In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
The ´80 decada gave the world the best themes ever heard, I hope all the people has this on mind so come back this rythims.
- 10. Billy Hyena by Wide Boy Awake
- 9. See Those Eyes by Altered Images
- 8. Listening by Pseudo Echo
- 7. Music For Boys by The Suburbs
- 6. Voices Carry by 'Til Tuesday
- 5. Dirty Creature by Split Enz
- 4. The Space Between by Roxy Music
- 3. Promised You A Miracle by Simple Minds
- 2. Wishing (If I Had A Photograph Of You) by A Flock of Seagulls
- 1. Stick To The Grind by King Cotton
By: Brad Matthews
- 10. Don't Stop Believin' by Journey
Reminiscence is a good thing. This song captures my childhood memories as well.
- 9. Nothing Compares 2 U by Sinéad O'Connor
This song also makes me cry sometimes. Kudos to her for being publicly defiant of Christianity. It takes courage to stand up to a religion that encompasses 75% of the world.
- 8. Don't You (Forget About Me) by Simple Minds
Breakfast Club. Great movie, great theme song.
- 7. The Sun In The Stream by Enya
Celtic music being my favourite genre, this tune struck home with its Uileann Bagpipe lead tune. It literally makes me cry to listen to it and think of Ireland.
- 6. The Postman Song (Because I Love You) by Stevie B
Yet another of my reminiscent songs. A lovely little love tune.
- 5. Gold by Spandau Ballet
I first heard this song on Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and have enjoyed it ever since.
- 4. Mandolin Rain by Bruce Hornsby
Another of my reminiscent songs.
- 3. Video Killed The Radio Star by The Buggles
A pioneer for music videos, but also just a great song in general.
- 2. The End Of The Innocence by Don Henley
I consider this song to be one of my reminiscent songs, as it greatly reminds me of my childhood.
- 1. The Spirit Of Radio by Rush
Certainly my favourite Classic Rock song of the 80's. It came out exactly in 1980 but hey, it counts.
By: David Obenrauch
- 10. Behind The Wheel by Depeche Mode
- 9. Lovesong by The Cure
- 8. I Owe You Nothing by Bros
- 7. The Way It Is by Bruce Hornsby And The Range
- 6. Love Changes Everything by Climie Fisher
- 5. Love Comes Quickly by Pet Shop Boys
- 4. Missing You by John Waite
regrettably a man with one Song
- 3. Boys Of Summer by Don Henley
1985, in this time was the best music made
- 2. Don´t You (Forget About Me) by Simple Minds
Jim how excellent you are, you must be very good man I think so, In Vienna in November 03 you and guys were great
- 1. Everybody Wants To Rule The World by Tears For Fears
The best song ever written,In May 85 I was 17 and sang the song in the train from Prague to Brno over all night celebrating Czech Ice hockey team Gold medal in Championship in Prague
By: J H
- 10. Burning Down The House by Talking Heads
"hold tight wait til the partys over, hold tight were in for nasty weather, there has got to be a way burning down the house"
- 9. Head On by The Jesus And Mary Chain
"as soon as I get my head around you i come around catching sparks off you i get an electric shock from you"
- 8. (Keep Feeling) Fascination by The Human League
"and so the conversation turned until the sun went down, and many fantasies were learned On that day"
- 7. The Ghost In You by The Psychedelic Furs
"a man in my shoes runs a light and all the papers lied tonight, but falling over you is the news of the day"
- 6. Since You're Gone by The Cars
"since your gone the nights are getting strange, since your gone well nothings making any sense, since your gone"
- 5. Wishing (If I Had A Photograph Of You) by A Flock Of Seagulls
"if i had a photograph of you, its somthing to remind me, i wouldnt spend my life just wishing"
- 4. Stand And Deliver by Adam Ant
"im the dandy highway man who your too scared too mention, i spend my cash on looking flash and grabbing your attention"
- 3. Beautiful World by Devo
"its a wonderful time to be here its nice to be alive, wonderful people everywhere, the way they comb there hair"
- 2. Sounds Like A Melody by Alphaville
"theres no reason to hurry just start that brand new story set it alight, were head over heels in love, head over heels"
- 1. Shake The Disease by Depeche Mode
"im not going down on my knees begging you to adore me, cant you see its misery and torture for me"
By: Ruben Z.
- 10. New Order by Bizarre Love Triangle
When my wife and I first fell in love we'd here this song and it made us feel like we had taken a love shot as soon as the intro played. Beautiful melody.
- 9. Skin Trade by Duran Duran
I am throwing this wildcard in for the controversy. J/K I love the Elvis like beginning and the chorus is so (I can't explain it) it just makes me want to sing along.
- 8. Love & Pride by King
I originally had Maneater in this spot by Hall & Oates and after entering Bizzare Love Triangle remebered this song. I am not gay but I cannot get bored of the chorus. It beautiful statement and the constant beat makes it very catchy.
- 7. Cars by Gary Numan
Foreget the stupid commercials that are NOW trying to use 80's songs to be cool. This song should be a drivers theme song. Check out the solo a;though I have no idea what instrument is played.
- 6. Boys Don't Cry by The Cure
Beautiful love song. If you dedicate this to a girl and she doesn't forgive you she is a witch (and you are better off without her).
- 5. West End Girls by Pet Shop Boys
Great chorus and background vocals (soulfull). Cool trumpet.
- 4. Strangelove by Depeche Mode
Great addition to any dance mix, the melody and beat accesorize one another. Gahan is the ultimate voice for dark new wave. Did I mention this is perhaps my favorite 80's artist?
- 3. Drive by The Cars
Ocasek really makes you forget how funny he looks with interpretations like this. You could still score with this one.
- 2. Tainted Love/Where Did Our Love Go? by Soft Cell
The catchiest of beats and the sweetest voice of damaged heart. Good Kareoke song if you have a great buzz!
- 1. The Reflex by Duran Duran
Yeah some people say the gayest, but I say the (maybe) the greatest 80's sound. First time I heard it, I thought it was two different songs. I heard part of it and then another time heard the chorus.
I was born in '78 in Los Angeles, CA. Even though I was a child in the 80's I remember the music and I've never heard anything that sounds better especially today (Hip-hop is so predictable and overrated, rock has become whiney and/or too eratic and what's with emo (weak punk). Don't have cow youngstas, I do however enjoy new stuff but am very selective. Eighties new wave rules!!!!!!!!!
By: Daniel Panlilio
- 10. With Or Without You by U2
One of the greatest ballads ever created. Another cool video (simple yet powerful).
- 9. Every Breath You Take by The Police
The coolest bass player around. Excellent songwriting. If your in love (or falling for somebody) this song is for you.
- 8. The KKK Took My Baby Away by The Ramones
Tied with The Cure as my all time favorite band. Its my generation Beatles. First song of theirs I heard on radio. Back then I knew I was going to be a huge fan of theirs. Pioneers of Punk in my opinion. God Bless Dee Dee, Joey and Johnny wherever they are.
- 7. Bizarre Love Triangle by New Order
Yet another pioneer of new wave (and alternative as well). Dance to the beat
- 6. Domino Dancing by Pet Shop Boys
One of the few songs I heard on radio when I was a kid (im 27 by the way, new wave fanatic from the Philippines). Thought the song and video was cool.
- 5. Mad World by Tears For Fears
Another popular band of the 80's. Realistic lyrics coupled with a great beat.
- 4. Somebody by Depeche Mode
A song that I know word for word (which we all need as well). On of the pioneers of new wave.
- 3. More To Lose by Seonna Dancing
Great lyrics and beat. One of the all time great new wave songs created.
- 2. Gold by Spandau Ballet
Another of my all time favorite songs. Just makes you feel good about yourself.
- 1. Just Like Heaven by The Cure
My all time favorite band (same goes for the song). A band that encompasses new wave, goth, pop, alt rock sounds. Don't you wish this ever happened to you? "...threw her arms around my neck, show me how you do it and I promise you, I promise..." you know the rest hehehe ;)
Just want to share that the 80's have been very memorable for me. Great bands, songs that are simple yet striking, people played wonderful kewboards, economy was good, etc. The music was never boring and repetetive. Anyways, here are some of the other bands that I enjoy listening to: OMD, Flock of Seagulls, Split Enz, Llyod Cole, Big Dish, The Stranglers, Blancmange, The Clash, INXS, The Smiths, Marc Almond, etc.
By: Wade F. Ryan
- 10. End Of The Innocence by Don Henley
Great love song!
- 9. The Reflex by Duran Duran
The The The Part song of the decade!
- 8. With Or Without You by U2
Haunting and passionate!
- 7. Shout by Tears For Fears
Angst song of the 80s!
- 6. In The Air Tonight by Phil Collins
This song MADE Miami Vice the hit that it was!
- 5. Dont Dream It's Over by Crowded House
Great Lover's song (lyrics not withstanding!)
- 4. Don't You (Forget About Me) by Simple Minds
Great head-bopping song on an evening drive!
- 3. Love Is The Seventh Wave by Sting
Great mix of rock, Pop and Reggae!
- 2. Drive by The Cars
- 1. Wrapped Around Your Finger by The Police
The greatest!"....and then you'll find your servant is your master...whoa!"
The other lists goes to show why crack was and still is such the scourge! All those lists and no Police? The people who made up the lists above must be or was under the influence of narcotics!
- 10. 99 Luftballons by Nena
Don't know what it says-- but it's a good song!
- 9. Karma Chameleon by Culture Club
haha-- I always thought that it was Comma Camelion. haha (i was young)
- 8. Somebody's Watching Me by Rockwell
- 7. Come On Eileen by Dexys Midnight Runners
oooooo--- love it!!
- 6. Love Shack by The B-52's
well-- everyone knows it! haha
- 5. Another One Bites The Dust by Queen
Who doesn't like it? Great beat- great song all around!
- 4. Relax by Frankie Goes to Hollywood
great! It never gets old!!
- 3. Ghostbusters by Ray Parker Jr.
I know moves to this one-- haha
- 2. Tainted Love by Soft Cell
Wonderful!! Aren't the 80s great?ä
- 1. Eurythmics by Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)
I LOVE this song! Sweet dreams are made of this.. who am I to disagree? I traveled the World and the Seven Seas. Everybody's looking for somehting..! Great website. :) Wondrous job!
By: Simeon Alacoque Suscipperra
- 10. Too Shy by Kajagoogoo
- 9. I Want Candy by Bow Wow Wow
- 8. Rock Me Amadeus by Falco
- 7. Heart And Soul by T'Pau
- 6. Living In A Box by Living In A Box
- 5. Major Tom (Coming Home) by Peter Schilling
- 4. Whirly Girl by Oxo
- 3. Mexican Radio by Wall Of Voodoo
- 2. Der Kommissar by After The Fire
- 1. White Horse by Laid Back
- 10. Africa by Toto
i know 2 other people said it, but i have to put the song down because after not hearing it for so long then hearing it on the radio it put a tear in my eye, so forgive me...it would be first on my list but given the situation it wasnt
- 9. Road To Nowhere by Talking Heads
- 8. Friday I'm In Love by The Cure
- 7. In Time by Robbie Rob
- 6. Broken Wings by Mr. Mister
- 5. Break My Stride by Matthew Wilder
- 4. Land Of Confusion by Genesis
- 3. King Of Wishful Thinking by Go West
- 2. When The Going Gets Tough by Billy Ocean
- 1. Winds Of Change by Scorpions
I love the 80s, its too bad the music couldnt have lived on....now its only alive in a few hearts
- 10. I Can't Wait by Nu Shooz
- 9. Never Tear Us Apart by INXS
- 8. She Blinded Me With Science by Thomas Dolby
This is a funny song that I find myself laughing at...yet singing..heh
- 7. Dance Hall Days by Wang Chung
- 6. Chains Of Love by Erasure
- 5. Head Over Heels by Tears For Fears
No one has this song listed and IT'S MY FAVORITE tears for fears song!!!! This song is awesome...always gets me!
- 4. Just Like Heaven by The Cure
- 3. These Dreams by Heart
LOVE THIS SONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- 2. The Promise by When In Rome
My Favorite 80s love song
- 1. Dead Man's Party by Oingo Boingo
I CANT BELIEVE NO ONE HAS THIS ONE LISTED, this song rawks! hehe.... BACK TO SCHOOL!!!!
These are just "SOME" of my favorite 80's songs...tried not to be repetative as to what was listed. Im a "youngin" but I LOVE 80s songs... I've loved music since I was born, and these remind me of when I was smaller, when nothing mattered! :) enjoy!
- 10. In The Air Tonight by Phil Collins
Im not a big Phil Collins fan, but this song holds a special place for me when it comes to 80's music. That drumming after "you and me" in the middle of the song pumps anyone up who hears it. That drumming made that song.
- 9. The Safety Dance by Men Without Hats
I don't think this song was as popular in the 80's as it is today. Yes its super silly, the dance is lame, and the video is hideous. But the song defines the 80's.
- 8. Whip It by Devo
It's sort of funny that this band started off as a joke and ended up having one of the greatest songs that defined the 80's. Extremely catchy song.
- 7. (I Just) Died in Your Arms Tonight by Cutting Crew
This song just doesn't escape the mind to anyone who grew up in the 80's. It might not have been a super chart topper, but these one hit wonders will always have some imprint on the 80's.
- 6. Roxanne by The Police
This song cemented the police and sting into rock and roll history. A good rock song from a punk band turned pop. Very catchy even to this day.
- 5. Dancing With Myself by Billy Idol
This song has 80's dancing written all over it. I love this song. It's Great dance song and besides what would the 80's be without Billy Idol.
- 4. Relax by Frankie Goes To Hollywood
This song and Shout go in the same category. As far as sound goes they are very similar. Also Super Catchy.
- 3. Shout by Tears For Fears
Very big song. Has that has to be from the 80's sound. Super Catchy
- 2. Hungry Like The Wolf by Duran Duran
Not their best song in my opinion, but the most popular. Duran Duran were the best band in the 80's.
- 1. Take On Me by a-ha
Enough said. This song pretty much defines the 80's.
hope you like my list.
- 10. Jolene by Dolly Parton
A legend she is, this is my favorite Dolly hit!
- 9. Hurts So Good by John Cougar
A great song, he s one of the best.
- 8. Flashdance (What A Feeling) by Irene Cara
This song is so fun and great to sing along to, it makes you want to dance all night long!
- 7. I Love Rock 'n' Roll by Joan Jett And The Blackhearts
One of the best hits from the 80's! So catchy and easy to know, Rock on!
- 6. Right Here Waiting by Richard Marx
Another beautiful song that others even in the 90's have re-recorded.
- 5. Caribbean Queen by Billy Ocean
This song is great because it has a funky, exotic sound to it, and the lyrics are easy to sing to.
- 4. Sunglasses At Night by Corey Hart
A wonderfully talented and cute singer, hahaha, this is one of my favorite songs because it has a great beat and he has one of the best voices.
- 3. Penny Lover by Lionel Ritchie
A beautiful, wonderful song! My friend played it one day and I was instantly hooked on it! One of the best by Lionel.
- 2. Billie Jean by Michael Jackson
One of my favorite songs by Micheal, it has a good beat to it.
- 1. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper
One of my favorite singers of all time, this song is an instant classic from the 80'S. A karoke favorite!
- 10. Rush by Big Audio Dynamite
A song for whenever you want to dance and/or feel good.
- 9. Wave Of Mutilation by The Pixies
Man . . .this song is so amazing. I like the slow version better, but I love both of them.
- 8. Hymn To Her by The Pretenders
This song is an amazing testament to strong women.
- 7. Closer To Fine by Indigo Girls
This song ROCKS! I love it so much--it's always been a vital part of my life.
- 6. Somebody by Depeche Mode
THE best love song of all time.
- 5. Pictures of You by The Cure
This song is so amazing, definitely the best of a great band for me.
- 4. Only You by Yaz
This is one of the best, sweetest love songs of the 80's.
- 3. Living In Oblivion by Anything Box
I couldn't have made it through high school without this song.
- 2. Cemetry Gates by The Smiths
My favorite Smiths song, and it even mentions Keats, Yeats, and Wilde.
- 1. Starting Over by John Lennon
One of John's last contributions, this is an amazing song and always fills me with such hope.
This was the toughest list I ever had to make!!! Seriously! I love 80's music with all my heart, and I had to narrow my list down from 58 songs to this. :) I wish I could mention all the runners-up here, but . . .I'll just say 2: Arms of Orion by Prince AND Take on Me by A-ha (which I would have included had it not been on so many other people's lists).
Any one of these classics could be re-ordered to the #1 spot on any given day.
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.