In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
- 10. Harvest For The World by The Christians
Again, feel good song from the latter half of the 80`s....
- 9. La Isla Bonita by Madonna
Wednesday Nights at the Ice Rink!
- 8. Don`t Go by Hothouse Flowers
Great up beat song!
- 7. Sign Your Name by Terence Trent D`Arby
Reminds me ofdays at the Roller Disco!!!!
- 6. She Makes My Day by Robert palmer
Hauntingly Seductive Record
- 5. Echo Beach by Martha and the Mufins
Office Clerks - very boring job!
- 4. I Don`t want to talk about it by Everything but the girl
Blinding Tune :)
- 3. Somewhre In my Heart by Aztec Camera
Time In Life nmade song seem great!
- 2. Circle In The Sand by Belinda Carlisle
Gorgeous,real woman - great 80`s pop!
- 1. Fast Car by Tracy Chapman
Now that girl could sing!! Keeping music as it should be...
By: Juan Carlos de la Once
- 10. Well, I Wonder by Smiths
Genuine self-deprecation and poignant lyrics.
- 9. Vanishing Point by New Order
I know it seems lame to put two songs from the same band on a list like this, but New Order is flat-out the best 80s band, and this song is incredible.
- 8. West End Girls [Original Bobcat Version] by Pet Shop Boys
The extra lyrics in this version push it over the top.
- 7. This is the Day by The The
Perfectly New Wave.
- 6. Never Let Me Down Again by Depeche Mode
First song I heard on the stereo in my own car.
- 5. A View to a Kill by Duran Duran
Duran Duran and James Bond--the perfect combination.
- 4. Say Hello, Wave Goodbye by Soft Cell
Finest example of a synth-pop track.
- 3. Pale Shelter by Tears for Fears
First song I learned on the guitar.
- 2. Stand or Fall by The Fixx
Ordinarily wouldn't make it, but I just saw them in concert, and this one was a blast. They've still got it.
- 1. Thieves Like Us by New Order
The most beautiful song ever composed.
other songs like Wierd Science Every Little Thing She Does is Magic Run So Far Away Anyway You Want It and Oh Sherrie are all good but did not make the cut
- 10. The Way To Your Heart by Soulsister
- 9. König Von Deutschland by Rio Reiser
- 8. Ordinary World by Duran Duran
- 7. True Faith by New Order
- 6. Safety Dance by Men Without Heads
- 5. Africa by Toto
- 4. Eloise by The Damned
- 3. Heaven Is A Place On Earth by Belinda Carlisle
- 2. Love Is A Battlefield by Pat Benatar
- 1. Boys Of Summer by Don Henley
visit my homepage (we're a punkrock-band): http://www.kdm-online.de.vu
By: Gorgan Evenesavich
- 10. Cherry Pie by Warrant
Come on this song was an eighties anthem
- 9. Seventeen by Winger
I debated putting this song on, but really, who could go to a party in the 80s with out hearing this song
- 8. I Remember You by Skid Row
Sabastian Bach, what i genious i cant believe hes on broadway now
- 7. Every Rose Has its Thorn by Poison
The biggest song by the biggest band of the biggest music style era of the time Glamour Rock
- 6. Girls Girls Girls by Motley Crue
Its motley crue that says enough
- 5. You Give Love A Bad Name by Bon Jovi
Its bon jovi he defined hair metal and this song defined him
- 4. Were Not Gonna Take It by Twisted Sister
Look up teen anthem in the dictionary, this song will be listed
- 3. Poison by Alice Cooper
such a wierd song, such a crazy guy, gotta love it
- 2. Jump by Van Halen
Honestly how can the rest of you guys really leave van halen off the list, hey had a little album in 1984 that went oh i dont know 10 times platnum
- 1. Welcome to the Jungle by Guns N Roses
Hey this song is still every teenage boys favorite song today, all you guns n roses lovers need to check out Velvot Revolver is all of GNR minus Axl replaced with Scott Weiland
- 10. The Living Years by Mike And The Mechanics
- 9. Sunday Bloody Sunday by U2
- 8. Tweeter And The Monkeyman by Travelling Wilburys
- 7. (Glad I'm) Not A Kennedy by Shona Laing
- 6. One Night In Bangkok by Murray Head
- 5. Boy In The Bubble by Paul Simon
- 4. Twist In My Sobriety by Tanita Tikarem
- 3. I Remember California by R.E.M.
- 2. Need You Tonight/Mediate by INXS
- 1. Head Like A Hole by Nine Inch Nails
By: Filipe Passos
- 10. Self Control by Laura Branigan
Another singular song
- 9. Up Where We Belong by Joe Cocker and Jennifer Warnes
Great movie theme
- 8. What´s Love Go To Do It by Tina Turner
Great woman and a unique song
- 7. I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight by Chigago
- 6. You´re The Voice by John Farnham
- 5. What You´re Proposin by Status Quo
Legend of rock music
- 4. How Am I Supposed to Live Whithout You by Michael Bolton
I cry whe i hear this song
- 3. One Day In Your Life by Michael Jackson
Love song, very beutifull
- 2. Take On Me by A-Ha
One of the greatest of 80´s
- 1. Words Don´t Come Easy by F.R. Davis
Great song, no more comments
I forgot very songs, but this are the best i remember. The 80´s are the best
By: J. Tele
- 10. All She Wants to Do is Dance by Don Henley
There was this blonde girl I knew in 1985, and all she wanted to do was ...
- 9. Pyromania by Def Leppard
Gunther glieben glauten globen!
- 8. Like A Virgin by Madonna
Ok, every teenage guy's fantasy. A tarty 25-year-old chica cooing about "how it feels sooooo goooooood inside..."
- 7. Addicted to Love by Robert Palmer
Raunchy stuff with those stone-faced girls in the video. Too bad he's gone, ol' Robert ...
- 6. Bang a Gong (Get It On) by The Power Station
Pretty gritty revamp of the T. Rex 70s hit. Wild guitar and bass playing and really heavy drums and vox!
- 5. She Sells Sanctuary by The Cult
As sure as hell you'll find!
- 4. Don't You Forget About Me by Simple Minds
Very cool, classy, simple groove ... could be released today (minus the synths)!
- 3. Rock and Roll Girls by John Fogerty
Heyyyyyy, let's go all over the world!
- 2. Legs by ZZ Top
Cuz she knows how to use them.
- 1. Money for Nothing by Dire Straits
Can't believe this wasn't named here. This song is a putdown of all that 80s-style, coked-up, prissy corporate-pop greed ...
"Diamond Mine" by Canada's Blue Rodeo! A spooky summer of '89 track to which I drank many a, uh, drink ...
I know they're all singles, but despite the fact, I think they're rad.
- 10. Starting At The Sun by U2
- 9. Light My Fire by The Doors
- 8. Angie by Rolling Stones
- 7. Entre Dos Tierras by Heroes del Silencio
I´m from Spain
- 6. Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd
- 5. Nothingman by Pearl Jam
- 4. There Must Be An Angel by Eurythmics
- 3. More Than Words by Extreme
Good verse, one voice, one chorus voice and one guitar
- 2. Since I've Been Loving You by Led Zeppelin
- 1. Sultans Of Swim by Dire Straits
A good class about how to play a guitar
I only was 9 years in the 80's but this songs don´t forget them ever.
- 10. Fall on Me by REM
LOve this song. Defines the poppy 80's to me.
- 9. It's My Life by Talk Talk
A classic. Nuff' said.
- 8. Celebrate Me Home by Kenny Loggins
Late 70's, but close enough.
- 7. Your Love by Outfield
Can't go wrong w/ a classic.
- 6. See You by Depeche Mood
Early works of DM.. love how it's rather harmonic as opposed to melodic.
- 5. Go All The Way by Raspberries
Love this damn song. So happy, perfect for summer night driving.. or to fall in love by.
- 4. Girlfriend In A Coma by Smiths
Soo damn good.. didn't get nearly as much recognition as it deserved.
- 3. Look of Love by ABC
So cheesy, but you just *have* to like it.
- 2. Midnight Blue by ELO
So pretty, so deep.. yet sensitive.
- 1. Your Wildest Dreams by Moody Blues
I have tooo many choices I'd like to place here, so hopefully these will do.
- 10. Luka by Suzanne Vega
great song with a serious subject
- 9. Wrapped Around Your Finger by The Police
better than every breath you take even
- 8. Bette Davis Eyes by Kim Carnes
this song rocked the nation in the summer of 81
- 7. Foolin by Def Leppard
the best of a ton of great songs by this band in the 80s
- 6. Live To Tell by Madonna
theme song from sean penn movie "At close range".....the best theme song of the decade.......Crazy for you also another one of her great hits
- 5. Sex As A Weapon by Pat Benetar
invincible is also right up there, but i figured one song per artist
- 4. Do You Really Want To Hurt Me by Culture Club
- 3. Back On The Chain Gang by The Pretenders
- 2. Whats Love Got To Do With It by Tina Turner
this song marked the return of this great singer and the start of many more huge hits the next 2 years
- 1. Voices Carry by Til Tuesday
Awesome song from the very middle of the decade.
could probably do about 10 more of these lists, 80s music will always be the greatest of any decade past present or future!
By: Simon Spiers
- 10. Chance by Big Country
A truely original band.
- 9. Safty Dance by Men Without Hats
Because it did'nt make sense?
- 8. Everything Counts by Depeche Mode
Confidence taken in,by a suntan,and a grin!
- 7. The Boxer by Simon & Garfunkel
- 6. Back Of My Hand by The Jaggs
I'm not a (what)machine? do they realy say what i think they say?
- 5. Goodbye Stranger by Supertramp
A song about moving on to better things...
- 4. Wishing (if I Had A Photograph Of You) by A flock of seagulls
same as song 3.
- 3. ELO by The Way Life's Meant To Be
If your an old romantic listen to this.
- 2. Life In A Northen Own by Dream Academy
So typical of a british summer!
- 1. Homosapian by Pete Shelley
A song that scream's !1980 all the way through.The 12 inch elongated version is far better,trush me.
There are many more but i had too stop at ten.
By: Todd Phlanders
- 10. Mother Never Said Goodbye by Quarterflash
A great song featuring Don Henley singing the chorus. Brings me to tears even listening to it today.
- 9. Going To Arizona by Echo and the Bunnymen
A good road trip song. I believe this song is about suicide.
- 8. We Are Free To Dance by Soft Cell
'Oops, Around and round, Free to dance, We are free to dance'. Great lyrics and upbeat tempo. Classic eighties.
- 7. Forget Kelly (The Silent Song) by Falco
There is nothing like a good drum solo. Easily, one of the best!
- 6. Coconuts And Stop Signs by New Order
I had my first slow dance to this song in 1984. Oh, the memories.
- 5. Don't Tickle Me by Blondie
Debbie Harry is sooooo cool. This is a classic.
- 4. Jason (In London) by Pat Benatar
I love Pat!
- 3. Turn The Tables by Men At Work
The chorus always made me laugh: 'Turn the tables Pedro, Turn 'em til they face Mexico'.
- 2. Escape by The Bangles
Enrique Iglesias covered this song in 2002 but The Bangles sang it with real passion in 1987.
- 1. This Is The Time To Be In Love by Thompson Twins
Obscure b-side to "Lay Your Hands On Me' but brilliant regardless. My all time favourite 80s song.
- 10. Love My Way by Psychedelic Furs
Great Dancing Song
- 9. Personality Crisis by New York Dolls
Influenced one of the greatest band...Sex Pistols.. If you like the sex pistols listen to them
- 8. Do You Really Want To Hurt Me by Culture Club
Boy George is wonderful... artistic
- 7. Call Me by Blondie
I love her voice
- 6. A Letter To Elise by The Cure
EVERY SONG FROM THE CURE ARE JUST AWESOME
- 5. Surrender by Cheap Trick
.. lovve it
- 4. Message In A Bottle by The Police
What Can I say?
- 3. If You Leave by OMD
- 2. Bizarre Love Song by New Order
YOU CAN DANCE TO THIS!
- 1. See You by Depeche Mode
Im 14 years old... and I LOVE THE 80's
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.