair! And the lyrics reflected the Regan era so well!
- 4. Party Fears Two by The Associates
Unknown in the US, The Associates were an awesome band that created some of the most bizzare and interesting music in the 80's.
- 3. Only the Lonely by The Motels
This song reminds me of the 80's and California.
- 2. So L.A. by The Motels
The Motels were so much the 80's answer to the Doors. This song, a b-side, was a concert favorite that captured the reality of those who move to LA to try and make it and fail.
- 1. Take The L by The Motels
A great song by a great band. All the anxieties of new love are captured by Marty Jourard's lyrics and Martha Davis' vocals.
The Motels embodied the mood of the 80's with their dark lyrics and haunting vocals by Martha Davis.
- 10. Centipede by Rebbie Jackson
- 9. Flashdance by Irene Cara
- 8. Wake up it's 1984 by Oningo Boingo
1983-84 walk through the last day of 1983
- 7. Time by Culture Club
- 6. Sugar Walls by Sheena Easton
1985 SEXY SWEDISH
- 5. Physical by Olivia Newton-John
1981 every men wants to get physical with her
- 4. Don't Stand Another Chance by Janet Jackson
- 3. Ghostbusters by Ray Parker jr.
1984 this a very fun song including the movie
- 2. I Ran So Far Away by Flock of Seagulls
1982 badd hair day
- 1. Thriller by Michael Jackson
1982 just too scary in the begnning of the video
these song were around between 1982-1986
- 10. Moments In Love by Art Of Noise
Great love song!
- 9. True by Spandu Ballet
You can makeout to that song!
- 8. I Ran by A Flock Of Seagulls
The hair in that video!
- 7. These Dreams by Heart
Don't know to say!
- 6. Take On Me by A-Ha
I loved the video. They just don't make videos like that anymore. (Ha-ha)
- 5. P.Y.T. by Michael Jackson
He's the King Of Pop!
- 4. Voices Carry by Til' Tuesday
A good song with a good message.
- 3. Sweet Dreams by The Eurthymics
My favorite dance song of all time!
- 2. When I Think Of You by Janet Jackson
Need I say anything about this song?!
- 1. I Can't Go For That by Hall & Oates
My favorite song by Hall & Oates. I love them so much!
I LOVE THE 80s
By: Billy Duncan AKA 80s freak
- 10. Tomorrow by Stratovarius
- 9. November Rain by Guns N Roses
- 8. Dream Police by Cheap Trick
- 7. Stranger In Town by Toto
- 6. Don't Close Your Eyes by Kix
- 5. Love Song by Tesla
- 4. The Final Countdown by Europe
- 3. Eagleheart by Stratovarius
- 2. You're All I Need by Motley Crue
De Las Mejores Baladas Rockeras, La Historia Es Triste........
- 1. Life Goes On by Poison
Es La Mejor Cancion De Poison, Y De Las Mejores Que He Escuchado, Sobretodo Por Su Fantastica Guitarra Intermedia !!!!!!!!! Es La Mejor
By: Helen Quinn
- 10. I ran by Flock of seagulls
The mirrors are cool and I like their hair.The girl in the video makes it rock.
- 9. Walk like an Egyptian by The Bangles.
I love the backround and how their all dressed like mummies. Cool.
- 8. Beat it by Micheal Jackson
Eddie tore up the beat, Micheals vocals helped. The video was supercool with the gangs.
- 7. Take on me by Ah-ha
Who knew animation could be so cool. Good video.
- 6. Stray cats strut by Stray cats
By the looks of that video stary cats to do strut. who knew? Great video.
- 5. Shout by Tears for fears
I hope one day I can stand on and cliff and shout, I hope we all live one day to shout. Great video.
- 4. Careless whisper by Wham!
Another video thats cute I like Georges smile and his eyes went up I thought oh thats cute I wouldve never thought that if Id knew a few seconds later hed be getting it on with another girl. You all have a nice day.
- 3. Like a prayer by Madonna
Burning crosses not so hot but the song ruled.
- 2. Jump by Van Halen
Another cute dance but with Eddie and David.Then Dave does the jump in the air and in the end hes says jump with no sound.cool.
- 1. Planet earth by Duran Duran
Excellent song and the videos cool I like the back round and the little dance John and Simon do with their feet.
- 10. I Feel For You by Chaka Khan
- 9. Don't Dream Its Over by Crowded House
- 8. Dream Street/Control by Janet Jackson
- 7. Goody-Goody Two Shoes by Adam Ant
1982 my mother like this song
- 6. Lucky Star by Madonna
1983 dancing with fishnets? ha!
- 5. Whip It by Devo
1980 sexy song for a sexy tool
- 4. Some kind of Lover by Jody Watley
- 3. Headlines by Midnight Star
1985 what they be reading about?
- 2. You & I by O'Bryan
1981 slow but setimental
- 1. Reflex by Duran-Duran
1982 i love this song
- 10. Party Train by Gap Band
- 9. Night Shift by The Commodores
- 8. Look Out Any Window by Bruce Hornsby and the Range
Another great song off of "Scenes from the Southside".
- 7. Stomp by The Brothers Johnson
Yes, it is an 80's song...1980 to be exact.
- 6. Video Killed the Radio Star by The Buggles
- 5. With One Look (The Wildest Dreams) by Rupert Hine
From the "Better Off Dead" soundtrack, great song.
- 4. I Love You by Climax Blues Band
- 3. Looking For Clues by Robert Palmer
He will be missed.
- 2. One Step Beyond by Madness
- 1. Synchronicity I and II (tie) by The Police
Greatest band that ever was, what better than to pick the 2 title tracks off of one of the greatest albums ever?
By: english andy
- 10. Blue Monday by New Order
makes me want to go clubbiin' all over again!
- 9. Changes by David Bowie
i think it's 80's, anyway I played it all the time back then!
- 8. Mad World by Tears For Fears
an early one, but a good'n
- 7. Infected by The The
whatever happened to this innovative band?
- 6. Perfect Skin by Lloyd Cole & The Commotions
i love all his music, try some
- 5. Feel The Raindrops by The Adventures
- 4. Solitude Standing by Suzanne Vega
- 3. Kick In The Eye by Bauhaus
reminds me of some great parties
- 2. Christian by China Crisis
a moody one from the liverpool lads
- 1. It's My Life by Talk Talk
still great blasted out on vinyl
By: Maurizio from Finland
- 10. It's My Life by Talk Talk
- 9. The Model by Kraftwerk
- 8. White Wedding by Billy Idol
- 7. Roxy Music by Avalon
- 6. Cars by Gary Neuman
- 5. Don't You want me by Human League
- 4. Ultravox by Vienna
- 3. Enola Gay by OMD
- 2. Fade to Gray by Visage
- 1. Kim Carnes by Betty Davis Eyes
Sure, there was the Rolling Stones, but they are ageless.
By: Julius M. Knight
There are a whole bunch of songs the 80s that I love.
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.