In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
I like Guns'n Roses alot.
- 10. She Bop by Cyndi Lauper
The song is great, Cyndi Lauper is great. She's about the only female singer I like...
- 9. Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Leppard
my personal favorite Def Leppard song...it's an awesome song.
- 8. Livin' On A Prayer by Bon Jovi
What's an 80's countdown without Bon Jovi? They're awesome, and Jon is my love...
- 7. Nobody's Fool by Cinderella
No matter what anybody says, Tom Kiefer has a fantastic voice! I love it. The song is great, it makes me wanna hit something really hard.
- 6. Welcome To The Jungle by Guns 'n' Roses
It's a quiet lovely song...
- 5. White Wedding by Billy Idol
I love Billy Idol, he's amazing. The song is awesome, I can't get it out of my head.
- 4. Look What The Cat Dragged In by Poison
Well, for one thing, Poison is a great band. This is a really good song for hookers. I love it!
- 3. I Remember You by Skid Row
This is my favorite Skid Row song. Sebastian has one of the greatest voices. The song really touches me.
- 2. Girls, Girls, Girls by Motley Crue
This is one of the greatest songs ever according to me. The video is great too. Nikki did a good thing when he wrote this song...that sexy beast he is..*drools*
- 1. Too Fast For Love by Motley Crue
two Crue songs in a row, who knew? This is my all time favorite song in. It's great!
What can I say, I'm into hair bands. Cyndi is the only one that's not in a hair band. I do have a weakness for guys with big hair and lipstick...but they had killer music. 80's hair bands through and through...
- 10. Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns 'n' Roses
My fave all time.. but there's sooo many others!
- 9. Open Arms by Journey
Makes you wanna cry
- 8. Any Way You Want It by Journey
Wow - what a great tune.
- 7. Kyrie by Mr. Mister
This song has an awesome.. feeling to it!
- 6. I Wish I Had A Girl Who Walked Like That by Henry Lee Summer
One of my all-time faves!
- 5. Summertime Girls by Y&T
Just a good song!
- 4. The Breakup Song by The Greg Kihn Band
They just don't write 'em like that anymore!!
- 3. Oh Sherrie by Steve Perry
- 2. Africa by Toto
My Fave All Time
- 1. Do You Believe In Love? by Huey Lewis And The News
This song is great. A Great 80's tune
Songs from the 80s are just...the best! There is NO other way to describe them! They are fun to jam to, and 100x better than ANY rap song you could find!
By: Bill Graper
- 10. When The Children Cry by White Lion
Hard rockers doing ballads- what a great concept!
- 9. Right Here Waiting by Richard Marx
He's always had the knack for ballads.
- 8. I Want To Know What Love Is by Foreigner
In the 80's, we found out these guys have a soft side. I'm a fan of both styles, but the ballad side to them was a refreshing change.
- 7. You Give Love A Bad Name by Bon Jovi
What else can I say? This song ROCKED!!!
- 6. The Sweetest Thing (I've Ever Known) by Juice Newton
Country crossover hits are almost always great tunes!
- 5. The Flame by Cheap Trick
They came back BIG in 1988 with their only #1 single.
- 4. I Want You So Bad by Heart
The overlooked single from their "Bad Animals" CD.
- 3. Keep On Loving You by REO Speedwagon
This song was significant, as it is considered the very first "hard rock ballad".
- 2. Amanda by Boston
Their best tune! It even went to #1 in the USA.
- 1. Into The Night by Benny Mardones
Such a great song, it was actually a top 20 hit twice in the 80's!
- 10. Jack And Diane by John Cougar Mellencamp
See above baseball descriptions...
- 9. Video Killed The Radio Star by The Buggles
First video on MTV has to make the list.
- 8. Jump by Van Halen
Might as well...
- 7. You Give Love A Bad Name by Bon Jovi
Awesome song to crank up and sing with.
- 6. Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns 'n' Roses
Wasn't sure if this was an 80's song or not, or else it would be much higher on the list, probably #2 or 3.
- 5. Glory Days by Bruce Springsteen
Another great baseball song... (see the trend here?)
- 4. Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Leppard
Fantastic song to go crusing to!
- 3. Boys Of Summer by Don Henley
Just puts me in the mood for summer, and baseball!
- 2. Welcome To The Jungle by Guns 'n' Roses
Great sports song.
- 1. Livin' On A Prayer by Bon Jovi
The greatest song from my favorite band of all time.
Obviously I'm a huge Bon Jovi fan, and loved listening to 80s music!
By: Alice Mackie
I could do a top 100 and still have others I'd forgot. There is just too many to mention from the 80's and I don't even remember them all!!!
By: Electric Barberella
- 10. Cold Hearted by Paula Abdul
Love this, especially the rap bit. And the music vid to this was HOT! It's amazing how she still looks amazing
- 9. I Don't Want To Be A Hero by Johnny Hates Jazz
Great melody, with a poignant anti-war message. Listening to it over and over right now :P
- 8. You Spin Me 'round (Like A Record) by Dead Or Alive
The ultimate 80s song! Could dance to it all night. Was so glad it was incorporated into soundtrack of the movie "The Wedding Singer"
- 7. I'm Still Standing by Elton John
Fantastic beats and melody, with a 'I will survive' message. Cool!
- 6. The Reflex by Duran Duran
This band is a fixture on everyone else's list....they were HUGE in the 80s! I love all their songs but I suppose this is my absolute favourite.
- 5. Tainted Love by Soft Cell
This song always cinjures up a scene of men in black suits, complete with shades, canes and top hats. One of my favourite songs to sing to.
- 4. Livin' On A Prayer by Bon Jovi
I was never much of a rock chick, until heard this one!!! It ROCKS! I love "you give love a bad name" too
- 3. License To Kill by Gladys Knight
I love all James Bond theme songs (except "Die another day") and this is in my opinion, a classic. The opulent rifts are suit Bond's air of mystery so wel..
- 2. Big In Japan by Alphaville
You couldn't get through 80s music without giving them a mention! They had some great hits like "Sounds like a melody" and the massive "Forever young."
- 1. Smooth Criminal by Michael Jackson
Da King of Pop! This song is catchy by itself, but when i saw the music vid....i was WOWWED!
Gosh there are so many other great 80s songs out there! i need a top 100 list..haha. Honorary mentions "Waiting for a star to fall"Boy meets girl, "Rock me Amadeus" Falco, "Straight Up" Paula Abdul, "Don't you want me" Human League, "Ain't nobody" Chaka Khan, "Chain Reaction" Diana Ross, "When doves cry" Prince, "Never gonna give you up" Rick Astley, "Only when you leave" Spandau Ballet, "Domino Dancing" Pet Shop Boys, "Fallen" Lauren Wood.....
- 10. Separate Ways by Journey
A great song by one of the best groups ever. Steve Perry is simply an amazing rock voice...
- 9. Never Let Me Down Again by Depeche Mode
Probably the best song from the "modern rock" genre, from a truly exceptional group.
- 8. Working For The Weekend by Loverboy
A true rock song anthem by one of the best group of the late 70's and early 80s...
- 7. Save A Prayer by Duran Duran
A great ballad from a group often looked down upon for their "style", although they produced some great songs...
- 6. Someone, Somewhere, In Summertime by Simple Minds
Another early 80s gem often overlooked by a great group... The sound is unmistakeable...
- 5. Learning To Fly by Pink Floyd
Yes, an excellent song , especially for all the aviation nuts out there ;), by one of the best groups ever... And the lyrics actually say something, unlike most other songs where music steals the show...
- 4. Skin Deep by The Stranglers
Although many like Always the Sun better, my personal favourite is this one... The MIB do what they know best...
- 3. Heartbeat City by The Cars
Almost dreamlike... Excellent, atmospheric, melodic and beaty...
- 2. Run To You by Bryan Adams
It could easily be number 1 for me , but it came 1 year later... A true rock style song with enough melody to sweep you away...
- 1. Every Breath You Take by The Police
That's what I call a great song!!!
Final Countdown, Eye in the Sky, Africa, Don't Answer Me, Hysteria, Back in Black, Sweet Child 'o Mine, 8675309, Pride, Ride like the wind ( By Saxxon), In your eyes (live at Athens), Safety Dance, Stone Cold, She sells Sanctuary, Moonlight Shadow, Echo Beach, Jump, All Cried Out, Fire and Ice, One Vision, Purple Rain, Sunglasses at Night, Samurai, Ye-Ti, Mad Desire, Catch the Fox, Song for Elise, Bad Boy, I Like Chopin, Stay the Night, Rock You Like a Hurricane, Big in Japan, Maria Magdalena, Caroline, Would 'nt it Be Good, Kids in America, and soooo many others could've made it to the Top 10 list of the 80s...
If I would have included Guns N' Roses in this list there would have been ten Guns N' Roses songs here.
If I would have included Guns N' Roses in this list there would have been ten Guns N' Roses songs here.
By: R Kyriakides
- 10. Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This) by Eurythmics
A Nice moody song, Maralyn Mansons remake is also classic
- 9. Ghostbusters by Ray Parker, Jr.
They Don't make themetunes like they did in the 80s
- 8. Head Over Heels by Tears For Fears
A great synth beat
- 7. Wow by Kate Bush
A Geat power ballard
- 6. Never Ending Story by Limahl
I prefer this to Too Shy
- 5. Take On Me by a-ha
few good songs have just as good videos, but this was definately the best of the 80s
- 4. Don't You (Forget About Me) by Simple Minds
The Perfect themetune to the perfect teen move- the Breakfast Club
- 3. I Ran by A Flock Of Seagulls
a great new wave song
- 2. You Spin Me 'Round (Like A Record) by Dead Or Alive
The Best technopop song of the 80s, no competition!
- 1. Cars by Gary Numan
I know this is 79, but its the best song that speaks the 80s, a perfect new wave song
Blue Monday- New Order Push It- Salt'n'Pepper Funky Town- Boney M Dance Hall Days- Wang Chung Kids In America- Kim Wild
- 10. Kiss by Prince
This song has a really weird, funky tune to it.
- 9. Relax by Frankie Goes To Hollywood
This a cool song to play at a disco / dance. Live those dreams, scheme those schemes, got to hit me, hit me, hit me, hit me, hit me with those laser beams! oh yeah!
- 8. I Want To Know What Love is by Foreigner
This song has made me cry, thinking about crushes I never dated :P The lyrics are about a guy who's looking for love after being lonely for so long
- 7. Roam by The B-52's
Better than Rock Lobster for sure. Great opening to the song too
- 6. Eye Of The Tiger by Survivor
This song is really good when you're in the right mood. Not a song to listen to over and over though
- 5. Whip It by Devo
The only problem with this song is it didnt go for longer. Interesting lyrics
- 4. You Spin Me 'Round (Like A Record) by Dead Or Alive
Another great dance song. 1/3f the song is without lyrics, but is still really good. Theres very few songs I enjoy that dont have lyrics, so this one has done quite well
- 3. Run To You by Bryan Adams
One of only two songs I like of his, this and Summer of '69. Other than that he aint that great
- 2. Take On Me by a-ha
Great song all round, it amazes me how high this guy can get his voice up and hold it there. Nice instrumental solo in the middle too.
- 1. Everybody Wants To Rule The World by Tears For Fears
Tears for Fears is a great band, this is one of their best songs.
- 10. Into The Groove by Madonna
Still the perfect song for getting ready to go out.
- 9. Need You Tonight by INXS
The sexiest piece of music in the '80s.
- 8. Girls Just Want To Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper
I totally wanted to be her.
- 7. Bizarre Love Triangle by New Order
The best thing to ever happen to a dance floor in the '80s.
- 6. Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This) by Eurythmics
So nonsensically important and totally deep... and stuff.
- 5. Wake Me Up Before You Go Go by Wham!
So silly you can't help but love it.
- 4. Hungry Like The Wolf by Duran Duran
Guaranteed to wake me up and get me moving.
- 3. Tainted Love by Soft Cell
The story of his life.
- 2. What Have I Done To Deserve This? by Pet Shop Boys & Dusty Springfield
The story of my life
- 1. Just Can't Get Enough by Depeche Mode
The most infectious tune I've ever heard.
- 10. All Time High by Rita Coolidge
Great song and a must have; no exuses not to get this one---especially if you loved the 80's. This was the theme song for James Bond Octopussy back in 1983. Great love song.
- 9. Turn Back The Clock by Johnny Hates Jazz
Very good song from the 80's. One of those songs that makes me reflect on my life when things, at times, where good. MUST have!
- 8. Strange Magic by Electric Light Orchrestra (ELO)
A mysteriously beautiful song. A must have. Anyone that could "walk" back the 80's will remember this song.
- 7. Baker Street by Gerry Rafferty
A really neat song that's rarely(but sometimes) played anymore. It played every day when I was growing up in the 80's. This is definately a must have if you don't have it already.
- 6. You And I by Crystal Gayle
Sometimes called "Just You and I" Beautiful song with a sad melody to it that kinda brings tears to your eyes if you're already feeling down. A sweet love song from back in the day. A must have for the 80's lovers.
- 5. Do What You Do by Jermaine Jackson
Another song you never hear anymore, but played a lot back in the day. A must have for those that collect memorable 80's music!
- 4. Captain Of Her Heart by Double
This song was very popular on adult contemporary stations in the 80's. From time to time you'll hear an instrumental for this or rarely the real song play in grocery stores, on an elevator, and etc,. This song is unforgetably beautiful and will make your heart melt and your mind drift away! "She couldn't wait another day for...the captain of her heart..."
- 3. You Can Do Magic by America
What can I say, 'cept this played all the time, and you don't hear it much anymore. Great song.
- 2. Stay The Night by Benjamin Orr
This was one of those songs from the 80's that would just carry you away. Very hard and rare these days to find, but very popular back in the day. Very relaxing and almost hypnotic sound to it. Everyone that lived in the 80's would remember this song well. A must have.
- 1. Feels So Good by Chuck Mangione
This was an instrumental song that played on every adult contemporary station I ever listened to; and it played all the time. VERY hard song to find and very rare. Took forever for me to find the name of this song , but with months of determination, I succeeded! Whew!
Some of these songs took forever for me to find, but I guarantee, my search paid off.
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.