In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
- 10. Come On Eil een by Dexy's Midnight Runners
- 9. Mad World by Tears For Fears
another from "donnie darko"
- 8. Sweet Freedom by Michael McDonald
- 7. Ain't Nobody by Chaka Khan
- 6. Owner Of A Lonely Heart by Yes
- 5. She Blinded Me With Science by Thomas Dolby
- 4. I'm Free by The Soup Dragons
it's a remake, but a damn good one!
- 3. Everything She Wants by Wham!
- 2. Head Over Heels by Tears For Fears
another song from the movie "donnie darko"
- 1. Under The Milky Way by The Church
one of the deeper songs of the 80's - see the movie "donnie darko" and you'll open yourself to a whole new side of music from the 80's
if you are looking to find more meaning out of 80's music, these songs are good places to start. but also groups like tears for fears, the church, the fixx, and duran duran. the 80's wasn't all bubblegum pop music. above all things though, i urge you to watch "donnie darko" . this movie will change you - i promise.
By: Gabe Aguilar
- 10. Dolce Vita (American Version) by Kristian Conde
- 9. Different Story by Peter Schilling
- 8. Lovesong by The ure
- 7. Obsession by Animotion
- 6. Suedehead by Morrissey
- 5. True Faith by New Order
- 4. Personal Jesus by Depeche Mode
- 3. A Little Respect by Erasure
- 2. The Promise by When In Rome
- 1. Take On Me by a-ha
The decade of music!
- 10. about a girl by Nirvana
Not my favorite but its the 80's (1989).
- 9. Mr. Crowley by Ozzy Osbourne
Best Ozzy song ever i really like the solo's of Rhandy.
- 8. Nobody Weird Like Me by Red Hot Chili Peppers
Great song and funny to.
- 7. The Unforgettable Fire by U2
It's a master piece great job: U2.
- 6. Let Love Rule by Lenny Kravitz
Great Musician and this my favorite Lenny Kravitz song.
- 5. Epic by Faith No More
Great Faith No More song i really like it espacialy the live version taken from the album live at the brixton academie.
- 4. Sanitarium by Metallica
This is the real MetallicA its million times better than the crap MetallicA of the 90's with that idiot of an Bob Rock.
- 3. Every Breath You Take by The Police
This song is so beatiful its great.
- 2. Paradise City by Guns 'n Roses
Best guns 'n roses song ever! great just great.
- 1. With Or Without You by U2
best song of the 80's U2. But i like Until the End of the World Better.
I was born in 1983 so i don't exacly all the music.
By: Dan Kusik
- 10. Sister Christian by Night Ranger
Real good song, i didnt know either to put this at 10 or REO's keep on loving you. either way both songs are great.
- 9. Puttin' On The Ritz by Taco
I would have never thought a remake of puttin on the ritz would have turned out so good.
- 8. Thriller by Michael Jackson
Hhhmmm, billy jean, dont stop till you get enough or thriller? Anyways Amazing song, I should made it 3 or 4. I picked it over his others couse its got the Best music video to be ever created. I would have put more MJ songs on my list but theres so many goods ones it would be filled with just his songs.
- 7. It's The End Of The World As We Know It (and I Fee by R.E.M.
Overall a good song.
- 6. 99 Luftballons by Nena
It's such a great song with a real good messege.
- 5. One Night In Bankok by Murray Head
The best song about chess!...and the only
- 4. Sunglasses At Night by Corey Hart
Cool song, cool guy. Never Surrender was a real good song from him also.
- 3. I Ran by A Flock Of Seagulls
Great song, its such an 80's song. Wishing was also a pretty good song from Flock of Seagulls.
- 2. Safety Dance by Men Without Hats
I thought about making this number 1 because its such a good song and the video is kinda neat too.
- 1. Take On Me by a-ha
Hands down this is the greatest song to come out of the 80's. One of my favorite videos from the 80's also.
By: Rui Craveiro
- 10. The Day Before You Came by ABBA
- 9. The Winner Takes It All by ABBA
- 8. Magic by Olivia Newton-John
- 7. Brother Louie by Modern Talking
- 6. Too Shy by KajaGooGoo
- 5. Never Ending Story by Limahl
- 4. 99 Luftballons by Nena
- 3. Into The Groove by Madonna
- 2. Flashbeagle by Desiree Goyette and Ed Bogas
- 1. Treat Me Right by Pat Benatar
By: Frankie B of So Cali
- 10. Do You Believe In Love? by Huey Lewis and the News
I think this is an 80s version of ELO's "Sweet Talkin' Woman". Very much so. The tune is alike, though more 80s sounding. The voice arrangements are alike, as well.
- 9. Shout by Tears For Fears
Tears For Fears are another tight group. Their music comes off sounding very close knit. Shout is one of my personal favorites and shows off some good percussion and keyboard solos.
- 8. Karma Chameleon by Culture Club
I loved this song because of it's melody. At the time, I was just a little kid, but I didn't notice that it was kinda a sad song.
- 7. The Reflex by Duran Duran
My favorite Duran Duran song("New Moon On Monday" being my second). Duran Duran is one tight group!
- 6. Freedom by Wham!
I love this song. Very bouncy. Have the music DVD with the video.
- 5. Take Me Home Tonight by Eddie Money
I was like, 5-years old when this song came out. I loved it, though. I remember the music video where Eddie is in some empty arena, playing his sax as Ronnie Spector comes dancing in.
- 4. If You Leave by Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark
Love this song from "Pretty In Pink".
- 3. Take On Me by a-ha
The video caught my eye, and having a love for art, even at my tender age, it had a great impact on me. The music and animation fit flawlessly!
- 2. Against All Odds by Phil Collins
Very powerful song. Really meaningful and emotional as well. Love the piano piece in the opening and ending!!
- 1. Always On My Mind by Pet Shop Boys
Such memories with this one particular song. Soooo much memories!
I'm a kid of the 80s. I was raised on MTV, back in the day when the little astronaut would stick that MTV flag on the moon. We've come a long way, baby. Peace out...
- 10. Heart Of Rock 'n' Roll by Huey Lewis & The News
"...Tulsa, Austin, Oklahoma City, Seattle, San Francisco, too-oo-oo..." If you just read that line and didn't recite it with the beat of the song in your head, you're not a child of the 80's!
- 9. Like A Virgin by Madonna
It just wouldn't be an 80's list without Madonna, now would it?
- 8. Miami Vice Theme by Jan Hammer
It was TV Guide's pick as the top television theme song of the last 50 years. You can't argue with that!
- 7. Parents Just Don't Understand by DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince
The quintessential expression of pre-teen angst in the 80's!
- 6. No Parking (On The Dance Floor) by Midnight Star
Ahhh....parachute pants, a spray-painted sheet of cardboard and a boombox. What more could a fourth-grader in 1984 ask for?!?
- 5. Don't You (Forget About Me) by Simple Minds
I'm trying not to repeat previous lists, but you can't have an intelligent discussion of 80's pop music without including a song from a John Hughes film soundtrack!
- 4. Raspberry Beret by Prince
Of all the Prince songs already mentioned, none scream "80's!!" quite like this one.
- 3. Billie Jean by Michael Jackson
A sidewalk that lights up when you step on it? And those high-water pants Mike was sportin'? How 80's is that?!
- 2. Walk Like An Egyptian by The Bangles
Can't believe this one hasn't shown up on anybody else's list!
- 1. We Built This City by Starship
Everybody at my sixth grade talent show wanted to lip sync to this one!
Thank's for the half-hour trip down memory lane!
- 10. Rock The Casbah by The Clash
Something i like to hear when i am at my hairdrasser
- 9. The Killing Moon by Echo And The Bunnymen
Cold,spooky like Edgar Allan Poe's story.
- 8. Start by The Jam
Sweet punk.Young Paul Weller and the boys
- 7. Tainted Love by Soft Cell
Sometimes i feel i...early 80s before i was born
- 6. Love Will Tear Us Apart by Joy Division
- 5. Rebel Yell by Billy Idol
The very biggining of this song turns me on.I love it
- 4. You Spin Me 'Round (Like A Record) by Dead or alive
For saturday night in discoteque.
- 3. Too Shy by KajaGooGoo
Perfect for discoteque when you want to seduce someone
- 2. Boys Don't Cry by The Cure
I am just a little boy and i'm so afraid and alone.
- 1. Bigmouth Strikes Again by The Smiths
I simply love it.The Smiths-they remind me how vulnerable,sensitive and mad i am.
But of course i want to say that Smiths are the best.
By: amber brooke
ya! the 80's rock
By: Jay Solano
- 10. Shake It Up/Good Times by The Cars
Always heard them on the Muppet Babies. Besides their awesome, Guitars and cheesy music videos,..They just scream 80s!
- 9. Love Shack by The B-52s
Listen,... "Hugging and kissing, dancing and a lovin, wearing next onothin, always hot as an oven." What are they describing,??/ A Brothel!!! Just kidding,... lol.
- 8. It's A Sin by Pet Shop Boys
"Every thing I've ever done, every place I've ever been,... Itsa itsa itsa SIN!!!"
- 7. Hyperactive! by Thomas Dolby
My theme song,... Always Hyper, always upbeat. "Hyperactive when I'm small, hyperactive now I'm tall, Hyper-Activate"
- 6. Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This) by Eurythmics
I'm a sucker for the Synthesizer. Annie Lennox hair cut with Bright Orange red hair was an eye catcher.
- 5. New Year's Day by U2
Describes the fight between the Soviets and the Nazis in VH1's Pop-up Video during the music video. Besides ,..Snow and horses,..what more could you want?
- 4. White Wedding by Billy Idol
Imagine having a Goth Wedding,..Your gonna need Billy Idol.
- 3. Situation by Yaz
Goes with the whole scheme of things at the end of the 80's when alot of the older peeps had to move out and get their own places. Sucker for synth's. Besides, its on the Gameboy commercial with a GTO and Denim jacket wearing mullet haired 20 year old.
- 2. Just Can't Get Enough by Depeche Mode
Always good to listen to before and during a date with a girlfriend. Helps make the move. And I'm a Sucker for Synthesizers.
- 1. Rio by Duran Duran
The Whole Duran Duran Boat Accident was more than enough. Besides the Sax Duet was awesome,... Rio De Janero, Brazil.
Almost every good song during the 80s had to have a Synthesizer line in it some where, that and Base lines ruled. Groups that made it big off of Synths: Depeche Mode, Pet Shop Boys, Yaz, Dead or Alive, any others you guys might remember. Don't Forget Return of the Jedi and Back to the Future,..... Big 80's all the time.
By: John the Moan
- 10. Let Me Put My Love Into You by AC/DC
Barely 80's (the album came out in 1980) but what an album!
- 9. Deliverance by Queensryche
Now here is one of the more intelligent groups in this pack. They are almost prog-rock. Note the "almost".
- 8. Holy Diver by Dio
Ronnie proved that there is still life after Sabbath....
- 7. Widowmaker by W.A.S.P
One of the foulest mouths ever recorded. but Blacky Lawless delivered on every song.
- 6. Mountains by Manowar
Looking back on this band, their lyrics and antics today are hillarious. To bad that we moved on, but they seem to be stuck in the past.
- 5. Burning The Witches by Warlock
Doro Pesch. Need I say more?
- 4. Blackout by Scorpions
Ok Ok, a little wishy washy but this album was my first introduction to the metal scene at that time, so I have a soft spot in my hart for these softies.
- 3. Living For Tonight by Accept
What a voice Udo has. the dead break pads on my car sound better,but what power...
- 2. Jawbreaker by Judas Priest
The band that put the J in metal.
- 1. Two Minutes To Midnight by Iron Maiden
Little heavy metal will not hurt this page. esp when it comes from the best of the european bands - Iron Maiden.
Wow. There are many more bands and songs I can put here. Only 10? Any song by Iron Miden should be considered. Judas Priest albums "defenders of the faith" and "Sad wings" are a must.
By: Adam Bernard
- 10. I Just Called To Say I Love You by Stevie Wonder
- 9. When Doves Cry by Prince
- 8. Burning Down The House by Talking Heads
Wait till the parties over
- 7. Rock You Like A Hurricane by Scorpions
Here I am
- 6. Eyes Without A Face by Billy Idol
Eyes without a fahaace
- 5. Cruel Summer by Bananarama
Great song to listen to
- 4. Stripped by Depeche Mode
My Favorite Band of all Time
- 3. Hungry Like The Wolf by Duran Duran
Duran Duran Rocks
- 2. Just Like Heaven by The Cure
- 1. Rebel Yell by Billy Idol
In the Midnight hour Baby!
By: Mariya Mitova
- 10. Boys Don't Cry by The Cure
Also kind of sad but very beautiful. You can listen to it and get pensive or you can dance to it like crazy.. it's just a very interesting tune...
- 9. Summer of '69 by Bryan Adams
This one was actually from 1980 so I don't know if it fits. But it's one of the saddest and most beautiful tunes ever so I had to put it in! Always very moving...
- 8. Down Under by Men At Work
Great melody and the vocals are perfect..
- 7. Invisible Touch by Genesis
Can't stand still when you hear this one.
- 6. 99 Luftballons by Nena
Great song, great lyrics, somehow stands out with its rhythm among the rest of the songs from the decade... The vocalist has awesome voice too.
- 5. Don't Stand So Close To Me/ King Of Pain by The Police
Other songs from them can go here too.
- 4. Girls Just Want To Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper
The cheesiest song ever but it's just great!
- 3. Material Girl by Madonna
I could make a top 10 list of the decade using only Madonna's songs... She is like the 80's epitomized. love her.
- 2. Forever Young by Alphaville
Beautiful song, I try to listen to it only at certain moments because it is kind of sad. you should be really in the mood for it.
- 1. Take On Me by a-ha
The ultimate 80's song for sure.
Although I was born in 1983 and was not grown enough to remember much of the music scene then, I love the 80's music. Glad there are so many other people who listen to it. Best, Mariya
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.