In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
By: Basia and Kamil
- 10. Boys Don't Cry by The Cure
Extremely imaginative lyrics mixed with unique rhythm. Takes time to get in love with that song, but it repays in dozens of feelings. The essence of The Cure.
- 9. Suburbia by Pet Shop Boys
All for the melody. I knew Pet Shop Boys is a sure-shot to hit that list, I only wondered which song. Suburbia's the one, which holds the spirit of the 80's.
- 8. Wuthering Heights by Kate Bush
The voice supported by the piano makes an astonishing combination. Makes the unforgetable ambience.
- 7. Self Control by Laura Branigan
That's just what they are calling "The 80's". Although Laura's not the hitmaker, that position is not to miss. A wonder.
- 6. Gold by Spandau Ballet
It's a song which start the 80's-mannia for me. Fantasic lyrics, deep emotions, still under the influence.
- 5. Private Dancer by Tina Turner
Mark Knopfler has written something special. So special, that it took Tina back on the top after few years of staying outside. Incredible text, incredibly sung. Tearjerker.
- 4. Everybody Wants To Rule The World by Tears for Fears
I might have chosen "Mad World" or "Shout". I didn't for the sake of commitment shown by the band. It makes me sing no matter of the mood I'm in. Every party's inevitable position.
- 3. Slave To Love by Brian Ferry
Show me better ambience?! Always brings me the memory of "9 1/2 weeks" - just as the movie unrepeatable masterpiece.
- 2. Run Away, Turn Away by Bronsky Beat
The sound of freedom. Breaks the reality. Though the time goes by, that song will never get old.
- 1. Smooth Operator by Sade
"No place for begginers of senistive hearts..." That's a song of extremly deep emotions. However it definitly wouldn't be the same without Sade. The song that's a hit that will never make you bored.
Reflex (Duran Duran),We are the World(USA 4 Africa),You're my Heart You're my soul(Modern Talking),Hello(Lionel Richi),Wake me up before u go go(WHAM!),One More Try(George Michael),Nikita(Elton John),Bad(MJ).....
By: Robert Swanson
- 10. Take My Breath Away by Berlin
Top Gun. Goose we will miss you, until you are in Revenge of the Nerds, and ER!
- 9. Billie Jean by Michael Jackson
Before his days as Jacko the Wacko
- 8. Here I Go Again by Whitesnake
Can anybody say "Old School"
- 7. Power of Love by Huey Lewis and The News
Back to The Future
- 6. Sharp Dress Man by ZZ Top
The women in those videos made me want to grow a beard. Sadly mother nature has not helped me.
- 5. Everybody Wants To Rule The World by Tears For Fear
This song defines every super villians dream
- 4. Hip To Be Square by Huey Lewis and The news
It's hip to listen to this song
- 3. In The Air Tonight by Phil Collins
- 2. Ghostbusters by Ray Parker Jr.
Loved Ghostbusters. Plus this song added that extra thing that made the movie.
- 1. Take On Me by Aha
The music video says it all. This was it as far as my childhood goes.
By: Peter B
- 10. Turning Japanese by The Vapors
- 9. Strut by Sheena Easton
I don't know about how great the song really is but Sheena was hot.
- 8. Cruel Summer by Bananrama
Caught my attention in the Karate Kid
- 7. Walk This Way by Run DMC
Love the early rap. [Editor: I'm pretty sure this a case of mistaken identity, since this song is by Aerosmith, featuring Run DMC]
- 6. Ghostbusters by Ray Parker Jr.
- 5. Girls Just Want To Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper
- 4. We Built This City by Starship
- 3. Where's the Party by Madonna
Fantastic party song especially if played on the "You can Dance" album where it follows "Into the Groove" without interruption.
- 2. What's on Your Mind (Pure Energy) by Information Society
British group with excellent background and mixing.
- 1. We Didn't Start the Fire by Billy Joel
Just squeaked in at the end of the 90s. Listen carefully and you can learn a lot about history
[Editor: A lot of confusion seem to exist about when Starship band was called what, so here goes (Qoute: Wikipedia): 1965-1972: Jefferson Airplane 1974-1984: Jefferson Starship 1984-1989: Starship 1989: Reunited as Jefferson Aiplane for one album 1991-Present: Jefferson Starship TNG Just in case anyone is interested]
- 10. You've Got Another Thing Coming by Judas Priest
Just a darn cool song.
- 9. Making Love out of Nothing at All by Air Supply
Another great love ballad in the same vein as Total Eclipse.
- 8. Wanted Dead or Alive by Bon Jovi
Again, I really like Hair bands.
- 7. Crazy Train by Ozzy Osbourne
This just rocks. Coolest song with the coolest lyrics ever.
- 6. Coming Home by Cinderella
Yep, I like Hair bands.
- 5. Bringin on the Heartbreak by Def Leppard
Best from the Lep.
- 4. Wildside by Motley Crue
My favorite Crue song. The drums and guitar work on this just kick butt. And the video rocks my socks! Tommy Lee on a rotating drum!
- 3. Crimson and Clover by Joan Jett
The first lady of 80's rock.
- 2. These are the Days by Van Morrison
Great song. Very relaxing.
- 1. Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler
Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! Not only is this my favorite 80's song, it's my favorite of all time. It's so sad and so dramatic. Great song.
Honorable mentions: Midnight Oil - Beds are Burning; INXS - Mystify; Golden Earring - Twilight Zone.
- 10. Blister In the Sun by Violent Femmes
- 9. Bark At The Moon by Ozzy
- 8. Run To the Hills by Iron Maiden
- 7. Def Leppard by Under Fire
couldn't choose which song I liked better. Under Fire-- from Pyromania and Hysteria---title track from Hysteria
- 6. Voodoo by Black Sabbath
from Mob Rules 1982
- 5. Rock Hard, Ride Free by Judas Priest
from Defenders of the Faith 1984
- 4. Blue Monday by New Order
- 3. I Ran by Flock of Seagulls
- 2. Enjoy the Silence by Depeche Mode
-the album was released in late '89 so this counts as an 80s song
- 1. I Will Follow by U2
- 10. Waiting by The Dugites
another song I'm looking for
- 9. Far Side Of Crazy by Wall Of Voodoo
- 8. I Always Close My Eyes To Look Into The Sun by The Expression
where can i get this song?
- 7. Are Friends Electric by Gary Numan
- 6. Please Don't Go by KC And The Sunshine Band
- 5. Room Full Of Diamonds by The Radiators
- 4. New Years Day by U2
big U2 fan
- 3. Tantalized by The Church
2SM coached me on this church album HEYDAY back in '85 very trancey
- 2. Love Over Gold by Dire Straits
what more can i say!
- 1. Great Southern Land by Icehouse
should be the aussie national anthem
i'm mainly interested in songs that don't get played anymore,or the songs i haven't heard for a long time,the forgotten song if you will.
By: Lauren McCall
- 10. Don´'t You Want Me Baby? by Human League
everyone loves this song
- 9. Theme Tune by The A - Team
even if you've never seen the tv show, you've gotta have heard the theme. I pity the fool that ain't!
- 8. Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go by Wham!
guaranteed to put a smile on anyones face
- 7. 500 Miles by Proclaimers
a true scottish classic!
- 6. Down Under by Men At Work
funniest song i've ever heard in my life . . . and that was before i even seen the video
- 5. Come On Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners
another party essential! you cant not dance when this comes on
- 4. Never Gonna give You Up by Rick Astley
one of my fav songs ever! and hes a great dancer!! the mans a genius!
- 3. You Spin Me Round (Like A Record) by Dead Or Alive
this song just defines the 80's! always one to get people up and dancing
- 2. Money for Nothing by Dire Straits
fantastic song, one of their best id say (and theres a lot of them)
- 1. Red Red Wine by UB40
best ever band in the world, and the song is just an all time classic
the 80s was probably the decade with the best music, it was revolutionary and shaped the music we listen to today. cept the 80s stuff was better.
By: Sebastian Humpert
- 10. The Unforgettable Fire by U2
- 9. You're The Inspiration by Chicago
This is as good as "Hard To Say I'm Sorry" and "If You Leave Me Now".
- 8. Sunset Grill by Don Henley
I used to hate this song, but now I love it.
- 7. Dirty Laundry by Don Henley
I love that Don Henley song. It's so cool. A female artist redid this Don Henley song ridiculously. Sometimes when people ridiculously remake those songs for no reason, that's called spamming up the playlist. And these remakes are driving me nuts!!!!!
- 6. Pride (In The Name Of Love) by U2
- 5. Black Velvet by Alannah Myles
This is an early 90's song that's close to the 80's. [Editor: Allanah's self-titled album came out in 1989]
- 4. Total Eclipse Of The Heart by Bonnie Tyler
I think this song is less annoying then other female artists. I like this song. Nikki French ridiculously redid this Bonnie Tyler song, but the cover sounds quite confusing.
- 3. Woman by John Lennon
I also love this song too.
- 2. Hard To Say I'm Sorry by Chicago
This Chicago song is a cool tune from the 80's. I still love it.
- 1. Just Like Starting Over by John Lennon
I love that song. That's a beautiful song. I love his voice. John Lennon was shot and killed two decades ago.
I love 80's songs.
- 10. Cruel Summer by Banarama
It's fun, catchy and very bubbly.....
- 9. The Tide is High by Blondie
Great summer song, very upbeat
- 8. The Rose by Bette Midler
- 7. Everything Counts by Depeche Mode
Love this song
- 6. Take on Me by A-ha
Another wonderful song and video
- 5. Madame Butterfly by Malcolm McClaren
What an amazing blend of pop and opera, fantastic.
- 4. Two Tribes by Frankie Goes to Hollywood
Awesome song and video
- 3. Situation by Yazoo
Great song from an incredible debute 1982 album
- 2. Rapture by Blondie
First rap song to hit #1, ground breaking!!!
- 1. Call Me by Blondie
The #1 Song of 1980, was #1 for 6wks, awesome start to elctro pop of the 1980's
Blondie are the defintive 1980's artist, they opened New Wave wide open, electronic and rap would not have been as big, if they did have such a monster hit in 1979 with Heart of Glass, and the visual appeal of Deborah Harry, just smashed down all walls, and the bands all flooded in... Call me cemented their contribution to rock history, and Rapture made Blondie legends.
- 10. They Don't Know by Tracey Ullman
A hidden classic, from 1984, from a woman who would become more famous for her comedy.
- 9. In A Big Country by Big Country
Great dance classic, and one of the view that I can name that uses an accordian. So Scottish.
- 8. Cry by Godley & Creme
This makes my list for the falsetto near the end of the tune.
- 7. Voices Carry by 'til Tuesday
Great tune showing Aimee Mann's vocals at her best.
- 6. When Doves Cry by Prince
Prince, at his best.
- 5. Fast Car by Tracey Chapman
My favorite near the end of the decade song. Such a great tune about longing for something better. I still remember being blown away by this tune when I first heard it back in 1988 when I was 24 years old.
- 4. In Your Eyes by Peter Gabriel
Great slow and romantic song. Tough choice, but my personal favorite of Gabriel's tunes.
- 3. Would I Lie To You? by Eurythmics
Love Annie's vocals on this song.
- 2. Walk Like An Egyptian by Bangles
The best dance tune of the decade, in my opinion.
- 1. The Boys Of Summer by Don Henley
By: veronica dockery
- 10. Have A Drink On Me by AC/DC
i really like this song and like when someone asks me that question!
- 9. Girls Girls Girls by Mötley Crüe
- 8. Sweet Child O Mine by guns n roses
- 7. You Shook Me All Night Long by AC/DC
- 6. These Dreams by Heart
- 5. Jesses Girl by Rick Springfield
my moms name was jessi and everytime my friends heard this song they picked on me ya know it didnt bother me though!
- 4. Is This Love? by Whitesnake
- 3. Cherry Pie by Warrant
i was their cherry pie!
- 2. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper
oh girlss justa wanna have fun!!!
- 1. Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Leppard
i love this song it is so sexy!
i might have grew up mostly in the 90s but i love the 80s!
- 10. Where the Streets have no name by U2
- 9. Take My Breath Away by Berlin
- 8. Time After Time by Cyndi Lauper
- 7. Friday I'm in Love by The Cure
- 6. Final Countdown by Europe
- 5. Take on Me by A-Ha
- 4. We Will Rock You by Queen
- 3. Save A Prayer by Duran Duran
- 2. Pride by U2
- 1. Sunday Bloody Sunday by U2
I don't belive that u2 song aren't importan for you!
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.