In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
- 10. Take Me Home by Phil Collins
A beauftiful song about home and dreams.
- 9. Don't You (Forget About Me) by Simple Minds
From the best 80s teen movie, the Breakfast Club
- 8. I Can't Fight This Feeling by REO Speedwagon
- 7. You Shook Me All Night Long by AC/DC
A great Rock Song
- 6. Eye Of The Tiger by Survivor
Best movie soundtrack song of the 80s.
- 5. Beat It by Michael Jackson
From the best 80s album, Thriller
- 4. Billie Jean by Michael Jackson
Still the greatest 80s Dance Song
- 3. Summer Of '69 by Bryan Adams
Some great songs came from Canada in the 80s....this one is the best.
- 2. Where The Streets Have No Name by U2
Great song, great video, great band.
- 1. A Good Heart by Feargal Sharkey
Great melody, great to sing to. A song that you can dance to, or listen to by your self on a rainy day.
By: Todd Gauger
- 10. Round And Round by Ratt
Sweet, sweet 80's metal.
- 9. Livin' On A Prayer by Bon Jovi
A great great song that everyone likes.
- 8. Unchained by Van Halen
EVH is god!
- 7. Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Leppard
The ultimate 80's song.
- 6. Talk Dirty To Me by Poison
A great 80's hair band song by an awesome hair band!
- 5. Lick It Up by KISS
Some tongue in cheek fun. A great 80's rock song.
- 4. Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns 'n' Roses
Awesome guitar riff at the begining of the song.
- 3. Wanted Dead or Alive by Bon Jovi
A very powerful rock-ballad.
- 2. Dr. Feelgood by Motley Crue
Crue at the top of their game.
- 1. Jump by Van Halen
Might as well Jump!
No band ruled the 80's like VAN HALEN!
By: Steve Lane
- 10. The Smile Has Left Your Eyes by Asia
- 9. That was Then, This Is Now by The Monkees
I know...a 60s group? But this was...as comebacks go...a great one. And a video to match. The pioneers of music video, some might argue.
- 8. In My Dreams by REO Speedwagon
- 7. Wishing (If I Had A Photograph Of You) by A Flock Of Seagulls
- 6. Time by Alan Parsons Project
- 5. The Best Of Times by Styx
- 4. Electric Blue by Icehouse
- 3. Long Goodbyes by Camel
Never having a hit...stateside anyway..., the band has in excess of 15 albums/CDs out spanning the '70s to the '90s. You need to find a copy of this song. A mellow, classic rock type song with great guitars and melodies.
- 2. Say It Isn't So by The Outfield
Your Love was a much bigger hit, but Say It Isn't So was a better song.
- 1. Stand Or Fall by The Fixx
They had bigger hits, but this one started them out.
By: Chris H
These songs arent in any order i just like em all the same!!
The Brew 97.3 The Rock of '80s and more
By: Tom Corless
- 10. Alphabet St. by Prince
So many great songs from His Majesty, but this is my favorite.
- 9. Peek-A-Boo by Siouxsie And The Banshees
A party stomper.
- 8. What Have I Done To Deserve This? by Pet Shop Boys featuring Dusty Springfield
Brilliant pop music from the British duo featuring Britain's greatest female vocalist.
- 7. I Love It When You Call Me Names by Joan Armatrading
An underrated song from an underrated performer. This is a great rocker and the controversial lyrics about sadomasochistic relationships are some of the most intelligent written in the 80s.
- 6. State Of Independence by Donna Summer
Donna Summer may have been famous as a disco queen and 80s hits like "She Works Hard For the Money", but this song, a collaboration with Quincy Jones, is simply one of her best vocal performances ever.
- 5. You Get The Best From Me (Say, Say, Say) by Alicia Myers
One of the most underrated voices in music, Ms. Myers gave a scorching performance on this R&B/dance hit. A classic.
- 4. Fashion by David Bowie
Bowie had a lot of great 80s songs. This is one of them.
- 3. You Came by Kim Wilde
Perfect as pop music can get.
- 2. Friends by Jody Watley and Eric B & Rakim
A precursor to the Beyonce/Jay-Z and Nelly and Christina collaborations, this funky, slinky song about friends still sounds fresh today.
- 1. Like A Prayer by Madonna
A perfect combination of pop, rock, R&B and gospel.
Honorable mentions: Brite Side by Debbie Harry; Cyndi Lauper's cover of What's Going On; Anita Baker's Sweet Love; Tenderness by General Public and A Little Respect by Erasure.
I miss the 80's sound.... Every time I hear some of these songs...I smile and want to do the Molly Ringwald dance! I don't miss the clothes. The movies and music and the whole experience of it..That I miss!
By: Brian Crump
- 10. Somebody's Watching Me by Rockwell
Another R&B artist that went out with the 80s. This was his best and biggest hit. It really captured the paranoia of the 80s.
- 9. Rumours / Thinkin' About Ya by Timex Social Club
Another great R&B group that fell apart after the 80s. They only made one album and I'll never part with the record. The 12" versions are great too.
- 8. Is This Love? by Whitesnake
Great 80s power ballad. Sung by a great group too. This album was also a classic and I must have played that tape at least a million times.
- 7. Saving All My Love For You by Whitney Houston
Another 80's classic. This was one of Whitney's best ballads.
- 6. When Doves Cry by Prince
Prince, his name speaks for itself.
- 5. The Sweetest Taboo by Sade
I didn't appreciate Sade's music until I got older but I heard her music constantly as a child. Her voice was truly not of this world.
- 4. Word Up / Candy by Cameo
Love these songs. Top R&B hits of the 80s. Cameo was also one of the most influential male groups of the 80s.
- 3. I Can't Wait by Nu Shooz
Catchy beat and catchy hook. Just reminds me of the 80s. Never get tired of it.
- 2. The Lady In My Life by Michael Jackon
Probably the best song from the Thriller album and also the one that received the least radio play. Best slow jam of all time. PERIOD
- 1. Billie Jean by Michael Jackson
Every child of the 80's should remember and love this song. This song brings back memories. The album was and still is a classic.
Well, I could go on listing about a hundred other great 80s songs but these are my top ten. The 80s will always have a place in my heart and these songs best capture my memories. Peace and God Bless, -Brian
By: John Adame
- 10. How Soon Is Now? by The Smiths
Morrissey in Rare form. Hottest wave groover of the 80's! Period!
- 9. Problems D' Amor by Alexander Robotnik
It Does not get any better than this!
- 8. Change Your Mind by Sharp & Numan
One of a kind duo!
- 7. Living On The Ceiling by Blancmange
Depechemode with Yaz before they broke up. WOW!
- 6. 8:15 To Nowhere by Vicious Pink
This song was huge in the mid 80's. It's still played by clubs that have experieced savy retro/wave DJ's.
- 5. Glad to Know You by Chaz Jankel
Number One Club Hit!
- 4. Native Love by Devine
This song capture the early 80's club scene.
- 3. Take Me High by Colm III
Awesome 80's dance hit, especially in the south, Texas.
- 2. Don't You Want Me by Human League
- 1. Bizarre Love Triangle by New Order
The most Popular Dance Song, and most played sonf of all time, in clubs!
The songs that started it all, as far as electronic music. Situation and Don't Go By Yaz, and the ever popular Blue Monday, the original mix from 1982. These song tipify the 80's wave techno burst. I am a DJ with 3o years experience. I tour around the country to play top retro 80's gigs. Send me an e-mail to book, if interested. Demo CD's available.
- 10. Salsalito Summernight by Diesel
Early 80's rockin' song. Believe it or not, it still has somewhat of a cult following!
- 9. Let's Go All The Way by Sly Fox
A great one-hit-wonder. "All The Hollywood Squares are...Living in Disneyland. Wheeeeeeeeeeee!"
- 8. Welcome To Paradise by Front 242
The late 80's club song that gave us that 'No Sex Until Marriage' line.
- 7. It's My Life by Talk Talk
Strange video to a great song. No Doubt covered this song nicely, too.
- 6. Kayleigh by Marillion
Wicked break-up song...big in Europe, but a minor hit here...most Yanks have never heard of 'em.
- 5. Wouldn't It Be Good by Nik Kershaw
Nik Kershaw is an amazing songwriter across 'the pond.' Too bad he didn't do so well in the U.S.
- 4. Industrial Disease by Dire Straits
Since everyone thinks the pinnacle Dire Straits is 'Money For Nothing', here comes a very cool song that does not appear on any of their greatest hits compilations.
- 3. Anytime by Journey
- 2. Feeling That Way by Journey
Just about anything that Journey did...this and the following song made it great!
- 1. Strength by The Alarm
Only 80's group that could pull off the 'sounds like an Angry U2 song.'
I know I left off a bunch that made the 80's great and most of them are listed before my post. These 10 are on my Ultimate 80's mix CD.
- 10. Kiss Me On The Bus by The Replacements
I don't think I have seen the replacements anywhere...
- 9. Talk About The Passion by REM
Before everyone know who REM was.
- 8. Burning Down The House by Talking Heads
Had to get something from the Heads
- 7. Kiss by Prince
KAMS & COD's on Friday afternoon
- 6. Would I Lie To You by Eurythmics
KAMS & COD's on Friday afternoon
- 5. God's Country by U2
9081/2 S. Oak Street
- 4. When The World Is Running Down... by The Police
I can only pick 10 songs??? The Police had a lot of good songs...thios early one I don't see mentioned and is the one that hooked me...
- 3. Cult Of Personality by Living Colour
Another late one...1989 was a great year for music...Tom Petty, Jackson Brown, B-52's all had "come backs" ... Love and Rockets....
- 2. Love Shack by The B-52's
These 10 are in no particular order....I could easily do more than 10...
- 1. Let Love Rule by Lenny Kravitz
Was this 1989 or 1990?? Pretty sure this one can sneak in
There are so many more. Many have already been mentioned...but thses are some that bring back memories for me that I haven't seen anywhere else...honorable mentions...Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic --The Police, ABACAB- Genesis, Games Without Frontiers and Sledgehammer - Peter Gabriel, Rock The Casbah -The Clash, Feel For You-Chaka Kahn from after hours parties...
I love all kinds of 80s music, but hair metal is the best! There are just way too many songs that should be on the top 10 list.
By: john and leanne
- 10. Jealous Guy by Bryan Ferry
A fine tribute and great rendition of this John Lennon classic.
- 9. Bette Davis Eyes by Kim Carnes
Instantly recognisable, pure gravel voice.
- 8. Under Pressure by David Bowie and Queen
The culmination of two huge talents produced this haunting unforgettable early eighties classic.
- 7. You Shook Me All Night Long by AC/DC
In my opinion their greatest hit in the post Bon Scott era
- 6. Our Lips Are Sealed by The Go Gos
A pioneering great girl band hit which paved the way for many others of this decade.
- 5. Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic by The Police
A masterpeice fusion of whitepunk and regae with distinctive Carribean tones
- 4. Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns 'n' Roses
The definitive Gunners tune. Unmistakeable late 80s American metal.
- 3. Rocket by Def Leppard
A classic hit from a classic album. Pure British hair of the late 80s.
- 2. Every Rose Has Its Thorn by Poison
A meloncholic romantic for anybody that has been in love.
- 1. Don't You (Forget About Me) by Simple Minds
Along with Glenfeddich Single Malt, the finest export ever to come out of Scotland (Simple Minds)!
There are a tonne of others too many to mention, so here are the most important! Howard Jones, Cindy Lauper, Bruce Springstein, Sting, Ultravox, Thompson Twins and Peter Gabriel.
By: Jaime Soares
All Pet Shop Boys Discs, Never Gonna Giver you up - Rick Astley, Oh Everyday- Jason Donovan, I Beg Your Pardon-Kon Kan, Oh Lamour, drama, take a chance on me and others from Erasure, Sounds like a melody, dance with me, big in Japan and others from Alphaville...
By: karl Utermohlen
- 10. Ride the Lightning by Metallica
- 9. The Frayed Ends of Sanity by Metallica
Get this one.
- 8. One by Metallica
- 7. Fade to Black by Metallica
Get this too.
- 6. The Thing That Should Not Be by Metallica
- 5. Escape by Metallica
One of the 1st Metallica songs I heard.
- 4. Eye of the Beholder by Metallica
I simply love Metallica, this song is so good.
- 3. Battery by Metallica
Quick song, really quick and nice lyrics.
- 2. Master of Puppets by Metallica
Simply fantastic, same comments as up there.
- 1. For Whom the Bell Tolls by Metallica
Awesome song, loved Hammet's guitar solo in here and nice lyrics.
By: Syd from France
- 10. This Charming Man by The Smiths
One of the greatest band.
- 9. Decades by Joy Division
- 8. The Magnificent Seven by The Clash
tu tu tu tutu makes me think to the recent seven nation army
- 7. Marquee Moon by Television
Great guitars duo
- 6. Black Celebration by Depeche Mode
Give a synthe to a goth....
- 5. Peaches by The Stranglers
- 4. Outdoor Miner by Wire
One of my favourite
- 3. Poptones by Public Image Limited
I love the bass...
- 2. Love In A Void by Siouxsie & The Banshees
Such power and sadness...
- 1. The Empty World by The Cure
.... it's just my choice!
I forget a lot of great bands...REM,Nick Cave,Bowie and the popular hits in fact this is my chart
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.