In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
I know.. this is basically the ultimate power ballads list but does it really get any better than these classics? :)
By: Laura Merdian
- 10. Like A Virgin by Madonna
The best song ever.
- 9. Manic Monday by The Bangles
- 8. How Will I Know by Whitney Houston
- 7. Smooth Operater by Sade
Very good song.
- 6. Circles In The Sand by Belinda Carlisile
- 5. Celebration by Kool And The Gang
- 4. Our Lips Are Sealed by The Gogos
- 3. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun by Cydni Lauper
The popular song for girls and one of the best.
- 2. Beat It by Micheal Jackson
The song is really fun to dance to.
- 1. Wrapped Around Your Finger by The Police
The last single from the last Police cd from 1983.
The songs are excellent to listen to.
By: Joe Alexander
- 10. Everybody Have Fun Tonight by Wang Chung
This is a classic. A party song of the 80's that can't be miss.
- 9. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper
Though is a bit girly, it's a great song.
- 8. Down Under by Men At Work
Excellent video and lyric, very funny.
- 7. Living On Video by Trans-x
A wired song, but also a great one. Excellent in the past and can be heard in the present too.
- 6. Maniac by Michael Sembello
Another party song that you must play in your party. Nice girl in the video.
- 5. Don't You Want Me Baby by Human League
Awesome song. It's a pitty that there are some better songs and that's why it's not number one.
- 4. You Spin Me Round (like A Record) by Dead Or Alive
Similar song than Trans-x's one. Nice rhythm.
- 3. Oh L'amour by Erasure
Until today it still sorprises me. Oh l'amoouurrrrrrrrrr.
- 2. Bin In Japan by Alphaville
It's one of the songs that made me like the 80's.
- 1. Tarzan Boy by Baltimora
This is not a great band. It only has one hit. But it's THE HIT. I love this song. It hasn't negative points. The video is amazing too. =) Like tarzan boyyyyyyyyy ohhhhhhhhh ohhhhhhhh
I was born on the 80's, but I didn't realize its greatness until last year. Since then I'm a big 80's fan.
By: Courtney Anne
excellent site. how fun !
- 10. Somebody's Watching Me by Rockwell (feat. Michael Jackson)
I remember liking this song so much when I was a kid I'd play it over and over while I was playing with my Voltron. <:D
- 9. Break My Stride by Matthew Wilder
- 8. Electric Avenue by Eddy Grant
Few songs bring back a flood of nostalgia of my 80's childhood. I can't explain why, but this is one of them.
- 7. Burning Down The House by Talking Heads
These guys are wierdos, but they had a unique sound and style that separated them from everyone else. To this day their style is in a catagory of its own.
- 6. As The Days Go By by Talking Heads
I tried not to repeat any artists here, but this one deserves a spot on the list. One of the best.
- 5. 99 Luft Balloons by Nena
The English version. Well... because I don't understand the other one. /shrug
- 4. Cars by Gary Numan
Another definitive sound of the 80's era of music. I wonder if this guy ever had any other hits.
- 3. Safety Dance by Men Without Hats
Midieval midgets FTW! Notice the lead guy talks down to people who don't dance, but he's the only one that never dances throughout the whole video... strange.
- 2. Come On Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners
I love this song. I don't know much about the band but for some reason Im under the impression that they're from Ireland or somewhere like that.
- 1. Sweet Dreams by The Eurythmics
The synthetic music and female vocals pretty much overall define 80's sound. If one song could represent 80's music to me this would be the one.
As someone else mentioned, I too love the 80's generation of music so much I can easilly make a list of 100. In fact I compiled an 8 disc set of all my favorites. About 150 songs that never get tired of listening to. Contact cityratt at hotmail if you might be interested in a copy of my "80's Generation" 8 disc set.
- 10. I Feel For You by Chaka Khan
- 9. Hard Habit To Break by Chicago
I guess I thought you'd be here forever/another illusion I chose to create/don't know what you got/until its gone/but I found out a little too late
- 8. Don't You (Forget About Me) by Simple Minds
If you haven't seen the Breakfast Club, go home and watch it right now!
- 7. Crazy For You by Madonna
See I'm crazy for you/touch me once and you'll know its true/ I never wanted anyone like this/it's so brand new/the feeling in my kiss/I'm crazy for you
- 6. Oh Sheila by Ready For The World
oh, oh sheila/I'm gonna love you till the morning comes!
- 5. Hungry Eyes by Eric Carmen
I love Dirty Dancing! hungry eyes/I can feel the magic between you and I
- 4. Night And Day by Al.Be.Sure!
I can tell you how I feel about you night and day!
- 3. The Pleasure Priniciple by Janet Jackson
One of her greatest songs ever!
- 2. Don't Disturb This Groove by System
don't disturb this groove/just a way to tell you that/I'm so into you/don't disturb this groove Yea!
- 1. Tender Love by Force M.D.s
this song is so beautiful, makes you want to find that special someone!
- 10. Moonlight Shadow by Mike Oldfield
What incredible voice . It's a shame that Maggie Really isn't recognized from many people .
- 9. Holiday by Madonna
Memories . Party and everything with that .
- 8. The Race by Yello
I am a Formula 1 fan , this song is dangerous . If i listen in a car , i'm just forget about brakes , and i'm going on full throttle.
- 7. Sussudio by Phil Collins
Try to listen the bass section . It's incredible .
- 6. Silent Running by Mike & The Mechanics
Yeah . It's no Genesis . It's slightly commercial , but still i can listen over and over again .
- 5. Always On My Mind by Pet Shop Boys
Maybe the best pop cover of all times.
- 4. Maneater by Hall & Oates
Great feeling . One of the best "sax" solo in a pop song .
- 3. In The Air Tonight by Phil Collins
Masterpiece . I couldn't believed that's real .Once you heard it , you can't forget it .
- 2. The Power Of Love by Frankie Goes to Hollywood
This is the only song when you can cry as a man , nobody will be surprised .
- 1. Isn't It Midnight by Fleetwood Mac
The Best Guitar Solo ever . 50 seconds . Breathtaking .
It's a mix about memories and musical preferences about the 80's the best years in pop/rock music .
Now, that is a list if there was a number 11 it would have been When It's Over by Loverboy. Huey Lewis & The News was Great also. Now I hope that all the songs were in 80s as it is the year 2006 and am only 14 so I wasn't born yet. I do have a question what were you people thinking dressing like that what is ya get dressed in the dark. The Generation that I live into today dress worst (besides me). The music back then was a lot better too. Loverboy has to be the best band ever. :p
By: Holly Johnson Hensley
I wasn't born in the 80s. I actually am growing up in the 2000's, but the eighties are the BEST! Kids at school don't even know who Madonna is. I am so out of place
By: javier chavez
- 10. Boys Do Fall In Love by Robin Gibb
WHEN I FELL IN LOVE
- 9. I Will Survive by Gloria Gaynor
THAT SONG MAKES ME STRONG
- 8. Dont Get Me Wrong by Pretenders
I FEEL RELAX WHEN I HEARD THAT SONG
- 7. Rythym Of The Night by Devarge
IT MAKES ME DANCE
- 6. Love's Been A Little Bit For Me by Juice Newton
- 5. Dreaming by Clif Richards
THAT SONG MAKES REMIMDS ME
- 4. Rock N Roll Girl by John Fogerty
I'VE HEAR THAT SONG EVERYTIME I GO TO THE BEACH IN PERU
- 3. Im Going Down by Bruce Springsteen
MY HEART START BEATING WHEN PLAY THIS SONG
- 2. Stumblin In by Suzie Q
I LOVE THIS SONG
- 1. Everlasting Love by Bee Gees
Reminds me of my ex girfriend
HI THERE, I LOVE MUSIC FROM 80'S
By: Shawn D
- 10. Hunting High & Low by a-ha
I am still amazed by what this man could do with his voice!
- 9. In A Big Country by Big Country
The sad eyed singer took his life not long ago - What a missed talent
- 8. Lips Like Sugar by Echo And The Bunnymen
Good mood music
- 7. Video Killed The Radio Star by The Buggles
First song played on MTV - A classic
- 6. The Ghost In You by The Psychedelic Furs
My first concert - one of my all-time fav songs from the P-Furs
- 5. Don't You - Forget About Me by Simple Minds
Awesome Song heard in the Breakfast Club
- 4. Unguarded Moment by The Church
Unbelievable Song - Should not be missed!
- 3. Gloria by U2
When I first saw this on MTV my heart melted - Unlike anything I had heard before
- 2. Whisper To A Scream (bird's Fly) by Icicle Works
Just too good!
- 1. Melt With You by Modern English
First heard in Valley Girl - my alltime fav movie
As a true chick from the 80s - these are some of my special faves and bring back lots of memories as I ready for my 20th highschool reunion! YIKES! Go check them out if you haven't heard them!
By: David Scott Rich
- 10. Fascinated by Company B
Classic '80s club stomper turned pop classic!
- 9. The Politics Of Dancing by Re-flex
A great example of the marriage of pop, dance and new wave in the '80s!
- 8. Situation by Yazoo
Electronica revolution in pop music!
- 7. The Pleasure Principle by Janet Jackson
When Janet made it clear it's okay to dance and like dance music!
- 6. You Spin Me Round (Like A Record) by Dead Or Alive
Disco is not dead! Signaled the arrival of Hi-NRG dance music.
- 5. Let's Go Crazy by Prince & The Revolution
The marriage of rock & R&B that highlighted the genius of Prince!
- 4. Catch Me I'm Falling by Real Life
Classic New Wave tune from an overlooked 80s band!
- 3. What Have I Done To Deserve This? by The Pet Shop Boys With Dusty Springfield
A perfect pop song topped off a hint of a legend!
- 2. Bizarre Love Triangle by New Order
A New Order masterpiece and club classic!
- 1. Into The Groove by Madonna
Quite possibly, the best Madonna club tune of all time! Madonna at her finest!
Dang! This was a hard list to make! So many songs and only 10 choices!
ALL THESE BANDS HAD AND HAVE THEIR PLACE IN MUSIC HISTORY, THEY ALL SHARE HIGH caliber of musicianship & entertainment extravaganza kick arse special mention anthrax among the living
To me, the 80's were more a single driven time than the more album oriented 70's. That is much reflected by the fact that there is much more variation in everyone's 80's list. Also of note is the fact that Progressive rock which dominated the 70's album wise took a back seat to harder rock, particularly metal in its various forms and pop.
By: charlie dugan
It seems that the art of a concept album is a hting of the past and most collectiosn we get today are simply thta... a collection of songs that don't tie together and are driven by what the companies think will sell... too bad. How much creativity have the companies stifled?
I love 80's music! Although these are only 10 of my favorites, there's so many more that could be added to the list!
By: Ryan Reisert
Best band:U2. Other albums: XTC-Black Sea, U2-War, Genesis-Abacab, Phil Collins-Hello, I Must Be Going, Bruce Springsteen-The River, The Cure-Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me
- 10. Sweet Child Of Mine by Guns And Roses
one of my favourites with a classic guitar riff
- 9. Jump by Van Halen
- 8. Tainted Love by Soft Cell
- 7. Total Eclipse Of The Heart by Bonnie Tyler
well, everyone luvs a bit of bonnie
- 6. Prince Charming by Adam And The Ants
one of their classic ones everyone remembers
- 5. Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Leppard
- 4. Karma Chameolean? by Culture Club
- 3. U Spin Me Right Round by Dead Or Alive
- 2. Take On Me by Aha
much better than the cover of it by westlife
- 1. Stand And Deliver by Adam And The Ants
first ever song i'd heard of adam ant and have been hooked eva since
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.