In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
By: Jennie Bruckner
- 10. You Make My Dreams Come True by Hall & Oates
- 9. Got My Mind Set On You by George Harrison
The man was a Beatle. Must I say more?
- 8. Video Killed The Radio Star by The Buggles
This song almost completely changed my view of music.
- 7. Open Arms by Journey
- 6. What Do All The People Know by The Monroes
I'm surprised no one else has this on their lists!
- 5. Heat Of The Moment by Asia
- 4. Sunday, Bloody Sunday by U2
The only song I trust as my ringtone.
- 3. Beds Are Burning by Midnight Oil
This song has a message, and I totally dig it!
- 2. Alone by Heart
This song gives me chills every time I hear it.
- 1. Vienna Calling by Falco
So you have to know German to understand it... It's still awesome!
Anything on the wedding singer soundtrack also kicks a**!
- 10. Road To Nowhere by Talking Heads
A great song! I love Talking heads!
- 9. Sunday Bloody Sunday by U2
Lyrics speak for themselves!
- 8. A View To A Kill by Duran Duran
- 7. Life Is Life by Laibach
A cover, but great one!
- 6. William, It Was Really Nothing by The Smiths
Or any else from The Smiths.
- 5. Don't You Want Me? by Human League
I love this song!
- 4. The Walk by The Cure
- 3. I Don't Like Mondays by The Boomtown Rats
Tell me why!?
- 2. Holiday In Cambodia by Dead Kennedys
So you been to school for a year or two!
- 1. The Lebanon by Human League
Great lyric, great song!
And Depeche mode: Black celebration
By: Mark Breen Gerald
- 10. Everybody Wants To Rule The World by Tears For Fears
This song represents another great hit by this 80s group. "Shout" is also one of my favorite tunes.
- 9. Hot For Teacher by Van Halen
This song deserves the cake, heavy whipped cream, in addition to dozens of cherries on top. Consider the title!
- 8. Who Wants To Live Forever by Queen
I thought that this song largely succeeded over Bohemian Raphsody. Freddy Mercury should have lived a full life to sing his revolutionary masterpieces.
- 7. Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Leppard
I can't recall when this song was made or released. However, of all of Def Leppard's greatest hits, I think this one surpasses and reigns over all of them.
- 6. New Year's Day by U2
Even when this great band started, their songs were just as fantasticly brilliant as they are now. This song demonstrates U2's perpetual intelligence as musicians
- 5. I Won't Forget You by Poison
This song sort of emanates a mystical vibration and sound. The guitar work by CC DeVille is truly excellent and mind-altering.
- 4. Dancing In The Streets by David Bowie & Mick Jagger
Although I thoroughly enjoy this song and its dynamic vocalists, David Bowie is barely audible when coupled with Mick Jagger's screaming voice.
- 3. Eyes Without A Face by Billy Idol
The whole melody and vocal contributions make this song a superb one.
- 2. Sowing The Seeds Of Love by Tears For Fears
This song should have received more accolades and awards than it did back in the early 80s.
- 1. Let's Dance by David Bowie
David Bowie certainly creates a great scene for a dance club with this song. I can't stop twisting and shouting even after repeatedly listening to this hit.
Queen, the Rolling Stones, David Bowie, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin certainly flourished during this time period of the 1980s. Although many other famous and popular musicians reached vast audiences, I would have to contend that these select few dominated.
- 10. A View To A Kill by Duran Duran
again, perfect pop mixed with james bond, get it on the action!
- 9. Billie Jean by Michael Jackson
Even I dont like him, he did great with this dance number!
- 8. Learning To Fly by Pink Floyd
Pink Floyd is still for me the best rock band in the world.
- 7. Mama by Genesis
I love when Phil starts to sream............
- 6. Shout by Tears for Fears
great rock and pop track, nothing is missing.
- 5. Hunting High And Low by a-ha
the best ballad of the 80's for me.
- 4. Wherever I Lay May Hat (That's My Home) by Paul Young
His voice on that track is unbelivable
- 3. Modern Love by David Bowie
Propably the song which i heard most so far.
- 2. The Reflex by Duran Duran
80's pop on his highest level, great stuff!
- 1. Purple Rain by Prince And The Revolution
This song has influenced my life, classical rock ballad, cnat get better anymore.
- 10. Grimly Fiendish by The Damned
- 9. Mad About You by Belinda Carlisle
- 8. Rush Hour by Jane Wiedlin
- 7. Strange Kind Of Love by Peter Murphy
- 6. We Got The Beat by The Go-Go's
- 5. Peek-A-Boo by Siouxsie & The Banshees
- 4. Prince Charming by Adam & The Ants
- 3. Chorus by Erasure
- 2. Rock Lobster by B-52's
- 1. Head Over Heels by Go-Go's
By: Yasser Shamsher
- 10. Against All Odds by Phil Collins
- 9. Here Comes My Girl by Tom Petty
- 8. Bleed To Love Her by Fleetwood Mac
- 7. I've Got My Mind Set On You by George Harrison
George, I love you for this one.
- 6. Rush Hour by Jane Wiedlin
- 5. Pure by The Lightning Seeds
The song's deeper meaning and guitaric riffs make you want to listen over and over.
- 4. Girlfriend In A Coma by The Smiths
I don't know how he did it... but Morrissey took a concept that is just so heart gripping and turned it into one in a ligher vane.
- 3. Caravan Of Love by The Housemartins
Stand up already!!! The caravan's not gonna wait!!!
- 2. Slave To Love by Bryan Ferry
A fitting song for those who ever fell madly, deeply in love. (Sigh)
- 1. Your Love by The Outfield
I love the riff at the end. To me, this has got to be the epitome of what the 80s was all about.
i was born in 84, wish it was 74 so i could remember this era, music today is terrible espcially rap!!!!!!!!!
By: David Audet Gervais
I think of all the songs and all the bands I didn't mention and I'm ashamed. However, I think my choices were right and representative of what I like about the 80s. I just want to say that I used to hate 80s music, and it's because of punk rock songs and punk rock bands of the late 70s and early 80s that I started to enjoy new wave. Thanks to The Adicts, The Ramones, The Damned, The Pixies and Robert Smith!!!
- 10. Careless Whisper by Wham!
- 9. Holiday Road by Lindsay Buckingham
When you hear it, you become a memeber of the Griswald family!
- 8. Separate Ways by Journey
- 7. Moonlight On Water by Kevin Raleigh
If your an 80's fan you have heard this song before. Its called "Moonlight On Water" and NOT "Sex On The Beach" like most people think. I know cuz this guy is my neighbor
- 6. Land Of Confusion by Genesis
Good ole' Collins at his best
- 5. Endless Summer Nights by Richard Marx
- 4. Hip To Be Square by Huey Lewis & The News
More Huey....this time in the later movie American Psycho as Pat Bateman axes Paul Allen
- 3. The Power Of Love by Huey Lewis & The News
Michael J. Fox and his radical time machine
- 2. Arthur's Theme by Christopher Cross
We all love Dudley Moore....it's the complete love masterpiece
- 1. On Our Own by Bobby Brown
Ghostbusters 2... come on now, I guess we're gonna have to take control!
I love too many songs from this decade to even rank. Great Site!!!!
- 10. Hungry Like The Wolf by Duran Duran
Good voice from simon!!i also enjoy this video clip(short story I must say)
- 9. She Drives Me Crazy by Fine Young Cannibals
this singer has a unique voice!!!so I enjoy this song
- 8. Do You Really Want To Hurt Me by Culture Club
Nice melodies and like a voice from boy george!!!honestly
- 7. Summer Of '69 by Bryan Adams
always classic rock from Bryan Adams!!!
- 6. With Or Without You by U2
one of the greatest band of the 80's!!!
- 5. Take My Breath Away by Berlin
good melodies and I can feel it!!!
- 4. Never Ending Story by Limahl
I really like this Song Very Much!!!
- 3. Don't You (Forget About Me) by Simple Minds
Good melodies and lyric!!!really
- 2. Hysteria by Def Leppard
Real Classic rockz 4 ever to me!!!honestly
- 1. Save A Prayer by Duran Duran
Good Video Clip In Sri Lanka!!!
- 10. One Night In Bangkok by Murray Head
One night in Bangkok and the world's your oyster, even though it sounds like "the world's your hoyspah", this odd 80's sleeper really shows us how weird that entire decade was.
- 9. Electric Blue by Icehouse
Icehouse, or Flowers as it was once called, is one of the most underrated bands of the 80's, and this song put them on the map when it hit #1 in the US and UK.
- 8. Danger Zone by Kenny Loggins
This 1986 hit from the Top Gun soundtrack was the diamond in the rough on the album. "Take my Breath Away" by Berlin, which doesn't make my list was the flagship song, but didn't really connect to the cinematography the way Kenny Loggins did...again.
- 7. I Can't Wait by Nu Shooz
A one hit wonder if there ever was one, Nu Shooz released this song in the prime of the synthesizer days, and now the beat is played in NBA arenas everywhere.
- 6. Everybody Wants To Rule The World by Tears For Fears
- 5. Tonight, Tonight, Tonight by Phil Collins
Whether he was with Genesis or not, Phil Collins popped out hits like crazy, this one has withstood the test of time better than the others.
- 4. Eye Of The Tiger by Survivor
Featured in 1982's Rocky III and 1985's Rocky IV, this song summed up the two great movies in one nice 3.5 minute ballad. Rocky never really would have survived in the 80's without this song. I think Sly should send a thank you note.
- 3. Billie Jean by Michael Jackson
Remember when Michael Jackson made music?
- 2. Down Under by Men At Work
While Australia was becoming a very popular tourist spot in the decade, this Aussie band released a few hit songs in the US, this being their first. But just like Crocodile Dundee, the original is the best.
- 1. On Our Own by Bobby Brown
This Ghostbusters II soundtrack piece rounded out the 80's very nicely. After the collapse in the 90's, we have yet to see another soundtrack of 80's quality, or another hit song for BB.
BEST ALBUM OF THE 80'S: Rocky IV Soundtrack
By: Staci D.
- 10. Something About You by Level 42
Who doesn't like this?
- 9. Eye In The Sky by The Alan Parsons Project
Also recently rediscovered
- 8. Billie Jean by Michael Jackson
Made me a fan
- 7. Missing You by John Waite
Reminds me of grade school
- 6. Day By Day by The Hooters
Love the intro
- 5. We Don't Need Another Hero by Tina Turner
- 4. I Can't Go For That (No Can Do) by Hall & Oates
My favorite by them
- 3. Your Love by The Outfield
- 2. Hysteria by Def Leppard
One of their best
- 1. Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic by The Police
I will never get tired of this song!
I could go on and on!
By: Jonathan Specht
- 10. Africa by Toto
- 9. Hysteria by Def Leppard
Good rock love song.
- 8. The Power Of Love by Huey Lewis And The News
From the Back to the Future trilogy, best trilogy ever.
- 7. New Year's Day by U2
Another great U2 song.
- 6. Dress You Up by Madonna
Another good dance song.
- 5. Summer Of '69 by Bryan Adams
- 4. Sunday Bloody Sunday by U2
A good song about the fighting in Ireland.
- 3. Into The Groove by Madonna
Great dance song.
- 2. Beat It by Michael Jackson
- 1. With Or Without You by U2
Absolutely beautiful, one of the best of all time.
All U2 is good, Madonna had some great stuff, Michael Jackson was cool for awhile.
By: Ermilo P.
- 10. It's No Secret by Kylie Minogue
Anybody remember this song? If you do, then pat yourself on the back, you're an 80's maniac. You've probably were constantly updated on the 80's music scene. Only very few remember this very low-profile, but very unforgettable song!Kylie is the undisputed best!
- 9. Genius Of Love by Tom Tom Club
Another great club hit! It can't get any funkier than this song!
- 8. Straight Up by Paula Abdul
Straight Up to the top. A classic.
- 7. Blue Monday by New Order
New Wavers New Order really go all out with the original and best: Blue Monday. A Club classic!
- 6. The Locomotion by Kylie Minogue
The Locomotion lives on! Kylie kicks ass! C'mon baby, do the Locomotion!
- 5. Salt-N-Pepa by Push It
Push it real good!
- 4. Back On The Chain Gang by The Pretenders
Nostalgic song. One of my favourites!
- 3. Open Your Heart by Madonna
One of Madonna's best songs of the 80's.
- 2. Jump by Van Halen
The 80's party Anthem!
- 1. Call Me by Blondie
THE Best song of the 80's! Blondie rocks! Nothing beats this!
By: John A
- 10. Enola Gay by Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark
"Its 8:15 and thats the time that its always been" Haunting but enjoyable song.
- 9. It's My Life by Talk Talk
Great video as well. One of many 80's songs to be ripped off in the 90's and 2000+ This classic is often imitated but never duplicated.
- 8. Forever Young by Alphaville
One of the greatest ballads of all time.
- 7. Nova Heart by The Spoons
Great Canadian band. This song had great appeal in many genres and like many 80's songs still enjoys a lot of airtime today.
- 6. Go! by Tones on Tail
Formerly Bauhaus and currently Love and Rockets, this band had an awesome sound and this was a big hit on the dance floors.
- 5. Everyday Is Halloween by Ministry
Groundbreaking song before they plummeted to earth, releasing "Stigmata" which was a precursor to the unfortunate grunge/garage craze of the early 90's.
- 4. Strangelove by Depeche Mode
One of many gems created by this band. They were the ultimate band of the "new romantic" genre.
- 3. How Soon Is Now? by The Smiths
Another 80's anthem which was one of the brightest of their many musical achievements.
- 2. Just Like Heaven by The Cure
Brilliant lyrics, brilliant melody, brilliant 80's band!
- 1. Blue Monday by New Order
An anthem for a generation. New Order typified the classic 80's band. This tune had great crossover dance appeal and is still in heavy rotation today.
So many great songs--unfair and difficult to narrow it down but this is a good sampling of the ingenuity, creativity and uniqueness that was the 80's.
I might have been born in 1985 and not really not remember much but these songs still make me wanna dance :)
- 10. Take On Me by a-ha
The best 80's song ever, undisputable.
- 9. 867-5309/Jenny by Tommy Tutone
Funny story really.
- 8. 99 Luftballons by Nena
An amazing 80's german song, i would also recommend getting 99 red ballons by goldfinger, great cover.
- 7. Der Kommissar by After The Fire
A great, so 80's beat.
- 6. Come On Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners
i love the song all together
- 5. Total Eclipse Of The Heart by Bonnie Tyler
A sad, yet great song
- 4. You Shook Me All Night Long by AC/DC
A great 80s classic.
- 3. I Ran by A Flock Of Seagulls
gotta love the game.
- 2. We Built This City by Starship
great 80's beat
- 1. Down Under by Men At Work
made us all have a little love for the aussies
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.