In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
- 10. Roll Over Beethoven by ELO
great guitar riff!
- 9. You Took The Words Right Out Of My Mouth by Meatloaf
- 8. Modern Love by David Bowie
- 7. Amazed by Lonestar
- 6. Kyrie by Mr Mister
- 5. Eyes Without A Face by Billy Idol
- 4. Love Is The Drug by Roxie Music
- 3. Edge Of Seventeen by Stevie Nicks
- 2. Here I Go Again by Whitesnake
- 1. Building A Bridge To Your Heart by Wax
Some of these may not be eighties, can't remember!
By: Sarah williams
- 10. London Calling by The Clash
Rolling Stone Magazine voted the album "London Calling" the best album of the 80ies.
- 9. Beat it by Michael Jackson
He was the King of Pop.
- 8. Enjoy the Silence by Depeche Mode
They had so many good songs... it is almost a shame I listed them only once.
- 7. Blue Monday by New Order
Don't you think this is probably the most covered song in history of pop music?
- 6. Cruel Summer by Bananarama
Hey, they were the Spice Girls of the Eighties!
- 5. Strange Little Girl by The Stranglers
A must have in every collection, a song that still touches me.
- 4. Stray Cat Strut by The Stray Cats
When the Eighties kissed the Fifties.
- 3. Kids in America by Kim Wilde
Gosh, she was so sexy!
- 2. Come on Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners
I almost talked my mom into buying me an overall.
- 1. Temptation by Heaven 17
It was always a really good song, but it got even better in "Trainspotting"...
There was Pop, New Wave, Rockabillie, Mod, Ska, Reggae... How could anyone have ever listened to Van Halen when there was so much cool music from England. Jump just sucked.
- 10. Power Of Love by Huey Lewis and The News
Back To The Future!! haha
- 9. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper
The girls national athem!
- 8. Jessie's Girl by Rick Springfield
- 7. Wind Beneath My Wings by Bette Midler
One word..Beaches :'(
- 6. The Way You Make Me Feel by Micheal Jackson
Its micheal i mean c'mon:)
- 5. Take On Me by A-Ha
- 4. I Love Rock and Roll by Joan Jett & the blackhearts
Brittany spears wrecked this song!..
- 3. Don't You Forget About Me by Simple Minds
Awesome song, to go with an even more awesome movie:)
- 2. The Dance by Garth Brooks
I LOVE THIS SONG! always makes me cry haha
- 1. True Colours by Cyndi Lauper
I Love the 80's some of the best songs were created in that decade...its a shame i wasn't old enough to enjoy it! xoxL.L
By: mike the killa
- 10. Big In Japan by Alphaville
Classic 80's beat with a twist.
- 9. The Walk, Jerk Out by Morris Day and the Time
Hilarious singer and crazy background music.
- 8. Land Down Under by Men At Work
These are what the 80's are all about.
- 7. Don't Stop Believing by Journey
Classic songs that rival bon jovi.
- 6. The Message by Grandmaster Flash
The rap song that started rap music in my opinion.
- 5. Jeanny, Out of the Dark by Falco
Crazy 80's beats with a catchy german voice.
- 4. Dazz Band by Let it Whip
Catchy tune and beat.
- 3. Drive by The Cars
Emotional? I'd say so.
- 2. Tarzan Boy by Baltimora
Background music makes me want to swing from a tree in the jungle.
- 1. Corey Hart by Sunglasses at night
This song is what started it all.
Other favorites include: Mister Mister - Kyrie, Phil Collins - Take me home, Power Station - We fight for love, Rick Springfield - Jessie's Girl, Toto - Hold the Line. Once an 80's boy always an 80's boy. Glad to help you 80's fans out!
By: Jade Rya
- 10. Two Tickets To Paradise by Eddie Money
Im shure some of yous must of at least once cranked this one up in your car and sang along to it :D
- 9. Hold on Loosely by .38 special
awsome song! :D
- 8. Chippin Away by Night Ranger
Almost every Night Ranger song is a great song, this one is one of my Favorites of the album Midnight Madness :D
- 7. On the Loose by Saga
Another Great Song! The night I first Listened to this song Carrys alot of memories in general, the song just kinda suited with the night :D
- 6. Your Love by The Outfield
Great Song! so many memories.
- 5. Holiday by Nazareth
Nother song i used to Cruise down the interstate singing with friends
- 4. Love is Alright Tonight by Rick Springfield
great song! so many of memories.
- 3. The Kid is Hot tonite by Loverboy
Good memories of spending the day cruzing down the interstate with a group of friends singing along to the Song blaring in the background *thank goodness most of my friends were blessed with good vocals..lol*
- 2. Stone in Love by Journey
***lyrics: Those crazy nights i do remember in my youth, I do recall those were the best times most of all*** Those lyrics and that crooning voice still plays in my mind today when i think back to my younger days :D For me i can do a whole Page on Journey/ Steve Perry.
- 1. Rock n Roll Party in the Street by Axe
**Lyrics:Lets have a knock down drag out Rock n Roll party in the Street. get all the boys together have 'em tell everybody that they meet, friday night at midnight were all gonna get what we need** this song is one of the ultamate party songs and well deserves this placement on the top of my list :D
There is soooo many songs i could of added, some of the honorable mentions are High & Dry- Def Leppard, suddenly last summer- Motels, my kinda lover-Billy Squire, working for the weekend- Loverboy & many of journey songs including my all time favorite song Girl cant help it (reason i didnt put it on the list is because my daughter will be having it at the top of her list & i wanted to give reconition to some of the other songs:)
- 10. Tears Run Rings by Marc Almond
It was incredibly difficult placing one last song on this list so I pretty much just chose whatever since I would undoubtedly be leaving off at LEAST a hundred other favorites. Great, very catchy song, even better than his work with Soft Cell.
- 9. But Not Tonight by Depeche Mode
It was ultra-hard to choose my favorite Depeche Mode track but this one hits a very pleasant note with me. It's very emotive and has a great synth line. But then again, I could've easily replaced this with about 10 other DM favs. Oh well.
- 8. Over the Wall by Testament
I realize this Top 10 list could've been broken down into MANY of my favorite 80s sub-categories and with Thrash Metal, there just isn't enough room to include all your favorites. "Over the Wall" by Testament NEEDS to be on here, though, an all-time classic. Fast, furious, GREAT harsh vocals. Probably my favorite 80s thrash metal band, too.
- 7. When Doves Cry by Prince
Should I even say anything about this choice? As far as pure pop songs go, this is probably one of the most oft-remembered and loved. The entire Purple Rain soundtrack is incredible as well.
- 6. Heresy by Paradox
Very obscure late-80s thrash metal band from Germany. "Heresy" is the title song to their 1989 LP and it's a great little thrasher. Melodic, hard, unique guitar playing, Anthrax-like singing... It has it all.
- 5. Tenderness by General Public
Sweet, cute, charming and very danceable new wave classic. Great singing, production, arrangement = unbeatable.
- 4. Point of No Return by Expose
Favorite freestyle tune hands down. Well, maybe tied with Company B's "Fascinated" but I'd like to share a wide variety of music on this list so I got to choose. Expose wins; amazing, amazing song.
- 3. Everyday is Halloween by Ministry
I love all of Ministry's work throughout the '80s. From their early new wave output and on through their harder industrial-metal sound. This one keeps me comin' back for more, though.
- 2. Baby Talk by Alisha
Madonna rip-off? Maybe. Another era-defining song and oh so catchy. And how about that brief guitar solo towards the end? Short but sweet.
- 1. Don't You (Forget About Me) by Simple Minds
Perhaps an obvious choice but *this* song defines the '80s. Fantastic tune and without my all-time favorite, EVER.
So, with this list I TRIED incorporating a little bit of everything from the '80s. But looking over it now, I realize I failed. I didn't place any true industrial on here. The likes of Front 242, Nitzer Ebb, Skinny Puppy and late '80s Ministry could've easily fit on here, SOMEWHERE. I also didn't include any hair metal, ya know, Cinderella, Skid Row, Def Leppard, Dokken - just some of my favorites. Punk/post-punk/college rock/alternative rock is also missing from my list - Sonic Youth's "Teenage Riot" is THE guitar-driven post-punk/college rock anthem of the '80s. Can't forget My Bloody Valentine, early REM, Dinosaur Jr and Black Flag ("TV Party!") I've left off Madonna, Michael Jackson, Hall and Oates, Taylor Dayne. I left out New Order. This is depressing. And how about the plethora of new-wave one-hit wonders? Oh jesus. Dance-pop, freestyle, industrial, synth pop, hair metal, thrash metal, death metal, progressive metal, arena rock, pure pop, alternative rock, death rock (TSOL, Christian Death, 45 Grave, Virgin Prunes, amongst others)..AAAAggggghhhh!!!! My brain can't think. OK, I should stop. This is getting out of hand. Thanx for readin'.
- 10. Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) by The Eurythmics
"Sweet dreams are made of this/who am I to disagree?/I travel the world and the seven seas/everybody's lookin' for somethin'"
- 9. White Wedding by Billy Idol
"Hey little sister/who is it you're with?/Hey little sister/what's your vice and wish?/Hey little sister shotgun/oh yeah/Hey little sister/who's your superman?/Hey little sister shotgun"
- 8. Head Over Heels by Tears for Fears
"Something happens/and I'm head over heels/I never find out/'til I'm head over heels/Something happens/and I'm head over heels/Don't take my heart/don't break my heart/Don't, don't, don't throw it away"
- 7. Whip It by Devo
"When a good time rolls around/you must whip it/You will never live it down/unless you whip it"
- 6. The Metro by Berlin
"You wore white/smiling as you took my hand/So, we moved/we spoke of wintertime in France"
- 5. Personal Jesus by Depeche Mode
"Lift up the reciever/I'll make you a believer/I will deliver/you know I'm a forgiver/Reach out and touch faith"
- 4. She Bop by Cyndi Lauper
"See him everynight in tight blue jeans/in the pages of a blue boy magazine/I've been thinking of a new sensation/I'm picking up good vibrations"
- 3. Killer Klowns by The Dickies
"P.T. Barnum said it so long ago/there's one born every minute don't you know/Some will make us laugh, some make us cry/these clowns, honey, gonna make you die"
- 2. Mr. Roboto by Styx
"I'm not a robot/without emotions/I'm not what you see/I've come to help you/with your problems/so we can be free"
- 1. Nasty Habits by Oingo Boingo
"Do you like to romp and play/by yourself when they're away/Nasty affair/what do I care?"
Great lyrics. Great sounds. Great songs.
By: Daniel Gomez
- 10. 68 Guns by The Alarm
Songs about youth, can't go wrong.
- 9. Under Pressure by Queen and David Bowie
You are missed too Freddy Mercury
- 8. Under the Killing Moon by Echo and the Bunnymen
- 7. The Ghost in You by Psychadelic Furs
- 6. You Can Call Me Al by Paul Simon
A good song, end of Chevy Chase's carrer.
- 5. The Reflex by Duran Duran
- 4. There is a Light That Never Goes Out by The Smiths
Can't forget them!
- 3. Just Like Heaven by The Cure
An awsome band!
- 2. In a Big Country by Big Country
I miss you Stuart Adamson.
- 1. Take on Me by A-ha
Simply the Best!
By: Dr. NRG
- 10. I Remember You by Skid Row
I still think Sebastian Bach had one of the best Rocker vocals ever. This was concidered a Heavy Metal ballad, but there is nothing soft about it. Think Warrant, but harder!
- 9. Living On Video by Trans-X
Another KROQ classic. Dance New Wave at it's best. All over the disco clubs in mid 80's.
- 8. Caught Up In You by 38-Special
Between Boston and Foghat and Kansas, these Southern Rockers are my favs. These song even has the traditional guitar jamming ending. It's total CLASSIC ROCK!
- 7. Round & Round by Ratt
I'm a Rocker, but I also like Pop and dance, So this one mixes all 3. A Heavy Metal song that makes you wanna dance. SWEET!!
- 6. Dancin' In Heaven by Q-Feel
This one is allways on KROQ's top 500 of All Time. It's not really New wave nor dance, but more like NEW WAVE Dance. The vocals do it for me!
- 5. You Spin Me Round(Like A Record) by Dead Or Alive
Best title for a song ever. Just throw it on your turn table and hear it spin. Pete Burns best Macho voice for a gay guy. This defines 80's new wave pop for me.
- 4. Love Spy by Mike Mareen
This German High Energy song came out in late 87. The Tuffest Disco song ever. It was between this one and Boom Boom Let's Go back To My Room
- 3. Photograph by Def Leppard
My Favorute Rockers of all-Time. These guys have so many hits, it's scarey. Joe Elliot best vocals ever. This band has withstood so many tragedies and plus the video for this song actually had something to do with the song
- 2. Jessie's Girl by Rick Springfield
Am the the only one who remembers this rocker from Dr. Noah Drake? Catchy Catchy. Superb guitar intro.
- 1. Shake It Up by The Cars
Actually my favorites from them are in the late 70's, but since we are talking 80's, let's say this one is a rocker ,dance tune and pop brilliance all rolled into one
So many great songs in the 80's. I couldn't fit Journey,Madonna,Duran Duran, George Michael. But these are definatly my favs and you still hear them on the radio. Also check out my 90's and 70's lists. Especially if you like the Cars.
Just a few. I love Tpau and just like heaven too!
- 10. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper
1983. Infectious Pop. Great video. I like this song even more now that I have a daughter ("Oh Daddy Dear, you know you're still number 1; but girls, they want to have fun.")
- 9. Power of Love by Huey Lewis and the News
1985. One of the best songs from the 80's from one of the best movies of the 80's (Back to the Future).
- 8. Tenderness by General Public
1984. One of those songs you can't help but like when you hear it played. Infectious.
- 7. And We Danced by The Hooters
1985. Great song from the Phildelphia based band.
- 6. Super Freak by Rick James
1981. Often Imitated. Never Duplicated. The BEST FUNK song of the 80's
- 5. Wishing (If I Had a Photograph of You) by A Flock of Seagulls
1982. Most people choose "I Ran" as their favorite song, but I think this haunting, hypnotic song was their best. Saw them with The Fixx and The Police at Sullivan Stadium in Foxboro, Ma in 1983.
- 4. I Can Dream About You by Dan Hartman
1984. From the movie Streets of Fire. Great song. Brings back memories of a lost love.
- 3. Everybody Wants to Rule the World by Tears for Fears
1985/Summer/Cape Cod, Massachusetts. Nuff said.
- 2. She Blinded Me With Science by Thomas Dolby
1982. Another fun 80's song. Loved that synth-pop sound! And of course Magnus Pyke shouting "Science!".
- 1. Come on Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners
1982. A classic 80's song. For some reason some people hate this song as much as I like it. Don't know why, it's a fun 80's song.
1 of 2. These songs are in no particular order. I tried to pick songs that weren't by the 80's superstars (Michael Jackson, Prince, Springsteen, The Police, U2 etc). These songs all have one thing in common. When I hear them I am transported back to the 80's. I started the 80's as a 16 year old sophmore in high school and finished them as a working stiff at a downtown Boston office. Most of these songs are pre 1985, when I was younger and my life was ahead of me. Good times, great memories.
- 10. Take On Me by A-ha
1985. No list of 80's songs is complete without this one and its memorable video.
- 9. Strip by Adam Ant
1983. Naughty but fun pop music from Adam Ant
- 8. Summer of '69 by Bryan Adams.
1984. You could replace 69 with any year and it appeals to anyone who was 17 in 19-- or 20--. A song that brings you wistfully back to lost youth.
- 7. Walking on Sunshine by Katrina and the Waves
1985. How can you feel down when this song comes on?! Just a feel good summer song. Get up and Dance!
- 6. Land of A Thousand Dances by J Geils Band
1982. LIVE VERSION. Yeah, yeah, it's a 60's song, but Geils made it their own by infusing it with their 80's funk rock style. I will NEVER get sick of this song
- 5. We Belong by Pat Benatar
1984. Great song by a woman with great vocals.
- 4. One Thing Leads to Another by The Fixx
1983. This song blew me away when I first heard it. Terse, pulsating, funky, rockin. This song had IT!
- 3. Jessie's Girl by Rick Springfield
1981. POP Rock done great.
- 2. You Dropped A Bomb On Me by The Gap Band
1982. THE Group to dance to in the 80's. Just one of their many great dance hits from that decade.
- 1. Down Under by Men at Work
1982. A joyful, comic song about Australians travelling the world with confidence in the virtues of their country. How can you NOT love this song?!
2 of 2. I could add dozens of other songs but will stop with these two lists. The 80's. They were fun and the music still is!
By: jeff labbé
- 10. The Final Countdown by Europe
this song is a revolution in the music world
- 9. Eye Of The Tiger by Survivor
- 8. Livin' On A Prayer by Bon Jovi
I don't why I put this song at this place It's a top 5
- 7. Every Breath You Take by The Police
- 6. Jump by Van Halen
- 5. Here I Go Again by Whitesnakes
- 4. Wind Of Changes by Scorpions
one of the best soft rock tunes
- 3. Strange Animal by Gowan
I couldn't pass over this song for sure
- 2. Heaven Is A Place On Earth by Belinda Carisle
very hot for a song who didn't rock
- 1. Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Leppard
This song have just change my life. It's THE song of the 80's
As you have seen I love the rock and I have surely fogoten a lot of super hit but now i think this is my good top 10 and I want to say Def lepard was the best group of the 80's and of the world ROCK N' ROLL
- 10. song 10 by band 10
- 9. song 9 by band 9
- 8. song 8 by band 8
- 7. song 7 by band 7
- 6. song 6 by band 6
- 5. song 5 by band 5
- 4. song 4 by band 4
- 3. song 3 by band 3
- 2. song 2 by band 2
- 1. song 1 by band 1
- 10. Rock The Casbah by The Clash
I love the clash and this song is catchy and cool.
- 9. Down In It by Nine Inch Nails
Don't know why i love this song... but i do.
- 8. Fight For Your Right by Beastie Boys
Great Song... never gets old.
- 7. Should I Stay Or Should I Go? by The Clash
Best Song By The Clash.
- 6. You Shook Me All Night Long by Ac/Dc
i love this song its just cool
- 5. Brass Monkey by Beastie Boys
I love this beat its sooo...catchy.
- 4. I Wanna Be Sedated by The Ramones
Don't know if this came out in the 80's or 70's but still awesome song.
- 3. Head Like A Hole by Nine Inch Nails
Great debut album, i heard he made it while he was cleaning toilets at a recording studio, and he recorded a demo and got a deal.
- 2. Paul Revere by Beastie Boys
I'm a huge beastie boys fan and this is one of their finest.
- 1. No Sleep Till Brooklyn by Beastie Boys
This is the best 80's songe ever! it make me want to puke its sooooooo good.
- 10. Back In Black by AC/DC
- 9. Billy Jean by Micheal Jackson
Hate the guy, hate the song, but the truth hurts.
- 8. Down Under by Men At Work
- 7. One Way Or Another by Blondie
- 6. Goodnight Saigon by Billy Joel
- 5. Tainted Love by Soft Cell
- 4. Mr. Roboto by Styx
Is there a subliminal backmasked message at the end when they repat "Killroy! Killroy!"?
- 3. Drive by Cars
- 2. You Shook Me All Night Long by AC/DC
Dont let the name decieve you from what a great song this really is. Another hit from AC/DC to open the 80's with a bang.
- 1. Africa by Toto
- 10. Middle Of The Road by The Pretenders
Great song with a great groove.
- 9. Welcome To The Occupation by REM
When I bought Document way back in the day, this quickly became my favorite cut on the album. It remains one of my favorite REM tunes.
- 8. Only Time Will Tell by Asia
This song just sounds great.
- 7. Hello by Lionel Ritchie
Great romantic tune.
- 6. Rio by Duran Duran
The song that made me a Duran Duran fan.
- 5. I Fought The Law by The Clash
Kicka** remake of the old Buddy Holly tune.
- 4. Gold by Spandau Ballet
A great uplifting tune.
- 3. The Sun Always Shines On TV by A-Ha
Better than Take On Me, IMHO.
- 2. Come On Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners
A good song with a lot of good memories attached.
- 1. Never Say Goodbye by Bon Jovi
The song just reminds me of the great times I had in the 80s.
Honorable mention should also go to: Die With Your Boots On-Iron Maiden, One-Metallica, Cum On Feel The Noise-Quiet Riot, Nothin' But A Good Time-Poison, and Patience-Guns 'N' Roses. With so many excellent 80s tunes out there, I could probably fill out ten of these lists!
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.