In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
You guys have forgot some of the best songs ever written here you go its just a start of what i could think of right now how did nobody have ANY JOVI. I know all you guys rocked to it so you might as well put it down
By: Ferdinand Wagner
- 10. Down Under by Men At Work
The last I put in. I considered picking the Dire straits, but I like 'Down under' more than any of the Dire's songs.
- 9. Blueprint by Rainbirds
A typical 80s one hit wonder.
- 8. 500 Miles by The Hooters
A different one, not that of the Proclaimers. A cover song, I guess, but well-arranged.
- 7. Cap In Hand by The Proclaimers
'500 miles' was their only big one, but they made some real great stuff.
- 6. Charming Man by The Smiths
I just know a few songs, but all those impressed me quite well.
- 5. Rock'n'Roll Rendezvous by Spider Murphy Gang
A German Rock'n'Roll band with a bavarian slang. Rather funny on the one hand and pure R'n'R on the other.
- 4. Personal Jesus by Depeche Mode
Same procedure as the last one. Probably I like 'Enjoy the silence' the most.
- 3. The Reflex by Duran Duran
Since 'Ordinary world' is a early 90s song, I chose 'The Reflex' representing the whole work of Duran Duran.
- 2. Rock The Casbah by The Clash
I don't know, maybe it's just temporary, but it's a great song.
- 1. Fantastic Dream by Alphaville
My favourite (80s) band, but I don't really have a favourite song, so I picked a nice, not so well-known.
I was really not sure about the order of the bands and I will have missed some of my favourites, but those were the first that came to my mind.
By: Rodrigo Mulkey
- 10. Down Under by Men at Work
flute and keyboards... this is all music should be made of!!!
- 9. Logical Song by Supertramp
this song recreates in me a mistical enviroment, something i just can't explain.
- 8. Sunday Bloody Sunday by U2
how long, how long must we sing this song!
- 7. Your Love by the Outfield
josies' on a vacation far away...
- 6. It's a Kind of Magic by Queen
freddy... =] it's a kind of magic la la la la
- 5. Beat It by Michael Jackson
set him free, MJ rulez!
- 4. Living on a Prayer by Bon Jovi
I was like 7 years old when i heard this for the first time, maybe the first rock song i ever enjoyed
- 3. Africa by Toto
vocal harmony, something that the actual bands forgot about
- 2. Jump by Van Halen
How i love those keyboards
- 1. Sultans of Swing by Dire Straits
great guitar riffs Mark Knoppfler kicks ass :-)
oh my, great songs... music is not the same, it's making me look back to the good old 80's stuff
By: Ry Bread
- 10. Video Killed The Radio Star by The Buggles
I have NEVER seen this song on any 80's compilation cd or anything. People might think I'm nuts for having this song as my number 10, but it's not that bad of a song. It deserves more respect than it gets. IT started off the 80's and Mtv for cryin' out loud (the main reason it's number 10)!
- 9. Rio and Hungry Like The Wolf by Duran Duran
I used to hate these guys. I don't know why. Probably because at first, everyone thinks that their songs suck. But give them a chance. Listen to these two songs. Very good.
- 8. It Takes Two/Shout by Rob Base & DJ EZ Rock/Tears For Fears
I needed to incorporate some hip hop in this list. Really cool rap song. Lil' Romeo sampled some of this song in one of his songs, "Two Way". He must know his 80's.:) / This Song is a good emotional releasing mechanism. I had to work it in somewhere on the countdown. Although, you can't really compare it to "It Takes Two". Oh well... still, it's awesome
- 7. I Just (Died In Your Arms Tonight)/Your Love by The Cutting Crew/The Outfield
One of the ultimate love songs ever. It can express any young man's thoughts. However, it doesn't give much of an image in your head (Dying in the girl's arms will not do you any good). / This song is like an awesome song. No words to describe it. No one can resist getting into it.
- 6. Relax/Sunglasses At Night by Frankie Goes To Hollywood/Corey Hart
If you've been workin' all day and all you want to do is come home and give up for the day, then listen to "Relax". The title might be a little misleading, but it's a great tip for overstressed people. :) / This song is so awesome when you have surround sound.
- 5. Here I Go Again by Whitesnake
This is the only 80's rock song on my top 10 list. Don't get me wrong, there are MANY awesome 80's rock songs "Livin' On A Prayer" by Bon Jovi, for example. However, this has to be one of the ultimate rock songs ever (not just in the 80's). It was even featured on VH-1's "I Love The 80's: Strikes Back". It was described as being "epic" and that word totally sums up the whole song.
- 4. I Ran by A Flock of Seaguls
Great Great song (Especially for running). The radio version has a longer "space-aged" sound at the beginning.
- 3. Whip It by Devo
One of the first hits of the decade. Did anybody know that one of the band members (Mark Mothersbaugh) now plays music for "Rugrats" on Nickelodeon?
- 2. Come On Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners
This song is a close second. It's one of those songs like "Bohemian Rhapsody" that fools you into thinking it's a slow droopy song and then starts rockin' out! Plus, no one can resist the catchy tune.
- 1. Take On Me by A-Ha
This song was a hit in the heart of the 80's, and gives us the ultimate imagery of that time. I have not met one person yet who disagrees with me.
This was a hard list to choose. As some might see, i cheated a bit by putting two songs in a spot. So what! They deserve to be on this list. These aren't the only good songs from the 80's... there are many others. These were just the reallly awesome ones that made the cut. Oh and by the way. I was born in 1988! ha!
- 10. Together In Electric Dreams by Giorgio Moroder
Man, this is soooo 80's...haha yeah I'm singing now. Hehee
- 9. Footlose by Kenny Loggins
- 8. Crazy For You by Madonna
I like the song along with Borderline and Angel
- 7. Ghost in you by Psychedelic furs
Radio station keeps playing the song
- 6. Holding Back The Years by Simply Red
I'm a fan of the band and their songs *SINGS* If you don't know me by now....
- 5. Everybody Want's To Rule The World by Tears For Fears
They rule the airwaves back then along with Duran Duran and Spandau Ballet.. It was such a "Mad World"
- 4. Karma Chameleon by Culture Club
My Golly Gee it's Boy George! Hahaha....Karma karma karma karma karma chameleon. You come and go, you come and go You come and go, you come and go
- 3. Money for nothing(chicks for free) by Dire Straits
They always show the video. Hey, I want my MTV...hehe
- 2. We Didn't Start The Fire by Billi Joel
I'm singing it in my head actually! Hahaha
- 1. Every Breathe You Take by Police
Hey it's Sting!
So many 80's songs I like:The End of the Innocence=Don Henley
- 10. Our Lips Are Sealed by The Go-Go's
- 9. Glory of Love by Peter Cetera
a great song from a good movie
- 8. Addicted to Love by Robert Palmer
- 7. What I Like About You by The Romantics
i cant stand the new version of this song--sorry Lillix :(
- 6. Come On Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners
this song is stuck in my head along with #5
- 5. One Thing Leads to Another by The Fixx
- 4. Take On Me by A-ha
- 3. In A Big Country by A Big Country
- 2. Your Love by The Outfield
- 1. Don't Mean Nothin by Richard Marx
once a fan, always a fan! :P
Can't forget--Sunglasses at Night, Walk Like an Eygptian, and all the other ones I could name, but I would takeup too much space!!
- 10. Slogan by SPK
Technically a 70s release (79?) I think, but very much in the spirit of 80s industrial/punk, almost totally forgotten, but very cool.
- 9. In Between Days by The Cure
Impossible to pick just one Cure song, but this is my favorite.
- 8. Don't Change by INXS
Best INXS song ever.
- 7. Tainted Love by Soft Cell
- 6. My Heart Goes Bang by Dead or Alive
Much better than the "Round and Round" song.
- 5. A Little Respect by Erasure
Loved it as a kid, had no idea what campy gay Brit pop was, but loved it.
- 4. Just Can't Get Enough by Depeche Mode
One of the catchiest songs of its time.
- 3. Space-Age Love Song by Flock of Seagulls
- 2. Suffer Little Children by The Smiths
One of the most haunting pop songs ever recorded.
- 1. Take on Me by A-Ha
Ultimate 80s song. Girly lead singer and dance beats.
- 10. Skid Row by Youth Gone Wild
- 9. Metallica by One
- 8. Slaughter by Fly to the Angels
- 7. Bon Jovi by Livin' on a Prayer
- 6. 18 and Life by Skid Row
- 5. Welcome to the Jungle by Guns N' Roses
- 4. Warrant by Cherry Pie
- 3. Def Leppard by Love Bites
- 2. Master of Puppets by Metallica
- 1. Sweet Child Of Mine by Guns N' Roses
By: Ashley B
- 10. No One is to Blame by Howard Jones
Takes me back to the summer of 1985?? I think. Just a kid.
- 9. Girls on Film by Duran Duran
Another Duran Duran song - so they were my favorite 80's group.
- 8. True Faith by New Order
If you asked me fifteen years ago, wouldn't have mentioned it as a favorite but it still sounds just as good as ever.
- 7. Under the Milky Way by The Church
I think this one came out before the '90's if I'm not mistaken.
- 6. Strangelove by Depeche Mode
Still sounds good.
- 5. Don't You Forget About Me by Simple Minds
Still good to listen to.
- 4. New Year's Day by U2
Song that has stood the test of time.
- 3. Union of the Snake by Duran Duran
Another Duran Duran song I like a whole lot.
- 2. Rio by Duran Duran
Great video of course. Great song. Very catchy; defined the 80s.
- 1. I Didn't Mean to Turn You On by Robert Palmer
Very catchy song even though many people may think of Simply Irresistable and Addicted to Love when Robert Palmer is mentioned. This song is a favorite of the '80s.
Honorable mention: Too Late Marlene by Duran Duran (never released I don't think but favorite song on the album with All She Wants Is and I Don't Want Your Love) Crazy by Icehouse Circle in the Sand by Belinda Carlisle Africa/Rosanna by Toto - real early 80s but had to mention, sounds a little outdated now though
if anyone is lookin for cheesy songs pick my list cuz its right up there! espically the last one ;-)!
By: Carol D.
Other songs I liked but can't remember the artist's are Monie, Monie, Burning Down The House, Old Time Rock and Roll and Rock Me Amedaus.
By: Pierre-Luc Gagné
- 10. Still Loving You by The Scorpions
- 9. La Isla Bonita by Madonna
How come an 80's top ten be made without her?
- 8. Mr. Roboto by Styx
Styx has done a lot of good songs, but I think it's their very best.
- 7. Faith by George Micheals
Great song. Nuff' said.
- 6. Oh Yeah by Yello
What is the matter with this song? I don't know but it's damn good.
- 5. Video Killed The Radio Star by The Buggles
Just the message in the lyrics was enough for me give it number 5 (it really announced things to come), but there is more, the music is good too!
- 4. Got My Mind Set On You by George Harrison
Style of The Beatles + sound of The Beatles + an 80's touch = Near perfection song.
- 3. Take On Me by A-ha
Excellent song. And what a great videoclip .I just dig it!
- 2. Eye Of The Tiger by Survivor
Must be the strength in this song. Excellent Rocky movie too (God bless Mister T!)
- 1. Thriller by Michael Jackson
Trademark song of the 80's by a freak (or is he?)
Let me end with this : I was raised in the 90's (born in '86) but I had the guts to turn around this freaky new millenium music and I discovered the era to rule them all, the Eighties. And I am not alone to have done it and that is what is truly great. Again, nuff' said (Stan would probably kill me).
- 10. Like A Prayer by Madonna
- 9. Boys of Summer by Don Henly
- 8. Pride (In the Name of Love) by U2
- 7. Fade To Black by Metallica
- 6. Dont Dream Its Over by Crowded House
- 5. Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen
- 4. With Or Without You by U2
- 3. Red Hill Mining Town by U2
Very rare performed by U2 and one of their less known songs by mainstream but with a high note chorus that Bono even finds hard to hit. Joshua Tree.
- 2. Billie Jean by Michael Jackson
Not my favourite artist at all but this song deserves recognition.
- 1. Where The Streets Have No Name by U2
Performed live with all your lights out to watch it. It makes the hairs stand on the back of your neck. Best Song Ever.
Many U2 songs are in here because they were the band that ruled this era full of synthesisers. They brought music back to it's true form especially after 'The Unforgettable Fire'. Other names were Queen, Metallica, Madonna blah.
By: ryan proffitt
- 10. Another One Bites The Dust by Queen
even though there more known for we are the champions and we will rock you this is my favorite from queen
- 9. Every Rose Has Its Thorn by Poison
hard to believe a hard rock band like poison could sing such a beatiful song
- 8. I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight by Cutting Crew
this song too was a one hit wonder
- 7. Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Leppard
this song and love bites are my only songs from def leppard i like
- 6. Welcome To The Jungle by Guns N Roses
the old guns n roses were a great band
- 5. Cars by Gary Numan
a very catchy tune
- 4. Nothin But A Good Time by Poison
one of the greatest rock songs of all time.
- 3. I Wanna Know What Love Is by Foreigner
just a good and excellent lyrics. If you like foreigner than Foreigner: Complete Greatest Hits is a must
- 2. I Ran by Flock Of Seagulls
this one hit wonder had a great guitar solo with a good beat
- 1. Every Breathe You Take by Police
stings greatest hit. he was going through a divorce and wrote this song to his what is now ex-wife
my favorite bands: foreigner, hall & oates, toto, queen, and REO Speedwagon
By: Sharan Woodfork
I'm also a big Hall & Oates fan so all of their songs!
By: dom pugliese
- 10. Here I Go Again by Whitesnake
" i don't know where i'm going, but i sure know where ive been"
- 9. Whole Lotta Love by Led Zeppelin
"shake for me girl, i wanna be your backdoorman" oooohhh yeahhh
- 8. Back In Black by AC/DC
"Have to be the best band to come out of AussieLand" Long live BON SCOTT
- 7. We're Not Gonna Take It by Twisted Sister
" we're right/yeah, we're free/yeah, we'll fight/yeah, you'll see/yeah"
- 6. Wind Of Change by Scorpions
" take me to the magic of the moment on a glory night"
- 5. Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Leppard
" i'm hot, sticky sweet, from my head to my feet yeh "
- 4. Kickstart My Heart by Motley Crue
" and i guess we're still kickin ass "
- 3. Livin On A Prayer by Bon Jovi
"take my hand, we'll make it i swear"
- 2. Paradise City by Guns n' Roses
"ahh green grass, pretty girls, what else could you possibly want" good looks- perhaps?
- 1. Every Rose Has It's Thorn by Poison
"Especially the Rose I married, oh boy oh boy, let me tell ya did she have some thorns......or was i just a big prick"
Can you guess what sort of bands i liked listening to in the eighties...these songs and many more,from the gunners right thru to zeppelin, songs that will remain classics forever, for me anyway" Aussie Aussie Aussie........oui oui oui.
- 10. Right Here Waiting For You by Richard Marx
Its one of those songs that makes you want to cry with him and slit your wrists
- 9. Jessie's Girl by Rick Springfield
I think we can all somehow relate to this in one freaky way or another
- 8. Boy's Dont Cry by The Cure
Just the fact that its The Cure says so much
- 7. I Want To Know What Love Is by Foreigner
This is the song that you never admitted you liked but when u were alone in your car and it came on, you'd blast it up all the way and sang along to every word
- 6. More Than a Feeling by Boston
Okay ill admit im not sure if its 80s or 70s but its still an awesome awesome song!!
- 5. Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd
Has got to be one of my favorite songs of all time, and it brings back soo many memories
- 4. Tiny Dancer by Elton John
Most people know it as Blue Jean Baby, but either way its still rocking!!
- 3. Oh Sheri by Steve Perry
Just all around sweet
- 2. Dancing With Myself by Billy Idol
This song just makes you want to dance around in your underwear!!
- 1. Free Fallin' by Tom Petty
Just listen to it, what's not to love?
I must also add that Cher's If I could Turn Back Time deserves a spot I just didnt know which one of the above to replace it with
By: Patrick Rutledge
- 10. Thunderstruck by AC/DC
- 9. Cap In Hand by Proclaimers
- 8. For Whom The Bell Tolls by Metallica
- 7. Pride (In the name of love) by U2
- 6. My Baby by Cold Chisel
- 5. Hells Bells by AC/DC
- 4. Run to Paradise by The Choirboys
- 3. Your The Voice by Johnny Farnham
- 2. Working Class Man by Jimmy Barnes
- 1. Khe Sanh by Cold Chisel
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.