In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
By: Kyle B.
- 10. Down The Well by The Pixies
Anybody wanna know where Kurt Cobain pulled quiet to soft dynamics from? Listen.
- 9. I Am The Resurrection by Stone Roses
The drams are so characteristically Manchester, I totally dig this tune. The outro jam is excellent and represents something lacked by many 80's bands, musical cohesiveness.
- 8. Blue Monday by New Order
One of the best selling singles of all time. Excellent lyrics and a brilliant representation of the Manchester musical movement.
- 7. Every Breath You Take by The Police
Sting. Andy Summers. Stuart Copeland. Things werent quite the same when the Police disbanded.
- 6. Jane Says by Jane's Addiction
A brilliant song from a revolutionary band. As you listen you can hear Perry Farrel slowly sliding the knife of artistic expression through the heart of hair metal mediocrity.
- 5. Welcome To The Jungle by Guns 'n' Roses
Axl and the Gunners successfully fortold the demise of bands like Poison and Warrant with Appetite, and no album has had a more approrpiately titled opening track.
- 4. London Calling by The Clash
One of my favourite all time tracks. Joe strummers vocals convey nothin less than complete urgency and the songs main riff is simply excellent.
- 3. Purple Rain by Prince and the Revolution
This track acts as a beautiful and poignant end to the brilliant album of the same name. My musical interest towards Prince began here.
- 2. Sunday Bloody Sunday by U2
Although Bono claims at the beginning of the live version that "this is not a rebel song" it is most certainly cut from the same cloth as one.
- 1. How Soon Is Now? by The Smiths
The tremeloed guitar riff is classic, nothing short of a gem. This song almost single handedly saved guitar based brit-rock.
- 10. Wouldn't It Be Good? by Nik Kershaw
The chorus - wowwwwwww
- 9. Save A Prayer by Duran Duran
The greatest band of the eighties
- 8. Can't Stand Losing You by The Police
'I see you sent my letters back....'
- 7. Everybody Wants To Rule The World by Tears For Fears
Great to chill out to
- 6. Every Breath You Take by The Police
Arguably their most popular song, but not their greatest.....
- 5. Planet Earth by Duran Duran
'You're looking at planet Earth....'
- 4. Walking On The Moon by The Police
The bass line - YESSS!!!
- 3. Rio by Duran Duran
The most recognisable song of all time?
- 2. Message In A Bottle by The Police
- 1. Tainted Love by Soft Cell
It was either this or Rio.....I dunno what persuaded me!
TO ALL VISITORS OF THIS SITE - YOU HAVE A DECENT TASTE IN MUSIC!!!
- 10. Difacil Rap by Bravo And The Dj's
This is the closing of the 80's and the opening of the 90's.
- 9. Square Rooms by Al Corley
Another song with a true 80's sound.
- 8. Flashdance...What A Feeling by Irene Cara
This is the soundtrack from "Flashdance" the best musical movie of the 80's.
- 7. Video Killed The Radio Star by The Buggles
The first video of MTV
- 6. Love Is A Shield by Camouflage
you can remember all the 80's with this song only.
- 5. Breakthru by Queen
The best band of the history of rock with an 80's anthem
- 4. Personal Jesus by Depeche Mode
everybody can remember the fast-breathing sound in the middle of the song.
- 3. Sweet Dreams by Eurythmics
Annie lennox is the lady of the 80's music.
- 2. Safety Dance by Men Without Hats
The song to mix after big in japan, if u are DJ will know what i'm talking about.
- 1. Big In Japan by Alphaville
The best, no words.
Those were the songs i remember as the best of 80's here in Argentina.
- 10. Tusk by Fleetwood Mac
I included this one because it's the only Fleetwood Mac song I can tolerate from the 1980's.
- 9. Pulling Mussels (From The Shells) by Squeeze
I don't know why he feels like "William Tell, Maid Marion on her tiptoed feet." If anyone does please let me know.
- 8. I Got You by Split Enz
I just love the little guitar intro to this song, and then the drums kick in...ahhhhhhh.
- 7. Master Blaster (Jammin') by Stevie Wonder
"From the park I hear rhythms, Marley's hot on the box." And that pretty much sums it up.
- 6. Clones (We're All) by Alice Cooper
As far as I'm concerned this is Alice Cooper's best song ever. "I'm a clone, I know it and I'm fine."
- 5. Ah Leah! by Donnie Iris
Donnie was the voice of "The Jaggerz" back in the 1960s and hit number one at that time with "The Rapper". His voice on this song was tracked no less than 60 times.
- 4. Let My Love Open The Door by Pete Townshend
From the album "Empty Glass", Pete certainly showed that he could be a musical force outside of "The Who".
- 3. I Don't Like Mondays by The Boomtown Rats
The best anti-Monday song. Certainly destroys "Monday, Monday" anyway.
- 2. People Who Died by Jim Carroll Band
"Eddie I miss you more than all the others, and I salute you brother."
- 1. Switchin' To Glide/This Beat Goes On by The Kings
From Oakville, Ontario, this is hands-down the greatest song ever released in the 80s.
These are my top ten choices from the year 1980. Stay tuned and I'll do my top ten from 1981-1989.
By: matt stier
- 10. Love Bites by Judas Priest
- 9. Wanted Man by Ratt
- 8. If You Want My Love by Cheap Trick
- 7. Change It by Stevie Ray Vaughn
- 6. Back In Black by AC/DC
- 5. 867-5309/Jenny by Tommy Tutone
- 4. One Last Kiss by J. Geils Band
- 3. Under Pressure by Queen & David Bowie
- 2. Flying High Again by Ozzy Osbourne
- 1. Shout At The Devil by Motley Crue
this song rocks
so many great songs in the 80's to many to mention keep on rocking
Anything by Michael Jackson, Depeche Mode, INXS, The Clash and The Smiths is awesome. Songs are in no order, except for MJ being #1!
Honourable Mentions: Toto - Rains Down In Africa, Adam Ant - Strip, The Cars, Flock of Seagulls
- 10. Take On Me by a-ha
Love the video clip to this song
- 9. What Have I Done To Deserve This? by The Pet Shop Boys & Dusty Springfield
One of the best songs from these guys
- 8. Shout by Tears for fears
- 7. Africa by Toto
This tune makes you want to be in Africa
- 6. Uptown Girl by Billy Joel
This is his best song a shame that there has been so many remakes and none of them are as good as the original
- 5. Hysteria by Def Lepard
Can remeber singing this with my older sister
- 4. Got My Mind Set On You by George Harrison
The only beatles man that I liked.
- 3. One Night In Bangkok by Murray Head
This is one of my favourites
- 2. There Must Be An Angel (Playing With My Heart) by Eurythmics
The best song from The Eurythmics
- 1. A Good Heart by Feargal Sharkey
My all time favourite song from the 80's
Big Ups to the following Artist and songs Hold me now THOMPSON TWINS Live it up MENTAL AS ANYTHING Part-Time Lover STEVIE WONDER We close our eyes GO WEST Heaven is a place on earth BELINDA CARLISLE Love changes CLIMMIE FISHER Move closer PHYLLIS NELSON Never gonna give you up RICK ASTLEY All night long LIONEL RITCHIE You keep me hanging on KIM WILDE Pour some sugar on me DEF LEPARD Every time you go away PAUL YOUNG Send me an angel REAL LIFE Rhythm of the night CHICO DEBARGE Rhythm is gonna get you GLORIA ESTEFAN & MIAMI SOUND MACHINE Respectable MEL & KIM I feel for you CHAKA KHAN Freeway of Love ARETHA FRANKLIN Easy Lover PHIL COLLINS & PHILL BAILEY I want to know what love is FOREIGNER Catch me Iím falling REAL LIFE OR PRETTY POISON Wouldnít it be good NIK KERSHAW Tear drops WOMACK WOMACK Everybody wants to rule the world TEARS FOR FEARS St Elmoís Fire JOHN PARR One more night PHIL COLLINS We are the world (USA FOR AFRICA) QUINCY JONES Take my breath away BERLIN Invisible Touch GENESIS Danger Zone KENNY LOGGINS Land of Confusion GENESIS Walk of Life DIRE STRAITS Nikita ELTON JOHNS All cried out ALISON MOYET I knew you were waiting (for me) ARETHA FRANKLIN & GEORGE MICHAEL I think were alone now TIFFANY Is this Love WHITESNAKE Seasons change EXPOSE Hungry Eyes ERIC CARMEN Eternal Flame BANGLES Toy Soldiers MARTIKA Girl you know its true MILLI VANILLI Straight Up PAULA ABDUL The Look ROXETTE Sowing the seeds of love TEARS FOR FEARS Put a little love in your heart ANIE LENNOX & AL GREEN Donít you (forget about me) SIMPLE MINDS Carribean Queen BILLY OCEAN Talk to me STEVIE NICKS Glad Iím not a Kennedy SHONA LANG Soul Kinda Feeling HYPNOTIKS Could it be Iím falling in love SPINNERS Dreaming of you SELENA If you leave ORCHESTRAL MANOEUVRES IN THE DARK Right Here Waiting RICHARD MARX Time after Time CYNDI LAUPER Iím your man GEORGE MICHAELS Donít walk away TONI CHILDS Walk and Talk Like Angels TONI CHILDS Electric Blue ICEHOUSE
Mr. Roboto is also a wonderful song.
By: Inna .f.
- 10. Look What The Cat Dragged In by Poison
I steel wonder what the cat dragged in!
- 9. 18 And Life by Skid Row
What can I say more...it's a wonderful song!
- 8. Girls,Girls,Girls by Motley Crue
All I want to say is:Boys,boys,boys.....great song and funny video clip!
- 7. Home Sweet Home by Motley Crue
- 6. We're Not Gonna Take It by Twisted Sister
NO we ain't gonna take it...
- 5. Is This Love? by Whitesnake
- 4. Here I Go Again by Whitesnake
- 3. Welcome To The Jungle by Guns 'n' Roses
- 2. Pour Some Sugar On Me/Bringin' On The Heartbreak by Def Leppard
Tow songs that rock and make you feel good...if you know what I mean?!
- 1. Too Late For Love by Def Leppard
This song is the best song ever!!!
By: JAIME BRACAMONTE ALVAREZ
The order of the songs is just chronologyc, all them have the same level of quality and prefference
- 10. Somebody's Watching Me by Rockwell Feat. Michael Jackson
Quality song that everyone has forgotten!!
- 9. Boys Of Summer by Don Henley
- 8. Moonlight Shadow by Maggie Reilly And Mike Oldfield
Dave angel - Eco warrior.. lol
- 7. Sit And Wait by Sidney Youngblood
All we can do is just sit and wait..
- 6. I've Been Thinking About You by Londonbeat
ive been thinking about you!! Cha-pow-pow
- 5. It's My Life by Talk Talk
- 4. Come Back And Stay by Paul Young
- 3. Something About You by Level 42
Whos watching me now? the irs?
- 2. Seven Wonders by Fleetwood Mac
- 1. Steppin' Out by Joe Jackson
By: scott the musician
- 10. House Of Fun by Madness
with so many hits, you have to give them some credit
- 9. Sultans Of Swing by Dire Straits
at +5mins long, it's great value for money on a jukebox
- 8. Dreams Of Ordinary Men by Dragon
What a winner of a song.
- 7. The Love Cats by The Cure
- 6. Moscow by Dschinghis Kahn
lest we forget
- 5. Ghostbusters by Ray Parker Jr.
Well the 80s was just a keyboards revelation, wasn't it? Ray Parker Jr. got everyone dancing with this one
- 4. Don't Worry, Be Happy by Bobby McFerrin
like all his music, it's a riot
- 3. Kids In America by Kim Wilde
20 years on this song stands the test of time. An undeniable youth anthem.
- 2. Slice Of Heaven by Dave Dobbyn
We all know it, the sort of song that makes a whole room dance. It's sooo happy!
- 1. Ca Plane Pour Moi by Plastic Bertrand
A perfect definition of early 80s at it's best. You just couldn't do this nowdays. If you don't beleive me, find the film clip.
Gotta Love the 80s! PS - one special mention to "Down Under" by Men at Work, the unofficial anthem of Australia
By: reverend zula
- 10. The Beastie Boys by Fight For Your Right
- 9. Talking Heads by And She Was
- 8. Twisted Sister by I Wanna Rock
- 7. Skid Row by 18 And Life
- 6. Sweet Child O Mine by Guns 'n' Roses
- 5. Last In Line by Dio
- 4. New Year's Day by U2
- 3. Don't You (Forget About Me) by Simple Minds
- 2. Jet City Woman by Queensryche
- 1. Graceland by Paul Simon
- 10. Broken Wings by Mr. Mister
- 9. Carly Simon by All I Want Is You
- 8. Steady by Shules Shear
- 7. Cliff Richard by We Don't Talk Anymore
- 6. Crowded House by Don't Dream It's Over
- 5. Lost And Found by The Kinks
- 4. Feels Like Heaven by Fiction Factory
- 3. If I Ever Fall In Love by Soe
- 2. Howard Jones by What Is Love?
- 1. Feel The Raindrops by The Adventures
I Love The 80's Music
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.